Author Topic: Football resolves conflicts, but not for us (Assyriska vs Syrianska)  (Read 1855 times)

Offline the_dave

• Simple living high thinking...
I read this 2 days ago and i felt that i had to translate it for you guys, it is from the Assyrian Youth Association in sweden...

Today the world's biggest sports festival, the World Cup in South Africa will start. In 2 days the derby between Assyriska FF and Syrianska FC will also be played, for the fifth time. Football is used as a tool of resolving conflicts in many parts of the world. But at our derby games it is the opposite and football is usually misunderstood and misused to incite conflict among our youth. Let us break these negative trends and make our derby matches real festivals for our people where we all can have a good time and enjoy it, because in the long run we are all losers if we coach our children against each other. Writes journalist Kurt Augin in a chronicle of what football is really about.

Yesterday, I listened to an interesting story in the “StudioEtt” on Swedish Radio, which was aired directly from Durban, said to be the capital of football in South Africa. Much of it was about football and the role it has as a conflict solver, and how football stars like Didier Drogba mediated a lasting peace in his home country Ivory Coast, which suffered from a civil war. In some African countries, children are used by various militias, where they are brainwashed and trained to become real killing machines. When these children are taken care of, football is used as a tool to let former child soldiers identify themselves with a football team instead of their old militia. This is done by mixing children from different sides, into the same football team which then helps the community to reconciliation and brotherhood.

Within our own youth, football is also an important identification factor. The Assyrian supporters identify themselves strongly with their team AFF and Arameeans with their team Syrianska. These are quite natural feelings, as long as adults don’t poison the youth with bad attitude and filling them with hate towards the other side. To love and adore a team is one thing, but to really hate your opponents is a completely alien thought in both football and other sports, that is not the purpose of sport. There is a red line that you can not cross.

Unfortunately, this line has been crossed at some of the previous derby games held between the Assyriska FF and Syrianska FC. A few years ago the Arameean side instigated to a point where even the church bells rang, in the district Geneta, Södertälje, to celebrate Syrianska FC's victory against Assyriska FF, many of the supporters reacted strongly towards this, and thought that it had gone too far. It was just about two ordinary teams playing a football match. You can certainly rejoice the victory, by seeing young people driving around and waving their flags. But it went too far when the bishop himself held a burning speech that encouraged Arameeans to rival against the Assyrian side, and when the church bells rang.

In the last derby last fall, the mood became vicious again after the match, it ended with one of the Assyrian Association's building was set on fire, after the fans victory celebration that night. Whoever has done it is still not known and the building is still not rebuilt.

With this, I don’t want to say that one side is made up of angels and the other one of demons. There are certainly troublemakers with temperament within both sides. But it is obvious that it can go very far towards the wrong direction if the adults abuse the situation to create more conflict between our people and our youth. Let us all be vigilant and make the derby games a real festival where we can all have fun and share joy instead of creating more hate and splitting between our people.

Source: http://www.auf.nu/viewarticle.php?id=897
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:38:06 PM by the_dave »

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline the_dave

If you guys watched the game between Assyriska and Syrianska today, you might have noticed a large banner that was held by the Syrianska supporters, it said "612 bc - ??????", obviously mockery towards us they thought... but are they so stupid that they don’t even pay respect to what happened in the past to our people? I mean did they forget that it also happend to their "own" people?, since not only where the people of Nineveh killed but also all much of the population in the Assyrian empire, including “arameeans”.

They don’t know anything about their own history and their only goal in football is to beat Assyriska FF no matter what, they just copy everything we do and they mock us and build up hate against us… How can so many people be so stupid…

Another thing that happened last year after a game was that a guy got beaten up very bad by some Syrianska supporters at a bar. The guy was forced to take of his Assyriska FF shirt but he refused, this lead to the Assault…

I myself dont really like to support the derby games between our two teams because i know that it causes more trouble and splitting within us, but hence the situation, i just want Assyriska to win and kick their ass just to prove to them that we are right and they are wrong... I would have no problem working with them, but the problem is that they dont want to work with us and they don't want to know anything about Assyrians, they are just "arameeans" and nothing else...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:05:12 AM by the_dave »
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: Assyriska vs. Syrianska
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
Great post, thanks Dave.

You just gave me an idea for an banner:  "? - ?"

Do you get it? if think can only cite the year 612BC, thinking that we stopped existing after that, my message to them is two question marks. Meaning that I don't even know when they started and ended. At least to the ignorant ones that don't realize that they are Assyrian by soul and blood, even if they dent it.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

Offline the_dave

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »
Great post, thanks Dave.

Do you get it? if think can only cite the year 612BC, thinking that we stopped existing after that, my message to them is two question marks. Meaning that I don't even know when they started and ended. At least to the ignorant ones that don't realize that they are Assyrian by soul and blood, even if they dent it.

ASHOOR
ahahaha they are so funny man, especially when you talk sense to them, you just cant, they have no logical thinking and they refuse to understand, they just act like they are listening and then when you walk away they turn back to what they where before...

haha yeah thats a banner we should show them...
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline Hanuni

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »
Great post, thanks Dave.

ASHOOR

We countered with a H5N1 banner and the Zelge guys spread out masks for the fans in order to keep away from the disease of the crows  :wavetowel:

However, we were the better team but they managed to get in 3 goals and we 2 somehow, they had an offside goal though.
“Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood.”

-Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline the_dave

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
We countered with a H5N1 banner and the Zelge guys spread out masks for the fans in order to keep away from the disease of the crows  :wavetowel:

However, we were the better team but they managed to get in 3 goals and we 2 somehow, they had an offside goal though.
hahahaha damn good man :D well its ok, let them win this one, thats the only goal they have in football, they still wont make it to allsvenskan :D
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
If you guys watched the game between Assyriska and Syrianska today, you might have noticed a large banner that was held by the Syrianska supporters, it said "612 bc - ??????", obviously mockery towards us they thought... but are they so stupid that they don’t even pay respect to what happened in the past to our people? I mean did they forget that it also happend to their "own" people?, since not only where the people of Nineveh killed but also all much of the population in the Assyrian empire, including “arameeans”.

They don’t know anything about their own history and their only goal in football is to beat Assyriska FF no matter what, they just copy everything we do and they mock us and build up hate against us… How can so many people be so stupid…

Another thing that happened last year after a game was that a guy got beaten up very bad by some Syrianska supporters at a bar. The guy was forced to take of his Assyriska FF shirt but he refused, this lead to the Assault…

I myself dont really like to support the derby games between our two teams because i know that it causes more trouble and splitting within us, but hence the situation, i just want Assyriska to win and kick their ass just to prove to them that we are right and they are wrong... I would have no problem working with them, but the problem is that they dont want to work with us and they want to know anything about Assyrians, they are just "arameeans" and nothing else...

very good decribing of Syriac people in Sweden..thanks dave..

The Strangest Football Derby in the World: Assyriska FF v. Syrianska FC

Started by Concerned AssyrianBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 47
Views: 8955
Last post July 14, 2009, 11:03:32 PM
by Free_Assyria
Assyriska - Syrianska 0:1 - Derby, Pictures

Started by xxSanhoxxBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 8
Views: 1788
Last post June 05, 2009, 05:45:15 AM
by Aga
Assyriska + Syrianska, 2 assyrian teams in sweden.

Started by tihe-othurBoard Sports

Replies: 10
Views: 2377
Last post October 23, 2005, 01:44:54 PM
by tihe-othur
Assyriska Football

Started by AnitaaaaaaaaaaBoard Assyrian Youtube Clips

Replies: 0
Views: 1660
Last post September 26, 2007, 08:40:40 PM
by Anitaaaaaaaaaa
Assyriska - Football Manager