Assyrian Convention 2010 - Arizona

rumrum

It's that time of year people:  Assyrian Convention!

This year its in Scottsdale, Arizona (Phoenix area).  At the Biltmore Resort.  Apparently it's a very nice place with a lot of amenities (golf course too!)

Wondering if we should create a sub-forum about this year's convention Ashoor, much like we have done with year's prior.

ATourina wedding falls on the same weekend, i am still trying to see if i can go for a week and leave the saturday just like last year lol

Oh we are a little late this year lol...

Thanks Rum, will open one as soon as this disappointing and boring world cup is over :p

ASHOOR

I really want to go but Atourina's wedding is that weekend. I'm going to see what I could do.

There is no way I'm going to this in Arizona. That state won't see a penny of my money as long as they continue their racist policies against brown people.  Good luck everyone.  Don't forget your passports and stay away from Home Depot.

jacob said:
There is no way I'm going to this in Arizona. That state won't see a penny of my money as long as they continue their racist policies against brown people.  Good luck everyone.  Don't forget your passports and stay away from Home Depot.

What policies?

Jones said:
What policies?

Arizona's SB1070 law which is set up to allow law enforcement to question people and make them show identification if they are suspected of being here without proper papers.  What it in effect does is allow racial profiling because the only people that are suspected of being here without documentation are the brown people, aka Mexicans.  Selective enforcement is racist.  All darker Assyrians, especially men with moustaches, beware.

AssyrianBookTa said:
Jacob: I read in some paper they don't even enforce the law? Any truth to this

I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that there were quite a few sheriffs and police chiefs who have said they refuse to enforce it.  But as long as it's still on the books I am boycotting all things Arizona.

I will be there!!!!

Jacob, stop scaring everyone.  No, they don't enforce it and *if* they do ask you, its because you are in trouble for something else. A proper state issued ID will suffice.

If your not an illegal causing trouble then you shouldn't be worried  :blush2:

HoTcAcHik6 said:
I will be there!!!!

Jacob, stop scaring everyone.  No, they don't enforce it and *if* they do ask you, its because you are in trouble for something else. A proper state issued ID will suffice.

If your not an illegal causing trouble then you shouldn't be worried  :blush2:

I think people should be scared because this law is real, enforced or not. The possibility exists that anyone can be stopped and asked.  We can't just rely on saying that you'll be fine as long as nobody does anything wrong.

The principle behind this is important to me and like I said, as long as this law is on the books the state of Arizona won't see a penny of my money.  It's the same way I never buy anything made in Turkey. As long as it's my money I'll do whatever I can to make my voice heard in opposition.  Whatever the cost of registration is this year, that's how much I'll be donating to the Assyrian Aid Society this fall.

Why cant it be in a stupid place this year like connecticut???  I REALLY wanna go to Arizona.. I can only imagine the tan i'd have afterwards  :giggle:

R O B I N said:
ATourina wedding falls on the same weekend, i am still trying to see if i can go for a week and leave the saturday just like last year lol

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dalida said:
I really want to go but Atourina's wedding is that weekend. I'm going to see what I could do.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I screwed you guys and myself outta convention this year  :giggle: :imsorry:

Aww that's ok Atourina.  :bigarmhug:  We could always go next year. I hope it's in California next year.

Let's see.......visit a racist state and boil myself in 114 degree heat, or stay home? 

Home.

The rest of you, take Jacob's advice and bring your passports with you.  No joke.

Jacob I get your concerns but I'm not that really into it.  The law, albeit stupid, does have some upswing in that they do have an immigration problem and this law was actually in place a while back and now they are just bringing it to spotlight.  Maybe it will help with their problem, who knows.  (No, I didn't turn GOP on you, I'm just indifferent about it lol)

Anyway, I think if I do get pulled over they can pretty much tell I'm not Hispanic and from my family there I haven't heard of anyone in the Phoenix area, especially upscale Scottsdale, enforce the law.  I could be wrong though.

Anyway #2, this post is about Convention not the stupid law! lol  Should be a good one, or at least different.  I'll see ya'll by the pool (in 114 degree weather :p) :shades:

Back