Author Topic: Turlock Mayor Saves Historic Assyrian Church  (Read 2276 times)

Online ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Turlock Mayor Saves Historic Assyrian Church
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:34:25 AM »
Turlock’s earliest Assyrian church, set for demolition, was saved this week by the efforts of Turlock Mayor John Lazar.

“I couldn’t see it being torn down,” Lazar said. “It was part of Turlock’s history.”

The church, initially built in 1923 for Assyrians of all denominations, became the site of Crane Elementary School when sold to the Turlock Unified School District in the 1950s. For years, the building was used as the school cafeteria.

The building that housed Turlock’s first Assyrian church was moved from the Crane School campus, where it was scheduled to be demolished, to the St. Addai Assyrian Church of the East on Monte Vista Avenue on Thursday after Mayor John Lazar stepped in to save the historic structure.

Even as Crane Elementary School’s mission changed in recent years, shifting from a traditional elementary to a kindergarten-only facility and then into the site of TUSD’s Head Start preschool program, the building remained a campus fixture. But the newest plan – to repurpose the campus as the eCademy charter school beginning in fall 2011 – calls for the demolition of the old cafeteria as part of a $2.65 million makeover, approved by the TUSD Board Trustees on Aug. 24, 2010.

As Lazar attended that school board meeting, he remembered the building’s roots as an Assyrian church.

“I had recalled my father had told me that was the church he had attended when he was young, and my grandparents too,” Lazar said, who remembered watching home movies showing the church in the building.

Lazar, along with Turlocker Mike Warda, decided to call the TUSD and ask for a temporary reprieve for the building, so that he might be able to move the building to a new home. The district agreed, and on Wednesday the movers came in.

On Thursday, the building was wheeled, ever so slowly, to St. Addai Assyrian Church of the East on Monte Vista Avenue. The new church agreed to house the old church on their land, plunking it down in a parcel initially reserved for the pastor’s home.

The permanent site could yet move, Lazar said, depending on the church’s space needs. But Lazar has high hopes for the former church, which still appears to feature the original wooden roof and floor.

Lazar hopes to turn the building into a museum for Turlock’s Assyrian churches, uniting members of the various Assyrian faiths to create a lasting monument open to all Turlockers.

“Whether or not you’re Assyrian, you’re going to appreciate the building,” Lazar said.

There’s much work still to be done. First, while Lazar and Warda paid most of the moving costs, some yet remain. Then it’s the hard work of organizing volunteers and refurbishing the old church house.

But, for Lazar, the hard work will be worth it.

“I’m very sentimental. I love history, and I love Turlock history and this means a lot to me,” Lazar said.

source

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Nina

Re: Turlock Mayor Saves Historic Assyrian Church
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:59:19 PM »
Excellent work a piece of Assyrian history to be preserved ...
ASSYRIA not a mere name but a state of mind,existence,history and identity

Online mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »
we have plenty of churches, we don't need that one...

plus it's not a part of turlock history, its a reminder how we are driven out of our homeland.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:20:41 PM »
we have plenty of churches, we don't need that one...

plus it's not a part of turlock history, its a reminder how we are driven out of our homeland.

everything is a reminder of how we have been driven out of our home land, Assyriska, AVN, you, me everything. This is still our history.
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline Enki

• Ron Paul 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »
Very good work by the Assyrians of Turlock. Hopefully they can restore it to its original form. That would be something very special to all Assyrians of the area. I'd make a stop over there for sure if I'm ever in the area.
"If you don't want to be criticized, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing!"

Man smashes, steals V.Mary statue from Assyrian Turlock church

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 11
Views: 694
Last post July 09, 2009, 01:47:34 PM
by ~..Parkhaneeta..~
St. Hurmizd Assyrian Primary School of the Assyrian Church of the East

Started by RateAssyriansBoard Culture & History

Replies: 22
Views: 5097
Last post March 02, 2006, 06:13:37 AM