Should Christianity be our state religion?

mrzurnaci said:
If I wasn't a Deist, would I really recommend threatening the church with jail time? :p
Threatening the churches that you're not part with. Believers have done that since day one. ;)

To answer this thread, I guess I won't be very against it as a couple of European countries have Christianity as a state religion and they're faring well.

Cascade said:
Threatening the churches that you're not part with. Believers have done that since day one. ;)

To answer this thread, I guess I won't be very against it as a couple of European countries have Christianity as a state religion and they're faring well.
If the Churches are going to play politics, then they better have the military power to back it up... Attempting to undermine political parties against the wishes of the people is treason in many definitions.

Secondly, how would Christianity be our state religion when Assyrians believe in 2 different forms: Catholic and Orthodox Christianity. Which one would we follow?

mrzurnaci said:
If the Churches are going to play politics, then they better have the military power to back it up... Attempting to undermine political parties against the wishes of the people is treason in many definitions.

Secondly, how would Christianity be our state religion when Assyrians believe in 2 different forms: Catholic and Orthodox Christianity. Which one would we follow?
Isn't the Assyrian Church of the East more popular? I don't know.

Cascade said:
Isn't the Assyrian Church of the East more popular? I don't know.

in terms of the total Assyrian population? No, Chaldean church makes up the larger percentage, I think it's 50%+.

mrzurnaci said:
in terms of the total Assyrian population? No, Chaldean church makes up the larger percentage, I think it's 50%+.
I always hear this. I think this statistic is hogwash.

We're talking about Assyrians from Tyari (and their clans), Baz, Gawar, Nochiya, Jelu, Barwar, Halmon, Urmia and dozens of other tribes that consider themselves Assyrian. I'm pretty sure we would make the larger percentage (and I'm aware of the Ancient Church of the East adherents and Assyrian Protestants, which are a small minority anyway). Chaldean tribes are much lesser in comparison, and they tell us that the Chaldean Church is the most adhered to? It seems fishy.

Assyrians are an ethnoreligious Christian people. Christianity will without a doubt be the state religion. As far as the Churches needing to be united into one, I'm not sure if that is really necessary. I do agree that diversity destroys social cohesion, but the only way we will even be able to get a state is if we can unite together despite being part of different churches, and see how similar we are to each other and how small our differences seem in comparison. I think we will all be on the same page and be proud to all ourselves Assyrians. Besides, even today you see so many Assyrians getting married to other Assyrians of different churches, I think the sectarian rivalry mostly comes from our Priests, but to everyone else it doesn't really matter to them. If (when) we do get a state, I don't think our people will have the same problems with sectarian rivalry as we do now, and I don't think it will cause many issues.

Cascade said:
I always hear this. I think this statistic is hogwash.

We're talking about Assyrians from Tyari (and their clans), Baz, Gawar, Nochiya, Jelu, Barwar, Halmon, Urmia and dozens of other tribes that consider themselves Assyrian. I'm pretty sure we would make the larger percentage (and I'm aware of the Ancient Church of the East adherents and Assyrian Protestants, which are a small minority anyway). Chaldean tribes are much lesser in comparison, and they tell us that the Chaldean Church is the most adhered to? It seems fishy.

I guess you're right, there's no valid statistics or census taken at all.

mrzurnaci said:
a pro-Christian secular state sounds the most rational

Secular state and religious society; the result will be a pro-Christan secular state.
In fact, must of the European countries are pro Christiany, although they are secular states, so why not us.
As long our  constitution is NOT inspired on any religious law, I will be happy.

KingA said:
Secular state and religious society; the result will be a pro-Christan secular state.
In fact, must of the European countries are pro Christiany, although they are secular states, so why not us.
As long our  constitution is NOT inspired on any religious law, I will be happy.

And aslong they dont teach the bible on schools l would be happy, but the thing is There are so little of nonreligious assyrians that l am afraid they will teach the bible in schools, which is completely wrong. Science should be teached.

Nemrud said:
And aslong they dont teach the bible on schools l would be happy, but the thing is There are so little of nonreligious assyrians that l am afraid they will teach the bible in schools, which is completely wrong. Science should be teached.

Science will be taught but the question is: classes about religion?

Nemrud said:

I don't see the problem in teaching the Bible in schools. Just because religion is taught in schools does not mean science can not be taught as well. You make it seem as if the Bible is some sort of evil book that teaches people to hate logic and science. I believe Christianity and Science complement each other and do not necessarily conflict with one another. This is probably going to create a huge religion vs science argument lol...

SonOfAssyria said:
I don't see the problem in teaching the Bible in schools. Just because religion is taught in schools does not mean science can not be taught as well. You make it seem as if the Bible is some sort of evil book that teaches people to hate logic and science. I believe Christianity and Science complement each other and do not necessarily conflict with one another. This is probably going to create a huge religion vs science argument lol...

I know bible teaches good but l am non religious and agonstic and l dont see bible as scientific evidence, of course science has theories about many things but they are trying to find the truth about the world, science tell us we are assyrians through excavations and evidence. While l am not telling u to believe in science but l myself believe in it because it got atleast evidence, which the bible lack.

And the reason l dislike Christian assyrians a little bit is because when u tell them u dont believe in it they attack u. Why cant non religious and Christians live in peace with eatchother, its the Christians that start attack u and then u must play protective and try not to make them more mad at u.

Nemrud said:
And the reason l dislike Christian assyrians a little bit is because when u tell them u dont believe in it they attack u. Why cant non religious and Christians live in peace with eatchother, its the Christians that start attack u and then u must play protective and try not to make them more mad at u.
That's exactly the main problem within our ethnicity. Dogmatism.

Nemrud said:
I know bible teaches good but l am non religious and agonstic and l dont see bible as scientific evidence, of course science has theories about many things but they are trying to find the truth about the world, science tell us we are assyrians through excavations and evidence. While l am not telling u to believe in science but l myself believe in it because it got atleast evidence, which the bible lack.

Who said the bible lacks evidence?

Cascade said:
That's exactly the main problem within our ethnicity. Dogmatism.

I agree.

Nemrud said:
It does have some evidence but the supernatural cant be real.

That is your subjective opinion. It is a miracle in itself that this universe came to be. There is simply no other logical conclusion regarding how and why the universe came to being other than it being created by a supernatural force, with supernatural being defined as something beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature , in other words, by God.

SonOfAssyria said:
I agree.

That is your subjective opinion. It is a miracle in itself that this universe came to be. There is simply no other logical conclusion regarding how and why the universe came to being other than it being created by a supernatural force, with supernatural being defined as something beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature , in other words, by God.

Who said i didnt believe in god? I believe There might be something somewhere but then again am not sure because If god created the Universe then who created god? Did he create himself

I dont really mind christianity, i just want science to be teached in university and schools, or l might not support the country hehe

Back