Assyrian Convention 2010 - Arizona

Arizona cops are anything but 'chill'.  Don't just judge by your experience.  I know a lot of people from Arizona that would disagree. 

This law is racist and encourages profiling.  Even cops in Arizona admit to this. 

Let's not defend something ridiculous for the sake of the Assyrian convention.  Everyone is free to choose whether to go or not. 

giving assyrian bad name? Um how many lcd television were broken last year?

Damage alone on tv was nearly 1 million dollars according ex president of AF. You say why you making us look bad? Reminds me so much what happen in wisconsin for shara mut mariam. After all these assyrians starting find out about it, eventually it came down to people swearing at the priest their, dumpster fire(s) yes w/ s meaning multiple time, etc and what happened? NO MORE CAMPING AT HOLY HILLS why because we aren't bad, were very great christians who speak same language of jesus christ. NOT! disgrace.

mechwarrior said:
giving assyrian bad name? Um how many lcd television were broken last year?

Damage alone on tv was nearly 1 million dollars according ex president of AF. You say why you making us look bad? Reminds me so much what happen in wisconsin for shara mut mariam. After all these assyrians starting find out about it, eventually it came down to people swearing at the priest their, dumpster fire(s) yes w/ s meaning multiple time, etc and what happened? NO MORE CAMPING AT HOLY HILLS why because we aren't bad, were very great christians who speak same language of jesus christ. NOT! disgrace.

lol what?....!

This is absurd, where are your sources?  lol  Speaking as someone who was actually part of the organizing committee for 2006 Convention in Chicago, I can clearly say that what you posted is completely FALSE.  First of all, the convention organization has to have an insurance policy to cover all costs or the hotel/resort won't even let them sign the dotted line.  It is rumored that AANF has an insurance policy of up to $1 Million dollars which is standard among lots of non-for-profit 501 C3 corporations.  Whatever damage happens inside the room, the credit card holder for that reservation is liable, not the AANF.  They are liable for damages outside the rooms and on property etc.

Holy Hill is a different matter all together so not sure where the comparison is.  It's FREE camping so of course people are going to run a muck.  We aren't the only ones that act a fool at these sort of things and I'm quite tired of people trying to bring negative light on our people.  For every bad I can point out a good in our community so please stop this nonsense.

Also, I believe they are letting Andre show his film after much activism.  Not sure why they denied it in the first place, maybe ego's got in the way or they thought it was something it wasn't (since they haven't even seen the film lol).  But I'm hoping he'll have a great turnout much like he will when he shows it nationwide at other cities.

You should read what I carefully and youd know my source was and secondly

"First of all, the convention organization has to have an insurance policy to cover all costs or the hotel/resort won't even let them sign the dotted line.  It is rumored that AANF has an insurance policy of up to $1 Million dollars which is standard among lots of non-for-profit 501 C3 corporations.  Whatever damage happens inside the room, the credit card holder for that reservation is liable, not the AANF.  They are liable for damages outside the rooms and on property etc. "

Complete run-on because I said overall damage was 1 million in cost for broken damage and never said which party had pay for it.

"and I'm quite tired of people trying to bring negative light on our people.  For every bad I can point out a good in our community so please stop this nonsense."

Oh an Rum2 if something is for free, it doesn't mean you take advantage and both example do fit in as behavior in sociology field.  :welcome3:

Why certain hotel(s) won't allow the Federation to do convention then?    :giggle: I really don't think it's just 1-10 people doing something incorrectly to not allow our people to do another event at their hotel.

Conventions need to be booked years ahead of time. They get denied because they contact hotels with less then 6months to block out a major holiday that's probably already booked out. Sources actual convention departments of a hotel which an avn member works at.

AssyrianBookTa said:
Conventions need to be booked years ahead of time. They get denied because they contact hotels with less then 6months to block out a major holiday that's probably already booked out. Sources actual convention departments of a hotel which an avn member works at.

Absolutely right.

No hotels have or ever will reject us for a convention unless we mess up on reservations and paperwork.  Case in point, in 1995 we had the convention in Sheraton Hotel in downtown Chicago.  Apparently we really "trashed" this place and got kicked out.  Well for 2003 and 2006 convention it was between Sheraton in Downtown and Schaumburg (2003) and Rosement (2006).  Why didn't they pick Sheraton? 

Simple. 

1.  They charged more per room night than the others.  If you don't know, the AANF also makes money per room night from the convention as well.  So, the cheaper room night charge they can make more money off the mark up which they pass on to us :)

2.  It's in downtown Chicago.  If it was held there, no one would attend the parties and other events.  Visitors would just sight-see and do other touristy stuff which I don't blame them.  Plus parking is ridiculous expensive.

Also mech, your report of $1 million of damage is false too.  I've seen the report with my own eyes.  I was part of that committee. And that is wrong.

Once and for all:  No hotel will ever "kick us out" of a convention.  AANF banks off of conventions, as well as the hotels that host it.  We do damage, yes, but not blown up to what people make it out to be.

Thank you and see you guys soon!!

Hotels and convention centers have insurance against damages. It is a myth that we've been "banned" from places.  You guys need to stop perpetuating this stereotype of Assyrians. It's weird. And untrue.

ateelaW said:
Hotels and convention centers have insurance against damages. It is a myth that we've been "banned" from places.  You guys need to stop perpetuating this stereotype of Assyrians. It's weird. And untrue.

Agreed!

So it looks like the AANF is denying Andre a space to show his film. What absolute horse s**t. Boycott away!

If you aren't the boycott type or are already booked for this wretched event, please consider going to Andre's screening Saturday night up the road at the Ritz Carlton 2401 East Camelback rd. Screenings are at 5pm, 6pm, and 7pm. Tickets are $12. You can thank the organizers for that, he offered to show it for free at the convention, but apparently after he spoke out about them denying his film, they all asked for handjobs and an apology. (handjob embellishment mine)

Everyone who can make it should go and support him and help him at least recoup his costs.

Everyone else, I hope you get stuck in an elevator. (yeah I'm salty, so what?)

So the Kings of AANF can do and say whatever they want and no one is even allowed to criticize them? Yeah? Well I guess you can take the person out of a dictatorship, but you can't take the dictatorship out of the person.

Ramin Odisho is such a big baby.  Him and his ilk pulled the same crap in the central valley last year.  They didn't get their way during the state convention so they held their own convention which was a total bust.  He got mad at the local AAS because they didn't hire his buddies to cater one of their events, so he doesn't show up to their local fund-raisers.  I'm not surprised he's behind the decision not to show Andre's film.  Didn't they screw over Nuri Kino several years ago?

I am Assyrian. I live in phoenix. I was not part of the convention. My occupation kept me on the biltmore property for the weekend. A few points: Dont talk about the SB 1070 law if you know nothing about it. Your boycotting it because your going off the information the media presents. Does the media show the 100's of deaths of illegal's in our deserts every year from humman smuggling? No. Did the media widley report the story from a few months ago of a So. Arizona rancher shot and killed on his own land from a drug smuggler trying to make a new rout for his illegal activities? No. Or how about the officer that was ambushed off the freeway south of tucson by and illegal? Nope. How about the number of crimes commited by illegals in west phoenix? nope. Notice not once have I used the word mexican. beacause its not just them, but anybody who undermines our laws and enters the U.S. illegally. This ridiculous buzzword "undocumented". used to describe those unlawfully entering our country, is just another way of describing someone who is breaking our laws. Illegal. as far as the profiling goes, last week I was pulled over on the 202 for expired tags (the tags were in my car, i just hadnt put them on the plate yet) The officer asked me for licsense, registration, and proof of insurance. He was respectful, and when I told him I could not find insurance card, he told me to make sure in the future you have it on you because its illegal to drive without insurance. He didnt waste my time, reminded me to drive safley, and quickly let me continue on my way. If arizona is so racist, dont you think the officer would judge me by my dark skin and arrest me for not having my insurance card? Now onto the converntion: The hotel was wrecked for three days, parties till 4:30 in the morning, the Biltmore had to hire 8 police officers  to break up the multiple fights on property, the drinking, the rudness. It was unacceptable, and although i am extremly proud of my heritage and the wonderful people within our culture, I am not proud of how a large number of the attendees handled themselves this weekend. I felt like I was the jersey shore national convention. This is all I will say and will deavtivate my account shortly. I suggeest that if you dont want to keep getting kicked out of hotels each year, that you learn a little respec for the places you visit and the people your around.

Lol. Yes. Arizona is famously racist *cough*joearpaio*cough*.

This administration has deported more illegal immigrants than the last one, and has been doing so for more than a year. This law required profiling, which is illegal, and the Justice Department agrees, sued, and managed to block those parts of the law.

Jan Brewer admitted to making up a lot of scare stories re: immigrants. But it's nothing new. Immigrants always become scapegoats when economies take a bad turn.

Convention was fun. I made an ass out of myself the first night which was really embarrassing so I calmed down the rest of the other nights..(way too much alcohol+ excitement of seeing thousands of my people).

The girls. OMG! Lol

I didn't notice any vandalism like other conventions I've been too. I did notice the cops which i thought was a smart idea. They were all cool. The pool Sunday night was awesome. Picnic was indoor and SUCKED!

I hope we are allowed back here. I had lots of fun.

lostinthedesert said:
Now onto the converntion: The hotel was wrecked for three days, parties till 4:30 in the morning, the Biltmore had to hire 8 police officers  to break up the multiple fights on property, the drinking, the rudness. It was unacceptable, and although i am extremly proud of my heritage and the wonderful people within our culture, I am not proud of how a large number of the attendees handled themselves this weekend. I felt like I was the jersey shore national convention. This is all I will say and will deavtivate my account shortly. I suggeest that if you dont want to keep getting kicked out of hotels each year, that you learn a little respec for the places you visit and the people your around.

You're a liar about the hotel being wrecked.  As far as "hiring" police officers, you're lying about that as well.They may have had to hire additional security for the large number of people attending, that is normal in large gatherings, but it wasn't due to fighting.  As far as your "Jersey Shore" comment, so what?  People were drinking, dancing, and mingling around the pool and meeting new friends and seeing old ones, so what?  

Stop lying and spreading false rumors because you're too insecure to take your shirt off and walk around the pool.  

There are always police at conventions. Yeah even at Star Trek conventions. You never know when a couple of Klingons might get rowdy and try to send each other to Sto-Vo-Kor.

lostinthedesert said:
I felt like I was the jersey shore national convention.

I felt the same way last year...classy it was not.

lostinthedesert said:
the Biltmore had to hire 8 police officers  to break up the multiple fights on property, the drinking, the rudness.

Police are necessary for crowd control at any event with so many people but the number of fights and drunken behaviour are just embarrasing.

ASHUR said:
As far as your "Jersey Shore" comment, so what?  

Trashy is your thing? Everyone takes the piss out of JS skanks, and you wanna be known for the same "qualities"? Have fun with that.  :blink:

RebelRebel made a great point in another thread (http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=39468.0) about the convention that pretty much sums it up:

RebelRebel said:
AANF is an organization that resembles your typical Assyrian kheykhana; old, stale, and good place to get drunk. It?s been around for 70+ years and it hasn?t accomplished jacksh*t.

jacob said:
There are always police at conventions. Yeah even at Star Trek conventions. You never know when a couple of Klingons might get rowdy and try to send each other to Sto-Vo-Kor.

LOL seriously right?

As I said in the other thread re: convention - they are always fun, you always make new friends and meet new people. They're great for young people to have fun and meet each other, and great for the older folks as well to see family and friends, although we certainly need more non-party events for that crowd. Assyrian girls always look beautiful and Assyrian guys - well, I love you guys, really, but seriously, lay off the hair gel khacha...wettun peesheh khacha mazdyaneh :razz:

I concur.. There was no damage or fights that I saw and I walked the whole hotel everyday. I only saw one argument and some girls pushing eachother. That was the worse.

Also, what do you want people to do in 100+ degree weather in a resort with what? 8 pools? Forget classy.. Keep that for conventions in cold, depressing weather cities.

PS: convention passed this year for this hotel.

Back