There is Talk of the Convention Coming to Toronto

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking to the head of the Assyrian Aid Society in Canada and he said that they working to bring the convention to Canada.

They have already spoken to AANF I believe.

Here is a question: if it is to be held in Canada, will AANF still manage it? He did mention that if they do it in Canada for a specific year, that will be it, there won't be another one in the US for that year. In other words, it will be an official convention.

I will have more to say about this when I have more information.

ASHOOR

If the convention comes to Toronto it will be the best convention ever! Yea I'm a little bias because i live here but I just think with so many Assyrians here who would love to be a part of it. Also if we could handle having parties on a boat and not throw someone off it, we could handle convention.  :lol:

We would definitely have to organize more lectures for people who don't only come for the parties. We could get help from the student unions here. Also I read in another topic who they use to have the parties like balls back in the day. We could have that here. We over dress all the time. lol Our guys here over dress going to the Tim Horton's so we could have the parties like balls easily. lol We die for reasons to dress up and party. That's why there are parties for every occasion and sometimes for no reason.

During the last party of the convention on Sunday, Ramsin Sheeno announced that the next Assyrian Convention will be held in Toronto, Canada.

Blockness said:
During the last party of the convention on Sunday, Ramsin Sheeno announced that the next Assyrian Convention will be held in Toronto, Canada.

LOL I wish! It's going to be in Detroit next year. It's only a 4 hour drive from Toronto so close enough.

Hey Dalida,

Did you hear that from Convention officials or just people? I am asking because why would they announce it to everyone that its going to be in Toronto?

Blockness said:
Hey Dalida,

Did you hear that from Convention officials or just people? I am asking because why would they announce it to everyone that its going to be in Toronto?

I heard it from a friend who was at the convention. He said they announced it was going to be in Detroit. Maybe he just heard it from freinds I don't know but I heard it will be in Detroit.

Hmm, I was at the last party and Ramsin Sheeno announced infront of like 2000 people that the next Assyrian Convention will be held in Toronto Canada....and everyone went nuts.

So im not sure, I guess we'll have to wait and hear from an official of AANF

This is a first. I knew there was talk of holding it here, but for next year? I am not sure, and I don't know where Ramsen got his information and whether it is official.

What I do know is that it is in Detroit next year, like Dalida said.

If it is in Toronto, Assyrian Voice will be all over it.

ASHOOR

Same here, It would truly be an amazing convention.

If not, makhikhleh Ramsin Sheeno for making a mistake and getting us Canadians all happy  :giggle:

Let us break it down guys:

-We throw some great parties
-When it comes to picnics, we are second to none in north America
-We have ACSSU, Zowaa and others who host some great educational events
-We definetely have the people to fill every space (even without the Americans)

The only thing needed, is finding the right place, and organizing it properly. Let us face it, staging an international convention, with thousands of visitors from all over North America and the world, is not the as easy as throwing a picnic or party.

But if AANF and the rest of the Assyrian organizations in Toronto cooperate and coordinate, this should be a good first.

ASHOOR

ASHOOR said:
Let us break it down guys:

-We throw some great parties
-When it comes to picnics, we are second to none in north America
-We have ACSSU, Zowaa and others who host some great educational events
-We definetely have the people to fill every space (even without the Americans)

The only thing needed, is finding the right place, and organizing it properly. Let us face it, staging an international convention, with thousands of visitors from all over North America and the world, is not the as easy as throwing a picnic or party.

But if AANF and the rest of the Assyrian organizations in Toronto cooperate and coordinate, this should be a good first.

ASHOOR

I would love for the convention to be in Toronto!  It would definitely be a great place to hold the convention.  But doesn't the fact that it's the Assyrian AMERICAN (not Canadian) National Federation have a bearing on whether or not the convention should be held in the states or in another country?  I mean, I'm sure they can do it wherever they want, just seems kind of odd.  Secondly, dont' you guys think it would prevent a good amount of people from attending if they don't have passports?  Just a thought...Anyway, it's a moot point since I've heard that it's been confirmed that Detroit is the city for next years convention.

ASHUR said:
I would love for the convention to be in Toronto!  It would definitely be a great place to hold the convention.  But doesn't the fact that it's the Assyrian AMERICAN (not Canadian) National Federation have a bearing on whether or not the convention should be held in the states or in another country?  I mean, I'm sure they can do it wherever they want, just seems kind of odd.  Secondly, dont' you guys think it would prevent a good amount of people from attending if they don't have passports?  Just a thought...Anyway, it's a moot point since I've heard that it's been confirmed that Detroit is the city for next years convention.

Barshie, I don't think the name would prevent it being staged here. It is like how the MLB-AL has a team in Toronto. The AANF organizes and although it is always in the US, don't know if it can't stage it in Canda.

As for people coming, I don't think it will be an issue at all. People will get their travel documents months in advance. Detroit and Chicago alone can fill it all.

Barwerneta, not sure what you mean, but last time the convention was in Detroit, was in 2002 I believe and it was one of the best ones I believe, according to some people.

ASHOOR

I'm pretty sure I heard them announce it was going to be in Detroit.  I have no doubt, Toronto could pull it off. I mean if the people running it now can do it...

It's in Detroit next year everyone.  The old AANF president sat across from me on the plane ride back lol  He said it will be in Detroit and Canada wouldn't work because of insurance reasons.  Their insurance plan doesn't cover Canada conventions/events which probably makes sense for them being an American corporation.    I do think a convention in Canada would be cool but it would have to be done internally by Canadian organizations like the ones Ashoor mentioned.

Not sure what Ramsen Sheeno was thinking when he announced it would be in Toronto lool

Everyone Rum is correct it is officially in Detroit next year, the reason being is as he mention due to the fact of insurance and 501-C7 purposes,  however IF (big if) the paperwork is done correctly and AANF federation get things situated it is possible depending on time frame it may go to Toronto again not to get everyones hopes up because that kind of paperwork would take some time.  Also there has been discussion that if it does begin to go to Canada that the federation name may change and the federation would have to incorporate North America instead of American. Again this is all in talks nothing in stone so as of right now it is Detroit!

I personally am born and raised in Detroit however it isnt appealing to me to have it in Detroit because as we all know Detroit at this point and time is not a city with very many attractions (no pun intended) Toronto has a tremendous amount of Assyrians living there with a huge admiration for its Assyrian community and culture!!! Plus Toronto has a wounderful downtown lool

if convention is in TO.. that would be sickkkkkkkkkkkk... i'd for sure go... screw my 1 year anniversary.. ill be celebrating it at convention :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

but im pretty sure thats when Enki's wedding is...  :bangin:

atourina said:
if convention is in TO.. that would be sickkkkkkkkkkkk... i'd for sure go... screw my 1 year anniversary.. ill be celebrating it at convention :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

but im pretty sure thats when Enki's wedding is...  :bangin:

Will you Canadians stop getting married on Labour Day weekend :ban: lol

Back