Author Topic: Nag Hamadi Scroll -Gospel of St Thomas  (Read 10661 times)

Offline peachy

• Ultimate Member
Nag Hamadi Scroll -Gospel of St Thomas
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »
"The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you,
Not in a mansion of wood and stone.
Split a piece of wood and God is there,
Lift a stone and you will find God."

"I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained. Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."  (This is verse 77)

"If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is within you and it is outside you."  (This is verse 3)

His disciples questioned him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?" Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered."  (This is verse 6)

"If you fast, you will bring sin upon yourselves, and if you pray, you will be condemned, and if you give to charity, you will harm your spirits."  (!!)   When you go into any land and walk about in the districts, if they receive you, eat what they will set before you, and heal the sick among them. For what goes into your mouth will not defile you, but that which issues from your mouth - it is that which will defile you."  (This is verse 14)

What do you make of this? Why wasnt this gospel included in the Bible?

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
Re: Nag Hamadi Scroll -Gospel of St Thomas
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:54:10 PM »
What do you make of this? Why wasnt this gospel included in the Bible?

It contradicts the rest of the bible, therefore considered a fraud.  Hence it was not included.
Living in Japan again and loving it.

Offline peachy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:09:02 PM »
It contradicts the rest of the bible, therefore considered a fraud.  Hence it was not included.

Hmm. They say this is the closest thing to Jesus' sayings though. It contradicts it because its saying there is no need for churches or other people to come in between you and God. I find that rather nice.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:09:02 PM »

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:02:16 AM »

Hmm. They say this is the closest thing to Jesus' sayings though. It contradicts it because its saying there is no need for churches or other people to come in between you and God. I find that rather nice.

Peach. 

If my co-worker tells you that I am wearing a red shirt and sends you a photo, you would not believe another co-worker of mine who tells you that I am wearing a yellow shirt.  You would ignore it.

Offline peachy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 02:24:24 AM »
Peach. 

If my co-worker tells you that I am wearing a red shirt and sends you a photo, you would not believe another co-worker of mine who tells you that I am wearing a yellow shirt.  You would ignore it.

:loool: And this relates to the Bible how? There were many  many gospels out there and the Bible was  put together by people or a king if im not mistaken, so who is to say one is false and the rest are true and vice versa?

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:42:44 AM »
Nice post Eddie.

Peaches, this discussion always comes down to waht you believe the Bible to be.  Is it the work of man, or the work of God, using man to put together His word??

If you take the former, then there will always be doubt about what the canon should be because its subjective.  If you take the latter, then you believe we have the WHOLE and complete revelation of God until the second coming.

Let me throw another question at everyone.  What if a new Epistle of Paul was found??  What should be done with it???  Should it be added to the Bible? 
Rom 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 07:36:08 PM »

:loool: And this relates to the Bible how? There were many  many gospels out there and the Bible was  put together by people or a king if im not mistaken, so who is to say one is false and the rest are true and vice versa?

I think Eddie and John 5 24 gave some detailed replies there. 

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
Honest,
Bani was referring to the fact that you and I look at the Bible differently.  You see a production of man and it is therefore subjective.  I see a work of the Almighty God, using men as He sees fit.  He is not subject to anything but His own nature.  Therefore, you believe the Bible is no different than the works of Homer, and I would disagree.

You can't jump straight into the arguments you, or anyone else poses without first identifying and dealing with the presuppositions we all enter the conversation with.
Rom 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:43:58 PM »
Honest,

I despise it when people put words in my mouth.  I will give you the benefit of the doubt this time and assume you misunderstood and not looking for an arguement for the sake of arguing.

I have not been to the Assyrian church for 11 years.  Assyrian Church Of The East.  My reasons, I have spelled out several times on this website.  I will not repeat them as I don't think it will make a difference to you, nor to this actual topic.  I have not abandoned my beliefs in the bible.  Never have. 

The reason why I refered to John and Ed is because Peach made a comment about something I said and Eddie gave a detailed responce which I agreed with.  Why type out the same thing?  I could have not posted anything and Peach may have thought I was ignoring her, so I posted something short and sweet.  Nothing intricate to analyse mate.

Offline Tears of Assyria

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »
I dont belive in this , just because it was discovered it does not make it true,,

lets give you an example on AVN, ppl. come here and share their openion and most of the time dont agree .. some say Zowaa is the best other say Zowaa is Traitor, in 5 yeras from now Zowaa will be heading the Assyrian community ... then 500 years from now which internet would so old tech, some1 will discover a writting done by lets say who hate Zowaa saying that Zowaa is BAD, would that make it true, if all other writting agreed on the oposit.

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 08:59:19 AM »
I dont belive in this , just because it was discovered it does not make it true,,

lets give you an example on AVN, ppl. come here and share their openion and most of the time dont agree .. some say Zowaa is the best other say Zowaa is Traitor, in 5 yeras from now Zowaa will be heading the Assyrian community ... then 500 years from now which internet would so old tech, some1 will discover a writting done by lets say who hate Zowaa saying that Zowaa is BAD, would that make it true, if all other writting agreed on the oposit.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Honest, can you keep to the topic and stop changing it all the time?  It is difficult to deciphir what it is you are trying to say because it is never about the topic discussed.  You remind me of one of my students in Japan, I asked him if he uses email and his answer was, "I hate George Bush".

Offline Tambur

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:27:08 AM »

This is weak logic because the Gospel of Thomas does not say anything bad about Jesus, it's good opinion on him but offers a different outlook.

Offline abdul

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
Hi guys...the Gospel of Thomas, in my view, is a late Gnostic text.

It is very difficult to argue for an early date for Thomas, especially considering the strong Gnostic nature of the text.

Very little of it, to my judgement, can be taken as going back to the historical Jesus.

It is not the closest thing to Jesus' sayings.

What Thomas may be useful for, however, is to highlight that early Christian texts were not always narrative based, i.e. like the Gospels.

There may have been an early sayings text similar to the structure of Thomas, i.e. lacking a narrative. This could have in turn been used as a source for the Gospels (the consensus is that the first Gospel to be written was Mark, c.70AD).

Ninja Scroll - The Granddaddy of Anime

Started by SalemBoard Films

Replies: 0
Views: 890
Last post October 20, 2006, 09:07:41 PM
by Salem
thomas jones traded to jets

Started by lightforceBoard Sports

Replies: 4
Views: 527
Last post March 10, 2007, 05:45:51 PM
by RadRides