Author Topic: Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial (DC)  (Read 1541 times)

Offline shamirum

• Golden Member
Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial (DC)
« on: November 13, 2006, 10:09:45 PM »
It gives me such great pleasure to post this article.

I admire many people in my life, especially my parents and people within my community, but a man like MLK, Jr. was an angel on earth who I can't seem to compare to anyone, except for the likes of the incredible Mahatma Gandhi. King’s message of non-violence, claiming human rights, and passionately fighting for your dreams with words and peaceful actions has shaped my entire being since I first learned of his miraculous existence at a mere five-years old.

My mom still tells me stories about how much Assyrians in Iraq loved this man and his movement, and the day they found out he was killed, and the way they mourned the loss of such an inspirational person. He was an example of something they understood so well: a people persecuted, beaten for living where they were not wanted, struggling through blatant oppression, marginalized because of their differences, but still rising up for the goal of justice, for love, for respect, for compassion, for humanity as it should be in this world. Truly a messenger from God above, his understanding of the words of the Lord allowed him to give them to us in ways that would revolutionize this country and still guide its future today.

God bless his soul, his family, and this new memorial.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building a Memorial to a Dream
Breaking Ground for DC Monument for Martin Luther King Jr.

By Quiana Burns

Nov. 13, 2006 — It was a crowd fit for a king. An estimated 5,000 people, including President George W. Bush, former President Bill Clinton and talk show host Oprah Winfrey gathered in the national mall today to help break ground for a memorial paying tribute to the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Dr. King showed us that a life of conscience and purpose can lift up many souls," Bush told the crowd. "And on this ground, a monument will rise that preserves his legacy for the ages."

The memorial will be the first ever to honor a person of color on the national mall. It will stand between the Jefferson and Lincoln memorials, not far from where King gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech in the summer of 1963.

"And by its presence in this place," Bush added, "it will unite the men who declared the promise of America and defended the promise of America with the man who redeemed the promise of America."

For more than three hours, friends, family and those who were simply inspired by Dr. King's message and life's work spoke about his lasting legacy. Winfrey said she lives in a perpetual state of gratitude to the civil rights pioneer.

"I am who I am because of the struggles of Dr. King, because of his leadership, because of his belief in hope for this country," Winfrey said. "My life is what it is because of his work."

Perhaps the most poignant moment came just as participants were about to shovel the first soil for the memorial onto the ground. With tears streaming from his eyes, King's close friend and fellow civil rights activist, Andrew Young, recalled his time with the spiritual leader. The Rev. Jesse Jackson cried with him as Young challenged onlookers to carry on the dream.

"As we turn the dirt in this ground, let us go back to our communities and turn the dirt and provide a clean and pure lifestyle for our children; and get rid of the crime. Bring forward the wisdom and the truth," Young said.

Dr. King's children were also on hand for today's ceremony, and spoke about seeing their father's dream of peace and justice realized in today's America.

"The hope is for generations yet unborn that young people will come here from all over the world and be inspired to go out and make a difference in our nation and world," eldest son Martin Luther King III told ABC News.

Their mother, Dr. King's widow, Coretta Scott King, died earlier this year.

The reality of a King memorial, however, is not firmly set in stone. Only $69.4 million of the $100 million needed to build the memorial has been raised so far. The organizers hope that contributions will continue to come in even as construction is underway.

As Rabbi David Saperstein of the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism told the crowd, "While death takes people, it can never take away their dreams."

For more information on the National Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, go to www.buildthedream.org .

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
Re: Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial (DC)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:17:55 PM »
I watched part of the dedication on CNN.  I think it's fabulous that they're honoring a man while his family is still around to appreciate it, and while those who remembered him best were able to speak for his courage and vision. 
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Offline dlty01

• Keep Churches out of Politics
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:49:55 PM »
I have Martin Luther King checks.  No joke.  My dad taught me love for MLK, Nelson Mandela, and Ghandi since childhood.
"Why am I an Assyrian?  Because my parents were.  Additionally, I am an Assyrian because I feel it a sacred destiny to be one.  One is an Assyrian not only because of the accident of birth.  The will to be an Assyrian involves more than being the child of Assyrian parents."

- David Barsum Perley

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:49:55 PM »

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:55:18 PM »
Man, your dad and shamirum's mom -- I really need to meet these two  :2hearts:
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Offline shamirum

• Golden Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 05:39:13 PM »
I have Martin Luther King checks.  No joke.  My dad taught me love for MLK, Nelson Mandela, and Ghandi since childhood.

I want to see a picture of these checks please, you can include the routing and checking account numbers ... they'll be safe with me.  :lol:

Man, your dad and shamirum's mom -- I really need to meet these two  :2hearts:

I swear khayee, she would love to meet you, too! So would my dad, I think you might enjoy meeting him as well. Grill him and ask him lots of questions, lol.

But I'm still khechee afraid of what you and my mom would plan.  :blink:

I wish you could have heard her yesterday!

Offline dlty01

• Keep Churches out of Politics
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 08:04:16 PM »
I want to see a picture of these checks please, you can include the routing and checking account numbers ... they'll be safe with me.  :lol:

Sure no probl- WAAAAIT A MINUTE!!  MY MAMA DIDN'T RAISE NO FOOL!!!
"Why am I an Assyrian?  Because my parents were.  Additionally, I am an Assyrian because I feel it a sacred destiny to be one.  One is an Assyrian not only because of the accident of birth.  The will to be an Assyrian involves more than being the child of Assyrian parents."

- David Barsum Perley

RIP Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Started by rumrumBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 15
Views: 653
Last post January 17, 2006, 08:35:27 AM
by atourina
Martin Luther King sings the "I Have a Dream" speech...

Started by AshurienaBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 6
Views: 437
Last post May 11, 2009, 02:56:04 PM
by Enki
Today marks 40 years since Martin Luther King's Assassination

Started by GGBWBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 7
Views: 1012
Last post April 08, 2008, 09:44:27 PM
by KhIgGaAaAaAa
Barbara Walters or Larry King: who asks the better questions?

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1291
Last post March 03, 2006, 02:30:57 PM
by esz
Galactico king Perez quits Real Madrid

Started by thirstyninosBoard Sports

Replies: 6
Views: 1183
Last post March 04, 2006, 08:03:27 PM
by MACHIAVELLI