• Terrible

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Others (specify)

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
In terms of entertainment, people, AVNers, logistics, lectures etc, how would you rate this conevtion?

ASHOOR

I only went to the lectures and bazaar, and of course bought t-shirts from Assyrian Heritage - she had beautiful scarves, with a Ninos Aho poem (Aturaya Khata) painted onto them by Ninos Chammo.

It was great to see old friends, of course. I had a wonderful chat with Lawrence Mansour, the founder of the Chaldean Assyrian Syriac student group in Detroit (and the son of Zowaa's representative of North America.)  He is doing some very excellent things in Detroit with the youth in terms of teaching Chaldean Catholic students about Assyrian history. I was very impressed with him.  He's started an Aramaic Studies program there at their Detroit University (many Chaldean Assyrians attend), and they learn Assyrian for college credit. I spoke to him at length about his plans for the youth there, we'd all be proud.

If only we had more Chaldean Catholic youth from Detroit doing something so useful for the Assyrian nation and nationalism.

it's my first convention that i did NOTHING other then the party and avn gathering. I don't want to vote on just those 2 because each one had completely different scores.

I rated this convention a "good".

Cons:  Hotel way too far from the convention center (as stated earlier)  I must've walked that path 18 times lol  atleast I burned some much needed calories.  Another thing was hotel parking, WORSE parking management ever!  I had to go to the front desk 3 times because they goofed up on parking and spaces ran out because they had weddings booked same time as convention...go figure.  Scheduling of events wasn't that great, but then again that's common.  I ended up missing an important meeting I wanted to go to but went to the sports tourney instead...which I don't regret but I was hoping that they would atleast have it at different times to make things easier.  Also, the ratio of guys to girls was 5 to 1 at the parties lol  And the lobby scene wasn't all it was cracked up to be this year.  Maria's comment about the songs is true, especially on sunday they played a lot of arabic/spanish... no point in my opinion.  The overall organization of convention was ok, but lacked in some parts.

Pros:  No fights (atleast that I know of lol)  Friday was the gathering and I met a lot of AVN'ers and also new people.  The AVN gathering was a definite plus.  The parties were ok, friday was dead, sat picked up, and sunday it was pretty full...danced all the way till 3:30am on Sunday! lol  I was in khigga and lookied at my watch and it said 3am...wow.  The panel presentation on Saturday was very informative, waleeta did a great job!  I think I asked too many questions :p  The sports tournament at convention was fun...too bad Chicago lost both in soccer (4-1 in finals to toronto) and basketball (lost to detroit in last second 3-pointer) Oh well...next year we'll return the favor!  The picnic was fun.  Quite far but the weather FINALLY cooperated!  It was organized well...a little hot but cooled off at the end... lots of people!

So, basicially if the convention center and parties were closer to each other, like in the same building, I think this convention would be one of the best I've attended.  I have to meet in the middle because it also could've been organized a little better on a lot of fronts...but for the most part the entire committee did a great job with the effort.  I guess I'm hard to please hehe  See ya next year in San Fransisco!

Next year is in San Francisco? Why don't they do it in LA? They haven't done it here in years. There's nothing in northern California besides Assyrians, queers and cows.

Ashuriena said:
Next year is in San Francisco? Why don't they do it in LA? They haven't done it here in years. There's nothing in northern California besides Assyrians, queers and cows.

Correction: We used to have cows :).

Ashuriena said:

Did u say Queers???? Jon would love it he can find himself a gal ;)

Good reviews, thanks guys.

I am noticing a trend here: this wasn't your wild and loud convention. It was a little quiter, and I am glad there has been some good attendance to all the lectures and debates.

This would have been the type of convention I would be interested in attending, especially with the very successful AVN gathering.

ASHOOR

clearly the layout was shite  - parties one place, hotel rooms the other, so I understand. 

who's posting the pics from this thing?

Wingedbull, I received a few from ROBIN, will post them later tonight. But yes, pictures should have been posted already ;)

Gosh if I was there. I would have taken hundreds of pictures and would have been up already. It is OK though, I understand, people are still getting back into their routine, tired etc.

ASHOOR

rumrum said:
I rated this convention a "good".

Cons:  Hotel way too far from the convention center (as stated earlier)  I must've walked that path 18 times lol  atleast I burned some much needed calories.  Another thing was hotel parking, WORSE parking management ever!  I had to go to the front desk 3 times because they goofed up on parking and spaces ran out because they had weddings booked same time as convention...go figure.  Scheduling of events wasn't that great, but then again that's common.  I ended up missing an important meeting I wanted to go to but went to the sports tourney instead...which I don't regret but I was hoping that they would atleast have it at different times to make things easier.  Also, the ratio of guys to girls was 5 to 1 at the parties lol  And the lobby scene wasn't all it was cracked up to be this year.  Maria's comment about the songs is true, especially on sunday they played a lot of arabic/spanish... no point in my opinion.  The overall organization of convention was ok, but lacked in some parts.

Pros:  No fights (atleast that I know of lol)  Friday was the gathering and I met a lot of AVN'ers and also new people.  The AVN gathering was a definite plus.  The parties were ok, friday was dead, sat picked up, and sunday it was pretty full...danced all the way till 3:30am on Sunday! lol  I was in khigga and lookied at my watch and it said 3am...wow.  The panel presentation on Saturday was very informative, waleeta did a great job!  I think I asked too many questions :p  The sports tournament at convention was fun...too bad Chicago lost both in soccer (4-1 in finals to toronto) and basketball (lost to detroit in last second 3-pointer) Oh well...next year we'll return the favor!  The picnic was fun.  Quite far but the weather FINALLY cooperated!  It was organized well...a little hot but cooled off at the end... lots of people!

So, basicially if the convention center and parties were closer to each other, like in the same building, I think this convention would be one of the best I've attended.  I have to meet in the middle because it also could've been organized a little better on a lot of fronts...but for the most part the entire committee did a great job with the effort.  I guess I'm hard to please hehe  See ya next year in San Fransisco!

No more questions for you!

I voted excellent because it wasmy first one and I had an awesome time!!! Mostly due to meeting with all the friends I have made on here and meeting even more there!!! RumRum is right about the location though, would have been so much better if they were closer together but it didnt much bother me by the end of the weekend!!!

My pics will most probably go up when I get back to London, so watch out....they will all go on Facebook and I will post some on here also!!!

Yes, there was no fights or riots going on...I think one of the only things that was done was a hole on the wall on the 3rd floor (but maybe I didnt hear about anything else)

Again, lovely meeting everyone...see you next year maybe ;)

ASHOOR said:

I am noticing a trend here: this wasn't your wild and loud convention. It was a little quiter, and I am glad there has been some good attendance to all the lectures and debates.

This would have been the type of convention I would be interested in attending, especially with the very successful AVN gathering.

ASHOOR

BECAUSE I WASNT THERE!!!!

I had a terrific time.  It was a bit more low key than in previous years, but as I get older I don't feel that that's a bad thing.  I was disappointed in the lack of daytime activities.  Only two panel lectures?  That's very poor in my opinion.  Though the Saturday one moderated by Waleeta was excellent and it was nearly a full room too.  That was very nice to see.  I was very impressed by the picnic.  There were so many people there that I got excited chills seeing everyone having such a good time.  I missed most of the AVN gathering but met a some very nice amazing AVN'ers throughout the weekend.

I give it an A- overall.

I heard it is in Shanghai (the official name in my place for San Francisco). I guess we will see a lot of queers and Chinese, but there is an option, as Ashuriena said: hold it in LA next year. It was last held there in '99. Hold it there it is close to the OC and all of us boaters here in El Cajon.  I say LA all the way.

ASHOOR said:

ASHOOR

ya it was but u should see some of the avenr rooms LOL not very quit i say :D

but it was nice no fighting thank god and no ghetto people.

u should have came dude u missed out.

Barwarneta said:
ya it was but u should see some of the avenr rooms LOL not very quit i say :D

but it was nice no fighting thank god and no ghetto people.

u should have came dude u missed out.

I won't those pics you took of us... thanks :)

I had a great time.  I wasn't sure I was going to go because it was here in chicago.  But the older I get, the less it becomes about the location, parties, events etc. and more about friends and family you haven't seen in a while and new people you meet.  Like others said, it was a little low key, but I actually liked that.  The novelty of seeing 300 assyrians jammed into a hotel lobby wears off after a couple of conventions.  The parking situation did aggravate me though and the fact that mcdonalds was the only viable food option if you didn't want to drive for a while kind of sucked.  Other than that, it was very good nice[in boater accent].

Hookah said:
I had a great time.  I wasn't sure I was going to go because it was here in chicago.  But the older I get, the less it becomes about the location, parties, events etc. and more about friends and family you haven't seen in a while and new people you meet.  Like others said, it was a little low key, but I actually liked that.  The novelty of seeing 300 assyrians jammed into a hotel lobby wears off after a couple of conventions.  The parking situation did aggravate me though and the fact that mcdonalds was the only viable food option if you didn't want to drive for a while kind of sucked.  Other than that, it was very good nice[in boater accent].

McDees was the only thing there lol. There were like 2 in a 3 mile radius. Other than that, overall, the convention was alright. I thought the San Diego one was somewhat better. There were a lot more people, and the beach weather made it even better.

To the SF and NorCal haters

....................../??/)
....................,/?../
.................../..../
............./??/'...'/???`??
........../'/.../..../......./??\
........('(...?...?.... ?~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.??
............\..............(
..............\.............\... 

My first; it was good but marred by poor organisation and a sparse daytime agenda.  The picnic was fun - glad to have bumped into a few people who come on here - you know who you are!  Needless to say, I wasn't in Chicago specifically for it! :mrgreen:

I personally had a great time but on Monday I was dying to come home. We didn't leave till Tuesday!

Here is a list of avners I met for the first time:

Kikwa1980
shamoosey
Hookah
Bellamafia
Barwarneta
Jacob
OnPoint
Mjay
Waleeta
Velma
Nuray
Jones

Also saw people I have met before. Really happy to hang out with them again.

AssyrianBookta <3
RumRum
Robin
Carro

and last but not the least Assyrian_SweetHeart(Anita) :bigarmhug:

It was amazing to have met all of you!  :2hearts:

Dalida said:
I personally had a great time but on Monday I was dying to come home. We didn't leave till Tuesday!

Here is a list of avners I met for the first time:

Kikwa1980
shamoosey
Hookah
Bellamafia
Barwarneta
Jacob
OnPoint
Mjay
Waleeta
Velma
Nuray
Jones

Also saw people I have met before. Really happy to hang out with them again.

AssyrianBookta <3
RumRum
Robin
Carro

It was amazing to have met all of you!  :2hearts:

Um... AssyrianBookta doesn't have a <3 at the end of her screen name.  Just saying, might want to edit.

Thanks.  :)

Back