Single Mums with kids: is it the New Phobia in our Culture?

Senalco

The Number of Single Mums with kids in our community has reached an alarming level....What is causing the Divorce rates to be so high? who is to blame? how do we fix Such problem? Please Discuss and give your Opinions!!!

Well in Australia, the reason I hear most often for divorce is in-law trouble.  The spouses seem to get along and want to be together, but the parents of one get too involved in the couple's lives.  And their son or daughter doesn't tell them to stop and follows everything they say without taking their spouse into consideration.

litleesoda said:
Well in Australia, the reason I hear most often for divorce is in-law trouble.  The spouses seem to get along and want to be together, but the parents of one get too involved in the couple's lives.  And their son or daughter doesn't tell them to stop and follows everything they say without taking their spouse into consideration.

Unfortunately, this is the most common excuse I hear with the Aussie Assyrians.  Seen it way too many times.  I am ashamed to say that it is the reason why I stayed away from marriage as I know my mother would kill my marriage with her interference.  No woman alive would be able to cope with my mother as her mother-in-law.  Luckily things have changed for me and my mother would not be able to interfere anymore but only after super-drastic action from me. 

Why is it more rife these days than in the past?  I don't know.  I suspect in-laws have always been an interfering bunch in the Assyrian community but with the ease of divorce nowadays, plus cultural gaps between middle eastern and western values are creating more problems.

Frankly in Australia, is not much the mother in law or the any body from the family,
What I hear most is that so many divorces are coming from man spending
endless night in the clubs GAMBLING, DRINKING, and neglecting their responsibilities
as a family man.     

Cameraman said:
Frankly in Australia, is not much the mother in law or the any body from the family,
What I hear most is that so many divorces are coming from man spending
endless night in the clubs GAMBLING, DRINKING, and neglecting their responsibilities
as a family man.     
that's because they aren't mature enough to be married

Having a kid out of wedlock is not acceptable in any culture (steve jobs's biography is a perfect example). We have all evolved and understand that things happen and having abortions isn't always the best option when a life is involved. Certain people just say hey I messed up but I can take care of this child even if the father doesn't, and as Assyrian parents they have learned to love their children no matter what they do.

Single parenting is the last of this communities problems, if anything at least they are making Assyrian babies.

Gangs, losing our homeland, people not speaking Assyrian , gossip, hate, etc is what your focus should be on.

AssyrianBookTa said:
Having a kid out of wedlock is not acceptable in any culture (steve jobs's biography is a perfect example). We have all evolved and understand that things happen and having abortions isn't always the best option when a life is involved. Certain people just say hey I messed up but I can take care of this child even if the father doesn't, and as Assyrian parents they have learned to love their children no matter what they do.

Single parenting is the last of this communities problems, if anything at least they are making Assyrian babies.

Gangs, losing our homeland, people not speaking Assyrian , gossip, hate, etc is what your focus should be on.

and those problems are easy to solve, well more or less

gangs - shoot them with AA gauge elephant guns
losing our homeland - get back to that later
gossip - tell people to mind their own business or tell them i rape pancake mix boxes
hate - send haters to gulag
not speaking assyrian - send them to an assyrian gameshow and see if they win anything....

Has divorce rates really risen that much? One of my uncles is the only Assyrian I know who has had a divorce and I have a huge family. Kids out of wedding as well, I've never heard of a non-married Assyrian girl having a baby here, people would've talked about it.

I think that where you live makes a lot of difference. Here in Sweden almost 1.3% of the population are Assyrians and most of us live in communities where there are a lot of other Assyrians. So kids and adults basically hang out with others of their own kind after school/work, they mostly go to Assyrian parties (my parents didn't even allow me to go to Swedish clubs/pubs), etc. The football mania makes that patriotism/unity (for good or for worse) grow even more.

I've noticed that in general Assyrians who live in, say, an American state where there are very few other Assyrians are more "Americanized" than other Assyrians.

Husbands going out and playing cards with each other is a problem even here though.

Back