Author Topic: Ancient Church of the East changes the calendar, christmas will be on the 25th  (Read 12908 times)

Offline the_dave

• Simple living high thinking...
The Ancient Church of the East Synod has officially declared that the church will begin to celebrate Christmas on the 25th December according to the Gregorian calendar.

The church Patriarch Mar Addai II declared the new calendar to be effective from December this year. This would mean that both the Ancient Church of the East and the Assyrian Church of the East would follow the same calendar. The calendar issue was one of the main reasons the Church of the East split more than 50 years ago.

This latest move by the Ancient Church comes as numerous efforts were made by the Assyrian Church of the East Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV to unite the Church of the East. A joined holy synod between the two sister churches was postponed and expected to be held in the near future.

Source: http://theassyrian.com.au/news/global/ancient-church-of-the-east-moves-to-change-calendar

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline Tambur

• Mid-Level Member
So what da hell is the difference now? Just join up and get it over with.

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
    • http://www.Lovemoon.com  <--- fake website lol
Great news at least we all will have one Christmas. So no more 7UPs  :mrgreen: 
"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Assyrian Voice Forum

Offline Naram-Sin

I'm 7UP, so this year we'll have TWO Christmases, NICE!

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
What Tambur said. :)

Offline ISay

Amen and Amen! 

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
I'm 7UP, so this year we'll have TWO Christmases, NICE!
lol what was the point of changing the calendar???????  :bangin:
"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Great news: anything that promotes unity and brings us closer together, I am all for it.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHUR

The changing of the calendar has nothing to do with "unity", nor will it lead to the churches joining. 

Think about why the Easter celebration date stayed the same and only Christmas was changed.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
The changing of the calendar has nothing to do with "unity", nor will it lead to the churches joining. 

Think about why the Easter celebration date stayed the same and only Christmas was changed.

Christmas is more important than Easter when it comes to this conflict between the two churches, so this is huge.

And frankly, this divide between the two churches doesn't bother me much. It doesn't even compare to the 'real divide' between the Assyrian church of the east and the Chaldean Catholic Church. Now that is the real divider between our nation, and has been since 1551.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline litleesoda

We've always done Christmas on the 25th but we make sure to leave our tree up until the 7th to be safe  :mrgreen:

I didn't know there was a difference in Easter dates as well.  How do they differ?

Offline the_dave

Christmas is more important than Easter when it comes to this conflict between the two churches, so this is huge.

And frankly, this divide between the two churches doesn't bother me much. It doesn't even compare to the 'real divide' between the Assyrian church of the east and the Chaldean Catholic Church. Now that is the real divider between our nation, and has been since 1551.

ASHOOR
Many from the ancient church of the east have joined the assyrian church of the east again, the last 20 years, thanks to mar dinkha... so indeed this is good, maybe there will be a joining in the future since really there is not much diffrnace from the churches... most of the ancient church of the east adherents are located in iraq...
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline ASHUR

ASHOOR

You're missing my point barshee.  The calendar is the calendar, without regard to which holiday is more important.  You can't operate on the basis that you'll celebrate one holiday on one calendar, and the other holiday on a different calendar.  If you're looking at Christianity, Easter is more important than Christmas since Christ's crucifiction and resurrection is the whole basis of Christianity, so why not change Easter as well.  

As far as unity between the ACOE and CCOE, that won't ever happen, and I think you know that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:59:30 PM by ASHUR »

Offline xxSanhoxx

• Assyrian Youth Federation of Middle Europe
I agree it's not a big deal, but churches should be identified with nationalities or ethnicities.  People still don't understand this.  Assyrianism cannot be given and taken by a church.

I think the same. But in our people, you could give and spread anything threw church. This one who controll the churches of our people, controll our people as well! Its not right, but its reality.
"..To be an Assyrian is to feel: The past is my heritage I shall forget it not; the present, my responsibility; the future, my challenge." - Dr. David Barsum Perley

Offline the_dave

uniting the churches under one patriarch or just a declaration that all of the churches serve one nation.
Indeed, this is very important bcause people still let the church THINK for them of what is good for our nationality, this is the problem. And hanunis comment is a way to solve it...
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
Indeed, this is very important bcause people still let the church THINK for them of what is good for our nationality, this is the problem. And hanunis comment is a way to solve it...

u aat eema peeshlokh asya al daua mendi?

Offline the_dave

u aat eema peeshlokh asya al daua mendi?
La mhamzem raba khemto :D
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline Tambur

• Mid-Level Member
I would be alright with the churches not joining up if they all had Assyrian titles, for example:

Assyrian Church of the East
Assyrian Catholic Church (Chaldean)
Assyrian Orthodox Church (Syriac)

That would be pretty bad ass.

Offline the_dave

Yeah that would be very good too...
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

Offline ASHUR

WOW. 

Offline rumrum

• http://www.ramsen.net
I loved the fact that we fought for years over Christmas in December/January where technically Jesus was probably born later on in the spring months of March/April...but hey, stories are stories and traditions are traditions :)

Also, with Easter, again technically it should coincide with the Jewish Passover holiday as stated in the Bible and other texts.  Changing it around one week after, two weeks after, etc. for apparently no reason makes no sense in the religious context.  Just my opinion.

Offline FallenAngel

i hate it!!!its complete bull if u ask me!!! i for one will stick to jan 7th.

Offline FallenAngel

So what da hell is the difference now? Just join up and get it over with.

the difference is u guys broke off from us, why should we have to change our date.

Offline FallenAngel

thats not great news!! and i dont appreciate the fact "no mroe 7ups"

Offline FallenAngel

people fail to understand, its not just christmas that will change, its all the holidays that fall before and after that will change as well!

Offline SHYGIRL

• Khaya Showa!!!!
First of all ur no more "7ups" comment is ignorant. I have always celebrated Christmas Jan. 7th and will continue to do so untill the day i die, this is not good news it is all about money and politics, and for these people who wanted the change they are the same ones who go to church 2 times a year, as for me its the worst news i have heard seeing that i am an active member in my church and help out as much as i can, with this change i will not be active at all and will back out and if it means going to  church that isnt assyrian but celebrates Christmas Jan 7th then so be it.
"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good"       Romans 12:21"

Offline FallenAngel

Many from the ancient church of the east have joined the assyrian church of the east again, the last 20 years, thanks to mar dinkha... so indeed this is good, maybe there will be a joining in the future since really there is not much diffrnace from the churches... most of the ancient church of the east adherents are located in iraq...

yea ur rite thanks to him...he probably paid them a great deal of money and thats why they changed today!

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
Anybody else find it ironic how people say "I'll never celebrate Christmas on December 25?" It's like they're using the very calendar that they're against.

People, do it right and say "I'll never celebrate Christmas on December 12." Sheesh.

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member

thats not great news!! and i dont appreciate the fact "no mroe 7ups"
First of all ur no more "7ups" comment is ignorant. I have always celebrated Christmas Jan. 7th and will continue to do so untill the day i die, this is not good news it is all about money and politics, and for these people who wanted the change they are the same ones who go to church 2 times a year, as for me its the worst news i have heard seeing that i am an active member in my church and help out as much as i can, with this change i will not be active at all and will back out and if it means going to  church that isnt assyrian but celebrates Christmas Jan 7th then so be it.
you quoted me twice with 2 different replies.  I care less if it is on the 7th or on the 25th, cause they both may be wrong time, I am sure no one knows the exact day when Jesus was born, so doesn't matter which day it would be, what it matter is that we all should celebrate it on the same day, cause he was born only one time not 100000000 times. We don't want moshlmanee to make fun of us and say look at u guys everyone has his own Christmas. And the most important thing is that we all should learn to love each other, so we can be real Christians.   

Offline Tambur

• Mid-Level Member
the difference is u guys broke off from us, why should we have to change our date.

What da hell do you mean you guys? You make it seem like I was the Patriarch of the Church or something, I was not even born lol.

Anyways, who gives a crap when Christmas is celebrated, they can change the date to July 1st for all I care, anytime you have something that can bring our people closer than I'm all up for it, if you don't like it then tough luck, go call someone who cares.

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
you quoted me twice with 2 different replies.

Lovemoon, those are two different people: FallenAngel and SHYGIRL. They have the same profile image. I confused them at first too. :)

Reminds me of the khilya/khalwa debate we had going on here a little while ago where a bunch of people had the "khilyashuraye" picture with the milk jug. Confused the hell out of me.

I care less if it is on the 7th or on the 25th, cause they both may be wrong time, I am sure no one knows the exact day when Jesus was born, so doesn't matter which day it would be, what it matter is that we all should celebrate it on the same day, cause he was born only one time not 100000000 times . . . And the most important thing is that we all should learn to love each other, so we can be real Christians.

THANK YOU!

Offline ASHUR

Go read your history little one.

Offline FallenAngel

I can quote ppl on this phone but ...
That whole voting this was bull they already had their decision made...and as far as the people complaining that's bull cuz whoever wanted to leave the door was wide open...akhlee ikhreh when they use that whole can't take a day off work..pleasee!

Offline FallenAngel

Cant*

Offline FallenAngel

Ashur..I don't need to "read my history" I know exactly what I'm talking about!

Nineveh Committee > Christmas Party - (Ancient Church of the East-Toronto)

Started by NinaraBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 13
Views: 1060
Last post January 13, 2008, 02:09:52 PM
by Lovemoon
ANCIENT CHURCH OF THE EAST PREPARES MEDAL CEREMONY FOR RABI SARGIS

Started by AshootyBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 92
Views: 9579
Last post July 07, 2007, 03:33:38 PM
by Alda B.
Assyrian Church of the East and Old Calendar move towards unity

Started by Concerned AssyrianBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 50
Views: 12267
Last post May 28, 2009, 10:08:38 PM
by Free_Assyria
Do you support the reuniting the Assyrian/Ancient Church of the East?

Started by Malik DannoBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 10
Views: 1462
Last post May 20, 2009, 11:26:33 AM
by baklawa
St. Hurmizd Assyrian Primary School of the Assyrian Church of the East

Started by RateAssyriansBoard Culture & History

Replies: 22
Views: 5373
Last post March 02, 2006, 06:13:37 AM
by JooJee