Author Topic: Mel Gibson is considering a movie that involves 'Assyrians'  (Read 7896 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Mel Gibson is considering a movie that involves 'Assyrians'
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
The studio has confirmed it signed a deal with the actor-director's Icon Productions to oversee development of a screenplay to be written by Basic Instinct scribe Joe Eszherhas. The 55-year-old Gibson will produce the film through his Icon Productions and, once the script is completed, will decide whether to helm and possibly act in the epic.

A sort of Jewish William Wallace, Maccabee is famous for his daring revolt against the Greek-Assyrian armies, a victory commemorated each year by Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights.

Source: http://ca.eonline.com/news/mel_gibsons_movie_about_jewish_hero_not/262804
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:35:13 PM by ASHOOR »

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
Re: Mel Gibson is considering a movie that involves 'Assyrians'
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:18:56 AM »
Great so to counter his anti Semitic behaviour he is going to us Assyrians as a scapegoat.
You watch we will be portrayed as monsters like the Persians were in 300.
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »
Great so to counter his anti Semitic behaviour he is going to us Assyrians as a scapegoat.
You watch we will be portrayed as monsters like the Persians were in 300.

Right on, that is my fear too. You can tell by the article I posted that if this was to become a real movie, you bet Assyrians will be portrayed as losers and a defeated army (ignoring all the other things that the Assyrian army did to the Jews and others in the region)

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »

Offline rumrum

• http://www.ramsen.net
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:40:03 PM »
Yeah this may not be such a good idea.  We weren't exactly model citizens in the ancient times so to bring that up now in a movie medium, in front of a large audience, with a message of brutality, is not really going to help whatever cause we are trying to achieve now.  This is what I mean by we have to really distance ourselves from our ancient Assyrian history since its not exactly one that we can compare with or even relate to today.

Offline esz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
Yeah this may not be such a good idea.  We weren't exactly model citizens in the ancient times so to bring that up now in a movie medium, in front of a large audience, with a message of brutality, is not really going to help whatever cause we are trying to achieve now.  This is what I mean by we have to really distance ourselves from our ancient Assyrian history since its not exactly one that we can compare with or even relate to today.

Do you think the Hebrews, Medians, Hurrians, or others of that time were any less brutal? I don't think so. At least our ancestors had the brilliant idea to pictoralize violence in their palaces when foreign dignitaries visited in order to press upon them the strength of the empire -- all without raising an army or going to battle whenever a flare-up occurred -- propaganda at its best. This is the only reason we are deemed "brutal" nothing more.

Offline Nina

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »
The Hannukah story has nothing to do with the Assyrians. When the temple in Jerusalem was destroyet it was the Greeks who came from Syria that destroyed it because they were ruling then and if you look at the year mentioned by the Jews regarding the Hannukah story, the Assyrians were not ruling then. I am surprised at you here ... Do you believe this Greek-Assyrian army gibberish ???

So I suggest that you do what I did and show your english skills by starting a petition and sending it to Gibson's Studios so that they check history well if they want to do this story into a movie because the Assyrians had nothing to do with this Hebrew story neither from far or near.

I have done this before and I do it every year when I read this rediculous claim of the Jews that the so-called Greek Assyrians destroyed the temple in Jerusalem, I send and email to the website which publishes the story and ask them to stop such lies and tell those who told them to correct their history and stop telling fibs. The last email was to a Rabbi and I shall continue to do this every time I see them distorting Assyrian history or defaming our Assyrian name.

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE ???
ASSYRIA not a mere name but a state of mind,existence,history and identity

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
Fred Aprim has a great book on the so called "Assyrian Brutality"
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline Nina

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:55 AM »

Were the Romans peaceful or the Egyptians or the Greeks ? This is how some promote false propaganda and you have picked it up and instead of refuting it, you are supporting that absurd claim.

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
Were the Romans peaceful or the Egyptians or the Greeks ? This is how some promote false propaganda and you have picked it up and instead of refuting it, you are supporting that absurd claim.

Well said.  Distancing ourselves from our own history, is not ownly cowardly, it is downright shameful.  We can't on one hand proudly take credit and proclaim our people invented this, created that, and contributed such and such to the world...and with the other hand say that wasn't us.  That was the work of barbarians!  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:04:08 PM by ASHUR »
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
If people (with no clue of history) think Assyrians were barbarians, what would they think of the Moguls who came 1500 years later or so?

Some historians confuse Assyrians military power and advances with being brutal. But like some of you and others have already made clear: which nation was playing nice 3,000 years ago? it is not like we had a UN or other organizations to enforce peace.

At least Assyrians contributed knowledge and lots of other discoveries to the world. We literally civilized the world with the advent of the first library.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
It's not called the "Cradle of Civilization" for nothing.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
Right on, that is my fear too. You can tell by the article I posted that if this was to become a real movie, you bet Assyrians will be portrayed as losers and a defeated army (ignoring all the other things that the Assyrian army did to the Jews and others in the region)

ASHOOR
whats funny is that the Maccabean revolt was mostly Jews against Greeks, not much Assyrians. Before the Maccabean revolt, the native (Assyrians, Armenians, Persians) were laid off of Military duty, so Graeco-Macedonians were about 90% of the army by the time of the Maccabean revolt.

Plus the Maccabees revolt stemmed from that fact that the Seleucid Greeks were Hellenizing (Greekifying) many people who lived in control, this is one moment in History where us Assyrians survived assimilation.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:06:21 PM by mrzurnaci »

Offline the_dave

• Simple living high thinking...
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
If people (with no clue of history) think Assyrians were barbarians, what would they think of the Moguls who came 1500 years later or so?

Some historians confuse Assyrians military power and advances with being brutal. But like some of you and others have already made clear: which nation was playing nice 3,000 years ago? it is not like we had a UN or other organizations to enforce peace.

At least Assyrians contributed knowledge and lots of other discoveries to the world. We literally civilized the world with the advent of the first library.

ASHOOR
We don't have to go that far, Which nation was playing nice 60 years ago? Germany brutally killed millions of innocent people, in ways that makes the Assyrian way of killing a joke. Oh and what about old Stalin who is responsible for at least 40 million innocent peoples death. And not to mention our "Free and Modern (non barbaric) USA" that killed over 200 000 people in less then 5 seconds and probably made 500 000 who did not die injured for generations (Hiroshima).

Assyrians maybe killed one person in a brutal way to make an example of him to the rest of the enemies. But Assyrians did not kill millions of innocent people
like many modern nations have and are still dong today.
So really what is the most brutal way o killing. One death in a crowd of 50 000 or 200 000 deaths in one second...

Anyone saying that the world is not brutal today can go fcuk themselves... the world has never been as cruel and barbaric as it is today...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:57:40 AM by the_dave »
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline GreenTea

• God made me GAY! <3
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
^ made a excellent point there, dave

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
Goood... its is great when I see that Assyria-empire in moives:)...I have seen other (the scorpion king) movie, they mentioned Assyrian empire...so proud:)

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
Goood... its is great when I see that Assyria-empire in moives:)...I have seen other (the scorpion king) movie, they mentioned Assyrian empire...so proud:)
movie isnt about Assyrians though, it's about how Jews fought against being turned into Greeks against the Greeks.

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
ok, but arent they going to mention the name Assyrian empire?...

the scorpion King wasnt about Assyrian either, but they mentioned Assyrians and it made me happy

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
ok, but arent they going to mention the name Assyrian empire?...

the scorpion King wasnt about Assyrian either, but they mentioned Assyrians and it made me happy
Why are they going to mention Assyrians when it's about Greeks hellbent on turning everyone else's culture Greek and that the Jews fight back against Greekification.....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:36:20 PM by mrzurnaci »

Offline Malik Danno

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:17 AM »
Let me jump in here for 2 seconds.

1)
When Alexander the Great took over he had a tiny army to his name ... yet he conquered the known world. He did not do this with his own army!! In fact he recruited from all nations he conquered and they spread his army under him. There is no doubt that along with the Hurrians, Persians and Egyptians that Assyrians composed some of his army. Having said that there is no doubt in my mind that the Seleucids employed Assyrian soldiers as well.

2)
Its a great thing if this happens because it will show (with a Hollywood budget) ancient assyrians and their technology etc. When I saw "Alexander" and when the greeks entered Babylon I was awe struck at the beauty that Hollywood produced. There is no doubt that with such a large budget Babylon would not have looked like that in the movie

3)
Lets not say "our" ancestors too loosely now. I realize alot of you are gonna hate on me for this one, but lets leave blind nationalism with the nationalists   

there are my 2 cents :)

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 01:46:04 AM »
Let me jump in here for 2 seconds.

1)
When Alexander the Great took over he had a tiny army to his name ... yet he conquered the known world. He did not do this with his own army!! In fact he recruited from all nations he conquered and they spread his army under him. There is no doubt that along with the Hurrians, Persians and Egyptians that Assyrians composed some of his army. Having said that there is no doubt in my mind that the Seleucids employed Assyrian soldiers as well.

Alexander didn't really recruit anyone, he had a force consisting of people all from Greece only, that includes Illyrians and other Macedonians. Alexander defeated the Persian empire using his Macedonian and Greek allied troops which had already weakened the Persian empire during the Graeco-Persian wars which ended in a brutal stalemate. Alexander had 17,000 troops when he overtook the Persian empire, 17,000 may be a tiny force but they as effective as 170,000. However it was mostly alexander's strategies that won him Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Persia, and India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenization - look this up. it has sources too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:49:26 AM by mrzurnaci »

Offline GreenTea

• God made me GAY! <3
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 09:26:48 AM »
sexy Alexander was bi :)

Offline Malik Danno

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »
Alexander didn't really recruit anyone, he had a force consisting of people all from Greece only, that includes Illyrians and other Macedonians. Alexander defeated the Persian empire using his Macedonian and Greek allied troops which had already weakened the Persian empire during the Graeco-Persian wars which ended in a brutal stalemate. Alexander had 17,000 troops when he overtook the Persian empire, 17,000 may be a tiny force but they as effective as 170,000. However it was mostly alexander's strategies that won him Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Persia, and India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenization - look this up. it has sources too.

nah man thats not true!
your source actually helps my point because it says that all the people in the east (Assyrians included) were Hellenized, which means that they would support the selucids and Alexander when the time came.

But back to the point, after Alexander conquered Babylon he recruited and employed a large number of Persian forces in his army! They were more loyal to him than some the his closest Macedonian generals ... they suppressed alot of the mutinies that the Macedonians started!

here read page 194 on this

http://books.google.com/books?id=lkYFVJ3U-BIC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline the_dave

• Simple living high thinking...
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »
Alexander the great did recruit Assyrians as soldiers, in fact the Assyrian soldiers where very famous for their bravery, loyalty and way of fighting. Especially the well known Syrian archers in Alexander the great's army. They were as the name says, from Syria which at that period was a synonym for Assyria. They were the best archers in middle east back then, if not everywhere, and had been so since the Assyrian empire. They were so famous that even the romans recruited them and copied their style and continued to used them a lot in their army and legions for many 100 of years, even in Europe.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:32:45 PM by the_dave »
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline Nina

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:10 PM »
Alexander the great did recruit Assyrians as soldiers, in fact the Assyrian soldiers where very famous for their bravery, loyalty and way of fighting. Especially the well known Syrian archers in Alexander the great's army. They were as the name says, from Syria which at that period was a synonym for Assyria. They were the best archers in middle east back then, if not everywhere, and had been so since the Assyrian empire. They were so famous that even the romans recruited them and copied their style and continued to used them a lot in their army and legions for many 100 of years, even in Europe.

If Assyrians were recruited as soldiers in Alexander the Great's army that does not mean to associate their name with the conquering Hellenists, even if the name Syria is derived from Assyria. Historically as I mentioned before the Assyrians were not ruling, hence for the Jews to associate the Assyrian name with what the Hellenists did is wrong historically and can only be classified as out of spite towards the Assyrians.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:51:02 PM by Nina »

Movie on Assyrians/Christians of Iraq

Started by davidbBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 9
Views: 627
Last post July 25, 2011, 10:39:09 AM
by Zawoyo
Assyrians For Truth & Jusice Program Today

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 87
Views: 12181