Why are we expected to marry other Assyrians?

kulan-suryoye said:
Yes i started with the Serto font, i looked online for the syriac alphabet and learned it, it is easy to learn, when you know the alphabet its not difficult to read, but more difficult to understand what you read when its written in classical syriac "Kthobonoyo", in know many classical syriac words but i do not speak it fluently. It was not a single process, im still learning everyday since i have syriac keyboard on my iphone with the serto font, Estrangelo Tur Abdin and Eastern Estrangelo style, sometimes i use to chat with my friend in whats app, written in syriac with turoyo dialect, thats something really great, one click you can change the keyboard to syriac and write in your motherlanguage with your friends and family. I can write with a pen too but my handwriting is ugly, but on the Computer or Mobile Phone it is very very easy and everbody can learn.
Ah, I thought you knew how to write Kthobonoyo. And also 100% understand it when reading it.
How do you write Turoyo ? Do you follow a specific grammar ?
Since Turoyo doesn't have a standard grammar, for the moment (There is one from Malfono abdulMasih Sa'di but still not adopted by our scholars, malfone and church leader...), no one "know" how to write it correctly. There is still not a consensus on it.

Shahin said:
Ah, I thought you knew how to write Kthobonoyo. And also 100% understand it when reading it.
How do you write Turoyo ? Do you follow a specific grammar ?
Since Turoyo doesn't have a standard grammar, for the moment (There is one from Malfono abdulMasih Sa'di but still not adopted by our scholars, malfone and church leader...), no one "know" how to write it correctly. There is still not a consensus on it.

Man I need to learn Western dialect too. I think I'll schedule a trip to Turkey and go straight to Tur Abdin, or maybe Mardin, where would you guys prefer to go to learn?

Etain said:
I assumed it was a Middle Eastern thing. A lot of groups from there are like that.

It's a Middle Eastern and, to a lesser extent, a Mediterranean thing.

Greeks and Italians aren't as conservative about but (if you've seen the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie) you'll see that they do also practice it.

The only reason for Assyrians to do it modernly is so that we can survive as a people and a nation.

We'll assimilate into your society but we don't want to give up who we are.

it is by knowing who we are and knowing our successive history that makes us do good and great things in the Homeland, the West, and the Rest.

I mean we're no different from other people but it is our culture and ethnic philosophy that has made us successful and good people.

getting back to the topic. I think Pierce isn't really going to listen to us but let's remember that she's in her early 20s.

She'll eventually learn and realize why we have it done this way.

mrzurnaci said:
many Assyrians are part Armenian themselves.
That's true. My maternal cousin's great grandparent (dunno which) is Armenian.

And I know a lot more Assyrians with Armenian lineage.

mrzurnaci said:
It's a Middle Eastern and, to a lesser extent, a Mediterranean thing.

Greeks and Italians aren't as conservative about but (if you've seen the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie) you'll see that they do also practice it.

The only reason for Assyrians to do it modernly is so that we can survive as a people and a nation.

We'll assimilate into your society but we don't want to give up who we are.

it is by knowing who we are and knowing our successive history that makes us do good and great things in the Homeland, the West, and the Rest.

I mean we're no different from other people but it is our culture and ethnic philosophy that has made us successful and good people.
Makes sense. I imagine it has to do with population number overall. Greeks in the US are more endogamous as a result of there not being as many. Italians still have a strong ethnic identity and usually marry other Italians,but not as much as Greeks.

Etain said:
Italians still have a strong ethnic identity and usually marry other Italians,but not as much as Greeks.
Do they? So many Italian Americans tend to have Irish, German and/or English ancestry, or at least, they'd marry people of these ethnic groups. Italians living in America and Australia tend to be the most mixed Mediterranean peoples.

Neon said:
Do they? So many Italian Americans tend to have Irish, German and/or English ancestry, or at least, they'd marry people of these ethnic groups. Italians living in America and Australia tend to be the most mixed Mediterranean peoples.
For Mediterranean people,yeah. But compared to Americans of Germanic descent,no. I would say most Italian Americans tend to be mostly Italian,if not 100% so.

Anid said:
This girl is a troll

Why do you say+think that Anid?

I won't lie, it's possible considering this girl doesn't know Assyrian yet she can understand it?

remember that she says "I don't speak the language. I simply forgot. I can understand it but I can't speak it."

how do you forget to speak a language that you can understand?

Secondly, WHAT IF this is a guy who wants to marry a non-Assyrian girl and he's basically reversing the entire situation to get a different answer or understanding?

Either way this is a situation that does occur in the Assyrian community at times so it's a valid issue to bring up.

Joe25 said:
Either way this is a situation that does occur in the Assyrian community at times so it's a valid issue to bring up.

a valid issue that always explodes into arguments :)

I think our Semitic friends from the Western portion of the Middle East can help shed some light with their own experiences on this issue.

"http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0002_0_01522.html"

As members of the upper strata of Jewish society in Central and Western Europe became assimilated, they left their positions of leadership in the autonomous Jewish body, thereby weakening it further. Other Jews in less influential positions followed their example.

Jewish intellectuals who accepted the values and criteria of the Enlightenment and Christian culture and society tended to regard the Jewish counterpart as barren and primitive. Their attitude became devastatingly critical. They measured the Jewish past and culture by alien and historically inimical standards.

The ideology of assimilation gained momentum in the first half of the 19th century as it developed an eschatological message. This trend was part of the new direction which assimilation took when projected on the intense nationalistic society and state that prevailed in Europe with the romantic movement.

The former nexus between the Jewish people and its religion and law was rejected; attempts were made to purge the Jewish religion of its nationalistic elements in order to relieve individual Jews in dispersion of the sense of being an alien and an exile.

I will add my 2 cents here, and just remind everyone that I simply will not marry a girl who is not Assyrian, I refuse to do such thing. End of story.

Kosovo1389 said:
I will add my 2 cents here, and just remind everyone that I simply will not marry a girl who is not Assyrian, I refuse to do such thing. End of story.
you have to add why or else the fake Assyrian girl will whine at you.

mrzurnaci said:
Why do you say+think that Anid?

I won't lie, it's possible considering this girl doesn't know Assyrian yet she can understand it?

remember that she says "I don't speak the language. I simply forgot. I can understand it but I can't speak it."

how do you forget to speak a language that you can understand?

Secondly, WHAT IF this is a guy who wants to marry a non-Assyrian girl and he's basically reversing the entire situation to get a different answer or understanding?
You're being too paranoid. Lol...

The OP is real, otherwise she wouldn't be that passionate, writing a dozen of posts.

Neon said:
You're being too paranoid. Lol...

The OP is real, otherwise she wouldn't be that passionate, writing a dozen of posts.

how are you so sure though? the OP hasn't replied to this post or even used common Assyrian words.

even my cousins that don't know Assyrian still say words like azizee or aziztee or any kind of other words.

How would one not know Assyrian but understand, but not use any kind of word at all?

Why was my comment about Daquan removed? racist blyat i am offended
:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Kebabs?s said:
Why was my comment about Daquan removed? racist blyat i am offended
:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

Because Daquan sounds like the worst Assyrian name ? ?? ?

mrzurnaci said:
how are you so sure though? the OP hasn't replied to this post or even used common Assyrian words.

even my cousins that don't know Assyrian still say words like azizee or aziztee or any kind of other words.

How would one not know Assyrian but understand, but not use any kind of word at all?
You seem so sure too.

Have you seen Domanic and myself using Assyrian words? I mean, I've done it, but very rarely. In fact, many Assyrian users rarely use Assyrian words here.

I guess some people don't like calling strangers azizee/aziztee? First time seeing you using these words towards someone in here, btw. So it's not like you use Assyrian words a lot too here.

What does  azizee/aziztee mean anyways?
I have been posting here for some time and the only assyrian word I picked up is "erie"

Etain said:
I have been posting here for some time and the only assyrian word I picked up is "erie"

My dear/darling/sweetheart or something in that sense, I would assume. Similar to the Arabic "azzizte/azzizi" and the Persian "azzizam" :)

Well, if that's what you want then do talk to your parents in a reasonable and respectful way to convince them, don't be too stubborn about it. Try to put yourself in their place and understand the reasons why they don't want you to be with him and try to put them in your place so that they can understand why you want him. :)

Good luck! Not every Assyrian out there is culturally bound to dating Assyrians or not dating at all, don't generalize.  :)

Etain said:
^And Etain just proved my point. We rarely use Assyrian words in here.

You're just irked because the OP didn't "azizee" you back.  :mrgreen:

Neon said:
You seem so sure too.

Have you seen Domanic and myself using Assyrian words? I mean, I've done it, but very rarely. In fact, many Assyrian users rarely use Assyrian words here.

I guess some people don't like calling strangers azizee/aziztee? First time seeing you using these words towards someone in here, btw. So it's not like you use Assyrian words a lot too here.

I'm sure because you cannot prove a negative...

Googoo said:
My dear/darling/sweetheart or something in that sense, I would assume. Similar to the Arabic "azzizte/azzizi" and the Persian "azzizam" :)
theoretically, Aziza in classical Syriac means strong, powerful but in modern dialects, we use the Arabic sense.

I wonder why that is.

Back