Author Topic: how to represent numbers in Sureth?  (Read 354 times)

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
how to represent numbers in Sureth?
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »
I know how to do numbers in sureth but how would I mix it with normal writing where the numbers are actually distinguishable?

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: how to represent numbers in Sureth?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
bump because this is important for to help me update my big chart.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:31:43 AM »
Assyrians have their own number system?
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:31:43 AM »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
Assyrians have their own number system?

yea but we just use the alphabet. I'm trying to think how would numbers and letters be mixed? There has to be some kind of notation that tells the reader "this is regular letters and these are letters used as numerals"

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
There has to be some kind of notation that tells the reader "this is regular letters and these are letters used as numerals"
I don't mean to upset you, but I don't think there is a way to seperate the two. I'm not a pro, so I hope Carlo can help or someone else.. cause I think Carlo was always very into such stuff. He was the genius when it came to language.

But I'm like 90% sure that one can't tell the difference between "letters as numbers" and "letters as letters", cause the other day I was looking at this picture and there was a sentence written under it and I couldn't read this one specific word cause it was a mixture of letters that made no sense (yoth and dallath and something else), so I took a look at the translation and it was a date (the letters were numerals representing a year).
Also, when my mom used to teach me the "numeral system" when I was a kid, she never mentioned "how to know whether this is a number or a letter"..

But like I said.. I'm not 100% sure!

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:54:41 PM »
I don't mean to upset you, but I don't think there is a way to seperate the two. I'm not a pro, so I hope Carlo can help or someone else.. cause I think Carlo was always very into such stuff. He was the genius when it came to language.

But I'm like 90% sure that one can't tell the difference between "letters as numbers" and "letters as letters", cause the other day I was looking at this picture and there was a sentence written under it and I couldn't read this one specific word cause it was a mixture of letters that made no sense (yoth and dallath and something else), so I took a look at the translation and it was a date (the letters were numerals representing a year).
Also, when my mom used to teach me the "numeral system" when I was a kid, she never mentioned "how to know whether this is a number or a letter"..

But like I said.. I'm not 100% sure!

If that's the case, we need some kind of notation that let's a reader know that this set of letters is to be read as numerals, not normal letters!

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
If that's the case, we need some kind of notation that let's a reader know that this set of letters is to be read as numerals, not normal letters!
I agree

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
I agree

I have one idea, how using some kind of thing like a small version of the letter 'meem' to denote that these letters are menyuta and put another tiny meem at the end of the numbers?

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
I have one idea, how using some kind of thing like a small version of the letter 'meem' to denote that these letters are menyuta and put another tiny meem at the end of the numbers?

That's not a bad idea! ..maybe one can put the "meem" in brackets to denote it's a number after the letters are written.. like this e.g.--> 1990 (m)

But of course the numbers and letter meem will all be in Assyrian.. something like this (ܐܫܘܪܝܐ (ܡ

But I just can't help figure that someone might come up with even a more brilliant plan! Like invent something completely new to refer to numbers. And I'm NOT talking about inventing whole new numbers by creating other signs!!!... I'm just saying inventing something to tell us that the numbers we already got are numbers when written and not "letters/words"..

How many numbers do you have in your phonebook?

Started by rumrumBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 29
Views: 1657
Last post February 27, 2006, 06:02:10 PM
by Phenomenon
Emergency Numbers from the Bible

Started by .CaNdLe.Board Culture & History

Replies: 3
Views: 1561
Last post October 19, 2005, 08:27:28 AM
by JohnSydney
Isreali supporters what do you think of these numbers?

Started by skipperBoard Culture & History

Replies: 29
Views: 4017
Last post November 08, 2005, 09:40:47 PM
by Hebrew
Which AVNers Represent which Cities?

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 138
Views: 6731
Last post November 10, 2005, 08:22:09 AM
by GodismyJudge
Nas And Jay-Z - Dead Presidents Represent Me - Download