Author Topic: Breaking News: Giant blast hits government buildings in Oslo, Norway  (Read 4635 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
 A bomb exploded in a government area, a press officer at Oslo Police Station confirmed to CNN.

“There has been a bomb explosion in the government area," the officer said. "At least one person is dead and a number of people are injured, we don’t have the exact number yet."

more information on CNN.com

ASHOOR

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: Breaking News: Giant blast hits government buildings in Oslo, Norway
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »
Assuming this is a terrorist attack, why would anyone attack a country as peaceful and with nice people as Norway? because of their 12 soldiers in Afghanistan?

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline New Corduene

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »
Assuming this is a terrorist attack, why would anyone attack a country as peaceful and with nice people as Norway? because of their 12 soldiers in Afghanistan?

ASHOOR

AHOOR, let's not judge too quickly. The killer was actually a Christian fundamentalist with Anti-Muslim views.
He was identified as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »

Offline New Corduene

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:01:26 AM »
91 killed in Norway island massacre, capital blast

OSLO, Norway (AP) — A Norwegian dressed as a police officer gunned down at least 84 people at an island youth retreat for before being arrested, police said Saturday. Investigators are still searching the surrounding waters, where people fled the attack, which followed an explosion in nearby Oslo that killed seven.

The mass shootings are among the worst in history. With the blast outside the prime minister's office, they formed the deadliest day of terror in Western Europe since the 2004 Madrid train bombings killed 191.

Police official Roger Andresen told reporters that the total death toll was now 91 and that a suspect was in custody being questioned for both assaults and is cooperating with the investigators.

Though police did not release his name, Norwegian national broadcaster NRK identified him as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik and said police searched his Oslo apartment overnight. NRK and other Norwegian media posted pictures of the blond, blue-eyed Norwegian.

"He is clear on the point that he wants to explain himself," Roger Andresen told reporters Saturday.

National police chief Sveinung Sponheim told NRK that the suspected gunman's Internet postings "suggest that he has some political traits directed toward the right, and anti-Muslim views, but whether that was a motivation for the actual act remains to be seen."

Andersen said the suspect posted on websites with Christian fundamentalist tendencies. He did not describe the websites in any more details.

A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

"It seems it's not Islamic-terror related," the official said. "This seems like a madman's work."

Norway has not changed its threat level after twin attacks on the capital and a nearby island retreat, the justice minister said Saturday.

Justice Minister Knut Storberget told reporters Saturday the government was in constant discussion with police and were continually assessing it.

"The debate on the threat level is ongoing," Storberget said.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg told reporters Saturday that he had spent many summers on the island of Utoya, which was hosting a youth retreat for his party.

Utoya is "my childhood paradise that yesterday was transformed into Hell," he said at a news conference in the capital at which Storberget also appeared.

Johan Fredriksen, another police official, said Saturday a SWAT team was put on standby after a bombing in Oslo.

When asked how long it took the SWAT team to arrive at the island after the shooting began, Fredriksen said: "It takes the time it takes to drive fast." He said that was about 30 minutes.

Police initially said about 10 were killed at the forested camp on the island, but some survivors said they thought the toll was much higher. Police director Oystein Maeland told reporters early Saturday they had discovered many more victims.

Maeland said the death toll could rise even more. He said others were severely wounded, but police didn't know how many were hurt.

The island is about 500 yards (meters) from one shore of Tyrifjorden lake, an oddly shaped body of water that is 15 miles (25 kilometers) at its longest and 8 miles (12 kilometers) at its widest.

Offline New Corduene

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »
Witnesses describe scene of terror at Norway camp

The man in the police uniform shouted for the campers to come closer. When they did, he killed them.

The gunman who killed at least 80 people at an island youth camp northwest of Oslo used his disguise to lure in his victims, then shot them twice to make sure they were dead, survivors said in the village of Sundvollen, where they were taken after the massacre.

"I saw many dead people," said 15-year old Elise, whose father, Vidar Myhre, didn't want her to disclose her last name. She just feet away from the gunman when he opened fire in the camp on Utoya island.

Elise said she had just come out from an information meeting in a nearby building when she heard gunshots. She saw a police officer and thought she was safe, but then he started shooting.

"He first shot people on the island. Afterward he started shooting people in the water," she said.

Elise said she hid behind the same rock that the killer was standing on. "I could hear his breathing from the top of the rock," she said.

In panic, the girl phoned her parents, whispering to them what was going on.

"They told me not to panic and that everything would be OK." Her parents also told her to get rid of a brightly colored jacket she was wearing to not draw attention to herself.

She said it was impossible to say how many minutes passed while she was waiting for him to stop.

Survivors described a scene of sheer terror at the camp, which is organized by the youth wing of Norway's ruling Labor party. Hundreds of young people were eagerly awaiting a speech the prime minister was to give there Saturday.

Police said the man arrested in the shooting is Norwegian and had set off a bomb that killed seven people outside the prime minister's headquarters in Oslo, about 20 miles (35 kilometers) from the camp.

Several of the survivors seemed calm as anxious parents picked them up at a Sundvollen hotel, but the stories they told were of utter terror.

Dana Berzingi (<---That guy is a Kurd!) said the fake police officer ordered people to come closer, then pulled weapons and ammunition from a bag and started shooting.

Several victims "had pretended as if they were dead to survive," the 21-year-old said. But after shooting the victims with one gun, the gunman shot them again in the head with a shotgun, he said.

"I lost several friends," said Berzingi, whose pants were stained with blood. He said he used the cell phone of one of his fallen friends to call police.

Emilie Bersaas, identified by Sky News television as one of the youths on the island, said she ran inside a school building and hid under a bed when the shooting started.

"At one point the shooting was very, very close (to) the building, I think actually it actually hit the building one time, and the people in the next room screamed very loud," she said.

"I laid under the bed for two hours and then the police smashed a window and came in," Bersaas said. "It seems kind of unreal, especially in Norway. This is not something that could happen here."

Another camper, Niclas Tokerud, stayed in touch with his sister through the attack through text messages.

"He sent me a text saying 'there's been gunshots. I am scared (expletive). But I am hiding and safe. I love you,'" said Nadia Tokerud, a 25-year-old graphic designer in Hokksund, Norway.

As he boarded a boat from the island after the danger had passed he sent one more text: "I'm safe."

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
AHOOR, let's not judge too quickly. The killer was actually a Christian fundamentalist with Anti-Muslim views.
He was identified as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik.

Hey bro, I understand and I don't think I jumped to conclusions yet. I was basing my statement on assumptions as of then and didn't confirm anything.

By the way, while he is 'anti-Muslim', he wasn't a fundamental Christian, based on what we have been reading so far.  Some people-and left leaning media-are making the mistake of labeling him as 'fundamental Christian' simply based on his 'anti-Muslim' and 'anti-multiculturalism' views.

Here is something from a Norwegian newspaper:

"Norway Killer called himself as "nationalist" resented Somalis with "full Norwegian passports" on welfare sending money to Al-Shabab."

So he was a fundamentalist and a nationalist, but not sure about a 'fundamental Christian'

Anyway, regardless of who did it or the motive, this is a horrible horrible crime and I feel so bad for Norway. If the man really hated Muslims, and I am not not advocating for any type of murder of any person, he should have gone after them, not his own people. I guess in this sense, this does make him seem just like Muslim terrorists who kill more of their own than from others.

ASHOOR

Offline New Corduene

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
So he was a fundamentalist and a nationalist, but not sure about a 'fundamental Christian'

You could be right! We have to wait for more information to be revealed about his intentions and true motives. There are already speculations that a second accomplice was involved in the shootings. So, we have to wait and see what the investigations lead to.

Indeed that is a horrible, heinous and unimaginable crime of immeasurable scale. He was on a killing spree for over an hour! Witnesses say that whenever he shot someone, he went onto their corpses and shot them in the head second time with a shotgun to make sure they were dead.
It is very difficult to understand how a monster like that could be produced in a peaceful society like Norway. But then again, no nation is free from loonies and psychos!

Offline New Corduene

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Another article on the subject:

Norway terror suspect believed to be Christian fundamentalist
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15261515,00.html

With the motive still unknown, Norway police have described the suspect in Friday's deadly attacks in Oslo as an "ethnic Norwegian" and "Christian fundamentalist," dismissing reports of links to rightwing extremists.

The 32-year-old man charged with the deadly Oslo twin bomb and shooting attacks is a blonde-haired and blue-eyed "ethnic Norwegian" with no apparent links to rightwing extremists or terrorist groups, police said Saturday in the wake of the country's worst tragedy since World War II.

"Anders Behring Breivik came from nowhere," police spokesman Roger Andersen said, dismissing claims that the man belonged to any of the known rightwing organizations in Norway.

"We would have otherwise had him on our radar if he had been active in any neo-Nazi group," adding, however, that it was possible that the man was influenced by extremist ideology.

From information gleaned from social networking sites, Breivik appears to be a conservative Christian nationalist. Before his Facebook profile was deactivated late on Friday, it featured a picture of a man with wavy blonde hair looking away from the camera. He was listed as "conservative, Christian, and single," but no warnings of any coming attacks could be found.

However, six days prior to the attacks Breivik sent an ambiguous, yet foreboding message on the microblogging website, Twitter, quoting British philosopher John Stuart Mills.

"One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100,000 who have only interests."

Individual ideology

One of Breivik's friends told the Norwegian daily Verdan's Gang (VG) that his former schoolmate had been introverted and had harbored nationalist views.

He had belonged to Norway's conservative Progress Party, the Fremskrittspartiet, which fights for much tougher restriction on immigration, but had left the party. Progress leaders described him as a member who "stayed behind the scenes and was not very active."

Articles written by Breivik that have been published on the internet show that he harbored anti-Muslim views and that the strongly disagreed with the current government's stance on immigration, which he said was leading to multiculturalism in Norway.

"When did multiculturalism cease to be an ideology designed to deconstruct European culture, traditions, identity and nation-states?" said one entry, posted last year, pointed out by Norwegian daily Aftenposten on the rightwing website "document.no."

Access to guns, fertilizer

VG reported that Breivik lived on his own with his mother in a four-storey apartment building in Oslo and that, other than completing obligatory service in the Norwegian army, he was connected in no other way to any military organization.

However, Breivik was a member of a gun club that gave him access to a Glock pistol and an automatic machine gun. Eyewitness reports said the shooter was using an M16 when he opened fire on the youth camp residents on the Utoeya island.

Details arose Saturday that Breivik had bought six tons of fertilizer in May from the Felleskjoepet Agri supply firm. Fertilizer can be used in homemade bombs.

Without naming the exact type, the supplier said Breivik ordered the fertilizer through his own company, an agriculture producer located hundreds of kilometers north of Oslo.

"It was 6 tons of fertilizer," the spokesperson at Felleskyoepet Agri said, "which is a small, normal order for a standard agricultural producer."

Offline New Corduene

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:04:56 PM »
A shocking photo! The killer is the man in black with corpses of the dead floating in the water all around him.

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
i heard about this..
it is unbelievable!  and very very shocking!

:(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:43:55 PM by shekwanta »

Offline AlexSuryoyo

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »
Just horrible!!! How a man can do that ???!!! :bash: :bash:
I am Aramean

I am Assyrian

I am Chaldean

I am Mesopotamian

I AM BETH NAHRIN !!!!

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
Ashoor, according Swedish Newspapper, DN, GP, Aftonbladt, that he is a christians fundentmentalist, but doesnt mean all Christians from Norway are like him...

My point is just let you know that he is a christian fundenmentalist, but we cant never ever compare christians fundentmentalist to the islamic one...

Offline chemaster

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
Many of you may stipulate him to be a monstrous murderer but in his ""book"" he has mentioned/acknowledged the horrors done by the muslims to the assyrians in the islamic world and also has condemned the western world for doing nothing about it. At least we ought to give credit for his words.  Murder is no justification for anything specially killing fellow christian citizens..

check out:  http://norskgoy.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/2083-aeuropeandeclarationofindependence.pdf

page 784 is interesting.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
Many of you may stipulate him to be a monstrous murderer but in his ""book"" he has mentioned/acknowledged the horrors done by the muslims to the assyrians in the islamic world and also has condemned the western world for doing nothing about it. At least we ought to give credit for his words.  Murder is no justification for anything specially killing fellow christian citizens..

check out:  http://norskgoy.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/2083-aeuropeandeclarationofindependence.pdf

page 784 is interesting.

Chemaster, thanks for that link, very interesting. I saw the reference to 'Assyrians'

You know what, while it is nice to us being acknowledged by someone, I just can't accept the stupid way he went about doing what he did or to try and justify it. Had he defended us in the international community and through diplomacy, I would have really appreciated it. But to do this way? no thanks...

a big loss...

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:55:10 PM by ASHOOR »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
He mentions Assyrians no less than 10 times in his manifesto!

Here is an interesting part. He seems to have done a real deep research on the topic:

9. Establishing of a Christian Assyrian nation.
The Assyrian Christian people (known as Assyrians, Syriacs, Syrian Christians, Syriac
Christians, Suroye/Suryoye and other variants, see names of Syriac Christians) are an
ethnic group whose origins lie in the Fertile Crescent, their homeland today being divided
between Northern Iraq, Syria, Western Iran, and Turkey's Southeastern Anatolia. Most of
the Christian Assyrians have been forcibly converted, many have been killed in numerous
Jihadi genocides and pogroms the last centuries. Many have migrated to the Caucasus,
North America and Europe during the past century.
Assyrian/Syriacs Christians in Syria are a significant minority that lives in the north and
northeast (al-Qamishli, al-Hasakah) and number around 700,000. Their numbers have
been boosted by many Iraqi refugees since the Iraq War.
Middle East countries with significant populations:
Homeland
Iraq 150 000-830 000
Syria 52 000-735 000
Iran 10 500-103 000
Turkey 4 000-70 000
Diaspora
United States 83 000
Sweden 80 000
Jordan 77 000
Germany 70 000
Australia 25 000
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_people
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fertile_Crescent_7500_BC_DAN.PNG

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »
Chemaster, thanks for that link, very interesting. I saw the reference to 'Assyrians'

You know what, while it is nice to us being acknowledged by someone, I just can't accept the stupid way he went about doing what he did or to try and justify it. Had he defended us in the international community and through diplomacy, I would have really appreciated it. But to do this way? no thanks...

a big loss...

ASHOOR

Some people on FB mention how this is nothing to be proud of. I don't think we are proud of anything. We are simply referencing what he wrote about, because it is quiet interesting that he would mention Assyrians.

Like I mentioned, had he defended our rights through other peaceful means, I would be very honored and proud of him. But to do it this way? no sorry, I don't want to be associated with him or any of his ideologies...

ASHOOR

Breaking News: A Violent Earthquake Hits Melbourne

Started by SenalcoBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 23
Views: 859
Last post March 08, 2009, 05:30:49 AM
by Uneek
Breaking News: 8.3 Quake, Tsunami hits American Samoa, !

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 3
Views: 683
Last post September 29, 2009, 04:39:54 PM
by baklawa
Breaking News: 37 Killed in Moscow subway blast

Replies: 0
Views: 337
Last post March 29, 2010, 02:06:27 AM
by ASHOOR
Breaking News: This could be the Strangest Thing you have ever Heard!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 14
Views: 1181
Last post February 27, 2006, 07:08:22 PM
by GeOrGiNa
Breaking News: The Killers of the Late Archbishop may be Captured....

Replies: 15
Views: 2326
Last post March 24, 2008, 07:20:24 PM
by Atorayet d Kirkuk