Author Topic: If we get a Province in Iraq, what should it be Called?  (Read 9007 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
If we get a Province in Iraq, what should it be Called?
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »
As we have been reading and discussing, the issue of an Assyrian Christian province in Iraq is intensifying. Whether it will be a reality soon or not, we can't deny that the issue has become more urgent and serious than ever before. All thanks to the 'Baghdad Church Massacre'

The question is, if we get such an 'administrative area' or even our own province, what should it be called?

As I mentioned in another post, it is ridiculous to keep referring to it as a 'Christian Province.' Sure that is what some media outlets are referring to it and we are simply quoting them, but it is simply wrong to keep using this term. For example, if it is a "Christian Province", does that mean Christian Kurds can live in it? what about Christians from other parts of Iraq who are not Assyrian-speaking? Is this some sort of a holy land where any Christians can belong to in Iraq?

Some people don't mind this reference, simply so as not to refer to it as being an 'Assyrian' or even "AssyroChaldo" area. In other words, they would rather give it a religious name than to be under an 'Assyrian' name. Others may argue that names don't matter as long as it unites people. Problem is, it may unite our enemies against us more than it will unite us.  And even if it is going to be given a Christian name, what could this name possibly be? will it be a Biblical name of a person or a city? how about a compromise where we have an Assyrian name from the bible? Even Edessa or Urhai?

And of course, I won't even go into the political, historical and cultural implications of giving an area where our people live, a Christian, rather than an Assyrian name. It is simply an undoing of thousands of a great Assyrian history and identity. The people in Iraq may have a different approach and way of looking at this, and think of this as a small step towards a greater future for our independence and existence in the future. At which point I will agree that it may be OK, but still...

Remember, on the other hand, giving it an Assyrian name especially from history is a pride for other Iraqis too even if they are not Assyrian. That is because giving it an Assyrian name will be seen as being part of Iraq's history and heritage.  The Assyrian empire was built and based in current day Iraq and all Iraqis are very proud of this and the other empires that were born in modern day Iraq.

Ok what about an Assyrian name? what can we call it that the majority will agree on? let us face it, no name will be agreed upon by everyone. But as long as the majority are OK with it, we will go with it. The name of such a region or province should have a lot of things figured into it: historical significance, unifying, geographically relative etc. As such, I think the following would make a lot of sense:

-"Nineveh Plains" : this one makes the most sense as it complies with the criteria I outlined above and it is already in use.
-"Bet-Nahrain province" : another one that will not hard to get people's approval.
-"Chaldo-Ashur" : as unifying as it gets.
-New Ashur Province: محافضة اشور الحديثة

I am sorry, and as you may have noticed, I will not make use of the word 'Babylon'. With all due respect to this beautiful and historical word, it is just not geographically applicable. Last time I checked, Babylon province is south of Baghdad and no Assyrian or Christian live there.

Give us yours? would you be OK with something that is "Christian"?

Just wanted to make something clear: I am an Assyrian and Christian at the same time, and I am proud of both. But that has nothing to do with what this province should be called. It will be a province that will protect and preserve our culture and identity and not just religion. To protect our religion and be free to worship, we can simply migrate to the West. But we know it is much more than that.

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:11:36 PM by ASHOOR »

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline AlexSuryoyo

Re: If we get a Province in Iraq, what should it be Called?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »
For me Beth-Nahrain province is the best choice, Nineveh plains is a little too plains and a Nineveh province already exists so it's not a good choice...

Moreover Beth-Nahrain corresponds to the area and it can unite all the Chaldeans, Assyrians, Arameans, Mandeans and others and it's in aramaic so it's an assyrian (aramean/chaldean name whatever your affinity) so it's the best choice for our culture, history and inheritance  :wavetowel:
I am Aramean

I am Assyrian

I am Chaldean

I am Mesopotamian

I AM BETH NAHRIN !!!!

Offline jonadona

• Golden Member
  • The town is back that way!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »
Deathville...  

You know Jews thought they were being sent to a save haven on those trains back in the early 1940's.
turbulence is a fluid regime characterized by chaotic, stochastic property changes.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »
Deathville...  

You know Jews thought they were being sent to a save haven on those trains back in the early 1940's.

Hence why I am arguing for a more cultural and historical name that not just Assyrians but even Iraqis will not have a problem with. I mean, we already have two provinces that have names from our ancient civilizations "Nineveh" and "Babylon", so it is not like anyone would be against a province or region that has a historical Assyrian reference as its name.

On the other hand, having a new Vatican in Muslim Iraq, is not the wisest decision we can come up with!

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:18:58 PM by ASHOOR »

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:15:20 PM »
For me Beth-Nahrain province is the best choice, Nineveh plains is a little too plains and a Nineveh province already exists so it's not a good choice...

Moreover Beth-Nahrain corresponds to the area and it can unite all the Chaldeans, Assyrians, Arameans, Mandeans and others and it's in aramaic so it's an assyrian (aramean/chaldean name whatever your affinity) so it's the best choice for our culture, history and inheritance  :wavetowel:

Good choice and I somewhat agree with you about "Nineveh" as it already exists. But I think adding the word "Plains" after it or "New" before it would distinguish it from the other "Nineveh" province.

ASHOOR

Offline Senalco

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
You can't go wrong with " The Sargis Aghaghan " Province  :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »
You can't go wrong with " The Sargis Aghaghan " Province  :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

HAHA. "Younadam Kanna Province" sounds better! :P

ASHOOR

Offline Senalco

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »
HAHA. "Younadam Kanna Province" sounds better! :P

ASHOOR

well whoever it is, its gota be a person's name since we Assyrians are obsessed with worshipping Men  :ranting:

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
well whoever it is, its gota be a person's name since we Assyrians are obsessed with worshipping Men  :ranting:

Oh that is what you meant! Then I have a few more additions "Mar Dinkha Province" , "Mar Dally Province" etc. (with all due respect)

:P

ASHOOR

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:09 PM »
Assyria  :clap:
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline AlexSuryoyo

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
Good choice and I somewhat agree with you about "Nineveh" as it already exists. But I think adding the word "Plains" after it or "New" before it would distinguish it from the other "Nineveh" province.

ASHOOR

No no adding plains is not a good choice from my point of view because all the people (particularly in the west) will confound the two

And with plains, people will think that the plains are a sub territory of the nineveh province.

We have already this kind of problems with our names, assyrian, aramean and syriac are very close to syrian and armenian and all the people think that we are syrians-arabs or armenians ...

So for me nineveh is the worst choice  :beee:
I am Aramean

I am Assyrian

I am Chaldean

I am Mesopotamian

I AM BETH NAHRIN !!!!

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 10:28:17 PM »
Assyria  :clap:

BY the way, "Assyria" translates to "ASHUR" in Arabic, which also happens to be the name of our king (and my name of course lol)

That would be the best name, but a lot of people wouldn't agree with it unfortunately. Although, if you were to hold a referendum in the region, most people would be OK with this name.

ASHOOR

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
No no adding plains is not a good choice from my point of view because all the people (particularly in the west) will confound the two

And with plains, people will think that the plains are a sub territory of the nineveh province.

We have already this kind of problems with our names, assyrian, aramean and syriac are very close to syrian and armenian and all the people think that we are syrians-arabs or armenians ...

So for me nineveh is the worst choice  :beee:

what about Aram-Nahrain?

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:50 PM »
what about Aram-Nahrain?

I have a better one: "Ashur-Chaldo-Aram-Syriani"

Sorry for the headache! lol jk.....

ASHOOR

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »
lol didnt we do this name thing a few years ago it ended up being like 20 slash names.
Oh God help us we are all doomed.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 10:38:50 PM »
lol didnt we do this name thing a few years ago it ended up being like 20 slash names.
Oh God help us we are all doomed.

That is inevitable unfortunately, but I have trust that our politicians and decision makers use some logic in doing this.

Again, even if we do away with everything else, let us at least use some geography in deciding this. This would leave us with such names as "Ashur" , "Nineveh Plains" , "Bet Nahrain" etc.

If this area or region was located south of Baghdad for example, where the Babylonian empire was located, then it would be very easy: we would simply call it something like "New Babylon"

But this is at the core of where the Assyrian empire was and where Assyrians have continued to live since the fall of the empire. 

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
Plus, if some people are so attracted to a Christian name, let them look at the bible and see all the prophecies and references to Assyria and its men rising one day. Let them have some Christian pride and help fulfill that prophecy :)

ASHOOR

Offline AlexSuryoyo

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
what about Aram-Nahrain?

:clap: why not??? :clap:

No seriously, Beth Nahrain province is the best choice, the most common name for our land. I think all Assyrians, Chaldeans and Arameans use this name, even Arameans use Beth Nahrain (and not Aram Nahrain  :loool:)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:43:08 PM by AlexSuryoyo »
I am Aramean

I am Assyrian

I am Chaldean

I am Mesopotamian

I AM BETH NAHRIN !!!!

Offline Senalco

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:59 PM »
I got it.....

We shall call it " Ashurstan "

Offline dok101

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 11:14:23 PM »
If it is an autonomous region, I suggest, the Tigris-Euphrates Valley Autonomous Region (TEVAR).  Assuming it is a reasonable description of the hypothetically apportioned land.  Or North Tigris-Euphrates Valley Autonomous Region (NTEVAR)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:19:18 PM by dok101 »

Offline MalekthaA2RETA

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 11:48:01 PM »
Only 1 Name:  Assyria

History is history
Facts are facts
We are all branches of the SAME TREE
Deal....
Stop changing to please
it is what it is
there is no pleasing
they will fight anyway
that is the reason they are where they are today
(they were fighting over flags and names of a piece of land that they didn't have all of this time instead of standing united and look at the result, more innocent lives lost. nasha, i'm so sick of this, since i was a kid, since my parents were kids, since the beginning of time......)
too much in fighting
not united
nobody to blame but themselves
So if not enough blood has been shed
and  if lessons have not been learned by now (the 21st century)
they never will be
ASSYRIA
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:50:50 PM by MalekthaA2RETA »

Offline jacob

• Special Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »
Greater Israel

Hahahaha!

Offline AlexSuryoyo

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:49 PM »
Yes but if you try to find a compromise, maybe Assyria is not the best choice :(
I am Aramean

I am Assyrian

I am Chaldean

I am Mesopotamian

I AM BETH NAHRIN !!!!

Offline dok101

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 01:03:16 AM »
Yes but if you try to find a compromise, maybe Assyria is not the best choice :(

We can call our region whatever we like.  Heck, it will likely be referred to as Assyria regardless of what it is designated officially.  For example, Taiwan is not the internationally recognized nomenclature of what people refer to as Taiwan.  It is Republic of China (Chinese Taipei).  But, yes, Assyria is not the best choice for formal, and immediate recognition.  That is why I believe an official name based on geography (but with some association to our Assyrian origin) is the best bet. 

Offline chaldean

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 01:55:33 AM »

Awww does the word Assyria hurt Alex's feelings? :(

Anyways, you ask that questions as if we have a choice. Its ''Sahl Nainawa'' now and will be that if it ever does become a reality.
Assyria would be great, but you have only one small village in the entire region that its people proudly call themselves Assyrian (Sharafiya.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:56:18 AM by chaldean »
I Love Assyria

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 02:41:11 AM »
Its should have another then than Assyria, because its just a part of Assyria. So do not forget about the other areas of Assyria like Tur Abdin, Khabour and yeah Urmia, although that one is a pretty lost cause (sorry Free_Assyria).

I think the name would be probably just what it is known at the moment with "Nineveh Plains". In Germany you have Provinces that have the same word but another additionaly, like Sachsen-Anhalt and then you have Sachsen and even Niedersachsen.

Offline Hanuni

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 03:58:07 AM »
Beth-Nahrin province :)
“Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood.”

-Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Y. Mackay

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 06:18:13 AM »
ASSYRIA-ASUR-ASURISTAN
--------------------------
International it is what it is:     ASSYRIA
In some languages it could be: ASURISTAN
In our language it is:              ASUR

Fact is; the province is in the heartland of Assyria and it is for the Assyrians----------------------------------ASSYRIA
Fact is; some languages like turkish or persian prefer the name Asuristan rather then the English name Assyria--ASURISTAN
Fact is; the people for whom the area/province is are calling themselves Suraye/Suroye from the word Asur----ASUR

ASSYRIA/ASSYRIA/ASSYRIA

CNN/BREAKING NEWS; After 2,6 millenia's of non-existing ASSYRIA is on the worldmap again.
The Assyrians are celebrating worldwide their Independence......

Offline GreenTea

• God made me GAY! <3
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »
Bet-Nahrain province then you know Assyrian/Chaldean/Syriac would stick to one name as Nahrainian.

Solved the problems  now  :wavetowel:

Offline GGBW

• Special Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
Assyria#1BestTime!  :)

Offline AlexSuryoyo

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
Awww does the word Assyria hurt Alex's feelings? :(

Anyways, you ask that questions as if we have a choice. Its ''Sahl Nainawa'' now and will be that if it ever does become a reality.
Assyria would be great, but you have only one small village in the entire region that its people proudly call themselves Assyrian (Sharafiya.)

Haha no problem with Assyria, Assyria sounds very good but if we are only a part of the people who live in this province (with the other minorities), it will be difficult to impose Assyria on the others but if we have the choice, Assyria will be very good (Beth Nahrain too) but I don't like the nineveh plains :)

Bet-Nahrain province then you know Assyrian/Chaldean/Syriac would stick to one name as Nahrainian.

Solved the problems  now  :wavetowel:

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:59:13 AM by AlexSuryoyo »
I am Aramean

I am Assyrian

I am Chaldean

I am Mesopotamian

I AM BETH NAHRIN !!!!

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
Let's get it first and not count our chickens before they're hatched.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline Hanuni

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »

Amen.
“Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood.”

-Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »

Oh that is case for sure. But I had to open this topic just out of frustration at all those calling it "Christian Province"

I don't care if this happens after 1 year, 100 years or never, I just can't stand those who are not thinking before proposing "Christian Province." Might as well call it "Iraqi Vatican" or "Vatican of the East", yes that would really please other Iraqis :)

ASHOOR

Offline AssyrianDrummer

• Mid-Level Member
    • My facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
Assyria I think has to be it!

Since everyone says which part of Assyria are you from?  :shades:
Sonor drums Artist

Someone Called me from Iraq, Early Morning, to Report a Chat Issue!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 19
Views: 847
Last post May 12, 2007, 03:34:22 AM
by BeLLaMaFIa
New province called "Shooltana" in kurdistan? Can someone explain

Started by Danny12344Board Chit Chat

Replies: 0
Views: 218
Last post July 12, 2009, 12:25:18 AM
by Danny12344
Kurds in Iraq (Nineveh) province threaten to split it in two

Started by chaldeanBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 2
Views: 891
Last post September 06, 2009, 04:32:43 AM
by Aga
BOYCOTT THE SO-CALLED "NINEVEH PLAIN" PROVINCE CONSPIRACY.

Started by A.GBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 25
Views: 3101
Last post May 17, 2011, 02:23:37 AM
by Nohra St
How long will it take for Assyrians to have their own province in Iraq?

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 2
Views: 394
Last post September 23, 2011, 06:02:21 PM
by khayaatour