Author Topic: Assyrian Cultural Club in Baghdad raided by Iraqi police  (Read 7430 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Assyrian Cultural Club in Baghdad raided by Iraqi police
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
BAGHDAD — Eight men carrying handguns and steel pipes raided a Christian nongovernmental organization here on Thursday night, grabbing computers, cellphones and documents, and threatening the people inside, according to members of the group.

“They came in and said, ‘You are criminals. This is not your country. Leave immediately,’ ” said Sharif Aso, a board member of the organization, the Ashurbanipal Cultural Association. “They said, ‘This is an Islamic state.’ ”

The intruders wore civilian clothes, said Mr. Aso and others at the organization, but their arrival was preceded by three police vehicles that blocked off the street. He said the men stole his ring and bashed him on the leg with a pistol.

Ashurbanipal, named for an Assyrian king, primarily publishes writings in the Assyrian language, but it also runs a private club that serves alcohol, which appeared to be the reason for Thursday’s raid. The intruders smashed liquor bottles and a glass refrigerator case before throwing a gas canister through the window of a car belonging to a member of the group.

The episode is the latest in a recent flurry of attacks on those who sell alcohol in Baghdad. On Wednesday, two shop owners said they were raided in similar fashion, also by men dressed as civilians working with the police. The crackdown has stirred fears among some here of an accelerated movement toward strict Islamic law, especially since the return to Iraq of Moktada al-Sadr, the fiery anti-American cleric, a week ago.

In November, Baghdad’s provincial government invoked a 1996 Saddam Hussein-era resolution to ban the sale of alcohol, using it to close bars and nightclubs even though the resolution has not been ratified by Parliament.

A police major said the men who raided the club were employees of the provincial government. But the leader of the provincial government said they were police officers in civilian clothes.

“We are a Muslim country, and everyone must respect that,” said Kamil al-Zaidi, the chairman of the Baghdad Provincial Council.

Because nearly all alcohol sellers in Iraq are Christians, the campaign against alcohol overlaps eerily with recent attacks on Christians, including an attack at a church in October that left nearly 60 people dead. Alcohol, some say, is just an excuse.

“If a Christian sells flowers, they kill him,” said Ameen Chamo, who said a raid on his store on Wednesday inflicted $70,000 in damages. “If he sells a goose, they kill him. It makes no difference.”

Others at Ashurbanipal disputed this, saying that they were raided because they sold alcohol. All said that after this raid, they were eager to leave the country.

Already, Mr. Aso said, most members of the organization have left Iraq out of fear for their safety. Thousands of Christian families have left or sought refuge in the semiautonomous Kurdistan region in the north since the deadly October siege on Our Lady of Salvation, a Syrian Catholic church in Baghdad. The Islamic State of Iraq, an extremist group affiliated with Al Qaeda in Iraq, claimed responsibility for the siege.

More than half of Iraq’s Christians have left since the American-led invasion in 2003, when there were believed to be 800,000 to 1.4 million Christians in the country.

“We will leave,” said Mr. Chamo, who said that his shop had stopped selling alcohol since Nov. 25, when he received a letter from the Baghdad Provincial Council ordering him to do so. “The Americans are not protecting us.”

He added, “We want the Americans to tell Maliki to stop this,” referring to the prime minister, Nuri Kamal al-Maliki.

Badal Ilyas, a store owner who said his shop was raided and destroyed on Wednesday, was adamant about staying. “This is my country,” he said. “I was bringing democracy to Baghdad.”

But he said the raids had been a frightening reminder of the recent past, when Islamist militias terrorized anyone diverging from strict Islamic law.

“Before, the government fought the militias,” Mr. Ilyas said. “Now, they’re operating with the cooperation of the government.”

Khalid D. Ali contributed reporting.

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: Assyrian Cultural Club in Baghdad raided by Iraqi police
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »
Holy man! I am speechless, not sure what to say.

Too bad Younadam Kanna is not in the country. In fact, I would cut my trip short if I was him and come back to demand a full investigation as to what happened and why. How can such a thing even happen? I wouldn't be as mad even if it was the terrorists killing people, because that is what they do anyway. But stat police doing this? You gotta be kidding me. And to do it and make it so obvious?

Since these rats don't speak for all Iraqis, nor do they speak for the Iraqi government, they should all be fired and come down hard on them. You just can't get away with something like this, at least not when everyone in Iraq is talking about "protecting the Christians"

It is like, where did these idiots come from, don't they know what Assyrians have been going through lately, they now do this? Wow.......

If the PM doesn't do anything about this, since we already know who is behind it, then this government is worse than the terrorists themselves.

Ashoor

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline AlexSuryoyo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:22:30 AM »
The government is directy involved in all this attacks, believe me

Why the police officers left their positions before the attack against the cathedral and now this 3 vehicules??

I don't know if all the government is invoved or if it's maliki or other officials but what I surely know is that this terrorists and agressors are not alone...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:25:55 AM by AlexSuryoyo »
I am Aramean

I am Assyrian

I am Chaldean

I am Mesopotamian

I AM BETH NAHRIN !!!!

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:22:30 AM »

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:52:17 AM »
Holy man! I am speechless, not sure what to say.

Too bad Younadam Kanna is not in the country. In fact, I would cut my trip short if I was him and come back to demand a full investigation as to what happened and why. How can such a thing even happen? I wouldn't be as mad even if it was the terrorists killing people, because that is what they do anyway. But stat police doing this? You gotta be kidding me. And to do it and make it so obvious?

Since these rats don't speak for all Iraqis, nor do they speak for the Iraqi government, they should all be fired and come down hard on them. You just can't get away with something like this, at least not when everyone in Iraq is talking about "protecting the Christians"

It is like, where did these idiots come from, don't they know what Assyrians have been going through lately, they now do this? Wow.......

If the PM doesn't do anything about this, since we already know who is behind it, then this government is worse than the terrorists themselves.

Ashoor

People with a normal developed mind would never say sentences like this, but the slave mentality of our poor people makes it apparently possible. You have my compassion.

Btw, I need the source. Please post it here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:02:30 AM by Zawoyo »
The Rights of Assyrians -UN Declaration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDtB12aA8I

The existence of the Assyrian Nation & Nationality is a fact
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline Hanuni

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:14:13 AM »
Screw Iraq and the artifical state of Iraq. It is run by corrupt Arabs and Kurds with no aim of aiding our people in need.
“Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood.”

-Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Tambur

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
I wonder where those funny individuals who wanted to work with the Iraqi central government are, and once again, Assyrians are eating **** by the hands of the "Muslim" Arabs, if this does not make you want to crap on this religion and this government, I don't know what will, screw Iraq, it's not our country and I hope every Assyrian abandons that ****-hole.

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »
You are wront, Tambur. It IS our country (most part of it) but it isn´t in our hands.

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline Tambur

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
You are wront, Tambur. It IS our country (most part of it) but it isn´t in our hands.

The day we're treated properly by Iraqis is the day we should consider it our country, if you're talking about the land, I understand, but Assyrians need to stop waiving that "Allahu Akbar" flag like it's theirs, it's not, and it's been proven over and over again that we cannot live with Arab Muslims.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:19:24 PM by Tambur »

Offline Assyrian_Man

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
The day we're treated properly by Iraqis is the day we should consider it our country, if you're talking about the land, I understand, but Assyrians need to stop waiving that "Allahu Akbar" flag like it's theirs, it's not, and it's been proven over and over again that we cannot live with Arab Muslims.

I agree completely, that is why I don't cheer for Iraq. I couldn't care less about them winning Asia cup (or maybe, but that's just to piss off my Iranian friends).

Offline Barwarneta

• Special Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
“We are a Muslim country, and everyone must respect that,” said Kamil al-Zaidi, the chairman of the Baghdad Provincial Council

and what I have to say to that is Go And F**k ur self :) ok lame a$$ kalba

its so funny how he's saying its a muslim country and yet if he lived here or anywere in the west he would be out partying at nightclubs and strip clubs and drinking...just doing things that "a muslim" wouldnt be or shouldnt be doing.

no matter what degree they have they will always be khmaree no matter what.

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
“We are a Muslim country, and everyone must respect that,” said Kamil al-Zaidi, the chairman of the Baghdad Provincial Council

and what I have to say to that is Go And F**k ur self :) ok lame a$$ kalba

its so funny how he's saying its a muslim country and yet if he lived here or anywere in the west he would be out partying at nightclubs and strip clubs and drinking...just doing things that "a muslim" wouldnt be or shouldnt be doing.

no matter what degree they have they will always be khmaree no matter what.

Exactly.  That's why I said that they need help and can't protect themselves in the other post.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline GreenTea

• God made me GAY! <3
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »
Iraq got no liberty, truly sad.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »
There are some good news.

After much pressure from so many sides (especially Iraqi journalists and the media in general), the city of Baghdad council has agreed to form an investigative committee to look into this incident and what happened. The committee will present its conclusions within three days.

I am so glad enough Iraqis (not just Assyrians and Christians) have loudly protested against this unprovoked assault on this Assyrian center. And I really really hope they come down on everyone who was part of this raid, really hard.

If the government wants to impose the rule or law, things like this can't and shouldn't go unpunished. The idiots will not go after the real terrorists and instead go after the innocent and loyal Christians.

The member of the council who will head the investigation said that the excuse of raiding this club for having alchohol is unfounded because 'non Muslims are permitted to sell and consume alchohol'

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »
What is funny, the sheikh who was partially behind this raid, said he wasn't aware of it and doesn't even know where this place is lol.

This is the guy who was on the phone with the police and the security forces, and was quoted as saying "you guys have to close this place once and for all: either me or this place"

What an idiot. Iraq has this issue of trust, you just can't find too many professionals to deal with. The few good ones, don't make it too far.

ASHOOR

Offline GreenTea

• God made me GAY! <3
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
^ That is where violence comes from, the trusting problems... and pretty much everywhere. Dose anybody realize that?

Offline Nina

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »
You want Younadam Kanna to do something about this ? Well sorry but dream on ...

You are expecting Younadam Kanna to do something ? The same man who said that the Assyrians who were leaving in the thousands to Syria were going there for vacation ?

OR You want Kanna who said that he had all the documents on those who were attacking the Assyrians (all denominations) in his brief case then denied it 15 minutes later and said the assailants are not known but definitely they are not the kurds !!!

OR You want Kanna to say that the attacks are not targetting the "Christians" (because he does not know any more the word Assyrian) but it is a blow to the efforts of the Iraqi government and democracy !!! 

Had Younadam Kanna wanted to do something he would have started long time ago and not have a false explanation and an excuse to liberate the Assyrians' killers no matter whether kurds, arabs or others from the Assyrian blood by being a hypocrite and a sucking up so-called politician.
ASSYRIA not a mere name but a state of mind,existence,history and identity

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
You want Younadam Kanna to do something about this ? Well sorry but dream on ...

You are expecting Younadam Kanna to do something ? The same man who said that the Assyrians who were leaving in the thousands to Syria were going there for vacation ?

OR You want Kanna who said that he had all the documents on those who were attacking the Assyrians (all denominations) in his brief case then denied it 15 minutes later and said the assailants are not known but definitely they are not the kurds !!!

OR You want Kanna to say that the attacks are not targetting the "Christians" (because he does not know any more the word Assyrian) but it is a blow to the efforts of the Iraqi government and democracy !!!  

Had Younadam Kanna wanted to do something he would have started long time ago and not have a false explanation and an excuse to liberate the Assyrians' killers no matter whether kurds, arabs or others from the Assyrian blood by being a hypocrite and a sucking up so-called politician.

WOW Nina, with all due respect, you are great at manipulating quotes. And it shouldn't be that hard, because Mr.Kanna talks, and is quoted by literally hundreds of different websites, magazines, TV, radio stations, newspapers; some of which have their own anti-Kanna and anti-Zowaa agendas, so they do their own quote manipulations. So as you can see, it is not difficult to get snippets here and there and turn it into the post you just made.

Not saying he is perfect and doesn't make contradictory statements (show me which politician of human being doesn't?) but let us take it easy on the man and focus on the main issue. I know I am the one who mentioned his name in this post, but the issue is not him, it is something else.

And yes, I do believe that Y.Kanna has done a lot to bring attention to the attacks against our people, well before the attack on the church. But sometimes we have a bias in what we see and read, lela?

What you just typed above sounds like things that get repeated Paltalk on an hourly basis, as if there is nothing else to talk about.

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:13:29 PM by ASHOOR »

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
Ignore the "hit and run" posters ASHOOR.  You should know this by now.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline Barwarneta

• Special Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 01:28:01 AM »
Ignore the "hit and run" posters ASHOOR.  You should know this by now.
i second that

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
By the way the Iraqi minister if information has come out and offered a sincere and real apology for this stupid raid. He pretty much acknowledged that there was no reason whatsoever for it.

Ashoor

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 12:20:51 AM »
Is the club back to normal now?
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 06:25:33 AM »
By the way the Iraqi minister if information has come out and offered a sincere and real apology for this stupid raid. He pretty much acknowledged that there was no reason whatsoever for it.

Ashoor

Btw, if this topic would be discussed in an forum where mainly Assyrians from Turkey, Syria and Iran are, nobody would even thenink about writing anything what defends the Iraqi state/officials, because there is no excuse for what happened and what´s happening with our ppl there.

And btw, nobody needs to anser me something like "oohhh don´t say something against us "Iraqis", you hate us, blablabla..."
This is not against you , you don´t need to think that criticism would always be against something/body, so you don´t need to react hysterical.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:28:12 AM by Zawoyo »

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »

Ashoor

WE all know talk is cheap!

Offline Tambur

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 09:05:25 AM »
And btw, nobody needs to anser me something like "oohhh don´t say something against us "Iraqis", you hate us, blablabla..."

This is the thing that kills me the most, we're on an Assyrian forum, Assyrians should always come first no matter what country they're from, yet you still have some disgraceful individuals fighting with other Assyrians because they prefer to be "Iraqi".

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »
Rumtaya, talk is cheap, but you are forgetting something: he is aknowledging their mistake publicly which means a lot. This exposes their mistakes and bad work as a police and security forces.

I am not sure if the activity is back to normal at the club, but as part of the confession by the information minister, the ministry has also agreed to fully restore the place and pay for every damage.

That is the least they can do.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »
Tambur and Zawoyo: nobody in their right mind would defend filth and scumbags like these. Iraqi or anything else. I myself do aknowledge the connection between Assyrians and the land they are originally on (called Iraq at this point) but I would never ever blindly defend any Iraqi. Just look in this thread and you will see my frustration and disgust at these Iraqi officials.

It is a simple concept for me: we live amongst them, so we have to deal with them and do our best to get along. BUT, if they screw us up (whether it is the Iraqi police, army, government, average citizens) then screw them and to hell with them. There you have it, I said it.

We are from the land, and if the people of the land don't want us, we don't flee the land, because it is our land, regardless of what is called.

ASHOOR

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
Rumtaya, talk is cheap, but you are forgetting something: he is aknowledging their mistake publicly which means a lot. This exposes their mistakes and bad work as a police and security forces.

Not so much like you think. There is a connection between policy and safety, and it is very obviously that the policy puts more weight on their own causes (be it sunni, shia or kurdish) than on the one of others. The only reason whay they make sometimes a little bit for our safety is due to political pressure from outside, mostly caused by diaspora-Assyrians.
There have often been talkingy by Iraqi officials where they acknowledge their mistakes, but where are the results, where are the serious actions?

I am not sure if the activity is back to normal at the club, but as part of the confession by the information minister, the ministry has also agreed to fully restore the place and pay for every damage.

That is the least they can do.

ASHOOR

The problem here is not the club, it´s the messege which became already send to our community in Iraq and worldwide. And a fully restore on the governments costs will not bring this message back.

... I myself do aknowledge the connection between Assyrians and the land they are originally on (called Iraq at this point) but I would never ever blindly defend any Iraqi. Just look in this thread and you will see my frustration and disgust at these Iraqi officials.

Hell, NO, Iraq was never our land! Iraq became found on our blood, the first actions of the Iraqi army were the persecutions and killings of our people.
And that we have political represantives in the Iraqi parliament is not because Iraqis are "so good" to us, again: if there wouln´t be political pressure from outside, caused by diaspora-Assyrians, there would never be a ZOWAA Movement in this parliament.
Like FA already said, we are even not acknowledged as indigenous people of this land, even Indians in America or Aboriginies in Australia have more rights in their land like we in our land.
Call it Beth Nahrin or call it Assyria, both is right, but don´t say that Iraq is ours, because there is a HUGE difference!

It is a simple concept for me: we live amongst them, so we have to deal with them and do our best to get along.

Yes, to me too, they live amongst us, so they have to deal with us and do their best to get along.

BUT, if they screw us up (whether it is the Iraqi police, army, government, average citizens) then screw them and to hell with them. There you have it, I said it.

What does they do with us until today?

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 06:27:19 AM »
You know what Iraq is to Assyrian? A house given out for a rent, but having always the current owner in the back who can throw us out at anytime.

Meaning, although we all know that we own the place, we do not posses this right. No we do have to PAY to be allowed living there, but we do not enjoy the freedom to posses it. We are Guests that are only welcomed when benefiting from them, but if we dare to ask for the change of a status, we will be KICKED out.

Just like you will be kicked out of a rented house when not being able to pay for it or to ask for a lower rent.

Momentous Occasion @ Assyrian Sports & Cultural Club

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 1
Views: 972
Last post August 11, 2006, 10:27:50 PM
by sydneydude
Iraqi police: 2 gay men killed in Baghdad slum

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 6
Views: 1244
Last post April 07, 2009, 01:22:34 PM
by ASHOOR