Author Topic: East and West Assyrian - The Differences  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
East and West Assyrian - The Differences
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:26:41 AM »
1. We mostly pronounce some letters in an other way: o -> a / f -> p (ܦ) / H -> kh (ܚ) and sometimes th -> t (ܚܬܐ -> ܚ̣ܬܐ)

So if I write ...
ܫܠܡܐ I would read it "shlomo" and You "shlama"
ܫܦܝܪܐ I would read it "shafiro" and You "shapira"
ܚܘܒܐ I would read it "Hubo" and You "khuba"

We have the kh sound in western dialect, too but we pronounce it e.g. if we say "baytokh" (ܒܝܬ̣ܟ), so if we use the letter kof/kap with a dot downstairs, like in eastern dialect.

2. We conjugate in an other way:
ono Hoze-no - ana khaz-in
at Hoz-at - at khaz-at (in 2. person singular is the same way of conjugation)
hie Hoz-e - awen khaz-e (again some way of conjugation but different personal pronoun for "he")

aHna Hoz-ina - akhna khaz-wikh
hatu Hoz-itu - akhtokhun khaz-itun (again same way of conjugation, in western dialect is just the n in the end of "we" lost, and a little bit different personal pronoun)
hani Hoz-in - ani (khaz-i ???) (again a little bit different personal pronouns for "they" but I don´t know what´s about the conjugation in this case in eastern dialect.

I have to meantion, if we conjugate in the 3. person singular the way of conjugation is mostly different. The 3. person is a irregular thing.
Like the 3. person plural, but not so often like 3. person singular.
E.g. while I conjugate the verb "see" in the 3. person plural I say "Hoz-in" (they see) and if I conjugate the verb "fall" I say "nef-li" (they fall) in the western dialect.

And if I want to say that I make something in this moment I use "ko" in front of the verb, e.g. "ko-Hoze-no."
This is not so commonly by east dialect speaking Assyrians but there are also east speakers who say "k-khaz-in." As far as I know they are from Ninve. I once spoke with someone from there.
If I want to use the future temse I use "ged" (or get?) in west and "bt" in east: "ged-othe-no" - "bt-ath-in" (I will come).

3. Sometimes are the words we use a little bit different:
E.g. we say in west "fahim-no" and in east we say "parm-in" (I understand)
...or we say in west "qumr-ina" and in east we say "qamr-wikh" (we win).

(4.) We use sometimes other words in our common speech:
E.g. we say in west "Hudro" while we say in east "shauta puta" (association). But there are some eastern dialect speakin Assyrians who say "khudra" too.
And in western Assyrian there is also the term "shautho futho" but we don´t use it often in our commeon speech, two weeks ago I heard it in our church.

Or we say "Hze-li" in western and "khze-li" in eastern dialect (I have seen) but we say "maHwe-li" in western and "makhze-li" in eastern dialect (I have shown) while we have "maHze-li" in western dialect too but we use it not often.

I was thinking about whether I should show the "difference" No 4 because it is not really a difference,
AND I was thinking whether I should write about the commonness in west and east dialect but I started to realize that it would be too much, would take too much time and I see outside is nice weather :p

shlome lebonoye - shlame libanaye (peacful greetings) ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:08:18 PM by John_86 »

The Rights of Assyrians -UN Declaration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDtB12aA8I

The existence of the Assyrian Nation & Nationality is a fact
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
    • http://www.Lovemoon.com  <--- fake website lol
Re: East and West Assyrian - The Differences
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:14:07 AM »
Thanks for all this :) even thou is not something new to me  :blush2:  :)

For these words that u typed a big letter "H" you can type "7" for it which it sounds different than the "h".

hani Hoz-in - ani (khaz-i ???)

it is just (ani Khazee)

aHna Hoz-ina - akhna khaz-wikh
It is (akhnee khazikh)

hie Hoz-e - awen khaz-e

(ayen khaz-ya) is for female
"ko-Hoze-no."

You guys say "ko" and we say "qam" that "q" is "ܩ" not kap.
or we say in west "qumr-ina" and in east we say "qamr-wikh" (we win).
should be "qrim-lin"

I wana add something funny. You guys say"shish-wone" for "ants" and we say "shikwani" and that word sounds funny in Suryoyo, u know what i mean lol :lmao: :blush2: , also you guys say "Boot" for "shoes", and that word is close to another funny word that we have lol

"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
well done dear John, you know I know we have alot incomon but the problem in general when a syriac talks to a ashuri they wont understand eachother..thats the problem...

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:13:03 PM »
...I wana add something funny. You guys say"shish-wone" for "ants" and we say "shikwani" and that word sounds funny in Suryoyo, u know what i mean lol :lmao: :blush2: , also you guys say "Boot" for "shoes", and that word is close to another funny word that we have lol

Firstly, basimta raba for the correction! :)
No, I don´t know what You mean :)
"shoes" doesn´t mean "boot" in western Assyrian, it means "msone."

And btw, the name of our dialect is Turoyo, not Suryoyo. Suryoyo is the name for our whole language which means translated Assyrian ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:14:31 PM by John_86 »

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »
Firstly, basimta raba for the correction! :)
No, I don´t know what You mean :)
"shoes" doesn´t mean "boot" in western Assyrian, it means "msone."

And btw, the name of our dialect is Turoyo, not Suryoyo. Suryoyo is the name for our whole language which means translated Assyrian ;)
No problem.

well I call all of them Suryoyo  :), and about the shoes I guess you guys call it different way but people from Madyat they call it "boot". 
"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:10:46 AM »
Well, yes there are some who call it "boot" and some say "shakale" but these words are not Assyrian.
It is "msono" (singular)/ "msone" (plural) is in Assyrian.
Eastern Assyrian speking people say "dunye" for "world" but it is "britho" in west and "brita" in east Assyrian.
So just because some people use a particular word it means not that this is from their native language :)

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
Well, yes there are some who call it "boot" and some say "shakale" but these words are not Assyrian.
It is "msono" (singular)/ "msone" (plural) is in Assyrian.
Eastern Assyrian speking people say "dunye" for "world" but it is "britho" in west and "brita" in east Assyrian.
So just because some people use a particular word it means not that this is from their native language :)
I know what you are coming from but I wasn't talking about their native language, but they do use that word  :razz: just like how we hardly use britha or alma, we mostly use duneh for world. I know duneh is not Assyrian it is Arabic word but if u hear me saying duneah you would say to me u guys call it duneh. so yah, the time I have lived with Assyrians from Turkey all I heard was the word "boot" for shoes .  :razz:

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »
 :razz:  :)

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:38:36 AM »
Ah, and we have articles in the western dialect; u for male, i for female, and a for plural.

E.g.: dU Huyodo (of the unity), di radayto (of the car) and dA mdinawothe (of the cities).

Are there eastern dialects which have articles, too?
Sometimes i heard in some songs "di" and "du" for "of" and someone wrote me "do" for "of" (as far as I know many east speakers speak the waw sound as o ).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:41:23 AM by John_86 »

Offline Micho

• kutle
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 01:23:56 PM »
I don't want to create a new thread about this so I just post this here because the headline fits it. I heard that we West Assyrians also had traditional clothes like the East Assyrians but we weren't allowed to wear them because of the Turkish Government. Does anyone know how these clothes look like so you can compare them with the East Assyrian ones?

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
I don't want to create a new thread about this so I just post this here because the headline fits it. I heard that we West Assyrians also had traditional clothes like the East Assyrians but we weren't allowed to wear them because of the Turkish Government. Does anyone know how these clothes look like so you can compare them with the East Assyrian ones?
Government has nothing to do with it, it is only cause if u live in a city your life style changes, I mean if u go to the villages in south Turkey the old people still wear those traditional cloths, and yah they are not that much different than the East Assyrian ones, it is just that they don't wear much jewelery. 

Offline Micho

• kutle
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 08:17:50 AM »
No, nowadays they can wear them I think (but I don't think they do) but a long time ago they weren't allowed, the same with celebrating Nisan.

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »
Normally the topic is about our language :)

... Our culture was generally banned. E.g. my father told me when he spoke in Assyrian with his friends in the school the teacher did beat them.

Offline Micho

• kutle
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
I saw yesterday what I suspect was our traditional clothes in Suroyo TV. They showed an old video with some girls dancing around with traditional dresses who were made out of silk. The dresses were either red or greenblue and with white fabric silk on the waist down to the knees I think.

Assyrian: East meets West

Started by PhiruelBoard Assyrian Language Center

Replies: 536
Views: 94147
Last post February 26, 2015, 06:42:45 PM
by babyloniad
East & West Assyrian - Hebrew Lessons

Started by gurarie3Board Assyrian Language Center

Replies: 12
Views: 4263
Last post January 23, 2010, 07:18:28 PM
by gurarie3