Author Topic: I'm new here!  (Read 591 times)

Offline carlos7ja

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
I'm new here!
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:10:48 PM »
Shlama loukhun,

i'm carlos, assyrian (germany)

my father is assyrian and my mother is syroyo.
i'm here to find my people. unfortunately i can't speak assyrian. well i never got the chance to learn it from my father due to my study situations.
i know couple of phrases. but i'm here to get to know my people and learn my fathers language.
will somebody help me? :)

---------------------------------------------------------
My assyrian blood is 6767 years old
----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mr. Tambourine Man

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
Re: I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:28:28 PM »
Shlama Carlos, welcome!
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline KingA

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »
Welcome!

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »

Offline Kelba

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:19:04 PM »
Welcome!

What's your favorite Assyrian food?

Offline Sharukinu

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:47 AM »
Shlama loukhun,

i'm carlos, assyrian (germany)

my father is assyrian and my mother is syroyo.
i'm here to find my people. unfortunately i can't speak assyrian. well i never got the chance to learn it from my father due to my study situations.
i know couple of phrases. but i'm here to get to know my people and learn my fathers language.
will somebody help me? :)

Shlama / Shlomo

Glad to have you here Carlos. The first thing you should realise is that saying "my father is assyrian and my mother is syroyo" is kind of like saying "my father is English and my mother is from London". I presume your dad speaks the eastern dialect and your mother speaks the western dialect.

I will be glad to help you and I will send you a personal message.

As for what constitutes an Assyrian dialect: All of the coloured regions below except for the green area, certainly represent Assyrian dialects. The Green area is a very strange case were it seems they too apparently refer to themselves as Assyrians using their own endonyms but being isolated and unique to the other Assyrian dialects, this raises many questions. To be fair, I haven't look into their case in enough depth to come to any firm understanding.

If your mother calls Assyrian Lishono Suryoyo/Suroyo whereas your father calls Assyrian Lishana Suryaya/Suraya then your mother is probably from the red region whereas your father is from a coloured region east of that.

β€œIt is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another.”

― Titus Livy

Offline carlos7ja

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
Welcome!

What's your favorite Assyrian food?

Dekhwa! walaw! :)

Offline carlos7ja

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »
Shlama / Shlomo

Glad to have you here Carlos. The first thing you should realise is that saying "my father is assyrian and my mother is syroyo" is kind of like saying "my father is English and my mother is from London". I presume your dad speaks the eastern dialect and your mother speaks the western dialect.

As for what constitutes an Assyrian dialect: All of the coloured regions below except for the green area, certainly represent Assyrian dialects. The Green area is a very strange case were it seems they too apparently refer to themselves as Assyrians using their own endonyms but being isolated and unique to the other Assyrian dialects, this raises many questions. To be fair, I haven't look into their case in enough depth to come to any firm understanding.

If your mother calls Assyrian Lishono Suryoyo/Suroyo whereas your father calls Assyrian Lishana Suryaya/Suraya then your mother is probably from the red region whereas your father is from a coloured region east of that.

Thank you very much for the information. We are one people but we speak different dialects thats true..
I don't really like to differentiate between chaldanen or assyrian or seryoyo, we are one people aramaic ppl.

if u wanna trace my assyrian DNA, it goes back to Iraq since WW1, and from my mothers side i guess from turkey. But my current (present) big family is all scattered around the world, USA, Sweden, Germany, Syria, Australia, and Lebanon.

I used to visit syriac church with my mother when i was a kid, i know how to pray, abuna d bashmayo. and i realized it is also the same in assyrian but the ending of the word is different., like   teyteh malkutakh (assyrian) vs teytet malkutuok (syriac.)

i would be very happy, if i get to learn the language here.

Offline carlos7ja

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
Shlama / Shlomo

and yes my father calls it Suraya
alot of my relatives asked me in assyrian ( msawet suraya ) and too bad i couldnt answer them just with (khacha)

Offline Joe25

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 10:26:05 AM »
That's a great ancestry to have and you're in a unique position to learn both dialects.

Btw nice chart you posted there Sharukinu.

Offline Mr. Tambourine Man

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 10:37:18 AM »

Thank you very much for the information. We are one people but we speak different dialects thats true..
I don't really like to differentiate between chaldanen or assyrian or seryoyo, we are one people aramaic ppl.

if u wanna trace my assyrian DNA, it goes back to Iraq since WW1, and from my mothers side i guess from turkey. But my current (present) big family is all scattered around the world, USA, Sweden, Germany, Syria, Australia, and Lebanon.

I used to visit syriac church with my mother when i was a kid, i know how to pray, abuna d bashmayo. and i realized it is also the same in assyrian but the ending of the word is different., like   teyteh malkutakh (assyrian) vs teytet malkutuok (syriac.)

i would be very happy, if i get to learn the language here.

I understand the complexity of your situation. Being an Assyrian of the Chaldean religious adherence, my dialect is rife with Arabic loanwords and the pronunciation amongst Chaldeans is very different to that of non-Chaldean Assyrian.

I really would like Ashoor to add an 'Assyrian' forum, much like the Arabic forum we have, where we exclusively speak in our tongue and have a corresponding translation posted by whomever is commenting. I think it's better for all Assyrians to learn from each other and further strengthen their speaking ability.

I'd probably not have us read and write in Aramaic, but have just the Neo-Aramaic words typed in english and then actually have an english translation; 'Khmara = Donkey'.
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline carlos7ja

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
I understand the complexity of your situation. Being an Assyrian of the Chaldean religious adherence, my dialect is rife with Arabic loanwords and the pronunciation amongst Chaldeans is very different to that of non-Chaldean Assyrian.

I really would like Ashoor to add an 'Assyrian' forum, much like the Arabic forum we have, where we exclusively speak in our tongue and have a corresponding translation posted by whomever is commenting. I think it's better for all Assyrians to learn from each other and further strengthen their speaking ability.

I'd probably not have us read and write in Aramaic, but have just the Neo-Aramaic words typed in english and then actually have an english translation; 'Khmara = Donkey'.

yup i think it's a good idea, sometimes i listen to translated songs of Ewan Agassi or Sargon Gabriel, they do help n I do get it! :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:20:31 PM by carlos7ja »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 08:07:35 PM »
Dekhwa! walaw! :)
I love dekhwa too. ;)

What about bomya?
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline carlos7ja

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »
I love dekhwa too. ;)

What about bomya?

yup bamye with overcooked lamb w rez (rice) it's amazing! :D