Why do so many people think we are extinct?

guys, its because the western mainstream archeological community says we are extinct. they say modern assyrians developed in the 1st century a.d. and we have nothing to do with ancient assyrians. I know that's not true, but that is their belief and so any western media will follow what they say about that issue. its clear that belief is more influenced by politics than actual science. and that's why in other posts I say things like "the west is deliberately trying to wipe us out", because it seems like the western countries are against our community's best interest in every possible way they can be.

Neta1991 said:
The ancient greeks called the arameans and assyrians syrians. " The people we call syrians,call themselves Arameans ". Syriac church fathers called their people arameans. In the east,  they called them Assyrians, while in the West, the people knew them as Syrians, when talking about Assyrians. The Turabdin people, after the fall of Nineveh, attacked the Babylonians,maybe because the turabdin people ( arameans) became Assyrians, source aina. And many more evidence! I AM A HISTORIAN AND NOT A FANATIC, U LITTLE RAT!

You've said that quote thousands of times and I've already shot it down with Romans correcting the difference between the Arameans and Assyrians.

Secondly, how does that change the fact that Syriac is an Akkadian-mixed Aramaic language?

I know ancient Greeks called Assyrians and Arameans as "Syrian" and I'm going to say it again that the Romans corrected the difference by changing the provinces to Roman Syria (for Arameans) and Roman Assyria+Mesopotamia.

Assyrians differentiated between Ashur and Aramea (called Eber Nari meaning "Across the [Euphrates] river") which actually makes sense of now.

Your Turoyo dialect is influenced from Classical Syriac while Aramean Aramaic (Western Neo-Aramaic) is from the native Aramean Aramaic dialects of old.

If you truly are Aramean, then tell me what the Priest is saying in his prayer in the beginning

! No longer available

If you continue to watch, the Arabic speaking

Then there's the Lords Prayer in Western Aramaic

! No longer available

Did you understand any of the words?

Sounds awfully different than Avo b'Shmayo / Ava b'Shmaya doesn't it? :)

ins001 said:
Sureth should change to that too

Why? The Syriac alphabet is the most advanced form of the original Aramaic alphabet. Not to mention that it was a natively innovated alphabet.

mrzurnaci said:
Why? The Syriac alphabet is the most advanced form of the original Aramaic alphabet. Not to mention that it was a natively innovated alphabet.

I say we should just switch back to the very original, Akkadian. We only borrowed Aramaic from the ancient people of Syria the Arameans (if i'm not mistaken) so now its time to come back to Akkadian our original language made by Atouraye....haha just joking

It just seems much easier to learn the language when the letters don't have to be connected to each other with a line. It looks more organized too.
What do you mean by the Syriac alphabet being the most advanced?

ins001 said:
I say we should just switch back to the very original, Akkadian. We only borrowed Aramaic from the ancient people of Syria the Arameans (if i'm not mistaken) so now its time to come back to Akkadian our original language made by Atouraye....haha just joking

It just seems much easier to learn the language when the letters don't have to be connected to each other with a line. It looks more organized too.

There's no point of switching back to Akkadian considering that Our modern Syriac already uses alot of Akkadian-origin words...

why don't you take a look at this? -> http://assyrianic.deviantart.com/art/Syriac-Aramaic-Diagram-Chart-479930235

The main reason Syriac uses a cursive style (cursive meaning connecting) is because it's easier to write FASTER than spacing out each letter like how Square Aramaic writing is.

I don't need to explain why Syriac alphabet is the most advanced because this picture already sums it up lol -> http://assyrianic.deviantart.com/art/Syriac-Aramaic-Diagram-Chart-479930235

ins001 said:
So the diagram is telling me that Aleph is not a vowel unless it has a rukkaxa or a qussaya?

lmao. Alaph is never a vowel... Alaph can only be used as a vowel indicator (when it's the first or last letter of a word) or a strategic pause (when in the middle of a word)

You barely know the alphabet, yet you want to change it?

mrzurnaci said:
You barely know the alphabet, yet you want to change it?

lol thats the thing, I'm too stubborn to learn how to write something that looks too similar to arabic,

ins001 said:
lol thats the thing, I'm too stubborn to learn how to write something that looks too similar to arabic,

other way around, Arabic looks similar to Syriac...

Syriac is older than Arabic and more developed. Arabic was developed using Syriac as a base.

You insult me with such an ignorant statement.

mrzurnaci said:
other way around, Arabic looks similar to Syriac...
Either way around, same thing. They look like one another and that is just not going to slide down my throat.
mrzurnaci said:
Syriac is older than Arabic and more developed. Arabic was developed using Syriac as a base.
I understand this, but Syriac hasn't been "modernized". What I actually mean by this is that we are in an identity crisis
and people who barely reach the three-digit IQ mark easily confuse us with arabs and that is the last thing we want. So,
I want my language's writing to evolve into something similar to square-script so that it keeps a far distance from arabic or I'am never going to write in that language.

I guess it's just going to happen naturally. Hundreds of years from now Assyrians will create a revival of Neo-Aramaic where it will sound and look different from the way we speak it today. It even happens today on a micro scale, for example, if you had children and you taught them English first and then Aramaic then there Aramaic would sound very soft.
mrzurnaci said:
You insult me with such an ignorant statement.
I'm sorry, I know I'm being shallow-minded but that is my natural perception to this material.

Another example is my brother, he learned English first and then Sureth. One person once remarked "dude, that sounded like every language in the world combined". Another said "are you speaking English backward". Now those are associations that I don't mind, but the other day my friend heard my parents speaking and he said "why are they speaking Muslim?!" I was like "muslim!? MUSLIM!!?? They're speaking JESUS!, they're speaking CHRISTIAN!

ins001 said:
Either way around, same thing. They look like one another and that is just not going to slide down my throat.I understand this, but Syriac hasn't been "modernized". What I actually mean by this is that we are in an identity crisis
and people who barely reach the three-digit IQ mark easily confuse us with arabs and that is the last thing we want. So,
I want my language's writing to evolve into something similar to square-script so that it keeps a far distance from arabic or I'am never going to write in that language.

I guess it's just going to happen naturally. Hundreds of years from now Assyrians will create a revival of Neo-Aramaic where it will sound and look different from the way we speak it today. It even happens today on a micro scale, for example, if you had children and you taught them English first and then Aramaic then there Aramaic would sound very soft.I'm sorry, I know I'm being shallow-minded but that is my natural perception to this material.

Syriac can easily be modernized but it won't be if people don't know or learn the language...

people confuse us with Arabs because Arabs and Arabic is so numerous.

It's also likely those same three digit IQ people mistake Kurds for Arabs as well...

Hell there's even people in the USA that confuse Persians for Arabs just because of the writing despite the language being completely different...

Why distance it from Arabic? I remember being in high school, I showed a German exchange student girl both Syriac and Arabic writing. She said she liked Arabic writing more because it's more prettier...

Stop whining and use the Estrangela style Syriac then. The only Aramaic script that looks similar to Arabic is Serto/Pshitto so I don't know why you're making a big deal out of the writing to the point where you want to use a completely different system...

ins001 said:

Loool....the letters in the Akkadian script look like family tree charts. They seem confusing. And they seem similar to Chinese.

Neon said:
Loool....the letters in the Akkadian script look like family tree charts. They seem confusing. And they seem similar to Chinese.

it is JUST like chinese... each cuneiform glyph was a syllable or a combination of syllables/words.

Hell, the most educated of Chinese people can only remember up to 4,000 of chinese characters BUT THERE'S OVER 8,000 CHARACTERS -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_General_Standard_Chinese_Characters

why do you think we switched to the Aramaic alphabet?

With Aramaic, all that was necessary was to remember the 22 letters and the rest of your memory is made up of grammar and vocabulary.

Alphabetic systems were clearly superior or else our ancient ancestors wouldn't have switched to Aramaic so easily.

mrzurnaci said:
it is JUST like chinese... each cuneiform glyph was a syllable or a combination of syllables/words.

Hell, the most educated of Chinese people can only remember up to 4,000 of chinese characters BUT THERE'S OVER 8,000 CHARACTERS -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_General_Standard_Chinese_Characters

why do you think we switched to the Aramaic alphabet?

With Aramaic, all that was necessary was to remember the 22 letters and the rest of your memory is made up of grammar and vocabulary.

Alphabetic systems were clearly superior or else our ancient ancestors wouldn't have switched to Aramaic so easily.
Perhaps because most of the world adopted a more "modern" script. Symbols and glyphs began to look primitive and dated.

Neon said:
Perhaps because most of the world adopted a more "modern" script. Symbols and glyphs began to look primitive and dated.

that makes no sense, are you saying it's from peer pressure? No, it's from a sense of practicality. I'm not sure if China had neighbors that used an alphabet like system but they later saw alphabets as foreign and thus bad.

Going back on topic. Many people think we're extinct because of the education system.

Education systems don't really put emphasis on our existence, they only put emphasis on our history because that was back when we actually mattered, when we ruled virtually the Middle East.*** We did contribute ALOT to Persia and its successive empires but it didn't change the fact that it was Persians in rule, not Assyrians.

Secondly, then there's the Bible which only mentions ancient Assyrians but doesn't mention them afterwards despite the clear evidence of our existence.

Thirdly, the mitigation of our name by Muslims. Recall that Muslims dissolved Assyria as a political entity and region which the Persians had established for centuries. Not to mention the fact that Muslims appropriated much of our culture and knowledge and pass it off as their own.

*** - Ancient Assyria was a milestone in history because you could say we pretty much foreshadowed the rise of Rome. Rome arose similar to Assyria, both were subject to attacks by foreign peoples and thus had a desire to increase military power for protection. As both became stronger and stable, both created a professional standing army that was growing and adaptive to successive enemy threats and defeat them until instability hit both. Just like Rome, Assyria got too big to manage and there wasn't enough soldiers to man every volatile border.

Neta1991 said:
The ancient greeks called the arameans and assyrians syrians. " The people we call syrians,call themselves Arameans ". Syriac church fathers called their people arameans. In the east,  they called them Assyrians, while in the West, the people knew them as Syrians, when talking about Assyrians. The Turabdin people, after the fall of Nineveh, attacked the Babylonians,maybe because the turabdin people ( arameans) became Assyrians, source aina. And many more evidence! I AM A HISTORIAN AND NOT A FANATIC, U LITTLE RAT!

Is that the only argument that the Arameans use?

1. ?This people whom the Hellenes call the Syrians are called Assyrians by the Barbarians?.
        - Herodotus 5th century B.C

Herodotus stated that those called Syrians by the Greeks were called Assyrians by themselves and in the East.

2.    ?When those who have written histories about the Syrian Empire say that the Medes were overthrown by the Persians and the Syrians by the Medes,
        they mean by the Syrians no other people than those who built the royal palaces in Babylon and Nineveh and of these Syrians Ninus was the man
        who founded Nineveh in Assyria and his wife Semiramis was the woman who succeeded her husband and founded Babylon
        -  Strabo 64 B.C ? 21 A.D

Greek geographer and historian Strabo confirms Herodotus statement.

3.    ?The Assyrians who were afterwards called Syrians held their empire thirteen hundred years.?
Justinus 300 A.D

Justinus, the Roman historian also confirms Herodotus and Strabo.

Here is a little extra, Tur'Abdin is in Turkey right?  :shades:

Map of Turkey in 1626 where all the ethnicities(except Turk) are represented:
https://www.vintage-maps.com/1031-extra_large/speed-turkey-turkish-ottoman-empire-1627.jpg

Pusc beshlama, :victory:

WOW, i didnt remember i wrote those, l was crazy back then lol, neta1991 was me, l didnt even understand what l was saying, my grammar sucked back then hahahaha, l sounded like a racist for some reason, and l was so evil lol

Back