Is Honor killing common among Assyrians?

Nope, it is virtually non-existent with Assyrians. Don't get me wrong, Assyrians (being in the middle east) do care a lot about their family honor, name etc. But they don't go as far as killing in the name of honour.

ASHOOR

Hm, honor killing? don't we Assyrian just disown them and tell them they aren't with the family. That's what i planed to do with my children if they choose to marry Muslims.

Domanic said:
It could be possible some Assyrians do since some American Christian fundamentalists have hot their family members in the name of honor.

Ok now THIS is the dumbest sh*t you've said in a while.

American Christian Fundamentalists are in sects of Protestantism while the vast majority of Assyrians are catholic and Orthodox...

do you even think before you post?

Assyrian people simply don't have the capacity to commit honor killing.
Although we do practice excommunication on members of the community who break rules that are taboo

No, Assyrians want to be different from muslims and honor killings is one of the things that would make them feel like they're stooping to their level. I have actually asked about this to my parents who lived in Tur Abdin for decades. They only heard of one case where an Assyrian man wanted to assault a woman who broke up with him and guess what, people close to him stopped him from trying anything. So even if one Assyrian gets this type of idea, others around him/her will discourage it immediately. Whereas muslims will actually be encouraged by those around him especially if he's reluctant about it.

Domanic acting like a silly, unknowing child as usual.

Domanic said:
Assyrian Christians and Muslims don't really act much different

Your parents hearing "one thing" doesn't make a difference they are thousands of Assyrian villages all over Iran, Syria, iraq and Turkey.

Some Christians do practice it tho, including Assyrians... you obviously did not read the post on reddit or do your research this is why religious people like you are extremely retarded and should be locked up...

Also, at least I'm not a dumb homophobic piece of shet who is ignorant.
That reddit post is an anecdote at best - Could be a Kurd making Assyrians look bad (ever thought of that?).

Can you post a source for the Assyrian honor killings?

I think it won't be a problem in all religions if the parents and the kids are both educated and open to the world despite being religious.

Domanic said:
abg123rocks is definitely an Assyrian... also I don't have a source for one, what I said about that was a mistake.
Okay. We don't know, I guess.

Maybe he saw it happening in one Assyrian family. One family is nothing. Even Europeans have killed a family member for shaming their name. Doesn't mean it's frequent. As with Assyrians.

Domanic said:
ALL religions are to blame for in today's era..... EVERY religion has caused problems in the world do your research.

eb6.jpg

Guys, this is a good discussion, but keep it polite and no attacking each other. What Domanic is asking may not be favorable to our reputation, but he is simply asking, not suggesting it.

ASHOOR

Domanic said:
Assyrian Christians and Muslims don't really act much different

Assyrians are the most different type of group in just about any islamic country they reside in. You obviously don't know what you're talking about and are once again only speaking out of bitterness because as usual, you're mad at religious folks because they disprove of your homosexuality. You're too transparent to ever be considered objective.

Your parents hearing "one thing" doesn't make a difference they are thousands of Assyrian villages all over Iran, Syria, iraq and Turkey.

Assyrians are extreme gossipers, stories can travel from the middle east to North Europe or the US in a short timespan.

If an Assyrian deserts his/her family by marrying a muslim, it is made a big deal and everyone will soon know about it. Yet if these people were killed it would be 10x as big of a story to go around yet we never hear it, and the Assyrian traitors are never killed by relatives, they are simply shunned from the family and community.

I gave an exampple from my parents who have more life experience than anybody in this thread and they report no honor killings, yet you IQ level would GLADLY accept one story you read on the internet? You're a moron.

I wish you had told me from the beginning that you are a 15 year old child. Neon who I've had the most conflicts with in this site has recently been infinitely more mature and reasonable than you have been lately. Are you on medication? Probably you are but you have not been taking it. You're stinking up the whole site with your childish idiocy and are embarrassing yourself and the rest of us. Grow up, kid.

Ashoor why not ban this foul mouthed child so he can cool off for a couple of days?

It is Common and happend often, for example in Hasaka, Qamishli and other towns in Gozarto Syria, but also in the Tur Abdin. I Personalleiter know at least 5 cases of Honor killings done by Assyrians in Qamishli, mostly because of an Assyrian Girl and a Muslim (Kurd, Arab) dated. I know from an Assyrian Girl and A kurd both from Qamishli which went to Istanbul and the brother of the Assyrian Girl went also to Istanbul and found them there and killed both of them.

ASHOOR said:
Guys, this is a good discussion, but keep it polite and no attacking each other. What Domanic is asking may not be favorable to our reputation, but he is simply asking, not suggesting it.

ASHOOR
Yes, I don't know why mrzurnaci flipped at him for no reason. And it's not like what Domanic said was not true. People do use religion in favour of honor killings. It's not a dumb or a trollish thing to say. :/

Neon said:
Yes, I don't know why mrzurnaci flipped at him for no reason. And it's not like what Domanic said was not true. People do use religion in favour of honor killings. It's not a dumb or a trollish thing to say. :/
sorry, I got mad when he equated us to Muslims...

mrzurnaci said:
sorry, I got mad when he equated us to Muslims...
He just compared us to American Protestants though. Lol...that was what made you mad, where you said "that's the dumbest sh!t I've ever read".

Neon said:
He just compared us to American Protestants though. Lol...that was what made you mad, where you said "that's the dumbest sh!t I've ever read".

well that and American protestants. We act nothing like American protestants. Our religion is simultaneously our culture which is Middle Eastern...

mrzurnaci said:
well that and American protestants. We act nothing like American protestants. Our religion is simultaneously our culture which is Middle Eastern...
I know, but the Assyrian church and Protestantism are both Christian sects who believe in the trinity. Also like the Protestants, the Assyrian church doesn't have icons of Jesus and Mary, and our worship is mostly aimed at Jesus. Catholic and Orthodox churches have artwork of the figures and they would idolize Mary like she's a goddess. Interesting thing, the difference, since we are also traditional like the orthodox and Catholics, but yet we don't revere Mary to that extent. So we are a lot like the Protestants than you'd imagine.

And from a purely objective view (since I don't adhere to either), I find myself more in good harmony in a Protestant church (Assyrian/Arabic ones) than in our gloomy, somber, pompous churches that have so many gossipers and doleful people surrounding you. And priests who think that we are obliged to kiss their palms.  :blink: :ban:

Neon said:
I know, but the Assyrian church and Protestantism are both Christian sects who believe in the trinity. Also like the Protestants, the Assyrian church doesn't have icons of Jesus and Mary, and our worship is mostly aimed at Jesus. Catholic and Orthodox churches have artwork of the figures and they would idolize Mary like she's a goddess. Interesting thing, the difference, since we are also traditional like the orthodox and Catholics, but yet we don't revere Mary to that extent. So we are a lot like the Protestants than you'd imagine.

And from a purely objective view (since I don't adhere to either), I find myself more in good harmony in a Protestant church (Assyrian/Arabic ones) than in our gloomy, somber, pompous churches that have so many gossipers and doleful people surrounding you. And priests who think that we are obliged to kiss their palms.  :blink: :ban:

Protestantism also believes that you don't need to do good deeds to go to heaven, faith alone in Jesus is enough...

How are you so sure our churches didn't originally have iconic works and artwork? How do you not know the Muslims didn't destroy it or force us to remove them?

Assyrians don't worship Mary because of our history concerning Nestorianism.

Our similarity with Protestantism is purely coincidental, not for similar reasons...

Gossiping and Pessimism seems to be a common Assyrian, Jewish, and Muslim traits lol...

mrzurnaci said:
Protestantism also believes that you don't need to do good deeds to go to heaven, faith alone in Jesus is enough...
Yes, that. But then again, doesn't the bible say that? I've always thought that Protestantism comes closer to the biblical accounts.

How are you so sure our churches didn't originally have iconic works and artwork? How do you not know the Muslims didn't destroy it or force us to remove them?
I'm talking about modern Assyrian churches in the Western world. We can add whatever we want in them -- Nobody's holding us. And why would the Muslims hinder us from putting Jesus's iconography in our churches today? What's stopping us?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it's not in our sect to add icons and statues in our churches? And that's actually a good thing -- I thought the bible prohibited likeness of God and "idols".

Assyrians don't worship Mary because of our history concerning Nestorianism.
Again, this makes it more truer to the bible - "Worship only the Lord thy God"

Our similarity with Protestantism is purely coincidental, not for similar reasons...
Or maybe, you can say that Protestantism got it from us since we were one of the first churches. We could be their "parent species", as with Catholics and Orthodox. Picture it as a family tree.

Gossiping and Pessimism seems to be a common Assyrian, Jewish, and Muslim traits lol...
You can say that, but how come our Assyrian Anglican churches (with ASSYRIANS) are very cheerful and bright? Ever been there? I find myself more "accepted" and in good harmony in those churches than in ours. Maybe the traditional and somber tone of our churches dampens the people's mood? When I'm in an Assyrian church I would usually think of Gimli's quote (from LOTR), "you'll find more cheer in a graveyard".  :giggle:

Neon said:
Yes, that. But then again, doesn't the bible say that? I've always thought that Protestantism comes closer to the biblical accounts.
I'm talking about modern Assyrian churches in the Western world. We can add whatever we want in them -- Nobody's holding us. And why would the Muslims hinder us from putting Jesus's iconography in our churches today? What's stopping us?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it's not in our sect to add icons and statues in our churches? And that's actually a good thing -- I thought the bible prohibited likeness of God and "idols".
Again, this makes it more truer to the bible - "Worship only the Lord thy God"
Or maybe, you can say that Protestantism got it from us since we were one of the first churches. We could be their "parent species", as with Catholics and Orthodox. Picture it as a family tree.
You can say that, but how come our Assyrian Anglican churches (with ASSYRIANS) are very cheerful and bright? Ever been there? I find myself more "accepted" and in good harmony in those churches than in ours. Maybe the traditional and somber tone of our churches dampens the people's mood? When I'm in an Assyrian church I would usually think of Gimli's quote (from LOTR), "you'll find more cheer in a graveyard".  :giggle:

I don't freaking know, I'm not a theologist or Assyrian Church Historian.

The only time I ever look up history on our church is to use it as back up evidence to prove our existence back then...

The only thing I do in Church is read the Sureth textbooks they have.

As for the dark and somber tone you talk of, usually that occurs depending on the atmosphere of the church, especially if the church has like dark colors and the hymns are sung in a depressing way.

The church I went to last night for Christmas Qurbana was bright and colorful and the choir was singing upliftingly and happy in tone.

mrzurnaci said:
I don't freaking know, I'm not a theologist or Assyrian Church Historian.

The only time I ever look up history on our church is to use it as back up evidence to prove our existence back then...

The only thing I do in Church is read the Sureth textbooks they have.

As for the dark and somber tone you talk of, usually that occurs depending on the atmosphere of the church, especially if the church has like dark colors and the hymns are sung in a depressing way.

The church I went to last night for Christmas Qurbana was bright and colorful and the choir was singing upliftingly and happy in tone.
Funny you mention the Christmas night, because that's the only time of the year when the church would have an uplifting tone.

The colours are normal. I'm guessing it's the hymns, which are usually in the harmonic minor key (ouch). The people also look daunted and distressed for some reason. I don't know.

Back