Author Topic: Judge Sentences Killer in Murder Case That Divided Assyrian Community  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Concerned Assyrian

• Mid-Level Member
Judge Sentences Killer in Murder Case That Divided Assyrian Community

Phoenix, Arizona -- Many people in a crowded courtroom wept uncontrollably Friday for a 29-year-old Gilbert man and his killer, two men who had been friends since childhood and were members of the Valley's tight-knit Assyrian community.

Ramsen Dadesho, 33, was sentenced to 22 years of prison, credited with 459 days served, on one count of second-degree murder in Maricopa County Superior Court by Judge Christopher Whitten for the 2009 shooting death of Rami Merza, 29, of Gilbert, after a four-hour emotional proceeding for both families.

Whitten handed down the sentence moments after Merza's and Dadesho's family members spoke before the judge about what the men meant to their families including all six of Merza's siblings (five sisters and one brother), how the tragedy has destroyed both families and divided their ethnic community.

Scottsdale police arrested Dadesho after a brief foot chase about midnight on March 22, 2009, moments after a worker servicing a restaurant on the northwest corner of Raintree Drive and Loop 101 heard gunshots and told police he saw Dadesho walking away from the car. A .44 Magnum was found in a bush about 20 yards from where Merza was shot inside his car as he apparently attempted to exit it.

Dadesho had told police at the time of his arrest that he was in the parking lot that night to make a deal on 50 pounds of marijuana. But for reasons unknown, according to prosecutors, he shot Merza three times - once in the back, once in the neck, and a third time in the head. Merza was alive for about the first four minutes after he was shot the first time, according to authorities.

Dadesho's defense attorney, Barry Mitchell said that dangerous drugs were in both men's systems. Police had discovered a small amount of marijuana in Merza's front pocket.

Whitten cited mitigating factors for the sentence: Dadesho tried to hide the gun after shooting Merza, the murder was a product of impairment (due to the drugs in Dadesho's system), Dadesho was not truthful after his arrest, Dadesho used more violence than necessary to kill a person, and the killing caused great emotional harm to the victim's family.

Dadesho, who entered into a plea agreement to second-degree murder in May, broke down and cried as family members pleaded for leniency.

Dadesho was the last to speak before the judge.

"I wished it were me instead of him," Dadesho said. "I'm sorry. I'm ready to take full responsibility for what I've done. I took a life and destroyed many lives."

Both Merza and Dadesho had known each other since childhood, and both families knew each other.

"It is very hard to understand," said the Rev. Shlioumn Koshoba of the Assyrian Church of the East in Phoenix. "This has divided the community."

Merza's mother, Nonia Merza, who had immigrated to the large Assyrian community of Modesto, Calif. with her seven children from Syria in 1985, cried as she spoke to the judge about her slain son who told her he was going to move back to Modesto three days before he was killed.

"We're a piece of each other," Merza said. "We have each other's hearts. Ramsen Dadesho took my spirit and my heart. What am I going to do?"

Merza, who was described by his sisters as the "heart and soul" and "baby" of the family, had moved to Arizona from Modesto in 2007 to better his life and worked in sales at the Honda Superstition Springs dealership, family members said. He later tried to help Dadesho get a job shortly before Dadesho moved to Arizona from Modesto, where both familes are from.

Earlier during the sentencing, all five of Merza's sisters and brother pleaded with the judge to give Dadesho the maximum sentence.

Dadesho had earlier been charged with first-degree murder, but because of Merza's mother's failing health and not wanting to put her through a trial, the Merza family supported the plea deal, family members said.

Merza lived with his older sister, Rita Suleiman, and her husband, Art, after he moved to Arizona. Suleiman said of her brother: "He had a heart of gold and a laugh that was infectious. If you needed money, he would take it away from himself and give it to you."

Art Suleiman said, "Rami was not a drug dealer. He was a great person. We chose him to be the godfather of our children."

Assyrians are a Middle Eastern Christian community without a territory, but many had immigrated to central California to become farmers because that is what they knew, Rita Suleiman said.

About 8,000 Assyrians live in the Valley, according to the Rev. Shlioumn.

"This has caused a separation in the community," Rita Suleiman said. "Assyrians are a very proud people who are very honorable, highly religious and educated. For an Assyrian to kill another one, that's inexcusable."

Defense attorney Mitchell would not comment after the hearing and would not say whether he plans to appeal the sentence.

Dadesho's father, William Dadesho, who testified earlier for his son, said of his son's sentence, "It wasn't fair. They portrayed my son as an evil man. I'm not condoning what he's done. He's a fine young man."

Merza's mother, said of the sentencing, "Ramsen is still alive. He can eat, sleep and his family can still see him. But what about my son? I can't see him no more, I can't speak to him no more. It's not fair."

By Mike Sakal
www.eastvalleytribune.com
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:16:36 PM by Concerned Assyrian »

Disunited, dispersed in exile, and as dwindling minorities without full civil rights in their homelands, the Assyrians of today are in grave danger of total assimilation and extinction. In order to survive as a nation, they must now unite under the Assyrian identity of their ancestors. It is the only identity that can help them to transcend the differences between them, speak with one voice again, catch the attention of the world, and regain their place among the nations. Dr Simo Parpola

Online mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Thou Shalt Not Murder, how hard is it not to understand that?

and the ending part where it said "...Assyrian killing another Assyrian is inexcusable..." that's true. Kurds are killing each other, let's NOT become them ok?

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
He got off way too easy.  And his father (as usual) is wrong. That boy is definitely evil.  Like father, like son. 

And I'm not sure what "separation" they are talking about?  Are there really people out there, aside from the killer's family, that think Rami deserved to be brutally murdered? Or that the justice system should go easy on the murderer because he's a dadesho?  I live in Modesto and there is no separation going on here at all, so I don't know what "division" they're referring to.  The dadesho clan should count their lucky stars that their boy didn't get the death penalty.  Or that the victim's family didn't go all Jilwayeh on them.
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Assyrian Voice Forum

Offline ASHUR

He got off way too easy.  And his father (as usual) is wrong. That boy is definitely evil.  Like father, like son. 

And I'm not sure what "separation" they are talking about?  Are there really people out there, aside from the killer's family, that think Rami deserved to be brutally murdered? Or that the justice system should go easy on the murderer because he's a dadesho?  I live in Modesto and there is no separation going on here at all, so I don't know what "division" they're referring to.  The dadesho clan should count their lucky stars that their boy didn't get the death penalty.  Or that the victim's family didn't go all Jilwayeh on them.

I think both families wanted closure to this case.  It's a very sad situation anyway you look at it, no matter whose family name is involved, both families suffered needlessly. 

Oh, and not that it matters, both families are jilwayeh.

It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
I think both families wanted closure to this case.  It's a very sad situation anyway you look at it, no matter whose family name is involved, both families suffered needlessly. 

Oh, and not that it matters, both families are jilwayeh.

Yeah, I know.  But there are jilwayeh, and then there are JILWAYEH.  The victim's family falls in the second category. I get wanting closure, but the killer will probably be a free man before he hits 50.  That must add insult to injury for the victim's family.
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."

Offline Ninveh

I can't beleive what the Assyrians have become, we were known to the world of our great acheivements in the past, in the present and future wil be known for the gangs and hoeeible things our people are doing.
I am appalled at this behaviour, and whta is it with the jilwaye community, not long ago a brother killed anothr in sydnry, is this how they show their manhood, if anything it only proves how idiotic they are.

Offline DonTELGA

• Don in Niagara Falls, Ontario
Who cares that they are Jilwiyeh! They are Assyrians just like the rest of us. Please stop putting labels on each of us. F_ _ k the village names. I am sick of hearing this crap.

Online mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
I can't beleive what the Assyrians have become, we were known to the world of our great acheivements in the past, in the present and future wil be known for the gangs and hoeeible things our people are doing.
I am appalled at this behaviour, and whta is it with the jilwaye community, not long ago a brother killed anothr in sydnry, is this how they show their manhood, if anything it only proves how idiotic they are.

Why don't they show their manhood by going to Iraq and killing any Kurd trying to kill Assyrians?

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed

Offline Barwarneta

• Special Member
Yeah, I know.  But there are jilwayeh, and then there are JILWAYEH.  The victim's family falls in the second category. I get wanting closure, but the killer will probably be a free man before he hits 50.  That must add insult to injury for the victim's family.

B are they from syria or iraq??

I know the ones from syria are knowen to kill thats how crazy they are. and im not making it up my hubby told me since he knew a guy who killed his cuzn over land.

Offline the_dave

• Simple living high thinking...
Re: Judge Sentences Killer in Murder Case That Divided Assyrian Community
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 03:19:54 PM »
Well aint that a biach
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:20:11 PM by the_dave »
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline Dalida

• Golden Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 03:42:59 PM »
How the hell did he get a 22 year sentence only? I thought murderers always end up with a life term (at the very least).

This is why I guess....

Dadesho had earlier been charged with first-degree murder, but because of Merza's mother's failing health and not wanting to put her through a trial, the Merza family supported the plea deal, family members said.

They didn't want to go to trail because of the mother being sick.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:27:11 PM by Dalida »
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
-Mother Teresa

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. -Phillip ****

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
Well, that was foolish decision on their part. If my child was viciously murdered by some no good junky, I would never enter any kind of agreements that could potentially lesson the severity of the sentence..especially if my foot was already in the grave.

I see your point, but I get where the victim's family was coming from as well.  I think she wanted to go to her grave knowing justice was served.  I know they're unhappy with the sentence, but at least this gives them a bit of closure.

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »
I see Assyrians thinking that way. Still, I would have opted for justice to be served to the maximum. It would have been a guarantee & that bastard would be rotting in jail regardless of how long the trial dragged for. 

Yeah, I don't think she had anything to worry about in regards to him getting off.  This is Arizona afterall and the guy is a swarthy junkie murderer.  Just that first adjective alone would have guaranteed him a conviction.  The killing was brutal:  apparently Rami survived the first gun shot to the back (for 4 grueling minutes.)  He was most likely choking on his own blood with the second shot to the neck, until the third one to the head finally killed him.  That boy suffered a very painful death.  The trail may have lasted a long time, but he probably would have received the death penalty for that.  Although there would have been appeals filed for sure if that were the case.  So maybe they were hoping to avoid all that and just get him behind bars as quickly as they could?  Yeah, it sucks that he'll be a middle-aged man when he gets out, but I bet he'll be spending a lot of time looking over his shoulder when that day comes.

Offline AssyrianBookTa

• Special Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
Isn't his gf one of the girls in the modesto girls videos? I bet she will wait for her "baby" till then.

R.I.P. Dr. Ronny George and Lina Yaakubova

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »
Isn't his gf one of the girls in the modesto girls videos? I bet she will wait for her "baby" till then.

LOL!  Yeah, she was the one doing all the talking.  Klassy lady, that one.  And I bet she didn't even wait till the end of opening remarks  :mrgreen:

Offline Ninveh

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 08:38:56 AM »
Why don't they show their manhood by going to Iraq and killing any Kurd trying to kill Assyrians?

Exactly.

Offline Ninveh

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »
Who cares that they are Jilwiyeh! They are Assyrians just like the rest of us. Please stop putting labels on each of us. F_ _ k the village names. I am sick of hearing this crap.
We are not using the name to mock them or meaning them any harm, we are questioning why is it that this particular tribe that can't control their temper and seem to solve all their problems with killing one another?
We are all Assyrians, but each Assyrian and human on this planet have their own ynique name so they can be known from one another, that doesn't mean that each is a different creature.:) So please don't take it personally:)

Online mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 08:49:34 AM »
We are not using the name to mock them or meaning them any harm, we are questioning why is it that this particular tribe that can't control their temper and seem to solve all their problems with killing one another?
We are all Assyrians, but each Assyrian and human on this planet have their own ynique name so they can be known from one another, that doesn't mean that each is a different creature.:) So please don't take it personally:)
Remember, Assyrians are like Native Americans, we each have different tribes, the men wear feathers on their heads, bask in their history, and cry when they see the foreigners in their homeland. xD

Offline Salem

• Special Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 09:21:08 AM »
but many had immigrated to central California to become farmers because that is what they knew

Is that what they call planting marijuana these days?

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »
Thou Shalt Not Murder, how hard is it not to understand that?

and the ending part where it said "...Assyrian killing another Assyrian is inexcusable..." that's true. Kurds are killing each other, let's NOT become them ok?

I think Kurds has passed from " killing each other" to helping each other and now our people are into such tragdys, you are aware of what happened in Södertälje last week, we lost a very good fotballs player who played for Assyriska. Both killers and victims were Assyrians...

Offline Jones

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »

Exactly. (Apart from the swearing...)

Oh I remember that video. The one where the girls all looked like transvestite hookers?
"In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria. The Assyrians will go to Egypt and the Egyptians to Assyria. The Egyptians and Assyrians will worship together. In that day shall Israel be the third with Egypt and with Assyria." Isaiah 19:23-24

"The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one greater than Jonah is here." Matthew 12:41

SMILE ASSYRIA; GOD LOVES YOU!!!

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »
in a nutshell can someone just tell me what happen here?
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
in a nutshell can someone just tell me what happen here?

Ramsen Dadesho (William Dadesho's son/Sargon Dadesho's nephew) murdered his "friend" Rami Merza.  He shot him three times; the first in the back, the second in the neck, and the final one (that finally killed him) to the back of the head.  No motive in the killing, his only defense was that he was high as a kite.  The victim's mother is not doing well health wise and their family was eager to have a quick trial so she could rest knowing that her son's killer would serve time.  So rather than pursue a long, drawn-out death penalty trial, they made a deal with the killer's defense team and settled for second-degree murder, which carries a far less sentence, in this case just 22 years (and he most likely won't serve all of that either.)

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 01:38:26 AM »
Ramsen Dadesho (William Dadesho's son/Sargon Dadesho's nephew) murdered his "friend" Rami Merza.  He shot him three times; the first in the back, the second in the neck, and the final one (that finally killed him) to the back of the head.  No motive in the killing, his only defense was that he was high as a kite.  The victim's mother is not doing well health wise and their family was eager to have a quick trial so she could rest knowing that her son's killer would serve time.  So rather than pursue a long, drawn-out death penalty trial, they made a deal with the killer's defense team and settled for second-degree murder, which carries a far less sentence, in this case just 22 years (and he most likely won't serve all of that either.)

thanks Baklawa nice sig btw.
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Assyrian Community Hiding a Killer in Australia?

Started by chaldeanBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 28
Views: 5266
Last post March 01, 2006, 05:08:19 AM
by Crocodile Bani
Spanish Parliamant Addresses the Issue of Assyrian Community in Iraq

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 1
Views: 772
Last post April 09, 2006, 08:37:07 PM
by MikesBike
A New Assyrian Community is born!

Started by SenharibBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 2
Views: 859
Last post July 18, 2006, 01:21:27 AM
by Free_Assyria
Pope Benedict awards Sarkis Aghajan for services to Assyrian community!!!

Started by A2raya07Board Culture & History

Replies: 7
Views: 1697
Last post September 10, 2006, 01:26:42 AM
by Doooshaaa
Assyrian Voice Community Involvement

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 3
Views: 423
Last post October 09, 2006, 01:11:05 AM
by atourina