Assyrian high school in Australia has highest intake of twins

an Assyrian college. I really want to know why there's not one of them in the USA but they have Black colleges -_-

mrzurnaci said:
That can change though :) Make youth groups with a single focus.

The intelligent Assyrians don't like associating themselves with being Assyrian because of the negative image we have built ourselves. Most are interested in gangs or not focusing at school, so when we have omtanayeh, they're not intelligent people.

Most people would rather go bible studies than join a youth group, and the youth groups we have atm are horrible. I want zowaa or Beth Nahrain to start a youth group here but I can't see it happening.

Bronit Omta said:
The intelligent Assyrians don't like associating themselves with being Assyrian because of the negative image we have built ourselves. Most are interested in gangs or not focusing at school, so when we have omtanayeh, they're not intelligent people.

Most people would rather go bible studies than join a youth group, and the youth groups we have atm are horrible. I want zowaa or Beth Nahrain to start a youth group here but I can't see it happening.
Why are gangs so prevalent among Assyrian youth? You'd think we'd be going the way of Jews but that's apparently not happening.

I know that Jews have also been in gangs as well but that's not in their image.

Bronit Omta said:

The Assyrian Youth Association in Sydney does bible studies. Except, they do a lot of "non-Assyrian" things such as boat partying, field trips, talent competitions.

mrzurnaci said:
Why are gangs so prevalent among Assyrian youth? You'd think we'd be going the way of Jews but that's apparently not happening.

I know that Jews have also been in gangs as well but that's not in their image.
Young Assyrians naturally seem to be into black culture. It's like an "inherited" trait. I don't get it. Maybe they see black culture close to ours than white culture (rock, pop, etc). They think hip-hop, tough black men, gangs, female degradation is more "in tune" with themselves? It's very pathetic and unfortunate. Even when they're not in gangs, they sure do speak and type like those in the hip hop culture would. 

P.S. Ironically, blacks invented rock & roll.

Neon said:
Young Assyrians naturally seem to be into black culture. It's like an "inherited" trait. I don't get it. Maybe they see black culture close to ours than white culture (rock, pop, etc). They think hip-hop, tough black men, gangs, female degradation is more "in tune" with themselves? It's very pathetic and unfortunate. Even when they're not in gangs, they sure do speak and type like those in the hip hop culture would. 

It's not black culture exactly, it's Street Gang culture which sprang up from Black communities and it's spreading like cancer.

I believe they just like the music.

Thing is though, Assyrian youth could be turning this type of "culture" into a positive one.

Black Street Gang culture is just a De-evolution of the Italian/Sicilian mafia lifestyle which has a code of honor unlike black street gangs.

Then there's also the old sayings of wanting to fit in and maybe those they're hanging around with are of bad influence?

Which brings up another question, are Assyrian youth that easy to influence? And is this why we have a fear of being assimilated? Because we likely know that we're easy to influence, especially when they don't know much about the culture they're surrounded in?

What shy'd me away from gangs is the fact that they murder you, put down your intellectualism, etc.

Which is a shame considering many famous gang members and leaders had intellect and charisma in them that they could've used in a different outlet to better their community.

Neon said:
The Assyrian Youth Association in Sydney does bible studies. Except, they do a lot of "non-Assyrian" things such as boat partying, field trips, talent competitions.

So are arabs and other middle easterners. They get along much faster with blacks and integrate into the black culture, I couldn't indulge much with them though I had many blacks as friends. I found it hard to be around people who swear all the time (Back home, we barely do and if we do, it's mostly typing and it's probably hmara = donkey lol) and I also dislike their type of songs (too sexual, I prefer happy tunes).  I always preferred the fresh africans (hardcore christians), they behaved much better than the british blacks!

mrzurnaci said:
Why are gangs so prevalent among Assyrian youth?
This is a very very serious problem in Toronto. Something needs to be done to redirect these Assyrian youth's energy.

mrzurnaci said:
It's not black culture exactly, it's Street Gang culture which sprang up from Black communities and it's spreading like cancer.
The culture is a reflection of the people. There's a reason why Detroit is the way it is or why Africa is such a hellhole.

ins001 said:
This is a very very serious problem in Toronto. Something needs to be done to redirect these Assyrian youth's energy.

Assyrian culture, language+alphabet, history, nationalism. Just a few suggestions.

Assyrian parents have to actively engage with the kids in these activities too.

mrzurnaci said:
an Assyrian college. I really want to know why there's not one of them in the USA but they have Black colleges -_-

If the U.S. government would fund the schools like the AU government does we would have them in the states as well. 

ASHUR said:
If the U.S. government would fund the schools like the AU government does we would have them in the states as well. 

if the US government funds them, they'll force it to be "diverse" and probably force Assyrian students to learn Spanish or some other unnecessary crap.

I say make it as a Charter school. According to wiki article -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_schools_in_the_United_States

charter schools receive public funding (small, fixed amount per student) whilst taking donations as well.

There are for-profit and non-profit charter schools. Assyrians in the USA should definitely look into building VERY FEW Assyrian charter schools so that we can maximize the amount of public funding per student by having Assyrian communities converge to the very few schools available.

Likewise, we can (and have to) accept non-Assyrians as well but, by choosing the school, they'll have to learn everything (maybe except language and alphabet, that should be optional for non-Assyrian students to make it more fair).

Bronit Omta said:

This statement is very true, especially the part where Assyrians don't call themselves Assyrian more like "Iraqi" or "Middle eastern"... they were only one Assyrian gang called "the last hour" and they are all locked up in jail in Sudney i'm pretty sure many people forgot about them.

Domanic said:
This statement is very true, especially the part where Assyrians don't call themselves Assyrian more like "Iraqi" or "Middle eastern"... they were only one Assyrian gang called "the last hour" and they are all locked up in jail in Sudney i'm pretty sure many people forgot about them.

No, many Assyrians still know them and pretend like they're part of them.

In Canada my relatives associate themselves as being Iraqi because no one knows who Assyrians are.

Bronit Omta said:
No, many Assyrians still know them and pretend like they're part of them.

In Canada my relatives associate themselves as being Iraqi because no one knows who Assyrians are.

That's absolutely terrible.... Is it mostly Assyrian youth that pretend to be apart of the gang i'm guessing?

Assyrians are technically Iraqi like how Aboriginals are technically Australian, but they still should associate themselves with the Assyrian name.

Domanic said:
That's absolutely terrible.... Is it mostly Assyrian youth that pretend to be apart of the gang i'm guessing?

Assyrians are technically Iraqi like how Aboriginals are technically Australian, but they still should associate themselves with the Assyrian name.

Yeah its the younger ones. Dlasthr is glorified which is pretty sad and since most Assyrians are into hip hop and all that type of stuff then they look up to dlasthr. But it's not like they're part of gangs. Only a small amount of them are.

Bronit Omta said:
Yeah its the younger ones. Dlasthr is glorified which is pretty sad and since most Assyrians are into hip hop and all that type of stuff then they look up to dlasthr. But it's not like they're part of gangs. Only a small amount of them are.

Hmmmm would it be possible to take hold of Dlasthr to become an Assyrian army/militia but for doing good things?

Back