I visited the hotel for Convention last night - my thoughts

rumrum

All,

Like every year when the Convention is in Chicago, me and my guys go to the hotel about a month early to check it out, sort of reconnaissance if you will lol

Pros: 

The hotel is very nicely designed and new.  It's huge, clean,and very modern.  There is a nice bar inside the hotel and two restaurants directly outside.  The lobby area had a lot of "chill spots"...couches and chairs for groups to hang out.  The front desk used Mac computers, which was weird lol  We asked to take a tour of the rooms and we got to see a regular room, a regular suite, and the "governor" suite.  The regular rooms were actually pretty nice, which I believe is where everyone will stay.  The suite was nice too and cost about $270-350 a night depending on which one you get.  The governor suite, shoot, forget it! lool It reminded me of the hangover, its basically an entire floor, 3 rooms (living room, kitchen, bed room) and its HUGE.  The bathroom alone is the size of a regular room lol  We didn't get a quote for this room hahaha

Anyway...  the rooms and atmosphere looked ok so that was a major plus.

Cons: 

The hotel is FAR from the convention center!

The convention center is where all the parties and most events will be held at.  Honestly, in my opinion it is far walking distance.  I really don't envision women with heels walking that far for a party or drunk dudes walking back and forth.  A good pace, maybe 10-15 minutes.  I was personally surprised at this, I thought it was closer.  The front desk said they have shuttle buses that run every 15-20 min, but those buses only hold up to 28 people lool Can you imagine 1000+ people waiting for a shuttle bus?  :p 

Granted this was at night and maybe I didn't get a good visual, but to me it seemed a good distance to walk.  There definitely won't be any going back and forth like other conventions.  If you go to the party, chances are you will stay there.  Lets just PRAY that the weather cooperates that weekend so if you do walk it'll be nice weather.

I have a good feeling that it will be a fun convention with the only downer being the distance for the parties.  The hotel is near a lot of restaurants (including a Dennys lol) and bars and such.

Party on, t-minus one month!

Hey Rumrum, will the daytime events like lectures and all that be in the hotel itself or are they over at the convention center too?  That would be a pain having to go back and forth for different lectures and wanting to decide what's worth it.  Oh and plus the football matches.  Damn, I'm thinking too much already.  Just gonna have to go with the flow.

Thanks for the report.  Sounds like there are pros and cons with this one.  I was worried about a long walk honestly.  Not because of laziness, but it is always fun when you can have a little party in the room and then join the big party after a little pre-gaming.  Now there's planning involved. haha

Well, that should make it an interesting event. It won't be very convenient for all those youngsters that like going back & forth between their rooms & the banquet halls.  

Nuray said:
Well, that should make it an interesting event. It won't be very convenient for all those youngsters that like going back & forth between their rooms & the banquet halls. 

You mean for the drink refills?  Yeah, that would suck. lol

I don't know if this is more like a spoiler or real help? haha jk, thanks man, that was really helpful.  I hope it helps people have an idea of what to expect and to plan their stay accordingly.

A segway would come in very hand in this case, to go back and fourth between the hotel and convention center lol.

ASHOOR

ASHOOR said:
A segway would come in very hand in this case, to go back and fourth between the hotel and convention center lol.

ASHOOR

You know how many drunk driving Segway accidents we'd have?  That would not be a good idea.  Plus people would try to pile 6 deep onto the damn things.  It would not be pretty.

jacob said:
You know how many drunk driving Segway accidents we'd have?  That would not be a good idea.  Plus people would try to pile 6 deep onto the damn things.  It would not be pretty.

Yes, I am in the early stages of planning this business (brainstorming) so I didn't think of these possibilities yet! haha.  Ok then, I have a better business plan: rent a bus and move people back and fourth (dollar per trip)

ASHOOR

I hope I will be way to drunk to actually feel my feet walking from the hotel to the centre :giggle: but thanks for the report rumrum, its good to have an idea what to expect (fingers crossed it is closer then you think)!

30 days  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

shamoosey said:
I hope I will be way to drunk to actually feel my feet walking from the hotel to the centre :giggle: but thanks for the report rumrum, its good to have an idea what to expect (fingers crossed it is closer then you think)!

30 days  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Lol I agree!

and DENNYS! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol thanks for the review Rum Rum.

10 - 15 mins is not a big deal take off ur shoes ladies and walk :D
plus a little walking wont hurt the earth
it will be fun that is all that matters.

Effort?!
3296215126_7cf7bece01_o.gif

Oh well, I'm not going to any of the parties. Hahahaha.

Barwarneta said:
im dragging u to the parties :D

and we are all going to the parties its not bad of a walk

But I can't dance...so I'd be wasting effort. Oh well, I might just go and bust out my Eastbound & Down moves. :lol:

Ashuriena said:
But I can't dance...so I'd be wasting effort. Oh well, I might just go and bust out my Eastbound & Down moves. :lol:

mode u cant dance will teach u :D will get u khacha tipsy and u'll do a great job

Need some info
I would like to attend this event (yes, I am assyrian), never been to any assyrian event. I live in AK, don't know anybody in ILL or CA. Any advise?
Thanks

akkayak said:
Need some info
I would like to attend this event (yes, I am assyrian), never been to any assyrian event. I live in AK, don't know anybody in ILL or CA. Any advise?
Thanks

come to the AVN gathering,make some friends,meet some new people, go to the seminars, dance at the parties,and have an amazing time.

Back