Author Topic: If we Build an Assyrian Library, will you Give us your Books?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
If we Build an Assyrian Library, will you Give us your Books?
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »
-Assyrians were the first in history to create a library, something I have been very fascinated and proud of.
-Two Years ago, I wrote an article about how Assyrians should have a central library to preserve their history, identity and records. Click here to read that article
-Earlier this year, Assyrian Voice opened a new section titled 'Assyrian Voice Library' which is a central reference place, to quickly learn about major Assyrian people, events, history, cities, celebrities etc.

Based on the trend from the above points, my next move is to actually build an Assyrian library. That is to collect as many Assyrian books as possible. For now, I will collect them in my house, but we can find a central location for them and invite people to come and read and even borrow these books.

If I create such a thing, would you be willing to send me the Assyrian books you own (in any language) ? I know we all love our books, and it is not easy to just give them to someone else. But this for a great educational and academic cause, that can greatly serve a new generation, and educate them in everything Assyrian.

I haven't started anything yet, and personally, I barely have about 10 Assyrian books (written in Assyrian, Arabic, English) but I think with the help of everyone, we can get there.

It is a shame that the people who built the first library for humanity, wouldn't have a library themselvs.

Please reply with any suggestions on how we can make such a project a reality? And if you are not willing to give me your books, how can I get the books? remember, some books are not easy to find and buy, so we will rely on others to give them to us.

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:44:09 AM by ASHOOR »

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
Re: If we Build an Assyrian Library, will you Give us your Books?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 11:19:39 AM »
Ninib Lamassu, the director of the Firodil Institute plan to creat an assyrian libery in the university of Cambridge. He said it on a seminar in Germany on 08 November 2008.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:19:57 AM by John_86 »
The Rights of Assyrians -UN Declaration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDtB12aA8I

The existence of the Assyrian Nation & Nationality is a fact
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
Ninib Lamassu, the director of the Firodil Institute plan to creat an assyrian libery in the university of Cambridge. He said it on a seminar in Germany on 08 November 2008.

Really, never heard about this. And if he does go on to create it, then I hope people can contribue any Assyrian books they have, to build this library and expand it.

We need to have a library, doesn't matter where it is. It is a need!

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »

Offline xxSanhoxx

• Assyrian Youth Federation of Middle Europe
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
Yes, they want to collect every book about assyrians and digitized them. they asked our people for the books, as a gift or only for the digizited time, after that they will get their books back... the firodil and the univeristy of cambridge (best university outside of USA in the world) are working together. The Center of the Library will be in Cambridge. For more question, email the firodil institue.. http://www.firodil.co.uk/

a website for the library is under construction too, in the name of the university..

Please, if you want do the same, work togehter!

Shlome
"..To be an Assyrian is to feel: The past is my heritage I shall forget it not; the present, my responsibility; the future, my challenge." - Dr. David Barsum Perley

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »
Thanks guys, you are awesome. Now this is what I am talking about. I will certainly help in any way I can. Please give me the website when it is ready.

ASHOOR

Offline GodismyJudge

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
WOw. This is great. I can't wait. Man Nineb is amazing. Also a really nice guy and when he talks you can't stop listening. He tells great stories. He also gave us a tour through the British Museum when we were there :D.
I am an Assyrian today, tomorrow, forever, and I am proud of it.

Offline gunner

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 09:52:20 PM »
what a great idea. I wish I could contribute. I don't really have anything, except one book about the history of Mongolia which makes passing remarks about the presence of Nestorian missionaries in that region. I guess every bit counts..lol

Offline Concerned Assyrian

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 03:33:43 AM »
We already have a library.

The 'Ashurbanipal Library' which is in Chicago.
Disunited, dispersed in exile, and as dwindling minorities without full civil rights in their homelands, the Assyrians of today are in grave danger of total assimilation and extinction. In order to survive as a nation, they must now unite under the Assyrian identity of their ancestors. It is the only identity that can help them to transcend the differences between them, speak with one voice again, catch the attention of the world, and regain their place among the nations. Dr Simo Parpola

Offline chaldean

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 04:15:23 AM »
Its funny you bring this up Ashoor, because I was thinking of doing the same thing here in Ankawa. Our people are not taught about their history here in the Iraqi schools. Its a shame and I don't blame them for not knowing anything about their past.
I Love Assyria

Offline xxSanhoxx

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:05:45 AM »
We have to work in this project togehter.

A aim, vision, idea is, to create a Master's in "Modern Assyrian Science", because it dont exist. On the digitizid based library, we will reach a big step for this aim..

Can you believe to read every assyrian book online? :) i love the idea!

For more Informations please contact the Firodil Institut:
http://www.firodil.co.uk/6.html

For example, a work by Prof. Geoffrey Alan Khan, from the University of Cambridge:
http://nena.ames.cam.ac.uk/index-new.php
http://www.research-horizons.cam.ac.uk/features/endangered-dialects-of-aramaic.aspx

Shlome
"..To be an Assyrian is to feel: The past is my heritage I shall forget it not; the present, my responsibility; the future, my challenge." - Dr. David Barsum Perley

Offline chaldean

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:53:33 PM »
Would they let you?

I think they would, as long as you don't affilicate it and yourself with any opposition party.
I Love Assyria

Offline xxSanhoxx

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »
Who have enough time to read books about assyrians?

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=assyrian

have fun!  :mrgreen:

(you can search about other things too, and their  are many names where you can find books about us.. and some other websites which have a large archive...)

shlome

Offline Salem

• Special Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
Thanks guys for letting us know about the Frodil institute's project. I have over 25 books mostly in English, a couple OOPs in there, and I would gladly send them any books they require to add to their collection.

I give my full support to Mar Dinkha and the assyrian Church

Started by BLUEICEBoard Culture & History

Replies: 14
Views: 2121
Last post January 20, 2006, 08:05:13 AM
by Rima
Assyrian Books need your opinion

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 13
Views: 1864
Last post October 17, 2006, 10:28:37 AM
by dlty01
Useful Assyrian Genocide & historical books

Started by YounanBoard Culture & History

Replies: 7
Views: 1910
Last post January 08, 2007, 03:21:42 PM
by dlty01
Assyrian Voice Library now Open for Testing

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 4
Views: 424
Last post June 06, 2008, 09:46:50 AM
by Pumpkin
Order Some Assyrian Books from Gorgias Press NOW!!!

Started by KhIgGaAaAaAaBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 0
Views: 371
Last post December 27, 2007, 10:54:01 PM
by KhIgGaAaAaAa