Should Assyrians date/marry non-Assyrians or only Assyrians?

What is everyone's opinion on this? My opinion is that we (well me at least because I cannot force anyone to do otherwise) only marry/date/have kids with Assyrians as there is such a small amount of us left and we should keep the legacy going. I have to admit however there are some non-Assyrian girls that are pretty amazing...

I've had strong views on this in the past. Endogamy has kept us alive and has allowed us to retain our identity - one that is being slowly lost in a globalising world.

I do believe marrying Assyrians is far more prudent for posterity's sake but marrying someone of similar ethnicity and ensuring that the language, culture and traditions are adequately passed on is a second-best I suppose. However, this always comes with the risk, and which often ends up being the case, of the children not being as nationalistic as they should or otherwise could be.

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
I've had strong views on this in the past. Endogamy has kept us alive and has allowed us to retain our identity - one that is being slowly lost in a globalising world.

I do believe marrying Assyrians is far more prudent for posterity's sake but marrying someone of similar ethnicity and ensuring that the language, culture and traditions are adequately passed on is a second-best I suppose. However, this always comes with the risk, and which often ends up being the case, of the children not being as nationalistic as they should or otherwise could be.

I have the exact same opinion.

I'm softly Assyrian only. I'll explain

I personally think Assyrians should only marry Assyrians but I know we all have that one (or more) person(s) in the family who don't want to.

However, from my life experience, most of my family are living happy lives with an Assyrian spouse while a small amount have non-Assyrian spouses and we welcome them.

I would do Assyrian only because I don't want to have a conflict with my wife concerning Assyrianism stuff.

Personally I don't mind Armenians because they're very close to us, they're like non-Semitic version of us.
Same with Maronayeh, Copts, and Arab Christians. beyond these 4 groups, I would have to say no.

Looking at the big picture and the long run, we're Assyrian because our parents are Assyrian. Our mom or dad could've married someone non-Assyrian but did not.

Another thing is whether the couple will have kids or not.
My uncle married a Cuban woman but he doesn't want to have kids, so we all just accepted the marriage and welcomed her in our family anyway.

There's alot of variables at play concerning this case

Overall, it doesn't bother me that much. But I still do feel a bit discomfited when I see Assyrians marrying people of completely different races (Asians, blacks, etc). They have such strong genes that their children, unfortunately, barely look Assyrian.

Cascade said:
Overall, it doesn't bother me that much. But I still do feel a bit discomfited when I see Assyrians marrying people of completely different races (Asians, blacks, etc). They have such strong genes that their children, unfortunately, barely look Assyrian.

Yeah :/

Cascade said:

Assyrians marrying blacks is wrong because it declines IQ of the next generation, biology says.

Assyrian Nationalist said:
Assyrians marrying blacks is wrong because it declines IQ of the next generation, biology says.
Assyrians don't have the highest IQs anyway. Some blacks can easily be a mental match with us.

I'd be worried more if we were Asian though.

Cascade said:
Assyrians don't have the highest IQs anyway. Some blacks can easily be a mental match with us.

I'd be worried more if we were Asian though.

Assyrians have a propensity for academia but are just lazy and plus, this victim mentality and this feeling of futility, felt especially in the diaspora, means that Assyrians don't apply themselves.

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
Assyrians have a propensity for academia but are just lazy and plus, this victim mentality and this feeling of futility, felt especially in the diaspora, means that Assyrians don't apply themselves.

victim mentality and feeling of futility is a flaw that's passed down from our older generations who have islamic influence.

It is said, those who are pessimistic will go "what's the point?" instead of working to make the situation or environment better.

If we don't actively work to get our rights, we never will get them...

Small diaspora communities inevitably assimilate and out marry. Maybe it won't happen for decades with Assyrians, but I don't know how you stop it.

Etain said:
Small diaspora communities inevitably assimilate and out marry. Maybe it won't happen for decades with Assyrians, but I don't know how you stop it.
True.

And welcome back. Missed you, oddly. Lol.

Etain said:

we stop it through community + pressure. There's a very good reason why ethnoreligious groups survive for thousands of years.
There'd be no Assyrian community if Assyrians married outside alot.

like I've said before, it's not a big deal if the odd Assyrian or few marry outside but the number of Assyrian-NonAssyrian marriages shouldn't be more than 10% of the community.

Cascade said:
True.

And welcome back. Missed you, oddly. Lol.
Thanks. I lurked a bit I just didn't really have anything to say.
mrzurnaci said:
we stop it through community + pressure. There's a very good reason why ethnoreligious groups survive for thousands of years.
There'd be no Assyrian community if Assyrians married outside alot.

like I've said before, it's not a big deal if the odd Assyrian or few marry outside but the number of Assyrian-NonAssyrian marriages shouldn't be more than 10% of the community.
Possible. But look at the new world. Very few Americans except recent arrivals are pure anything. It happens gradually over time.
I would not worry about Assyrians disappearing as a people as long as there was still a community in Iraq and Syria.

Etain said:
But look at the new world. Very few Americans except recent arrivals are pure anything. It happens gradually over time.
I would not worry about Assyrians disappearing as a people as long as there was still a community in Iraq and Syria.

We Assyrians ourselves are mixed, we're rarely mixed since the end of the middle ages though but still

mrzurnaci said:

I agree.

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
Black people too. They may be fare lower than whites and Asians in the US (I believe we would too) when it comes to IQ, but that doesn't mean they're an overall stupid race who are incapable of having knowledge. Too much welfare and victim mentality has made them "dumb" as well.

For me it's about looks though (you forgot that part). Blacks have strong genes and our children will virtually look African if we procreate with an African-descent person. We all want our kids resembling us, don't we not?

Cascade said:
Black people too. They may be fare lower than whites and Asians in the US (I believe we would too) when it comes to IQ, but that doesn't mean they're an overall stupid race who are incapable of having knowledge. Too much welfare and victim mentality has made them "dumb" as well.

For me it's about looks though (you forgot that part). Blacks have strong genes and our children will virtually look African if we procreate with an African-descent person. We all want our kids resembling us, don't we not?

I'm not too sure about the blacks - maybe the African Americans have a certain penchant for intelligence but as for Africa, the place is still a shit hole no matter how much money we throw at it and it's mainly civilisational and cultural but I haven't done enough reading to comment on it nor do I intend to waste my time on it.

As for 'looks', I completely agree with you.

I agree about looks too. If an Assyrian were too marry a non-Assyrian, I'd hope that the person they marry could pass off as an Assyrian appearance wise or at least resemble us.

SonOfAssyria said:
I agree about looks too. If an Assyrian were too marry a non-Assyrian, I'd hope that the person they marry could pass off as an Assyrian appearance wise or at least resemble us.

and if they can't, the least they can do is learn Assyrian.

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
I'm not too sure about the blacks - maybe the African Americans have a certain penchant for intelligence but as for Africa, the place is still a **** hole no matter how much money we throw at it and it's mainly civilisational and cultural but I haven't done enough reading to comment on it nor do I intend to waste my time on it.

As for 'looks', I completely agree with you.
Yeah, I agree that Africa is a hellhole with high crime, poverty and corruption.

When I have a smart African in mind, I think of astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. :)

I myself dont mind assyrians marry non assyrians, almost all do it here in sweden. But what l really really really want them to do is to teach the assyrian language to their children because l would consider them assyrian lf they atleast know the language. Or actually lf the child consider himself more assyrian than non assyrian then its also okay, solong he got atleast one assyrian mother or father. But l myself want to marry and have children with an assyrian because l want the child to be full assyrian, and the women to.

Back