Author Topic: Assyrian language curriculum for non Speakers?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Alda B.

• Mar Qayoma, Barwar
Assyrian language curriculum for non Speakers?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Hello,
I am teaching Assyrian to Assyrians who generally do not speak the language.  Therefore they are interested in learning not only how to read and write but to speak (the Eastern Dialect) as well.  The books I have are generally composed for speakers of the language (i.e. Middle Eastern Assyrians).  Do we have a curriculum that addresses the needs of non-Assyrian speakers?  If so I would really appreciate it if you can share the title(s) with me!

Alda

Offline ISay

Re: Assyrian language curriculum for non Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:13:38 PM »
Hello,
I am teaching Assyrian to Assyrians who generally do not speak the language.  Therefore they are interested in learning not only how to read and write but to speak (the Eastern Dialect) as well.  The books I have are generally composed for speakers of the language (i.e. Middle Eastern Assyrians).  Do we have a curriculum that addresses the needs of non-Assyrian speakers?  If so I would really appreciate it if you can share the title(s) with me!

Alda

Hi Alda,

I'm not aware of any good books that teach the language to non-native speakers.  However, I think there is a university level program (with its own textbooks I assume) that teaches modern Eastern Assyrian for those who live in or near the Detroit area in the U.S.  Here is a link to the website:

http://www.aramaicstudies.com/

Offline jonadona

• Golden Member
  • The town is back that way!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
University of Detroit Mercy offers an accredited course.  I can find out for you who's teaching the class if you're interested in speaking with them (they call it Neo-Aramaic because the Chaldean church is involved).
turbulence is a fluid regime characterized by chaotic, stochastic property changes.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »

Offline Alda B.

• Mar Qayoma, Barwar
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »
Thank you Isay and Jonadona. 

Jonadona - if you can put me in touch with them or figure out where we can purchase their book it would be great!

Alda

Offline AramaicStudies

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »
Thank you for your interest in Aramaic Studies,  I am the director of the program and to respond to the gentlemen's comment regarding Neo-Aramaic, we are not affiliated with any church or political organization.  This program is provided by University of Detroit Mercy with the help of the Ishtar Cultural Center which is a community center for our people in Detroit. 

Alda, I had spoken to Zaya of ACSSU to put together a distant learning class in Canada.  We are now expanding to Online courses in the fall, and will have the program available in San Jose, CA by summer of 2010.  We encourage the spread of these course which are accredited and transferable to almost all Universities.  If you are interested in bringing the course to Canada please contact me direct at Info@aramaicstudies.com

Thank you,
Lawrence Mansourßßß

Offline Alda B.

• Mar Qayoma, Barwar
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:47:36 PM »
Lawrence,
This is great I didn't know you were involved.  I will contact you. 

Alda

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:37:02 PM »
Hello,

Alda

I would probably need that book, the problem with me is, I do speak but I can´t read or write on our language.

Looking for Assyrian Language Speakers in Chicago

Started by ChicagoStudentBoard Assyrian Language Center

Replies: 2
Views: 710
Last post April 09, 2011, 09:28:43 PM
by mrzurnaci
Assyrian language

Started by BraTeiLBoard Culture & History

Replies: 2
Views: 1314
Last post January 24, 2006, 07:06:28 PM
by BraTeiL
mostly used letters in the assyrian language

Started by DaggoBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 14
Views: 2018
Last post October 25, 2016, 10:58:45 PM
by Cascade
The Assyrian Language

Started by AtourBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1547
Last post October 23, 2016, 09:46:04 AM
by Cascade
Assyrian language???

Started by PhiruelBoard Culture & History

Replies: 1
Views: 1241
Last post June 14, 2006, 04:06:32 AM
by mechwarrior
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 29 - 939KB. (show)
Queries used: 26.

[Show Queries]