Author Topic: Bible Lesson  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
Bible Lesson
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:55:38 PM »
I just thought this was so important for everyone to see, I get these verses everyday from a really good friend.  One of my favorite verses of all time.  And the quote is really good to think about in our own lives as well.  We must build each other up all the time, not tear down each other. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Hebrews 3:12-14 --
See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our hearts turn away from the living God when we stubbornly refuse to believe him. If we persist in our unbelief, God will eventually leave us alone in our sin. But God can give us new hearts, new desires and new spirits. To prevent having an unbelieving heart, stay in fellowship with other believers, talk daily about your mutual faith, be aware of the deceitfulness of sin (it attracts but also destroys) and encourage each other with love and concern.

"What is the value of the grace we profess to receive which leaves us exactly the same kind of people as we were before we received it? An unholy life is an evidence of an unchanged heart and an unchanged heart is an evidence of an unsaved soul."

---Charles Spurgeon

"Apologetics only leads the "horse" to the water. Only the Holy Spirit can make him drink."

"Judgement Day is not going to be so much God chasing down errant sinners and throwing them into hell, but rather God simply giving men what they have already chosen beforehand - either an eternity of the darkness they spent their lives hiding in or an eternity of the Light they spent their lives seeking out. -unknown"

Offline Ankido

Re: Bible Lesson
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:52:38 PM »
Claridy,

That's a beautiful verse from Hebrews, good quote from Spurgeon as well.  What i got from the verse is that we are all a family that should be caring for each other.  Since it is possible to be decieved by sin and our hearts may become hardened, we all the more need daily encouragement and help from each other.  Of course needless to say that we all need our daily converse with our Lord and God Jesus Christ to give us strength and Grace, but at the same time we need to build each other up. 

Hebrews 10:24 I love this verse;

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works. 

The world and everyone who is unsaved are drifting further and further from God and His ways.  Its becoming harder for us to keep our heart and mind pure before God, that is why we need to think about our brothers and sisters in Christ, lest they fall.
To him who is afflicted, kindness should be shown by his friend, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.  Job 6:14

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »
You know something.  I've worked in Corporate America for some time now.  I've learned a lot about selling.  I had read a book once that was called The Art with Dealing with People.  Do you know what that is?  It was a very small book and the message was about "stroking each others egos".  That is the art of dealing with people in the world.  Similar idea, only so much better with the Bible.  But here, we must build each other up!  Let's face it.  EVERYONE HAS INSECURITIES, ANXIETIES, AND STRESS.  We all worry about what each other is thinking.  In turn, let's not tear each other down as I see so much in this forum.  Let's build each other up and be good to each other.  Why the hurts?  God is so good to us.  There are so many people worse off in this world.  We need each other.  Isn't that the concept of the Church?  A member of the Body of Christ?  What can a hand do with out an eye?  What can a body do without two legs?  We become limited.  Right?
"Apologetics only leads the "horse" to the water. Only the Holy Spirit can make him drink."

"Judgement Day is not going to be so much God chasing down errant sinners and throwing them into hell, but rather God simply giving men what they have already chosen beforehand - either an eternity of the darkness they spent their lives hiding in or an eternity of the Light they spent their lives seeking out. -unknown"

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 08:42:47 AM »
Claridy Claridy Claridy, you are fast becoming my favourite AVNer.  A beautiful mind indeed.
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (*1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 11:43:30 AM »
Hey, God has blessed me with wisdom and I just want to share the knowledge I have!  Thank you!  Nice to see people reading what I write. 

Offline John_5_24

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:54:46 PM »
Dang Moja, I know I am not as good looking as Claridy, but I thought I was your favorite AVNer??  What gives brother?  :)
Rom 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Offline Renee

• Summer lovin', had me a blast
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 09:07:44 PM »
To me, although this all sounds great, it also strikes me as a tad idealist.

It's nice to think that if you build someone up, that they will be a tower. Ever notice when you give someone a compliment and they can't accept it or shrug it off? You can't build someone up unless they are willing to be built upon. Most people don't think and behave as those within corporate America do.

This doesn't mean that WE can't or shouldn't say nice things to people, just don't be unrealistic with your expectations.

How do you get a non-believer to even consider the body or concept of Christ? Practically speaking, how do you teach SOMEONE ELSE wisdom? I ask really wanting to know people's opinions ( I haven't got an answer in my head, waiting for you to repeat it to me).

Cheers.

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »
Renee, the way to show an unbeliever is behave as and follow Christ's example.  Treat them with love and listen to them.  Wisdom is taught by patience.  We MUST have patience and dye to ourselves.  Be selfless as Christ was.  Building someone up is a matter of being nice and encouring people, motivating them. How did Jesus do it?  Did He say you are so sinful and you are going to hell!, going into a conversation with Mary Magdalene?  Or did He not show Her love?  He became her friend.  Some scholars say this is the same Mary that had the sister Martha.  If that's the case, Jesus was very close to them.  He even went to their house to be their guest.  Either way, He befriended them.  He didn't judge her and accuse her of sleeping with all those men, when all those same men probably, wanted to stone her. 

I know in the Corporate world, even when I worked retail, people used to say you are so patient!  Even when I wanted to kill myself because they were taking sooooo long deciding on what they wanted.  I had to dye to myself and my needs to put others first.  God's rule is you reap what you sow.  If I am sowing bad behaviour to others, guess what I'm going to be getting back, if not TEN TIMES WORSE!  But, on the flip side, I'm nice to others and love being a little hostess with the mostess, God gives me back soooooooo much more!  I'm at peace with God, other people and myself!  AND I'M HAPPY!!!

Offline Renee

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 12:25:23 AM »
I totally agree that living by example is the most effect way to preech.

But I know from my own experiences, the reeping what you sow, is not something that necessairly applies to my time here on earth. The times I was living by example, the most, those are the times I reeped something very different to what I was sowing...if you get my meaning.

But herein lies the lessons I learnt. You see, we're all different and although behaving as christ did with mary Magdalene worked on her, it will not work on all. That is why the Bible also tells you to walk into a man's home with a pure heart and if you are not welcomed, dust your feet off and leave.  Sometimes that's the approach we have to adopt.

Patients and strength coupled with wisdom is what we need...I think the serenity prayer they use in AA meetings sums it up...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

That's just the first bit, but I think it sums it up well.

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 12:35:00 AM »
You are right Renee, Scripture also tells us not to share our pearls with swine.  We are called to plant seeds, but if no one wants to hear, then we do dust our feet off and let God take care of the rest.  Even Jesus left His hometown when He wasn't welcomed there!  My goodness!  They had God in the flesh in their homes and they didn't want Him there.  How many times have you seen people just totally write off God?   Their Creator!  God has shown me so much, I can't even begin to tell you!  People don't even know.  The problem is that sometimes people see things in the natural relm.  They don't want to expand to the Supernatural.  Did you know that the word agnostic in Greek means ignoramus?  Being ignorant is so bad.  We have to open our minds to other possiblities.  People say that Christians have a narrow frame of mind.  I think it's the opposite.  Someone very close to me was open, very open.  She also has the sixth sense. There is so much that is out there and that I've experienced.  For people not to give God a chance to work in their lives is short changing themselves.  God dosen't need us, He loves us as His Children.  But we do need Him, very much!

Offline Renee

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 12:43:22 AM »
I've had some interesting conversations with people that don't believe in Christ.

With this one particular situation I'm thinking about...the person I was speaking to had all this ideas about what Christians are like and then sat there and told me how we're close minded and we paint everyone with the same brush. I just looked at her and said, 'ah so ALL us Christians are like that are we? We ALL believe in our religion blindly? We're ALL stupid unenlightened individuals, are we? Shame on ALL of us for painting all of you with the same brush'.

I like being categorised and stereotyped as a Christian...you have more of an impact when you can show that you actually understand what's being taught, that you actually make a DECISION to believe

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 12:57:29 AM »
YES!  I know what you mean.  I feel so embarrased when I see someone calling themselves Christian and SO ARE NOT!  Like there are so many TV Evangelists that are so shady.  And they bring God into it.  I feel so sorry for them come Judgment day.  They will have led so many blind people into a pit.  But to actually show people diffrent!  And to show Christ!  It's not easy.  I'm struggling today with that.  But God is Soveirgn.  And He prevails!  That's why I HAVE to be in the Word, praying and making sure I'm in line with God constantly!  It's a daily battle, I tell ya.  That stupid devil dosen't let up.  And He won't either.  God allows him to have bad things in our lives happen. Although He isn't the author of evil, it is allowed.  No matter what the trial, God is always there right besides us.  He told me that personally!  I had to pray for Him to make His voice clear to me (sometimes I can really be a brat and ignore!)  becuase the devil was giving me false hope.  The devil had me think God loves my friends more than He loves me.  That I'm nothing.  I just prayed, God please talk to me!  And He did.  That same Sunday, the Pastor said the same exact words that were running through my mind!  What the devil likes for you to believe.  I couldn't be happier that God spoke to me.  And He'll do it through different ways too!  And that Pastor said, but God says in the Word that He'll never leave us nor forsake us.  And can I just say, I'll never, ever forget that again!  God is so Awesome if we let Him be.  That's the point.  We must let Him.  Renee, I'm so glad you are talking to me about this.  I love sharing God with people.  Thank you!   :bigarmhug:

Offline Renee

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 01:30:39 AM »
Thank you Claridy  :bigarmhug:

The other day i was talking to my cousin about God and she mentioned the old saying 'god works in mysterious ways' and it hit me like a lightening...I said 'not so mysterious, we just have to listen'.

He makes it so clear for us but we just need to be still, open (eyes/ears/hearts) and we hear the message clearly.

Check your pm soon  :mrgreen:

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 05:37:44 AM »
Dang Moja, I know I am not as good looking as Claridy, but I thought I was your favorite AVNer??  What gives brother?  :)

Since when?  LOL

A camel has more chance of going through the eye of a needle than a rich man into the kingdom of God.  By the same token, an Italian soccer fan has more chance of being my favourite AVNer than a person who agrees with George Bush's policies.  :lmao:

I do like your input into this section though.  Ok ok ok, I will make you number 2.

As for the points brought up by Renee regarding athiests/agnostics, I tend to agree with Claridy (I know you are bored of being this all the time) in that leading by example is the best way.  I also agree with Renee (now that is a rare occasion) that those who refuse to take it in, just dust off your shoes and walk away.  Here in Japan, this is a constant battle.  And the people I mix with are mainly American/Canadan/Australian (unfortunately not enough Romanians  LOL).  Their picture of what a Christian is out of this world.  I can't understand what type of upbringing they have had to derive that Christians = Boring and lifeless people.  I am one of the biggest party animals in Tokushima City and pretty well known, but I am also a Christian.  I know how to have fun but I know the boundaries as well.  It is amazing how people freak out when they see that I wear a gold cross around my neck.  They ask me why I wear it and I tell them it was a present from my cousin many years ago and when they get that I am a Christian, many of them stop talking to me.  It is like the past means nothing and all the fun times mean nothing because Christian automatically makes me boring.  But those people are not worth my time.  Most of the people, whilst they freak out, accept me as I am.  Now those people, I can lead by example.  I am constantly asked why I am in a good mood (I have been the happiest person alive in the last 3 years and on a high) and I tell them that if God wants me to be miserable, he will give me something to make me miserable out.  Till then I stay happy.  All I can d is lead by example.  I am not as much of a biblical scholar as some of you guys in here (I am working on that though) and I hope through that, I will be in a stronger position to lead more people by example. 
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (*1994, 2006 and 2010).

Offline Claridy

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »
Good attitude MojaMoja.  And thanks for the many compliments.  I SO disagree that being Christian means that you can't have fun.  My goodness, my best friends are good Christians that all have fun and are one of the most funnest people to be around.  And I can relate to what you said, knowing God has made me such a living being.  People always ask me why I'm smiling.  It's because God put that smile on my face!  Even when I am going through terrible times.  Trust me, I'm one to wear my emotions on my sleeve.  People know if something is bothering me.  But regardless, I still smile.  Again, we have to lead by example. Show people they are wrong by action and not by words.  So many christians have brought the Christian name down.  The term Christian came up as a derogatory word.  The word in itself means Christ freak, or Jesus freak.  I am a freak in that sense, someone who follows Christ because He is an oddity.  He is Set Apart, Holy and Good.  He is God.  I love my Lord with all my heart.  And, I also love dwelling in the place of the Most High.  Praying does that for me.  I don't want to come down sometimes.  When people get to know me, they tell me I'm not crazy like the other (legalistic) Christians.  My Pastor says a lot of good things, but one thing he said the other day was.....The difference between having a RELATIONSHIP with God versus being LEGALISTIC is that, your focus is on God when you have a relationship with God.  Being legalistic means that you are trying to GAIN favor from God.  A legalistic person says, look God!  Look at all these things that you told me to do and I'm doing it.....WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR ME NOW???  There are so many legalistic Christians, and those are the ones that need to come down from their high horse.  No one should think they are better than others.  JESUS WAS SELFLESS!!!! Meaning, He put others first!!! Not Himself.  Amen?

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »

**Bible Studies** Week One

Started by ReneeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 29
Views: 4026
Last post January 26, 2006, 03:37:48 AM
by Senator_Danavi
Reading the Bible

Started by ReneeBoard Religion and Spirituality

Replies: 23