Author Topic: Is Janan Sawa a Legend?  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Sam CA

Re: Is Janan Sawa a Legend?
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
No he's NOT a legend... Not even close to be anywhere in that category. I totally agree that he has a place and purpose...You wouldn't want to play Ashur's songs in a wedding. I mean you could but eventually you want that sheikhani and khiga and so on and so forth. Janan serves that purpose very well. All I hear is zourna/Turkish/Arabic strings without much creativity. He's no inspiration to me at all. How many songs does he have that can actually be arranged and played with a real orchestra?

If you disagree, please do post his best 5 songs. I would love to check out their melodic and harmonic content.

Ashur IS a LEGEND indeed! This man has real musical content for sure.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:48:34 PM by Sam CA »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »
No he's NOT a legend... Not even close to be anywhere in that category. I totally agree that he has a place and purpose...You wouldn't want to play Ashur's songs in a wedding. I mean you could but eventually you want that sheikhani and khiga and so on and so forth. Janan serves that purpose very well. All I hear is zourna/Turkish/Arabic strings without much creativity. He's no inspiration to me at all. How many songs does he have that can actually be arranged and played with a real orchestra?

If you disagree, please do post his best 5 songs. I would love to check out their melodic and harmonic content.

Ashur IS a LEGEND indeed! This man has real musical content for sure.
Very well said.

My only favourite Janan song is Zerineh from his 1987 album. And it's still quite Kurdish influenced.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Sam CA

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »

... Zerineh from his 1987 album....

Just checked it out:

Yep! Basically a kurdish song. The main melody is 8 bars long and gets repeated over and over for like 5 minutes. Entire song comes down to this: 0:36 - 0:48

It's probably a fun folk song so obviously you don't expect an extensive melody from the original idea....but that's exactly when artistry and musicianship comes in. It's what you can do with that melody.
I don't really see a difference between his party songs and album recordings. I'm not trying to offend anyone though...Just thinking out loud.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 10:43:53 PM »
Just checked it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVblv11e8pY

Yep! Basically a kurdish song. The main melody is 8 bars long and gets repeated over and over for like 5 minutes. Entire song comes down to this: 0:36 - 0:48

It's probably a fun folk song so obviously you don't expect an extensive melody from the original idea....but that's exactly when artistry and musicianship comes in. It's what you can do with that melody.
I don't really see a difference between his party songs and album recordings. I'm not trying to offend anyone though...Just thinking out loud.

It does use a looped chord progression. But I gotta that its chords are really interesting, reminiscent of the Dorian mode. The song continuously alters between D major chord and D minor at the beginning of its verses (common in Assyrian music for some reason, simultaneously altering the minor fourth chord to a major chord), where it then ultimately goes back to the root key of A minor. It's like Dorian mode with added "colour" (since A Dorian doesn't have an F major chord).
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Janan Sawa Zorna Dawola Vol.21 2006

Started by sargongabrielBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 28
Views: 3361
Last post March 27, 2006, 08:33:49 AM
by atourina
janan sawa discography

Started by chaldean19Board Assyrian

Replies: 4
Views: 2250
Last post January 02, 2008, 04:44:33 AM
by chaldean19
Hi guyz i was wondering does anyone hav Janan Sawa Solaveh video Clip

Started by assyrianramboBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 0
Views: 668
Last post June 10, 2006, 02:20:18 AM
by assyrianrambo
Janan Sawa Party in Detroit (more pics!!!)

Started by Nat927Board Chit Chat

Replies: 58
Views: 3360
Last post October 19, 2006, 09:32:12 AM
by AssyrianPrince21
Does anyone know where i can download Janan Sawa - Hekla Tlekha ?

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 0
Views: 694
Last post December 17, 2006, 02:52:58 AM
by Free_Assyria