Assyrian Books

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
This topic is all about Assyrian books. Please share any interesting ones you have read or found. If possible, please include a link to where we can purchase it from.

ASHOOR

------------------------------------
Will start with one of the best Assyrian books written in the last 10 years or so:

'The Crimson Field' by Rosie Malek-Yonan

The%20Crimson%20Field.jpg

A tour-de-force, Rosie Malek-Yonan's "The Crimson Field" is a brilliant and gritty historical and literary novel with enormous implications. Uncompromising and un-flinching, it is based on real events and true family chronicles set to the backdrop of the Assyrian Massacres of 1914-1918 in Urmi, Iran. This is a unique triumph in that the Assyrian tragedy unfolds in an epic novel, the first of its kind, supported by actual painstakingly researched historical facts of a nation's raw and agonizing past; a nation that has never been fully healed of its bleeding wounds and still grieves for its fallen martyrs. Malek-Yonan's intense interest in her family s history that cannot be separated from her Assyrian heritage and historical events that have swept that nation in a deluge of bloodbath, began more than two decades ago.

Click to preview and buy the book

------------------------------------

ASHOOR

Guys, can we keep this thread as the official Assyrian book thread please post what you have read and your review. I will be posting mine soon.

51dutxFju4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Great book that links ancient Assyrians to modern.

7/10

51BJTST76AL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The best book on Assyrian illustrations, I haven?t finished this yet.

6/10

51BCE887W6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another book

Again another book on Assyrian linkage from ancient to modern i actually enjoyed this book more than Fred?s other book below.

7/10

51XLTQp39wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This book is for people more interested in facts rather than a great story to read. I personally found it boring.
6/10
51AgQT8tmQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the book of all books amazing story some people say she goes over the top with her words
So either you love it or you hate it, you judge.

9/10

51M7xnjIuOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nice story, but it?s not really a genocide book it?s more about the migration to the west.

6/10
http://www.amazon.com/Remnants-Heroes-Assyrian-Experience-Donabed/dp/B001UG2KDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290554204&sr=8-1

This is one of my favourites execellent book about Assyrians from Kharput.

heros.jpg

8/10

Free_Assyria, good idea!

And I hope I won't need to remind you or anyone else again lol: if you are going to buy through Amazon, please do it through our affiliate:

http://assyrianvoice.net/amazon/

It is unfortunate that I continue to see people buying from there and forgetting to go through our channel, making us miss on lots of commission fees.

ASHOOR

I just got this book, Baklawa recommended it, Ashoor i used the avn amazon search tool but i don?t think i got a discount.

51mEn7yWTIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can?t put this book down, guys does anyone know anything about the Orthodox Church of the East?
I didnt know we had orthodox churches in Urmi maybe its Armenian?

The best novel e v e r, at least for Assyrians !! The novel has two parts, here is a description for the first part "The Assyrian" (don´t know the name for its 2. part in English)

http://www.amazon.com/Assyrian-Nicholas-Guild/dp/0440201977

From Publishers Weekly
Set in ancient Ashur (called Assyria by Greeks), this absorbing epic novel dramatically portrays two royal half-brothers whose childhood camaraderie later gives way to acrimony and violence. Tiglath and Esarhaddon, sons of aging King Sennacherib, grow up amicably and share rigorous military training. Their friendship dissolves when the king's priest proclaims the gods' decree that Esarhaddon will be the next monarch. Resentful of Sennacherib's preference for Tiglath and not eager to assume his prospective duties, Esarhaddon dreads his fate, while noble Tiglath unhappily refrains from usurping the throne out of a concern for his country's well-being. Even more disturbing to Tiglath, however, is the certainty that his lover, comely Esharhamat, must become the future sovereign's bride. Reeling with grief, Tiglath leaves Ashur to become a seasoned conqueror worthy of his compatriots' homage, yet a momentous clash between him and Esarhaddon still awaits. Guild (The Berlin Warning masterfully describes court intrigues and the feverish panorama of the battlefield, but the book's abundant merit lies in its timelessness and universality. This story of a passionately moral man torn among amorous longings, the seductiveness of power, fraternal emotion and cognizance of his nation's welfare holds many contemporary implications. Major ad/promo.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Library Journal
In a quick moment of bravery, indicative of the man-to-be, young Tiglath Ashur stays the hand of the priest who is about to make him a eunuch. Assyrian law in the 7th century B.C. required that all sons of a king but one be castrated in order that there be no question of the succession. Tiglath Ashur and his brother Esarhaddon are close friends from childhood. They share games, secrets, initiation into the warrior's world, and even the same woman, until the question of succession arises. Tiglath, the natural leader, is the popular hero, but treachery places Esarhaddon on the throne, thus replacing brotherly love with hatred. This sprawling epic of unbridled ambition is overlong with battles, tortures, and debauchery. Homeric similes and metaphors and careful detail do, however, re-create a little-known historical period. A map would have been helpful. For larger fiction collections. Joan Hinkemeyer, Englewood P.L., Col.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

You have to read it, I promise you, you will LOVE it !!
In the past, I alwasy said, I will never read novels, I am not gay, but when I read "The Assyrian", I just thought, wow, and I was so sad when I finished reading the second part of this book.

And btw, there are many things which are historical correct, e.g. the surroundings, describtions of Niniveh or Babylon,the royal family and their characters, and so on.

And the way how this book is written gives you the feeling that you ARE actually in this story, you are actually IN ASSYRIA, the autor describes many moments and actions very detailed, e.g. in the battles, or in the sex scenes :D

Free_Assyria said:
I just got this book, Baklawa recommended it, Ashoor i used the avn amazon search tool but i don?t think i got a discount.

51mEn7yWTIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Without a doubt the best book i have read this year.

Free_Assyria said:
You don't get a discount from using that search, Amazon donates part of the profits 4-6% to AVN's account. Which [I believe]Ashoor uses to help pay for the site to keep up and running.
It costs you nothing it's only amazon's way of donating.

I am reading this book right now, i started yesterday, unfortunately its in Swedish but damn it seems so good, it caught my attention straight away. Its a book about our situation, the war in Iraq, our future and some history. Even though it is officially "fiction" most of the things in the book has happened for real and it about people who do or did exist in real life.

I haven't read that far in it yet, but so far, it is about an Assyrian woman from Chicago who works as a news anchor at a bigger TV network. She goes to Iraq to do some coverage there, but gets caught by Muslims... i wont tell you more about that because i will ruin your reading :D

Anyway in the book they tell us how her grandfather fled from Iraq back in 1930 and ended up in the States where he met some other Assyrians and got at good life. And the story continues with Susan, the assyrian news anchor...  

For all you Assyrians in Sweden, this book is a MUST READ...

The book is called "The Line In The Sand " in English but i don't know where you can get it in English if it does exist. I cant find it online anway...

http://www.aina.org/news/20101013020039.htm here is an article about Nuri Kino

9789186603021.jpg

Zawoyo said:
The best novel e v e r, at least for Assyrians !! The novel has two parts, here is a description for the first part "The Assyrian" (don?t know the name for its 2. part in English)

You have to read it, I promise you, you will LOVE it !!
In the past, I alwasy said, I will never read novels, I am not gay, but when I read "The Assyrian", I just thought, wow, and I was so sad when I finished reading the second part of this book.

And btw, there are many things which are historical correct, e.g. the surroundings, describtions of Niniveh or Babylon,the royal family and their characters, and so on.

And the way how this book is written gives you the feeling that you ARE actually in this story, you are actually IN ASSYRIA, the autor describes many moments and actions very detailed, e.g. in the battles, or in the sex scenes :D

This book is amazing i cant put it down. Is it true that they cut the kings sons nuts so they wouldnt have any children?

btw i just stickey this thread.

Free_Assyria said:
This book is amazing i cant put it down. Is it true that they cut the kings sons nuts so they wouldnt have any children?

btw i just stickey this thread.

Like I said FA, this book is soo fantastic, it´s unbelievable :) It´s a MUST-READ!
I am sure, in the end you will say that it was the best book (or novel) you´ve ever read about Assyrians :)

And yes, it´s true, it was a protective measure to make less doubts about the royality of the children of the queen. Everybody in the women's house of the king and in the administration got cuted nuts.

im not even  1/4 of the way and i am saying its the best book i have ever read.
Im loving it more than crimson field i didnt think i would be saying that.

Why why whyyyyyy has this not been turned into a movie? seriously those people in Hollywood need to wake up. How many times are we going to do Robin hood?

Free_Assyria said:

Why why whyyyyyy has this not been turned into a movie? seriously those people in Hollywood need to wake up. How many times are we going to do Robin hood?
I must read it :D and i will try to get the hujada project to do a movie of it in the future :D

Free_Assyria said:

Now you know what I mean, ahuni ;)

Free_Assyria said:

Only one movie? HA! You could fill a two-piece movie, or a large serial with this book!

- Forget 300
- Forget Gladiator
- F@ck! Forget them all!

- THE ASSYRIAN rooockss :D

Yes, there is. The second part is called "Tiglat - Sohn des K?nigs" in German, which means "Tiglat - Son of the King" in English. But problem is that the titles of books and films are not always a direct translation from language to language. You have to google that or so. I couldn?t find something, my google favors wibsites from Germany.

Zawoyo said:
Yes, there is. The second part is called "Tiglat - Sohn des K?nigs" in German, which means "Tiglat - Son of the King" in English. But problem is that the titles of books and films are not always a direct translation from language to language. You have to google that or so. I couldn?t find something, my google favors wibsites from Germany.

have you read the 2nd part? and what is it about? where does the story pick up from?

Nohra St said:
Sorry - which book is everyone going on about? Ashur the Assyrian or "Of Dragons and Violins?"

The Assyrian

Free_Assyria said:
have you read the 2nd part? and what is it about? where does the story pick up from?

Yes, I did. And it is very nice, too, in my point of view not as good as the first part but definitely worth to read!
The 2nd part is continuation of the storry from the first part. Do you really want to know details about the content of the 2nd part? Don´t you want to surprise yourself? :)

Free_Assyria said:
The Assyrian

by Nicholas Guild ;)

Zawoyo said:
Yes, I did. And it is very nice, too, in my point of view not as good as the first part but definitely worth to read!
The 2nd part is continuation of the storry from the first part. Do you really want to know details about the content of the 2nd part? Don?t you want to surprise yourself? :)

by Nicholas Guild ;)

without ruining for me and others ill send you a pm. lol

Back