First game on June 14: Iraq vs. SA

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Confederation Cup starts tom and first game is Iraq vs. South Africa.

The game is at 10 am EST ( about 12 hours from now).

It is going to be very exciting.

Go Iraq Go!

Yala Brazil please go and get us the cup for the third time in history.

Brazil plays it's first game on Monday.

Ashoor

Followed by NZ vs. Spain.

Go Kiwis Go. Show the European champions that it is all about Oceana!

ASHOOR

davidb said:
Iraq's paying $5.50 for a win..worth a tenner!

Not with the line up they just released... its quite a joke.... we will be down a couple of goals by half time

It is on ESPN2.

Ok performance from both. SA is not as strong as other African teams.

My brother told me there is an Assyrian girl at the stands with an Assyrian flag. She lives in SA.

Senalco, I heard something about having Chtistians on Iraq's team? 

ASHOOR

These fans are nasty man, if I am not mistaken, they keep booing every time that white member of their team touches the ball.

And these horns are so freaking annoying. They better not have them at the world cup.

ASHOOR

Iraq is the youngest team in the tournament at an average of 24 years and 8 months. That is quiet young. You need some veteran experience on the team.

ASHOOR

I think Iraq is playing better now at least in terms of possession: 52% to 48% for SA.

ASHOOR

Wow how ironic did you guys see that? SA player almost scored on Iraq only to be denied by his own teammate who mistakenly deflected it out. I can't believe it! 

For such a difference in preparations, SA is not much better than Iraq.

ASHOOR

Game is over 0-0

Best player of the game could very well be the Iraqi keeper or the defender Salam.

The team that beats NZ the most and loses to Spain by the smallest margin, will make it to the second round.

ASHOOR

They weren't booing the white guy, his name is Buth, and they were just screaming his name.

That was terrible from Iraq, playing for a draw against South Africa, just shows how far they have come.

That guy played pretty good.  He completely shut down that wing.  The Iraqis did not have the speed in the second half to have a good scoring chance.  And their set plays were awful.  That goes to SA too.

OMG stop those stupid horns. You can hardly hear the announcer. I hope they don't have those at the world cup. First game for any team is always tough. I think they both will play better in thier second games.

The Iraqi coach you can tell has to tell his players what to do always. He even brught out the board to show them where to stand. Looks like they are not prepared enough.

You know what I noticed from the Iraqi's is that they do not hold on to the ball to long, 4-5 passes thena long pass to Younis and it is gone. The difference with the better teams is they open up the play spread the field. Iraqi's moto is move forward wherever you are. Usual preformance by Iraq and they should be happy with the result.

Terrible performance yet Again..... they are too flattered by the Draw but in reality, SA is a Crap team that should have been beaten easily by most sides.....

The Team Selection never gets to amaze you, with players selected who can't even get a run at a local team in Iraq....for example, the number 4 Fareed Majeed.... shocking.....

Bora is as useless as all the other coaches they had.... he was coaching a school kid team with his Board, but his selection of players were poor. he left out the Two top players at this current time, Hawar and Salih Sader both sitting on the bench... his Defense is clueless... to them, clearing the ball away is a Victory... they have no clue how to construct any attacks.....

and it gets even better.... for the very first time, i see a football team play with One Central midfielder Only- Nashat Akram. He was a joke..... he wasted 8 Corners and Free kicks... its unheard of in world Football.....

Very Lucky to get a Draw but this is a rubbish team......they don't deserve to go through at all

Nashat was indeed useless today especially his set pieces.

The reason why there wasn't a great chemistry between the Iraqi players has to do with their little preparation. This is a problem Iraq has always has had and will probably have for a long time.

Can you imagine if Iraq had more time to prepare for tournaments like all other teams? It is sad. But they are making the best out of it.

ASHOOR

SA player who blocked his teammate's sure goal: "I wanted to drop dead right there"

No wonder he was the sacrifice that saved Iraq!

ASHOOR

ASHOOR said:
These fans are nasty man, if I am not mistaken, they keep booing every time that white member of their team touches the ball.

And these horns are so freaking annoying. They better not have them at the world cup.

ASHOOR

Ashoor you're right about those horns.  We need to start a letter writing campaign to FIFA to ban them from the World Cup.  Honestly I started getting used to them and tuned them out, but sometimes that's impossible.  It would be great if they were chanting or singing, but those horns are terrible.

EDIT:  And I'm watching the Spain game and this isn't even a very full crowd either.  I can't imagine the horns in a packed full house.  Was it worse in the South Africa v. Iraq match?

Even drums would be fine but horns are too annoying. I heard something about FIFA wanting to ban them.

If anything I hope they overplay them in this tournament, so much so, that they will decide to ban them fir the world  cup.

ASHOOR

Iraq and South Africa are equally crap! I can't believe i wasted 2 hours watching the game! If Assyriska had played either of the 2 teams, they would have beaten them!

As for Spain. They play beautiful football, an absolutely delightful team. Torres is a champion!

Back