Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Assyrian Language Center / Re: Assyrian Alphabet
« Last post by Nemrud on Today at 08:51:53 AM »
First of all, you just said that whoever thinks "Suroyo is ugly they're incorrect" in your previous post. This is your opinion, but you're stating it as a fact. Yes, even what I said was an opinion. I may have sounded rude, but I was being really blunt - I really cannot stand Turoyo. But that doesn't mean I'm discriminatory against its speakers. Juliana Jendo sings in many dialects, but her most famous songs are in eastern Assyrian. Foreigners usually reference her eastern songs to me rather than the western ones. I would want BOTH languages to be the official languages as well as many Assyrians still speak Turoyo, but that doesn't mean one is not more unattractive than the other. In Syrian Kurdistan, Suroyo speakers are learning Suroyo and Suraya ones are learning eastern Assyrian.

They're wrong. Turoyo is an eastern Aramaic language. It's just a western "dialect" within the Assyrian spectrum.

P.S. What exactly is the "eh" sound? Can you write an example in Assyrian? Do you mean the "eh" in "malke" (kings)? Again, "throat cleaning" phonemes like ayn are much more prevalent in Arabic and Turoyo.

No l must have forget writing that that is just my opinion, but my cousin think the same. But for you to say "i cant stand turoyo" is very offensive, you are making it look like if your language is better than ours. No language is better than the other. The "ugly" sounds are Doheji, holme and more. You say alot of ihk, not even arabic have that or maybe any other language l know of. Suryoyo is clean, we dont use that sound at all. And sorry for that l didnt write better on my first post here yesterday. You might not notice it but l do, i wouldnt say your language is more prestige, some west assyrians doesnt even see us as the same people, for example yesterday when i said to my relative from germany who came to sweden for wedding, when he asked me if l am assyrian and l said yes he got angry, while l didnt say anything more being afraid we will talk fight or something he later said that the othoroye is also nice, the suryoye from germany clearly doesnt see us as the same people, they are arameans and you are assyrians. We are two different people according to aramean suryoye from germany. I am sad that i am just one of few assyrians that l know of of west assyrians on my relatives, the rest are arameans. It can happen that fight will be triggered when THEY get angry, but l have science to back me up. Beside i used to be aramean myself some years ago, insulting you under the name suryoyo4ever and neta1991, but l converted to assyrian. And i have grown up alot since then, going to university, finishing my history studies on university and have a job ,and popping money right know.
« Last post by SonOfAssyria on Today at 06:03:32 AM »
First of all, you just said that whoever thinks "Suroyo is ugly they're incorrect" in your previous post. This is your opinion, but you're stating it as a fact. Yes, even what I said was an opinion. I may have sounded rude, but I was being really blunt - I really cannot stand Turoyo. But that doesn't mean I'm discriminatory against its speakers. Juliana Jendo sings in many dialects, but her most famous songs are in eastern Assyrian. Foreigners usually reference her eastern songs to me rather than the western ones. I would want BOTH languages to be the official languages as well as many Assyrians still speak Turoyo, but that doesn't mean one is not more unattractive than the other. In Syrian Kurdistan, Suroyo speakers are learning Suroyo and Suraya ones are learning eastern Assyrian.

They're wrong. Turoyo is an eastern Aramaic language. It's just a western "dialect" within the Assyrian spectrum.

P.S. What exactly is the "eh" sound? Can you write an example in Assyrian? Do you mean the "eh" in "malke" (kings)? Again, "throat cleaning" phonemes like ayn are much more prevalent in Arabic and Turoyo.

Both dialects are beautiful in their own way.
« Last post by Cascade on Today at 05:03:08 AM »
First of all i dont hate your language, it is after all assyrian like mine, and l dont understand why you are being offensive. Second, the video you shown made me only realize that l am correct ACCORDING TO ME that west assyrian is more beautiful than east. The eh or iiih , i cant really pronounce it, she is saying is not beautiful at all, its like if shes cleaning her throat, no offence. I think you say its more beautiful because its your language. And the answer you gave me that east assyrian is the universal and standard language of the assyrians is incorrect for most parts, ever heard of juliana jendo? shes east assyrian and can speak both east and west assyrian...... also, if we had a country i would want BOTH languages to be official. And we are not learning east assyrian in syrian kurdistan, we are learning suroyo, not suraya.

1. A question for you, the "arameans" says turoyo or suroyo is west aramaic and not east, is this true? Because on wikipedia it says its east aramaic but on other sites it sometimes says east and sometimes west.....

I don't think they are wings, they are fins. But we could call it wings, beside dna have already proven that all people are connected, even with animals somehow.
They're fins of course. I was speaking colloquially.
Serious Topics and Discussions / Re: What are your thoughts on evolution?
« Last post by SonOfAssyria on Yesterday at 09:46:37 AM »
You're welcome. And always keep an open mind. :)

As should you :)
« Last post by Nemrud on Yesterday at 07:34:53 AM »
The flying fish example should be used as proof for creationists I believe. :)

Why would fish have, or want wings? Lol.

I don't think they are wings, they are fins. But we could call it wings, beside dna have already proven that all people are connected, even with animals somehow.
« Last post by Nemrud on Yesterday at 07:30:57 AM »
Eh as in the 'e' in "ten" or the throat 'e' in Arabic "e3n" (eye)? We lack the latter sound in most aspects. Some priests use it in formal speech, but the rest of us don't and would rather use it in Arabic loanwords like "3adi" (meaning "okay" or "normal"). If you mean the former than you have to hate 95% of language out there, because "eh" is a common sound. Btw, the "eh" in Arabic eye is ubiquitous in your language. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :mrgreen:

I beg to differ. If West Assyrian was so beautiful it would've been the standard, universal Assyrian language/dialect. But it isn't in most accounts. That's why most of our famous singers speak the eastern variant and most alphabet websites use eastern words. I think it's safe and fair to assume that the eastern dialect/language is more favoured and prestigious.

Let's be real, your words have no harmony. It's all just otho, loho, motho. The A's are strangely turned into O's. It sounds like a close sister of Arabic, but with not much 'A' sounds. And bro, don't get me started on how much guttural H and A sounds you have. I know I sound really surly. But to my ears, we sound much more clearer and limpid, at least compared to western Assyrian. :p

Eastern Assyrian (Suret):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJqms_eEUCI

Western Assyrian (Suroyo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXuLmRiw2hk

@Son of Assyria, I would personally say that they speak a different language. A very close language and slightly mutually intelligible, but disparate nonetheless. Think, Swedish and Danish. I find it insulting when people say Assyrian Neo-Aramaic is a dialect, alongside other modern Aramaic language. No, we are a language with dialects of our own (Jelu, Chaldean, Gawar, Tyari, etc). The Jewish Lishanid Nashan/Didan are also Assyrian dialects. Only Western Neo-Aramaic and Turoyo are different, but very closely related, languages.  :)

First of all i dont hate your language, it is after all assyrian like mine, and l dont understand why you are being offensive. Second, the video you shown made me only realize that l am correct ACCORDING TO ME that west assyrian is more beautiful than east. The eh or iiih , i cant really pronounce it, she is saying is not beautiful at all, its like if shes cleaning her throat, no offence. I think you say its more beautiful because its your language. And the answer you gave me that east assyrian is the universal and standard language of the assyrians is incorrect for most parts, ever heard of juliana jendo? shes east assyrian and can speak both east and west assyrian...... also, if we had a country i would want BOTH languages to be official. And we are not learning east assyrian in syrian kurdistan, we are learning suroyo, not suraya.

1. A question for you, the "arameans" says turoyo or suroyo is west aramaic and not east, is this true? Because on wikipedia it says its east aramaic but on other sites it sometimes says east and sometimes west.....
« Last post by Cascade on Yesterday at 05:28:10 AM »
Hmm that's pretty interesting. I'll have to research on this when I get a chance. Thanks for sharing!

This made me believe even more in evolution than before hahaha
The flying fish example should be used as proof for creationists I believe. :)

Why would fish have, or want wings? Lol.
I agree with ASHOOR. I've heard some of these supposed contradictions before and I know that they have been debunked. We could spend days going through each and every one of these contradictions. Most of these contradictions are usually translation errors or taken out of context.

"The Bible is full of contradictions" is a statement that is thrown around a lot. Instead of quickly jumping to the conclusion that the Bible is full of contradictions, if you actually looked up each one of those supposed contradictions you can find an answer for each one of them.

I think it would be good to have a thread regarding the Bible and God, or even multiple threads on specific things regarding God and the Bible. I'd like to see others' perspective on these things and maybe we can all learn something new :)
If the bible has translation errors then who knows many of its vital parts that Christians hold dear are huge errors as well?

Btw, I'm certain that in all of its translations the bible says insects have four legs. :p
« Last post by Cascade on Yesterday at 05:23:29 AM »
For those that say suryoyo is not as beautiful language as suraya, they are incorrect! Hearing assyrian made me realize that suryoyo is more beautiful, we for example dont have the eh sound in our language, the eh sound is so "ugly", its like if they are cleaning their throat. West assyrian is more clean than east. SO my conclusion is that west assyrian is more beautiful than east! What do you think?

Eh as in the 'e' in "ten" or the throat 'e' in Arabic "e3n" (eye)? We lack the latter sound in most aspects. Some priests use it in formal speech, but the rest of us don't and would rather use it in Arabic loanwords like "3adi" (meaning "okay" or "normal"). If you mean the former than you have to hate 95% of language out there, because "eh" is a common sound. Btw, the "eh" in Arabic eye is ubiquitous in your language. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :mrgreen:

I beg to differ. If West Assyrian was so beautiful it would've been the standard, universal Assyrian language/dialect. But it isn't in most accounts. That's why most of our famous singers speak the eastern variant and most alphabet websites use eastern words. I think it's safe and fair to assume that the eastern dialect/language is more favoured and prestigious.

Let's be real, your words have no harmony. It's all just otho, loho, motho. The A's are strangely turned into O's. It sounds like a close sister of Arabic, but with not much 'A' sounds. And bro, don't get me started on how much guttural H and A sounds you have. I know I sound really surly. But to my ears, we sound much more clearer and limpid, at least compared to western Assyrian. :p

Eastern Assyrian (Suret):

Western Assyrian (Suroyo):

@Son of Assyria, I would personally say that they speak a different language. A very close language and slightly mutually intelligible, but disparate nonetheless. Think, Swedish and Danish. I find it insulting when people say Assyrian Neo-Aramaic is a dialect, alongside other modern Aramaic language. No, we are a language with dialects of our own (Jelu, Chaldean, Gawar, Tyari, etc). The Jewish Lishanid Nashan/Didan are also Assyrian dialects. Only Western Neo-Aramaic and Turoyo are different, but very closely related, languages.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Templates: 3: index (default), Ads (default), Recent (default).
Sub templates: 10: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, main, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 10: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default), Aeva.english (default), Aeva.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 919KB. (show)
Queries used: 17.

[Show Queries]