Author Topic: Assyrians in North America have an Accent. Those in Australia & Europe don't!  (Read 7147 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Man I couldn't help but notice this.

The Assyrians who were born, or been here most of their life, usually have an English which has an accent. I mean they don't look like they were born here. The same with so many Assyrians in the US, mainly in the East coast. But it is more about those in Canada.

On the other hand, Assyrians from Australia and England usually pick up the local accent and have an English very similar to the English spoken by the countrymen there.  And beleive me, I have met ton of people, both online and offline who proved this to me. My cousin in Australia is 30 years old and has been there since 1992. You should hear his English, you wouldn't tell the difference from an Australian.

Meanwhile, I know people who were born here in Canada, or been here for over 30 years, and you would be amazed to hear the crap English they speak. It is mind-puzzling to think about it.

And this really pisses me off. I am not saying I am any better than them, although I have only been here for 8 years. But the ones who have been here for decades are sometimes worse than the FOBS they laugh at.

But one English I heard and liked was Anita's, Atourina's sister, she was speaking a perfect Canadian English. There are othersa too, but that is all I can remember, because I usually like to speak in Assyrian.

But seriously, why can't we speak without an accent, just like Assyrians in England and other places do?

ASHOOR

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Valantina

• Ultimate AVNer
I think you are right.

I lived in AUSTRALIA for about 8 years and my accent was/is so Aussie lol... but i love that accent and when i talk you can tell i have an australian accent  :giggle:

But when i moved in usa 3 months now... Ohh man ppl think that my accent is funny and usualy they laugh at it  :bangin:
What i realise is that their English is not so American's.. i tried telling them, but they would refuse to agree
  :bangin:

:angelnot:

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Exactly and beleive me, I have seen it, it is really shocking sometimes!

By the way, it is not only an Assyrian problem I am sure, but khena this is an Assyrian website so that is our concern lol.

You moved to the US? since when? how do you like it so far?  :)

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Assyrian Voice Forum

Offline Valantina

• Ultimate AVNer
i moved here in December... and i do like it, but i am not used to it yet. Hopefuly i will  :blink:  :)

But i don't think it is that safe here, as it is in Aus, especialy after what happened last few days here in Califonia - San Deigo  :blink:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060302-1122-bn02slain5.html

But people here always pick on my accent  :blush2: lol

Offline JooJee

• Down to ride till the very end..
haha i dont think i have an accent? i talk like an aussie! Mate...  :shades:
When the world seems to shine, like you've had too much wine...that's Amore... <3

Offline Angel2

• Special Member
  • 6/14/08
Re: Assyrians in North America have an Accent. Those in Australia & Europe don't!

it's because in America we have a variety of  English accents..............example: typical New Yorker, southerners (each with a little variation), New Jersey, Midwest accent etc

I don't speak with an Assyrian accent
"May the Lord Bless You & continually fill your heart with His Love. May He give you victory in every trial you face.....As you are blessed of the Lord, may you become a blessing in return to all those who share your life."   Audrey Jeanne Roberts

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Like Angel2 stated, I meant to say "speak English with an Assyrian accent..."

ASHOOR

Offline Angel2

• Special Member
  • 6/14/08
in that case my post needs to be changed..............I wasn't sure what you were asking and so I answered your question in 2 different ways
"May the Lord Bless You & continually fill your heart with His Love. May He give you victory in every trial you face.....As you are blessed of the Lord, may you become a blessing in return to all those who share your life."   Audrey Jeanne Roberts

Offline assyrian_dude

• Special Member
i'd take an accent any day {well nothing too bold i guess  :lol: :lol: :lol: )

its better then speaking like a hardcore canadian/american

but most people tell me i dont have an accent at all  :blink: i think i do though  :angelnot:

Offline Angel2

• Special Member
  • 6/14/08
I wasn't born in America, but I've lived here ever since I was 5 yrs old and it would be weird if I spoke with an assyrian accent........when you are younger you can adapt more quickly to a different language       

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
assyrian_dude, I beg to differ khon. If you can speak it, then better speak it hard core when speaking it with people whose language isd English. And when speaking Assyrian, speak it hard core too  :shades:

Offline WhosYourBaghdaddy?

Actually Ashoor, i can say the exact opposite to what you just said. Reason you notice this accent is because you've lived all your life with native english speakers (with an american accent) so it is very easy for you to compare an Assyrian accent to a Native english speaker. To me, you all sound exactly the same as i dont live there. In here, like you, i can easily tell the difference between an Assyrian and an Aussie accent most of the time (even if they were born here) but you may not notice it.

Offline Angel2

• Special Member
  • 6/14/08
Indians always maintain their native tongue so Ashoor is somewhat right

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
That makes perfect sense Baghdady.

But I still think that an Assyrian from Australia speaking English would sound more like a native Australian than an Assyrian from North America like a native North American. Don't you think so?

ASHOOR

Offline WhosYourBaghdaddy?

But I still think that an Assyrian from Australia speaking English would sound more like a native Australian than an Assyrian from North America like a native North American. Don't you think so?

ASHOOR
To be honest, i got no idea. Unless i live in america for a few years, i can't give you an answer. lol

Offline atourina

• I Am The Best :)
the reason why my sister can speak it so well.. is cuz we dont know assyrian that well.. i mean.. if its just me and my sisters speaking it.. we understand eachother... cuz we make no sence.. its weird.. but if i were to speak it to someone else.. i bet they wouldnt know what the heck i was saying  :giggle:

i always wonder if when the british and australians speak assyrian... they speak it with an accent... my aunt in england.. when she speaks assyrian.. u can kinda hear her british accent.. its soo cool

i love accents.. im so jealous of everyone with one..  :ban:

**Mean Girls Club**

Offline Valantina

• Ultimate AVNer
When you guys say assyrian english accent.......

do u mean like those who pronounce every letter.... e.g when saying but... actuly saying buT
  :blink:

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
Ashoor, I have to agree with Baghdaddy.  For me, North American Assyrians have North American accents when they speak English and it sounds sexy if anything seeing an Assyrian face with an accent that is so famous and glamourous around the world.  But here in Australia (well I am not there now but I am spiritually), man, the Assyrians have shocking accents. 

Another thing Ashoor and maybe you can confirm this.  Australians born to Lebanese, Greek or Assyrian parents tend to have their own accent in Australia.  I don't know if it is the same in Canada.  But they, even though native Englsh speakers, have their own unique "fully sick" accent.  I was born and raised in Australia but my accent has always been different to that of my friends.  You saw that interview from 4 years ago and you heard my accent.  It was not very Australian.  But for you, it probably sounded Aussie. 
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (*1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline Uneek

Australians born to Lebanese, Greek or Assyrian parents tend to have their own accent in Australia.

that is so true l0l and also turks do as well, but i dont know about greek, coz the ones i know and have met have full-on aussie accent.
i have a normal aussie accent l0l
What you think about me is your opinion, what you know about me is what people say, and what you think you know about me isn’t me at all.
Author: I DUNNO!

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
Come to think of that Uneek, my sisters sound very Aussie but I have that ugly "fully sick" wog accent.  I hate it but I can't change it.
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (*1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline Whatever

• Mid-Level Member
Ashoor, i think you only notice it because you hear Canadians everyday while you think all 'British' accents sound the same so you cannot hear when one is slightly different.

I can clearly hear that most London Assyrians (even if they were born here and have lived here all their lives) have an accent that's different to a white English Londoner. I didn't mix with Assyrians and most of my friends are white so I managed to avoid it
'...here's Makalele. They can break here Chelsea. This could be the moment. Frank Lampard for Chelsea. It's Carvalho to his right. Lampard for the title...Lampard! It's 2-0, it's Chelsea's Championship and fifty years of waiting have come to an end...' 30th April 2005 - Reebok Stadium

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
    • http://www.Lovemoon.com  <--- fake website lol

ASHOOR

I think only to you it sounds more like a native Australian, cause you never been in Australia so you don't really know the difference, just like me when I heard my cuz speaking British accent, I was like omg he sounds exactly just like British people, but when I visit London England I found out that even my cuz had different accent than the British accent.

assyrian_dude, I agree you don't have any accent  :bigarmhug:
"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
One more thing, I do have an accent but that cause I came to this country at age of 21, so yah I am not that young to learn new language, I also know more than 3 Languages so nobody can blame me that I have an ugly accent lol, and I don't really care, the only thing i care is that I am smarter than some people who speak perfect English with no accent  :mrgreen: and my boss is one of these people lol.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 03:59:56 PM by Lovemoon »
"No matter how ugly you think you are, that special someone that loves you believes you are the most beautiful and irresistable thing on earth and nothing can ever change that."
Leh Parshelan eatateh,o' lazeh shimma d' Matwateh , Kolan eawakh m kha baba o mkhda yima akhonwateh.
العراقي ذهب.....العراقية الماس...العراقي وفه ..العراقيةاحساس...رغم كل الضروف يبقون احسن ناس

Offline Valantina

• Ultimate AVNer
WuvyMoony u r still 21  :bigarmhug:

I love british accent  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

When i see british people, i just love listening to them
  :baby:

Offline Lovemoon

• Ultimate Member
WuvyMoony u r still 21  :bigarmhug:

I love british accent  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

When i see british people, i just love listening to them
:bigarmhug:
Where have you been?? I haven't seen you on msn lately, whats going on?

Offline Valantina

• Ultimate AVNer
Ohhh i know... well last night i was busy here spamming  :giggle:

But i dunno, i should be on right now... but u r not  :beee: :bigarmhug:

Guess what...........
i'll tell u on msn lool

Offline Assy Gal

• I LOVE THE OILERS TO DEATH!!

ASHOOR

I think only to you it sounds more like a native Australian, cause you never been in Australia so you don't really know the difference, just like me when I heard my cuz speaking British accent, I was like omg he sounds exactly just like British people, but when I visit London England I found out that even my cuz had different accent than the British accent.

assyrian_dude, I agree you don't have any accent  :bigarmhug:

I agree with you  :giggle:...

Offline atourina

• I Am The Best :)
Irish accents are the greatest accents ever... :2hearts:

**Mean Girls Club**

Offline Renee

• Summer lovin', had me a blast
That's coz the Aussie accent is easy to pick up, don't try to hard, be lazy with the pronunciation of a word by dropping a few letters here and there and make SURE you say 3 words as if it's one

Giddaymayte = Good day mate

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Irish accents are the greatest accents ever... :2hearts:

Thank youuu!!! finally someone who loves the beautiful Irish accent. Scottish is not bad too.

ASHOOR

Offline Hookah

• Bears suck!!!!
Man I couldn't help but notice this.

The Assyrians who were born, or been here most of their life, usually have an English which has an accent. I mean they don't look like they were born here. The same with so many Assyrians in the US, mainly in the East coast. But it is more about those in Canada.

On the other hand, Assyrians from Australia and England usually pick up the local accent and have an English very similar to the English spoken by the countrymen there.  And beleive me, I have met ton of people, both online and offline who proved this to me. My cousin in Australia is 30 years old and has been there since 1992. You should hear his English, you wouldn't tell the difference from an Australian.

Meanwhile, I know people who were born here in Canada, or been here for over 30 years, and you would be amazed to hear the crap English they speak. It is mind-puzzling to think about it.

And this really pisses me off. I am not saying I am any better than them, although I have only been here for 8 years. But the ones who have been here for decades are sometimes worse than the FOBS they laugh at.

But one English I heard and liked was Anita's, Atourina's sister, she was speaking a perfect Canadian English. There are othersa too, but that is all I can remember, because I usually like to speak in Assyrian.

But seriously, why can't we speak without an accent, just like Assyrians in England and other places do?

ASHOOR

I've lived in chicago my whole life and I don't have an assyrian accent.  (Fyi I just pulled into my gahraj and am currently eating chicken naaagets from McDono)

Offline Renee

:lmao:

My accent come's on when i'm speaking to people with a non-Aussie accent

Offline Hookah

• Bears suck!!!!
I was so disappointed when I found out that you guys don't actually say, "Throw anatha shrimp on the bah-bee"

Offline Renee

We call them prawns you damn Americans!!!! Stop hijacking our culture!  :beee:

I'm sorry! Please don't invade our country, we have nothing worth stealing, just a whole lot of red sand  :bigarmhug:

Offline Hookah

• Bears suck!!!!
I'm sorry this is the only information about australia that I'm aware of.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 01:55:27 AM by Hookah »

how are the assyrians-arameans-caldeans in North-America and Australia?

Started by ZawoyoBoard Culture & History

Replies: 36
Views: 10909
Last post November 30, 2008, 12:23:10 AM
by GodIsGoodAllTheTime
Which city in America or Europe should more Assyrians migrate to and why?

Started by Assyrian NationalistBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 21
Views: 1122
Last post February 20, 2016, 09:18:07 PM
by Cascade
The Japanese have officially taken over North America

Started by AudaciousBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 7
Views: 922
Last post March 05, 2006, 04:57:52 PM
by BeLLaMaFIa
Something North America doesnt have

Started by JohnSydneyBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 4
Views: 567
Last post October 31, 2005, 12:16:04 PM
by X e n a
North Americans Say "Good Friday", Assyrians say "Sad Friday: who is right?

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 5
Views: 810
Last post April 14, 2006, 04:45:22 PM
by ASHOOR