Author Topic: Assyrian themed hotels in Turkey (with pics)  (Read 4958 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Assyrian themed hotels in Turkey (with pics)
« on: August 27, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
This is very cool, not sure if anyone else has heard or seen this:

An Assyrian themed hotel in Turkey named 'Vatan Asur Hotel'

(the word 'vatan' in Turkish means 'home')

According to the website: (http://www.vatanasurhotel.com)
Vatan ASUR HOTEL combines the culture of the rooted Assyrian civilization with the state of the art
technology of today and with this important vision takes her special place in Turkey's tourism.

Its facilities include:

Assyrian Restaurant
With its delicious French Cousine and open buffet alternatives you can enjoy yourself in Assyrian Restaurant while having dinner and wine.

Sargon Bar
You can taste your drink or a cup of famous Turkish coffee while having a heartfelt chat wih your friend.

This is a picture of entrance to the hotel, notice the winged bull on both sides of the door

The walls at the reception are also filled with Assyrian art and reliefs

I am not sure if the owner is Assyrian, at least his name doesn't sound like one?

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:12:03 AM by ASHOOR »

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: Assyrian themed hotel in Istanbul, Turkey!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:02:43 AM »
Weird, just found another one: Turkish hotel with the name 'Ashur'!!!

According to the website:
Great Hotel in the Assyrian province of Van and Van Ferit Melen Airport Area 8 km from the city center, 45 km from the island of Akdamar Gevas, 7, 3 km from the church, Hosap Castle 60 km, is 23 km from Çavuştepeye. Stay in Van province, the most decent economic, clean, friendly service, a hotel konfolu.

http://www.buyukasur.com/

the province of Van

Not sure if this is an Assyrian church?

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:05:52 AM »
Nice to see them acknowledge it as an Assyrian province!

ASHOOR

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:05:52 AM »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 01:11:30 AM »
Sorry guys, I keep finding more! lol wow, there are so many Assyrian-themed hotels in Turkey, and more amazing, most are named 'Ashur'

This one is actually in Urfa (Ancient Assyrian city of Edessa)

SANLIURFA ASUR HOTEL

ASHOOR

Offline ashuraya007

Re: Assyrian themed hotels in Turkey (with pics)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
The first hotel belongs to a kurd(zaza).
About the nother ones i didnt hear about them

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
The first hotel belongs to a kurd(zaza).
About the nother ones i didnt hear about them

That province I believe has majority Kurdish Turks.

Nice to see a Kurdish Turk promoting Assyrian culture and history in his hotel.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 01:42:53 PM »
This is what my good Assyrian friend from Turkey said about these hotels:

"Since i am from Turkish Assyria, i'll try to shed some light on this issue:

Vatan Assur Hotel in Turkey is established and owned by an Mh'almoyo (Muh'allami) Assyrian. Mh'almoye are muslim Assyrians who still know that they are Assyrian but of muslim faith.

They were islamized about 200-300 years ago.
Originally they were a total of 50 villages, nowadays they are about 1 million person still living in Assyria.
They refuse to call themselves Kurds, they speak Arabic and mostly are very into their Muslim religion.

Many Assyrians have stayed in this Hotel. I was there in 2005 and we were with an Assyrian group. We got discount because we are Assyrian :)

They have many Assyrian items inside. The bar is called Sargon bar. "

Interesting! Didn't even know about these people.

ASHOOR

Offline davidb

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 12:06:23 AM »
Ash wasn't Lake Van predominately Armenian? I'm guessing the Church is Armenian.

Nevertheless, really interesting. Wonder what it would take for an Assyrian to do something like this..

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Very cool.  Looking at the pictures is actually bitter sweet to me. 

Thanks for posting the pictures of Van, that's where my grandfather was born and I had yet to see and pictures.

ASHOOR: Can you ask your Turkish friend if any of the Assyrain converts to Islam speak Assyrian at all?
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline Nina

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 12:33:36 AM »
One half of my family are survivors of the 1915 Ottoman-kurdo Genocide against the Assyrians and my grand-father who was from the Assyrian village of Kharos used to say that when they used to stand at the hill in the village they were able to see the Lake Wan (Van) below. South-Eastern of what is today known as Turkey was a mix of Assyrians, Armenians and Pontic Greeks, but the Armenians claimed the area as their own in order to obscure the truth as are the kurds today doing in the same area where they are living in south-eastern of what is today Turkey because they have become a majority.

As for the Mhallamiyeh Assyrians, they belonged to the Syrian Orthodox a.k.a. Jacobite church(by the way the Syrian church was known as Syrian Qadeem until about 70 years ago when the Orthodox title was added and the Qadeem title was removed ... I have seen baptism certificates of people born during that time and the word Orthodox does not exist on their certificates but rather Syrian Qadeem).

The story of the Muhallamiya conversion is told by western Assyrians because even though many Assyrian Genocide survivors were forced to convert to Islam since they were either kidnapped, the women taken as Harems as well as children but the Muhallamiya's story is a sad one because it was caused by the idiocy of a Syrian bishop. The story as told is that it was the Great Lent and people did not have any vegetation available to eat so they went to the bishop in their area and asked him to allow them to eat meat when they break their lent since they did not have any thing else and they had young children to feed, the bishop refused and told them that they are not allowed to eat meat even if they were to die. Hence, it was a backlash against that idiotic bishop and many of them converted to Islam to spite him.
ASSYRIA not a mere name but a state of mind,existence,history and identity

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »
Jap, Nina is right. Here is an Syrian Orthodox Marriage Certification, look how Syriani is translated ;) : http://www.cavemanart.com/osroene/images/SuryaniKadim.jpg

And we did have a discussion about the Muhallamiya here too. Today they are mostly assimilated, only a few of them know about their Assyrian identity. I know many of them live in Midyat and Astel and surrounding, and some of them found an Assyrian culture club in Midyat.
The Rights of Assyrians -UN Declaration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDtB12aA8I

The existence of the Assyrian Nation & Nationality is a fact
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
check this out i went there when i was in london.

best duck ive ever had.

http://www.gilgameshbar.com/gallery.htm

"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
One half of my family are survivors of the 1915 Ottoman-kurdo Genocide against the Assyrians and my grand-father who was from the Assyrian village of Kharos used to say that when they used to stand at the hill in the village they were able to see the Lake Wan (Van) below. South-Eastern of what is today known as Turkey was a mix of Assyrians, Armenians and Pontic Greeks, but the Armenians claimed the area as their own in order to obscure the truth as are the kurds today doing in the same area where they are living in south-eastern of what is today Turkey because they have become a majority.

As for the Mhallamiyeh Assyrians, they belonged to the Syrian Orthodox a.k.a. Jacobite church(by the way the Syrian church was known as Syrian Qadeem until about 70 years ago when the Orthodox title was added and the Qadeem title was removed ... I have seen baptism certificates of people born during that time and the word Orthodox does not exist on their certificates but rather Syrian Qadeem).

The story of the Muhallamiya conversion is told by western Assyrians because even though many Assyrian Genocide survivors were forced to convert to Islam since they were either kidnapped, the women taken as Harems as well as children but the Muhallamiya's story is a sad one because it was caused by the idiocy of a Syrian bishop. The story as told is that it was the Great Lent and people did not have any vegetation available to eat so they went to the bishop in their area and asked him to allow them to eat meat when they break their lent since they did not have any thing else and they had young children to feed, the bishop refused and told them that they are not allowed to eat meat even if they were to die. Hence, it was a backlash against that idiotic bishop and many of them converted to Islam to spite him.

Thanks for sharing.  What a moronic Bishop.  I'm sure he wasn't going hungry.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Assyrian pics

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 37
Views: 2717
Last post September 06, 2006, 08:33:16 AM
by atourina
Assyrian Genocide Victims Discovered in Turkey

Started by MalekthaA2RETABoard News & Current Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1253
Last post November 14, 2006, 08:43:17 AM
by MalekthaA2RETA