Search results

1. Cascade

2024 Moscow Terror Attack Kills 140 People

Putin think it's Ukraine. Islamic apologists and other conspiracy theorists blame Israel and even the US. Even though the perpetrators look Middle Eastern, have Islamic names and are ethnically Tajik (In addition to ISIS-K claiming responsibility). As for Putin blaming Ukraine, I think he is...
  2. Cascade

Israel-Hamas War

No one made a thread on this yet. Which makes sense because the forum is hardly active. So I really had to create one. I think Israel should continue the ceasefire, just so that the Hamas monsters can release more of the poor hostages. Whilst I can sympathize with Gazans, except that when I see...
  3. Cascade

This Protestant lady who criticizes Assyrian priests (Sally Harb)

One of her many videos (although this is not edited by her, as she has her own channel). What are your thoughts? I love her content.
  4. Cascade

Young Assyrian man from Chicago drowns in a Wisconsin Lake

Poor man. I can't imagine how his family is feeling right now. Even the cop in the video was crying and devastated for his loss. He was recovered 128 feet (39 meters) of water (Geneva Lake). He was "tubing" and his lifejacket was not secure. I'm amazed at how nobody quickly noticed he was...
  5. Cascade

34 year old Chaldo-Assyrian guy shot dead in Sydney...yet again!

Whilst he was described as good and loving guy (he actually was, from what I heard of him firsthand), he was said to be part of a gang. He was shot dead at 3am. He had a lot of gunshots. His funeral was huge - Drumming, dancing, singing, ululating. His name was Ammar Kettule. More sad and...
  6. Cascade

There exists an "Assyrian race" (Assyroid)

There have been two threads on this (one made by Mrzurnaci), but they were filled with off topic arguments so I didn't bother bumping them. http://humanphenotypes.net/Assyroid.html It seems like a really widespread "race" (it reaches western India, central Europe and the UK). Which got me...
  7. Cascade

Can anyone define "madinkha", "mar-awa" and "tewel"?

Are they supposed to be geographic regions? Madinkha: Asia Mar-Awa: Europe Tewel (or tebel?): Middle East Is that what they mean? Can somebody confirm this?
  8. Cascade

Far-right politician interviews Assyrians in Sydney and mocks them

Mark Latham, a right-winged Australian politician (an ex politician, really) goes out to Fairfield, the suburb with the most recent Assyrian arrivals, and ridicules them for not speaking good English. He states that their welfare must be cut if they don't learn English in 12 months. Latham is...
  9. Cascade

21 year old Assyrian man mysteriously dies in Sydney

He was found dead in his undergarments at 6am outside his house. Nobody knows how he died (at least, they're not telling). Rumors say he was strangled to death and others go on about a drug overdose. He did have blood in his body, they say. Also, his house and surrounds were a 'crime scene'...
  10. Cascade

Assyrian speakers only 230,000?

According to Ethnologue, there are 232,300 speakers, but yet Assyrians as an ethnic group are around 4,250,000+. How does that make sense? Are you telling me that only 200K of 4 million speak the language? I really doubt this. Most Assyrians, excluding younger folks, are decent Assyrian...
  11. Cascade

So Israel is now an enemy because they support Kurdistan?

Why do many Assyrians now frown upon Kurdistan because they're allied with Israel? Like as if that this is a master plan to destroy Assyria and Assyrians. Last time I checked, Assyrians in Dohuk are living fine. Working, partying and feeding themselves. It's because of Israel, Kurdistan is...
  12. Cascade

Gays defending Islam

What's the deal with gays defending Islam and Muslim countries? Sad thing is, Assyrian gays are falling into this trap too. Lmao.
  13. Cascade

If the Assyrian homeland becomes a nation, which city should be the capital?

What city would be a good capital contender, or at least a central hub for economics, entertainment, education, science, etc? Al Qosh? Zakho? Telesqope? Maybe even Mosul (after it's fully ridden from ISIS)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_homeland
  14. Cascade

Christianity decreased from 61% to 52% (Australian 2016 Census)

Christian population in Australia: 88% in 1966, 73% in the 1986 census, 61% in the 2011 census, and 52% in the 2016 census. ?No religion? in the Census has now overtaken the number of Catholics. It?s the first time in Australia?s history the number of people who claim ?no religion? has...
  15. Cascade

Thoughts on Chaldeans in Detroit being deported back to the Middle East?

I am very mixed about this. For starters, they were criminals. Some sources say they were charged with not only violent assaults, but rape too. Maybe they'd learn their lesson if they're sent back to a violent war zone, since they harmed a lot of innocent victims. But is that punishment too...
  16. Cascade

Assyrians on Facebook arguing that Assyrian is NOT an Aramaic language

Okay, so we have been hostile to, and differentiated ourselves from, Arabs, Kurds, Turks, Jews and even the Brits on a bad day. Now our people have a new bone to pick with - The Aramaic language, and how we totally do not speak it. Yes, these people actually think that modern Assyrian is NOT an...
  17. Cascade

Scientists find out Europe was the birthplace of humans, NOT Africa!

The history of human evolution has been rewritten after scientists discovered that Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa. Currently, most experts believe that our human lineage split from apes around seven million years ago in central Africa, where hominids remained for the next five...
  18. Cascade

Why are Assyrian women not allowed to visit an Assyrian burial?

I have heard it's because women are loud and emotional mourners, and so they'll disturb the process? If that's the reason then it is a really superficial and ignorant one. I know a lot of men who wail loudly when they mourn over the dead, and many women who remain silent. We should make a...
  19. Cascade

Why do Assyrians put Armenians on a high liege?

Now look, I have nothing against Armenians. If we have a nation, they'll always be our allies. They're also generally good people and we tend to be friends with them, But we seem to have a strong adoration and affinity for them. I mean I get it, we have intermixed with them and we both belong to...
  20. Cascade

Do you know or heard of any Assyrians who committed suicide?

It's strange, since I've heard of so many different causes of deaths among Assyrians (car accident, terrorism, cancer, electrocution, heart attacks and even murder), but I have yet to hear of an Assyrian who has killed themselves. Maybe suicide is such a taboo among us, that their loved ones...
  21. Cascade

Chechnya opens concentration camp for homosexuals

This is the first concentration camp since Hitler?s Nazi Germany in 1930s. Gay men will be tortured with electric shocks and beaten to death in the camp. Very sickening news. Isn't it not surprising that this is happening in the Islamic part of Russia? After all, the Boston bombers were Chechen...
  22. Cascade

Assyrian Law Codes (crazy Assyrian laws)

Not sure if people are aware of this list (or of it's posted here), but it's a list of ancient Assyrian law codes which date from 1075 BCE. Some are really hilarious and bizarre. Which is your favourite? http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/ancient/1075assyriancode.asp This one was the funniest...
  23. Cascade

Are you against the consumption of dog and cat meat?

Eastern Asia gets a lot of flak for eating dog and cat. I think it's really hypocritical for the west to criticize them if they're passionate eaters of beef, pork, lamb, etc, themselves. I'm only against dog and cat meat if the animals are killed inhumanely. All animals should be slaughtered...
  24. Cascade

Can you swim?

Who here can swim? I'm usually one of the few people you'll see at the deeper end on the beach.
  25. Cascade

Protesting feminists chant "Allahu Akbar" in spite of Donald Trump

Oh, the irony... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWX1SKncyOA
  26. Cascade

Assyrian woman killed in freak car accident

It happened in Sterling Heights in Detroit. The accident involved three cars. Two drivers died, but the person in the other car survived. The accident was said to be the worst in the area in a long time. And it was... Some disrespectful nut had the audacity to film the morbid aftermath and...
  27. Cascade

Fight over khigga in Sydney leads to violent injuries and arrests

Evin Agassi and Sargon Gabriel were the singers of the night at Nineveh Club reception. The party was actually going well. Unfortunately though, at the end of the occasion, a bloody altercation occurred over the khigga lead. It went so bad that they violently started to throw bottles and even...
  28. Cascade

Assyrian man shot dead in Sydney (yet again)

"The victim, 20-year-old Antonio Hermiz, was shot in the head and killed on Friday afternoon while children played nearby in the popular Lizard Log park in western Sydney. NSW Police are investigating whether the fatal shooting of a man in a Sydney park in broad daylight is gang related. His...
  29. Cascade

Do you prefer to use Germanic or Latin words?

This is the list of Germanic words and their Latinate equivalents in English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Germanic_and_Latinate_equivalents_in_English Do you say "wrath" (Germanic) or "rage" (Latin), "whole" (Germanic) or "entire" (Latinate), "begin" (Germanic) or "commence"...
  30. Cascade

Should funeral services be held at churches?

To note, this thread has nothing to do with promoting atheism and secularism, but rather more with the psychological factor of churches. Looking at our St Hurmiz Church in Sydney, all I think of is coffins being brought out of it and the wailing mourners. At least, in the last dreadful year...
  31. Cascade

Are you against the terms "Iraqi Assyrian", "Iranian Assyrian", etc?

I personally don't agree with such titles. Now yes, if you're an Assyrian living in Iraq (therefore a citizen) you are an Iraqi (as with Iran, Syria, etc). But if you move out and become a citizen of, say, Australia, you're no longer an Iraqi/Iranian Assyrian but an Assyrian Australian. So I do...
  32. Cascade

This video makes me support Chaldean separatism

This video caught my attention not because of its content, but also because it's one of the most watched Assyrian videos on YouTube. Anyway, the Chaldeans in this video use Arabic loanwords, sing Arabic music, they are shown writing Arabic and they even dress as Iraqis Arabs (very typical of...
  33. Cascade

Trump supporter: "You will be deported" to an Assyrian (train fight)

There are Assyrians fervidly supporting Donald Trump, but they should be wary of his supporters and their ignorant ideas that some can share (all Middle Easterners = Muslims = terrorists), such as the ignorant redneck as seen in this video. Btw, the Assyrian victim was very foolish and unwise...
  34. Cascade

Assyrian band Azadoota

I found this rather obscure Assyrian alternative folk band (which has Latin/Salsa influence) that was formed in 1996 by Assyrian Australian percussionist and singer Robin Zirwanda. An interesting thing about the band is that he is the only Assyrian member in the group. The rest are Europeans...
  35. Cascade

Swedish LGBT pride march in a Muslim-dominated suburb

And liberals label them as "right-wing, provocative bunch of racists".  :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTg9wfzDFo This video made me smile, btw. Let's hope we have those LGBT pride marches in the Muslim-majority suburbs in Australia such as Auburn, Bankstown and Lidcombe. Could that...
  36. Cascade

Four die in a River rapids ride in Australia

The ride, which resembles a cup or a bowl, rode against another raft, toppled over and the people in it got trapped and drowned (two gay couple and their sisters/in laws). Two children survived though. But they lost their mother sadly. This was in Dreamworld, Gold Coast in QLD. The scary thing...
  37. Cascade

A Wikipedian is in love with the Assyrian language.

This Wikipedian said that the Assyrian language sounds so beautiful to his ears and is among his top 5 best languages. Read through that attached image below and see what he said about the language. Btw, it was this speech sample that got his attention and made him intrigued by our language...
  38. Cascade

What are some horrible names you can think of?

What name can't you stand (both male and female)? Male: Gabriel Henry Bill Bob Max Muhammad Ali Aidan Female: Nancy Skye Ashleigh Jenny Samantha Fatima
  39. Cascade

List of contradictions and absurdities in the bible (Judaeo-Christianity)

For the sake (and in respect) of Mrzurnaci, I omitted my posts critiquing the bible from his thread "A List of good arguments against Islam", since it was about the Quran and Islam. I believe a thread critiquing, and finding faults or errors in, the bible may come in handy for questioning...
  40. Cascade

List the countries where you have relatives living in

Outside my country (AUS): Iraq Iran Sweden Lebanon US Canada NZ And I believe that's it. Where do your (Assyrian) relatives reside in? If you're very private or secretive, you don't have to say who they are to you (uncle, aunt, etc).  :mrgreen:
  41. Cascade

Should we implement the Latin alphabet for Assyrian?

Not that I want to ditch the Syriac script (it should be preserved), but the Latin alphabet is omnipresent. It's all around us. It's the most commonly used script in the world. Most of the world uses it and, not to mention, it is even older than Syriac itself! If we use the Latin script for...
  42. Cascade

What's the thing you done in school that got you in trouble?

In year 6, our classmates had the habit of pushing the chair backwards right before somebody sat down. So I did this to a girl and she fell to her head on the chair. My teacher saw this & got so mad at me that she told to leave the classroom. But somehow she felt sorry for me, since she knew...
  43. Cascade

Are Assyrian people Syriac?

Who exactly is a Syriac person? Is Syriac another name for an Assyrian, Chaldean and Western Assyrian? For years I used to think that Syriacs are people of the West Rite Orthodox Church who spoke a western Aramaic language. So the term covers them only, or Easterners too? I never really got...
  44. Cascade

Somebody created a Wikipedia page for Western Assyrians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac_Orthodox_Christians_(Middle_East)#Identity Must be an Aramean separatist who thinks that westerners and easterners are two different ethnicities (which I don't see a big problem with)? In the "related ethnic groups" they had the heart to include Assyrians...
  45. Cascade

Where foreign ISIS fighters come from (map)

So Australia, France and the UK surprisingly beat Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia.  :blink:
  46. Cascade

Are you happy with our current Assyrian flag?

It's not that bad, but I do think that we need a better, more complex look. Design wise, this one looks good (nevermind the politics behind it):
  47. Cascade

Are you for the death penalty or capital punishment?

I'm for it, but only for barbaric and cruel crimes. Say for a serial killer or a mass shooter, a brutally inhumane killing, child murder and the likes. Maybe a bar fight between two men that ends in murder or manslaughter could do with a life sentence. So not all killings should warrant a death...
  48. Cascade

What's the brand of your smartphone?

iPhone, Samsung, LG, Sony, Nokia, Blackberry or others? And which of these smartphone brands do you prefer?
  49. Cascade

Three young Assyrian women die in the same week, in unrelated incidents.

May has been horrible for young Assyrian women in Sydney, all who passed away days apart within a week's period. *A woman (Nahreen Bobo) in her 30s dies from cancer. She was battling it since November last year, but ultimately lost the battle. She died in her home. Doctors begrudgingly told...
  50. Cascade

Favourite and least favourite Assyrian words?

I like the word "shaqeeta" (creek). Sounds nice on the tongue. Least favourite has to be "hoga" (steam). Makes me cringe when I say it. Dunno why.
  51. Cascade

What's your body type?

These are three body types that many of us would fall into (however, some of us CAN be a combo of these): Ectomorph: Lean and long, often have difficulty building muscle. Endomorph: Big with high body fat, often pear-shaped, have a high tendency to store body fat. Mesomorph: Muscular and...
  52. Cascade

If you had to be an ethnicity other than your own, which would it be?

I'd want to be Georgian. I love their music and culture. Especially their enthralling folk music. :)
  53. Cascade

Can somebody please translate this song about Saddam Hussein?

I don't think that there any other Arabic-speaking users in here besides Ashoor and Googoo (?) - If any of you two can help? :p ! No longer available Dw, the actual execution is not shown. And the lyrics are repetitious. So you won't have to do a lot of translation.  :mrgreen:
  54. Cascade

What are your favourite (and least favourite) languages?

My favourite languages have to be Hebrew, Dutch, French, Greek, Celtic languages (Irish/Scottish Gaelic and Welsh). They seem pleasant to the ears. Least favourites would be Spanish, Farsi, Italian, Russian, East Asian languages, Egyptian Arabic and Western Assyrian. At times, some of these...
  55. Cascade

Gay pride parade by the Kurds!

Who knew that a predominantly Muslim ethnicity would do such a thing, especially one of the more traditionally strict one (i.e. honor killings). This is in Sweden though, not Kurdistan (obviously). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17ViQ65UO4#t=103 For some reason, it looks kinda outlandish - A...
  56. Cascade

Terrorist attack at Brussels airport & metro station

An explosion occurred in both the airport and a metro station. It was a suicide bombing. They still don't know if it's terrorism or not, but if it quacks like a duck IT IS a duck, as the saying goes. At least 34 people have been killed. Is ISIS behind this one too?
  57. Cascade

What's your IQ?

My IQ on these testing websites tends to range between 110 to 126.  :) What is your IQ? If you want to do the test: http://www.free-iqtest.net/
  58. Cascade

Have you ever experienced racism?

I personally haven't, but I do not doubt that other Assyrians would've gotten racist comments (from whites) for their darker skin and  "ethnic" look. After all, we do resemble Arabs and at times Latinos, and these people aren't that favoured when it comes to the white race  :lol: Anyway, my...
  59. Cascade

The Matrix director becomes a WOMAN.

Okay, this transgender thing is becoming a trend these days (not that people find it "fashionable", but perhaps they're more comfortable nowadays?). First, it was his "brother" who came out in 2008 - He become Lana Wachowski (also director of Matrix, Jupiter Ascending, V for Vendetta). Now...
  60. Cascade

Do you have posters or artwork in your room?

I have Lord of the Rings, Titanic and Simpsons posters. The Tower of Babel painting. An educational poster about the history of life on earth. What does your room have? (If not your room, then maybe your house in general :))
  61. Cascade

Which AVN users would be best friends in real life?

So, which AVN users would be close friends in real life if they meet up (even to the point of being a couple - for some Lol)?  :) Inspired by Ashoor's thread from 2009: http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=34127.0
  62. Cascade

Which language is closely related to Assyrian?

Which language, alive or dead (not counting classical Syriac), is the closest to Assyrian Neo-Aramaic? For instance, English's closest languages are Frisian and Dutch. Spanish sounds the closest to Portuguese. Etc. (Turoyo/Western Assyrian is considered a dialect, not sure if it would count...
  63. Cascade

Your favourite song (English only)?

What's your favourite song in the English language? (This is the first thread in this section since 2010 :mrgreen:)
  64. Cascade

Do Assyrians consider themselves white?

So I come from a relatively light skinned family (at least my mum & sister do pass as white). When we see white people, or Europeans, we usually call them "Europnayeh" or "isternayeh" (Australian). We never say "khwarnayeh" - In fact, even my extended family members (who live here & would have...
  65. Cascade

Who do you side with, Israel or Palestine?

Fellow Assyrians (and anyone else), I always wanted to know where you're at in the whole Israel vs. Palestine thing. Are you more on one side, or are you indifferent? Naturally, I'm with the Jews and Israel. Palestinians seem to be too conservative and frighteningly close-minded. Israel, in...
  66. Cascade

If we had a country, would you consider foreign citizens "Assyrian"?

If you're a citizen in countries like Sweden, Germany, England, etc, even if you're of foreign descent you will still be deemed a "Swede", "German", etc. Now if Assyria was a country with people all over the world (or at least the surrounds, like Armenians, Iranians, Turks) living there as...
  67. Cascade

What are your family and friends views on gays?

Most of the threads about homosexuals in here have been about your personal views on them. For a change, what are your family members (including relatives) and friends' views (preferably Assyrian) on homosexuals in general? Are they mostly on the anti-gay side, indifferent or they're full on...
  68. Cascade

Foreign words you didn't realize that are used in English?

I realized that effendi (addressing an authoritative person) and kismet (fate/destiny) are part of the English vocabulary. I find this surprising since we Assyrians use them a lot and to hear these words (which are Turkish) in English would seem surreal. Any other (surprising) words that you...
  69. Cascade

So Iraq is the most atheistic country in the middle east...?

Something that I never understood and found rather suspicious, is that, on data maps about irreligion, Iraq (a very conservative country) is usually displayed as more irreligious than its Middle Eastern counterparts. Is it the lack of reliable aggregation or Iraqis are just generally not that...
  70. Cascade

What city were you born in?

I was born in Baghdad, like many Assyrians here.
  71. Cascade

What is your stance on god or a deity?

A few months ago, I made a poll thread on this. Unfortunately, it got locked due to unwarranted arguments and fights. I hope this thread would be much cleaner. All I want is mature, personal opinions on your belief in deity. Here is the spectrum: Gnostic theist: You believe in a god and you...
  72. Cascade

What's your blood type?

Do any of you know your blood group? I'm AB+ Looking at this thread, I noticed that a lot of Assyrians have an O blood type: http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=30149.0 I guess there is a possible relationship between your blood type and ethnicity?
  73. Cascade

Are you for or against revering priests and bishops (i.e. hand kissing, etc)?

Whilst I understand religion and the worshiping of god(s), I just really can't fathom how people would kiss and greatly revere priests and religious leaders like they're above us. It looks tasteless and exaggerated for me. They are no more or less human than you and I. Do any of you "practice"...
  74. Cascade

Do you have a celebrity lookalike?

Who's your celebrity lookalike? Maybe so I can picture you as them from now on (to the faceless users in here). Lol
  75. Cascade

What are your thoughts on the extremist group PETA?

This is what these animal-"loving" radicals give to children: What they think of milk: Kids and meat (Lol): They're blazing hypocrites. They tell us not to kill animals for food, but they would euthanize them just so no person can adopt them  :blink::
  76. Cascade

Do wear any necklaces or bracelets?

And what are they?
  77. Cascade

Things that AVN posters always say (and NEVER SAY)....

Things they always say: Domanic - I HATE TURKS AND ISLAM! ISIS IS FUNDED BY TURKS!! RARHAHHHAHRARHAHGHGH! Mrzurnaci - Stop speaking your ghetto Assyrian dialect. Learn SYRIAC! Etain - The Zionists and these rednecks are at it again. Atourina -  :loool: :biggrin: :spammer: :ban: :cool2: :blush2...
  78. Cascade

What are your fears/phobias?

Virtually everyone's (rational) fear would be losing someone that they love. So let's forget the rational fears and state our irrational ones. My one and only irrational phobia of vomiting. I've had it ever since childhood. I have always tried hard into not making myself puke. If someone next...
  79. Cascade

Do you ever get mistaken for another ethnicity?

I've mostly gotten Italian, Serbian, Lebanese, and a few times (oddly) British. I'd wager that a lot of Assyrians get mistaken for Italians and Arabs since we tend to resemble them the most.
  80. Cascade

Are Jewish Aramaic speakers ethnically Assyrian?

Those who speak Lishana Deni, Lish?n Did?n and Lishanid Noshan, are they ethnic Assyrians or they're more close to the Hebrews/Jews? Unlike the other Christian Western Aramaic languages/dialects, these aforementioned Jewish languages are rather moderately intelligible to me (especially Deni...
  81. Cascade

What's up with this weird "Assyrian" Youtuber?

She's ubiquitous on Assyrian Youtube videos. She posts a lot of strange, outlandish crap in English and Assyrian (which are funny though). She claims to be half Assyrian and African. But at times she (or he?) got me thinking if they're a genuine person or not (that "name" I mean... Lol). Her...
  82. Cascade

Japanese guy thinks modern Assyrians are "fake" - What to say to him?

Here is his comment: "lmao "Assyrians" are ethnically Semetic, not "Assyrian". The Assyrian empire wasn't an ethnic empire and didn't represent one ethnic group. That's like the middle eastern people who still think they can call themselves Phoenicians. That's the problem with these self...
  83. Cascade

Do you have siblings? If so, how many?

I only have one sister, who is a year younger than me. We get along fine, even though we have differing opinions when it comes to societal norms and such.
  84. Cascade

Did Aramaic's "ancestor" come from the Near East or Africa?

The modern Afro-Asiatic languages (which include Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, Berber, Somali, etc) all have one common ancestor. They derived from a single Afro-Asiatic language that was spoken around 10,000-15,000 years ago. The question is, where do you think that language was spoken at, in the...
  85. Cascade

What kind of climates & weather conditions do you like (and hate)?

I like comfortable conditions with sunny and breezy weather. I hate places that get a lot of rain and snow. Also those that get very hot (tropics) and cold weather (Russia).
  86. Cascade

Most Saddest Songs?

As inspired by this thread, which is its 10 year anniversary today: http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=5635.0 Fall Again - Michael Jackson (Robin Thicke and Glenn Lewis have also made a powerful cover) If You Go Away - Tom Jones (also a song that was covered by many other big...
  87. Cascade

City with the most Assyrians?

I'm guessing it's Chicago or Stockholm. Or maybe neither of them? P.S. I mean a city in the West (outside of the Middle East).
  88. Cascade

Ethnic groups that dislike Assyrians

There was a thread on what ethnic groups we Assyrians didn't like in general. The answers were the usual; Kurds, Turks and Arab Muslims. Now I want a reversed take on this. Which ethnic group you think find us unlikable? You think it's the same ones that we dislike (Kurds, Turks, etc)...or...
  89. Cascade

Muslim host kicks out guest for criticizing Islam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFyFNvs2LDY The scary thing is, despite the fact that she's "concealed" herself, we clearly can tell how she looks and sounds like. She has balls for saying what she said. I hope that they haven't found her. And that host is just vile. I've seen her on a prank...
  90. Cascade

If Assyria existed now, what ethnic groups would it contain....and its politics?

Obviously the majority will be Assyrians. I believe some Kurds and Iraqis would populate some areas. Any others? And I wonder if we would have our own "liberal", "democratic" and "republican" parties, and what Assyrians in general would be preferring...
  91. Cascade

POLL: How certain are you of god's existence (or nonexistence)?

There are some people who "know" that a deity exists and some, on the other hand, are so sure that he doesn't exist. I personally think the existence of god(s) is unlikely, but I can't say that I know that they don't exist. How sure are you that a deity exists or not? And it can be any god in...
  92. Cascade

Woman blinds herself because she feels she should have been born blind

I believe the term for this is called "transabled". These people think that they should've been disabled from the get-go, but weren't. So what they do is, harm their body (blind themselves, amputate themselves, you name it) just so it would satisfy their needs...
  93. Cascade

Do you lose respect in Assyrians who don't speak the language?

I don't know, but I get irked when I encounter fellow Assyrians who speak little to no Assyrian. And I don't know who to blame, them or their parents?  :mellow:
  94. Cascade

Where do you lie in the political spectrum? (left, centre, right)

I seem to be on the centre-left: The quiz - http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html
  95. Cascade

Assyrian flag = Toothpaste logo

So I looked at my toothpaste package and I thought that I saw the Assyrian flag for a few seconds, but then it turned out to be the logo.  :biggrin:
  96. Cascade

Have you ever had DEPRESSION?

Or are you depressed right now? How did you get over it and why were you depressed?
  97. Cascade

Which milat speaks the proper Assyrian?

Is it more accurate to use the "th" in Betha (house) and matha (village) like how Tyarehs do? Or are beta and mata the correct pronunciations? At least, which utterance is closer to ancient Assyrian (Syriac/Aramaic)?
  98. Cascade

Bruce Jenner is now Caitlyn Jenner

He finally transitioned: Very shocking and surreal, considering how quick this went. Even his Wikipedia page is "Caitlyn Jenner". http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/caitlyn-jenner-bruce-cover-annie-leibovitz
  99. Cascade

This site should be promoted.

We need more people in here. Is there anyway this could be done?
  100. Cascade

Assyrians on Facebook AFRAID to tell Muslim that ISIS is Islamic

The Assyrian (or the OP) linked the story about the Assyrian man who supposedly beheaded an ISIS militant. Most of the comments praised his action and such, but that wasn't the problem. An ignorant Muslim goes on to say that ISIS is created by Israelis, etc. No Assyrian had the balls to stand up...
  101. Cascade

What Assyrian church are you associated with?

I believe most Assyrians would be part of the Assyrian Church of the East. Some would be members of Ancient Church of the East and Chaldean Catholic Church. I wonder if there are any Protestant/Evangelical or Pentecosts Assyrians in here (or at least those you know of)?
  102. Cascade

Assyrian woman in Sydney killed after being hit by a car

Her 11 year old son was with her. He was also hit, but he survived with serious injuries. It's said that she was a sister of a Mar Zaia priest Yosip. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/woman-dead-after-being-hit-by-car-in-western-sydney-20150425-1mt9z1.html Here she is (RIP):
  103. Cascade

Assyrian man in Sydney shot dead at 23

Yet another young Assyrian in Sydney shot to death. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-shot-dead-in-horsley-park-in-sydneys-west-20150424-1ms580.html He was an Iranian Assyrian and was relatively new to this country.
  104. Cascade

What kind of music do you listen to?

What genres do you like and what genres you hate? I love ballads and adult contemporary type of music. I don't mind the rest (electronica, rock, soul, disco, etc), just as long as they're not hip hop, heavy metal or country.
  105. Cascade

Have you had a DNA test regarding ancestry?

If so, what were your results? Do you know OTHER Assyrians who did a DNA test? Please share their results too! I don't think the DNA test will tell your actual ethnicity, but rather the region(s) of the world where your ancestors came from. If that's so, then I guess I will see Turkey, Iraq...
  106. Cascade

Berkely students think America is more violent than ISIS

This may be from Fox (the news network which I loath), but this has to be the best thing they've ever made.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO5rCzTpFi4#ws These "progressive" lefties make me sick.
  107. Cascade

What's your skin colour?

Looking at this chart, what would your skin colour number be? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3c/Felix_von_Luschan_Skin_Color_chart.svg/2000px-Felix_von_Luschan_Skin_Color_chart.svg.png I range between 9 and 14, depending on the light angle and season. I've known a couple...
  108. Cascade

What are your favourite and least favourite Assyrian dialects?

Favourites are Iraqi Koine and Nochiya. Least favorites would be the hardcore Tyari and Urmian dialects, which can be a bit grating and over the top. Chaldean too, even though they're not associated with our Assyrian Neo-Aramaic...
  109. Cascade

Assyrian keyboard?

So I already have Syriac installed in my computer. But the thing is, it's the Estrangela (middle-Aramaic script). I really can't understand it as I had grown up to Eastern Syriac (which is the contemporary Aramaic/Assyrian script). I want the Eastern Syriac keyboard (if anyone can provide its...
  110. Cascade

Assyrians from Hakkari and Urmia?

Just wondering, were the Assyrians living in Hakkari Turkey (Tyari, Nochiya, Gawar, etc) and Urmia Iran ALWAYS FROM there? I mean, ever since the BC era, we always had Assyrians there? OR did they move from Assyria's capital Ninveh (or other cities like Ashur) up there after the Assyrian empire...
  111. Cascade

English songs that can be good for khigga?

What English-language songs can be perfectly danced with khigga? :mrgreen:
  112. Cascade

Most common Assyrian names?

Although not of Assyrian origin, but common in our nationality is the name 'David'; which is rather annoyingly overused. When will we stop naming our sons that? I come across a lot of Davids amongst the Assyrians. Go yell out David in a room of around 100 Assyrians you'll get to see around 15-20...
  113. Cascade

POLL: What are your views on homosexuals?

I know that homosexuality is a taboo subject for many Assyrians - While we don't kill them or anything, some of us hate them very much. I actually think that I'm the only gay Assyrian around, or at least in my area (we have so many Assyrians in Sydney). Anyway, what delights me about us was...
  114. Cascade

Assyrians with American accent

Many American Assyrians seem like they try hard speaking American but fail? I've heard Assyrians in Australia and UK talk, they don't desperately try to sound like the natives. They sound natural and don't overdo it. It seems like Assyrian Americans try hard to sound American, but they end up...
  115. Cascade

Any non-religious Assyrians here?

There is this Facebook page called Assyrian Agnostics and Atheists (AAA) and it had around 40+ users, which is not much sadly. I just found it very hard to believe that there were other Assyrians who are Irreligious - like myself.  When I was a Christian, I used to be very pressured with the...
Back