Author Topic: Christianity & the Bible  (Read 1764 times)

Offline davidb

Christianity & the Bible
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »
Christianity is a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teaching of Jesus... It does not say anywhere, if you don't follow the bible.. Word.. FOR word.. then your not a christian..... Its the belief that there was a lord and saviour that sacraficed for our sins... This has come from the bible yes true... But the bible isnt a primary source, its a secondary source based from "word of mouth".. During the process in the making of the bible, there was alot of exagerations from ""Devoted christians"" for example,"I SAW HIM WALK ON WATER"...This is possible... When you think logically, its not about the bible we have faith in, its the teachings the bible has taught us, not to kill, steal, lie etc etc.. Yes people do these things but that doesn't mean were not christian...Jesus said so himself, we are not perfect and no one wil be and until the judgement day, everyone will be commiting sins till they die...BUT there is still christianity... The ""devoted christians"" THINK you have to follow the bible word for word but they also comit sins hence making them " NOT FOLLOWING THE BIBLE " but they think they still are.. When it comes to religion, faith and Jesus.... You can't lose faith from what bull**** is being tossed around because this is where your faith is tested..... You have to believeee yourself, that there is a Lord Jesus Christ and he DID sacrafice for our sins...

This is what my mate said.

He also believes that Christianity could of been passed on by word and the bible can be irrelevant when following Jesus.

Discuss..

Offline Knight

• Ultimate Member
  • Knight & JooJee
Re: Christianity & the Bible
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:17:56 AM »
Is he a Christian?

As far as Christianity is concerned, the Holy Bible is the message. It was given to us through prophets and people who were human, with the aid of the Holy Spirit working through them.

When the Holy Spirit worked through these "Human Beings", they could only comprehend according to their humanity, what could be sensed through their five senses and written to their understanding.....which really is not enough to relay the complete message. That's why we have things in the Bible which we cannot comprehend or understand.

Christianity is to be Christ-like, we can try to our best, but we know that we cannot be perfect.
"The moral and religious system which Jesus Christ transmitted to us is the best the world has ever seen, or can see." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline MXJSPH

• Special Member
    • Civilised Violence
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:54:39 AM »
Christianity and all the other religions are worthless when considering their supernatural aspects. Christianity and all the other religions are only something of value when taking them as moral codes. However, if you posit an 'ought' into a moral dilemma, using a Christian sentiment, you base your moral code on supernatural principles. That is very dangerous and history is a testament to that fact. What one is left with is a situation where a conclusion is heavily influenced by an isolated detached factor. It is law without consultation or empiricism. These laws have a terrible origin..

There is a serious case whether Jesus or Paul is actually the most important figure in Christianity - look around you today. You might scoff at that, but all the authority church institutions wield when determining procedure, tradition, law, and theology comes from Paul. Paul effectively created a form of spiritual governance that gave manipulative leaders a stick from which they can hit people with. Jesus bestowed NO authority to anyone - why are there so many different churches and denominations? It is power they seek - power Paul gave them with codes of practice - rules of establishment.

I've quoted these two paragraphs before but I feel they are relevant again. So again:

In the whole psychology of the "Gospels" the concepts of guilt and punishment are lacking, and so is that of reward. "Sin," which means anything that puts a distance between God and man, is abolished--this is precisely the "glad tidings." Eternal bliss is not merely promised, nor is it bound up with conditions: it is conceived as the only reality--what remains consists merely of signs useful in speaking of it.

The results of such a point of view project themselves into a new way of life, the special evangelical way of life. It is not a "belief" that marks off the Christian; he is distinguished by a different mode of action; he acts differently. He offers no resistance, either by word or in his heart, to those who stand against him. He draws no distinction between strangers and countrymen, Jews and Gentiles ("neighbour," of course, means fellow-believer, Jew). He is angry with no one, and he despises no one. He neither appeals to the courts of justice nor heeds their mandates ("Swear not at all") .12 He never under any circumstances divorces his wife, even when he has proofs of her infidelity.--And under all of this is one principle; all of it arises from one instinct.--

The life of the Saviour was simply a carrying out of this way of life--and so was his death. . . He no longer needed any formula or ritual in his relations with God--not even prayer. He had rejected the whole of the Jewish doctrine of repentance and atonement; he knew that it was only by a way of life that one could feel one's self "divine," "blessed," "evangelical," a "child of God."Not by "repentance,"not by "prayer and forgiveness" is the way to God: only the Gospel way leads to God--it is itself "God!"--What the Gospels abolished was the Judaism in the concepts of "sin," "forgiveness of sin," "faith," "salvation through faith"--the whole ecclesiastical dogma of the Jews was denied by the "glad tidings."

The deep instinct which prompts the Christian how to live so that he will feel that he is "in heaven" and is "immortal," despite many reasons for feeling that he is not "in heaven": this is the only psychological reality in "salvation."--A new way of life, not a new faith.

If I understand anything at all about this great symbolist, it is this: that he regarded only subjective realities as realities, as "truths"--hat he saw everything else, everything natural, temporal, spatial and historical, merely as signs, as materials for parables. The concept of "the Son of God" does not connote a concrete person in history, an isolated and definite individual, but an "eternal" fact, a psychological symbol set free from the concept of time. The same thing is true, and in the highest sense, of the God of this typical symbolist, of the "kingdom of God," and of the "sonship of God." Nothing could he more un-Christian than the crude ecclesiastical notions of God as a person, of a "kingdom of God" that is to come, of a "kingdom of heaven" beyond, and of a "son of God" as the second person of the Trinity. All this--if I may be forgiven the phrase--is like thrusting one's fist into the eye (and what an eye!) of the Gospels: a disrespect for symbols amounting to world-historical cynicism. . . .But it is nevertheless obvious enough what is meant by the symbols "Father" and "Son"--not, of course, to every one--: the word "Son" expresses entrance into the feeling that there is a general transformation of all things (beatitude), and "Father" expresses that feeling itself--the sensation of eternity and of perfection.--I am ashamed to remind you of what the church has made of this symbolism: has it not set an Amphitryon story at the threshold of the Christian "faith"? And a dogma of "immaculate conception" for good measure? . . --And thereby it has robbed conception of its immaculateness--

The "kingdom of heaven" is a state of the heart--not something to come "beyond the world" or "after death." The whole idea of natural death is absent from the Gospels: death is not a bridge, not a passing; it is absent because it belongs to a quite different, a merely apparent world, useful only as a symbol. The "hour of death" is not a Christian idea--"hours," time, the physical life and its crises have no existence for the bearer of "glad tidings." . . .

The "kingdom of God" is not something that men wait for: it had no yesterday and no day after tomorrow, it is not going to come at a "millennium"--it is an experience of the heart, it is everywhere and it is nowhere. . . .

"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star? Thus asks the last man, and he blinks. The earth has become small, and on it hops the last man, who makes everything small"

Friedrich Nietzsche

civilisedviolence.wordpress.com

Offline davidb

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:03 PM »
Is he a Christian?

As far as Christianity is concerned, the Holy Bible is the message. It was given to us through prophets and people who were human, with the aid of the Holy Spirit working through them.

When the Holy Spirit worked through these "Human Beings", they could only comprehend according to their humanity, what could be sensed through their five senses and written to their understanding.....which really is not enough to relay the complete message. That's why we have things in the Bible which we cannot comprehend or understand.

Christianity is to be Christ-like, we can try to our best, but we know that we cannot be perfect.

He believes he is a Christian. Although he doesn't believe everything that is in the bible and interprets it in his own way, which i think is wrong and it really doesn't make him a Christian.

Offline Dalida

• Golden Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
He believes he is a Christian. Although he doesn't believe everything that is in the bible and interprets it in his own way, which i think is wrong and it really doesn't make him a Christian.

I do not agree with you on that statement. Why is he not a Christian if he interprets the bible his own way or different from anyone else? There are so many different Christian sects that interpret the bible differently. Are they all wrong? Are they all not Christians as well?

If he believes in Jesus and he knows in his heart that he is a Christian that he is a Christian to me because how do we know what Christian sects is right? Who is the "correct" Christian in all these different sects?
I do not know the answer to these questions that is why i get annoyed when people say their way is the correct way or they are the true Christians.

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
-Mother Teresa

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. -Phillip ****

Offline davidb

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:57:13 PM »
A true Christian will read the bible, interpret it as how it should be and believe in every word!, whether it may be metaphorically or literally.

Offline davidb

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »
I'm not sure how much the bible varies between each sect since i haven't read even one, does it even vary at all?

The point is you pick the sect you believe that is true, and you follow it to it's full extent.

Offline davidb

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
That they have faith that the stories happened literally or they have faith this is a direct message from God to be taken metaphorically, all depending on the verse.

Offline peachy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
No 2 people can look at the same thing and see it from the same point of view.

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
Sorry by the way, I haven't been on.  I got laid off work!  YIPPEE!!!  And yes, I mean that.  I hated that job.  :loool:  I have a lead for a job that I really, really want!!!

If you truly are a follower of Christ, you believe the Bible is God's Word, it's Supernatural, and the Word of God speaks.  You have to follow what the Bible says, when read and followed, it's been known to do miracles.  God has spoken to me several times through His Word.  It's Supernatural.  I know my Shepherds Voice!  I know when it's Him, and when it's me thinking!

Can you be a Christian and not have the Bible?  Yes.  I'll explain.  There was a man in prison in Singapore.  I'm not sure why he was there, for some reason I remember theft.  The Gideons, they are a group who distributes Bibles every where they go, you know when you go to a hotel and see a Bible there?  They are most likely the ones who put it there.  Originally it was started for travelling Salesmen.  It's a great cause.  Many lives have been changed because of their work.

Well this man found the first page of the Bible, the cardboard part.  The Gideons put a prayer on it, which is Scriptural to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.  Well, this man would read that prayer every day being sick of his life, and gave his life to the Lord.  He became a Christian through that prayer, which had God's Words in it.  God totally works with nothing, and can still change a person no matter what.  You just have to be willing. 

Finally he was released, and found a Church.  This man never heard of the Christian ways, but knew a very small bit, like that a Church normally belongs to Christians.  He walked in with that cardboard piece from the Bible and was so sad, told the Priest he wished there was more to it.  The Priest was ecstatic!  He was like there is! And he handed him the Complete Word, The Bible.  This man was jumping off the walls, seeing there was more. 

So there you have an example, (a true story by the way, I heard it from the Gideons while they were being interviewed on Moody a couple of months back) of a man who became a Christian without the Bible, BUT.....God lead him to the full thing. 

"Apologetics only leads the "horse" to the water. Only the Holy Spirit can make him drink."

"Judgement Day is not going to be so much God chasing down errant sinners and throwing them into hell, but rather God simply giving men what they have already chosen beforehand - either an eternity of the darkness they spent their lives hiding in or an eternity of the Light they spent their lives seeking out. -unknown"

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »
No 2 people can look at the same thing and see it from the same point of view.

EXACTLY!  This is why YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN, and receive the Holy Spirit.  Because it is God Who gives us the eyes to see and the ears to hear.  Otherwise, you'd know Christianity was fake, because no one would agree.  It would have fallen apart many, many years ago.  People wouldn't be accepting Jesus till this day (look at the Muslims in the Middle East), and still dying for Him and His Word, that is Written.  Jesus is the Word.  (John 1)

Further proof that God exists and His Word is TRUE, ALL of it.  Everyone who has accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior has the same story (different context of course), was miserable, and wretched  before, and then accepted Jesus and was given Peace and Joy.  Peace and Joy, Peace and Joy, that's the same story from every believer and follower of Jesus once receiving Him. 

Again, gotta make you think!

"Apologetics only leads the "horse" to the water. Only the Holy Spirit can make him drink."

"Judgement Day is not going to be so much God chasing down errant sinners and throwing them into hell, but rather God simply giving men what they have already chosen beforehand - either an eternity of the darkness they spent their lives hiding in or an eternity of the Light they spent their lives seeking out. -unknown"

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »

New Forum has been Added: "Christianity and Bible"

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 4
Views: 457
Last post February 13, 2006, 04:12:16 PM
by KhleeTa56
List of contradictions and absurdities in the bible (Judaeo-Christianity)

Started by CascadeBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 22
Views: 1341
Last post August 19, 2017, 08:04:05 AM
by Cascade
Bible Lesson

Started by ClaridyBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 14
Views: 2762
Last post March 08, 2006, 12:09:20 PM
by Claridy
**Bible Studies** Week One