New Design for the forum

Hanuni

This forum is one of the most active and used forums for us Assyrians on the internet. I believe many have even found love here along with all of our political, historical and sociological discussions. However I believe this forum needs a new design.

There is a biology forum run by an Assyrian, who has a pretty good design which makes it easier to discuss matters and attracts members.
The link to the forum is: http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/

Perhaps, if the administrators of this forum want and have time to, they could look into changing the design of the forum.

If finance is the issue, you can set up a Pay-Pal account and I am sure many of us would contribute.

Hi brother, thanks for the good feedback and suggestions. I have a lot to say about this. I did visit that forum just now, and had visited it before. It not a bad design, but there is a lot going on. Look at the people that visit that forum, most are very comfortable with technology and complex websites, so they can navigate their way through easily. It is different here on this website, where you have all sorts of people visiting, so I have to be very careful when making new changes.

The last major update we did to the forum in May was welcome by so many people. They thought it made things visually easier and more appealing. We can tweak and make a lot more changes-and we do-but we just have to be a little careful because Assyrians don't like change. I, for one, like to change things for the better. But it is better to introduce these changes gradually rather than all at once.

Every forum or online community needs three things to succeed. In my opinion, and in order, they are:

1-People
2-Content
3-Design

Notice how design came last? does that mean it is not important? Absolutely not! But if there is no people to contribute content, design won't matter much. On Assyrian Voice, we have always been lucky to have people who contributed some great content. Do we have a great design? I don't know, that is probably subjective, but I do know we have a design that suits our visitors and their level of technological sophistication.

More to follow in a new post...

ASHOOR

Last few months, I got busy preparing for my wedding, and later my honeymoon, so it is no secret that I haven't made a lot of changes to the forum, or to the website overall. But now that life is going back to normal, I plan to come back strong and be more active as before. It is also no secret that posting has decreased in the last few months-although traffic is still the same and probably growing. We should work hard to get more people to start posting.

Twitter and Facebook has taken a lot of content and people away, and I understand their position. I too have taken to Twitter and have been very active there. People feel like more people will see their postings on these two websites. But Assyrian Voice offers something unique: this is an Assyrian community and although others are welcome, when you post, you know you are reaching an Assyrian audience. This is much more unique than Twitter and Facebook where the whole world is listening so it tends to get crowded.

Also, people see less and less people posting here, they are also less likely to post. So it is a cycle. That is why we have to do our best to post, in whatever topic we feel like. Assyrian Voice has contributed so much for us online and we shouldn't let it just end. It is up to us to keep this revolution of online Assyrian activism going. We want people, 5 or 10 years from now, to be able to search for anything Assyrian related and be able to find it here. You can't really do that with Twitter and Facebook. So basically, people who waste their time on these networks, are doing just that: wasting their time and probably making the founders billionaires!

On Assyrian Voice, our content could help thousands of other Assyrians out there, or those interested in finding out more about us.

ASHOOR

Thank you for your answers. I'm about to sleep now so I'll get back to you in the nearest days.

ASHOOR said:
. . . But Assyrian Voice offers something unique: this is an Assyrian community and although others are welcome, when you post, you know you are reaching an Assyrian audience. This is much more unique than Twitter and Facebook where the whole world is listening so it tends to get crowded.

Also, people see less and less people posting here, they are also less likely to post. So it is a cycle. That is why we have to do our best to post, in whatever topic we feel like. Assyrian Voice has contributed so much for us online and we shouldn't let it just end. It is up to us to keep this revolution of online Assyrian activism going. We want people, 5 or 10 years from now, to be able to search for anything Assyrian related and be able to find it here. You can't really do that with Twitter and Facebook. So basically, people who waste their time on these networks, are doing just that: wasting their time and probably making the founders billionaires!

On Assyrian Voice, our content could help thousands of other Assyrians out there, or those interested in finding out more about us.

ASHOOR

Excuse my late response. I agree fully with you. However there is one aspect I believe you are missing. The lack of posters is not due to any decrease in Assyrian activists. Our youth is growing and so is their nationalism. However, the youth and other activists want a proper and easy forum. This forum is AVN, albeit the forum is lacking in some aspects. The design is one of those aspects. The design does not attract new members, but it is merely AVN as an Assyrian community that does. If one is able to combine an attractive design with what AVN offers, you get an ultimate outcome, in my opinion.

Another problem is the lack of advertisement. Assyrian Voice is not known much outside the hardcore Assyrian activists, and even among those activists AVN is unknown to many. Perhaps could domestic activists promote AVN further? However I still regard the design as the most important need AVN currently has.

And I acknowledge the fact that we are all working on an ideal basis, whether on AVN, political organisations or youth organisations and so on. Thank you for your effort and I hope it shall last forever.

Back