Author Topic: Assyrians of Arab Origin? This person certainly thinks so.  (Read 433 times)

Offline TerrenceMalick

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
https://www.quora.com/Are-Assyrian-people-Arab

He/She basically says Assyrians are Arab because they were mixed with the Arami tribe Thamud.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: Assyrians of Arab Origin? This person certainly thinks so.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
I appropriately answered it.
This is why I don't dabble in Middle Eastern debates because people usually, and many times, pull fecal matter out of their behinds :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:01:42 PM by mrzurnaci »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »
also, the guy who said Thami Arami tribe is a Muslim...

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »
Arabs came from the Arab Peninsula. Assyrians were always, historically, living in the Levant and Near East.

What he/she said is as logical as saying Germans are of Italian origin. I mean, sure, there is some mixing because of the Romans, but Germans are still virtually Germanic. Same with Assyrians, we may have a little bit of Arab in us, we're still Levantine/Mesopotamian in origin.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline TerrenceMalick

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:15:25 AM »
Arabs came from the Arab Peninsula. Assyrians were always, historically, living in the Levant and Near East.

What he/she said is as logical as saying Germans are of Italian origin. I mean, sure, there is some mixing because of the Romans, but Germans are still virtually Germanic. Same with Assyrians, we may have a little bit of Arab in us, we're still Levantine/Mesopotamian in origin.

Actually, I remember reading somewhere in a journal article that Assyrians, particularly Iranian-Assyrians, didn't mix with other ethnic groups (Arabs, Persians, etc). It was some sort of DNA test that was done. I can't remember where I read it but I do remember reading it! Can't speak for the other Assyrians though, but I've heard Assyrians in general didn't mix, so we may or may not have some Arab in us (leaning towards not).

Offline TerrenceMalick

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 04:25:26 AM »
I appropriately answered it.
This is why I don't dabble in Middle Eastern debates because people usually, and many times, pull fecal matter out of their behinds :)

Ha! You got that right!

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »
Actually, I remember reading somewhere in a journal article that Assyrians, particularly Iranian-Assyrians, didn't mix with other ethnic groups (Arabs, Persians, etc). It was some sort of DNA test that was done. I can't remember where I read it but I do remember reading it! Can't speak for the other Assyrians though, but I've heard Assyrians in general didn't mix, so we may or may not have some Arab in us (leaning towards not).
Not sure, but I've heard that Iranian Assyrians are the most mixed ones (with Persians), considering their location. Even to me, some Urmian Assyrians tend to look similar to Iranians. But I don't know.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Sharukinu

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
He is essentially arguing that Amorites are Arabs and that there is an Amorite admixture in Assyrians. Although there definitely were many Amorites who became Assyrianised, they were certainly not Arabs. They lived from Canaan to Mesopotamia and are believed to have derived from the former region or somewhere immediately surrounding it. Their language is a Northwest Semitic language, closely related to the Canaanite languages although it borrowed heavily from Akkadian. In no way are Amorites Arabs. Amorite admixture in Assyrians suggests nothing other than an ancient Semitic Levantine admixture in Assyrians.

I could be wrong in presuming that this is his claim since it is very hard to read what he has written. Take a look at some of this dribble which was so poorly written and dared to suggest that the Amorites descend from some Islamic prophet, Canaanites and Sumerians were Draviadians, and other nonsense including something about the lot of them being culturally akin to Native Americans:

"When actual tribe of Thamud perished it was the Imliq(Amorites) who are from Prophet Saleh PBH the Nabateans who are the Arameans who are the Chaldeans who are just the Akkadians and Amorites who mixed with Ad and Thamud and with element of Arphaxad Akkadians and Amorites mixed with the lank haired Canaanite Dravidians who are original Mediterranean and Sumerian people and the other Canaanites are same as pure Native American(same type of culture) you will see these two features in the Bedouins of Jordan"

Sheer dribble.

Not sure, but I've heard that Iranian Assyrians are the most mixed ones (with Persians), considering their location. Even to me, some Urmian Assyrians tend to look similar to Iranians. But I don't know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_people#Genetics

This article is well referenced. It demonstrates that Assyrians are genetically homogeneous regardless of region of residence or church adherence, and that Iranian Assyrians haven't mixed with Iranians.

For example, it states: "Genetic analysis of the Assyrians of Persia demonstrated that they were "closed" with little "intermixture" with the Muslim Persian population and that an individual Assyrian's genetic makeup is relatively close to that of the Assyrian population as a whole."

The original sources of information for the above quote is derived from the below:
-Akbari M.T.; Papiha Sunder S.; Roberts D.F.; Farhud Daryoush D. (1986). "Genetic Differentiation among Iranian Christian Communities". American Journal of Human Genetics. 38 (1): 84–98. PMC 1684716 Freely accessible. PMID 3456196.
-Cavalli-Sforza, Luigi Luca; Menozzi, Paolo; Piazza, Alberto (1994). The History and Geography of Human Genes. p. 243. ISBN 0691087504.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:33:22 AM by Sharukinu »
“It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another.”

― Titus Livy

.: Origin of Assyrians?

Started by KaBuLaiBoard Culture & History

Replies: 9
Views: 2345
Last post December 13, 2005, 05:31:44 PM
by MalekthaA2RETA
First Person Who Requested Autonomy For Assyrians Killed By Kurds

Started by Moneer CherieBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 22
Views: 3905
Last post December 24, 2007, 01:22:11 AM
by Salem
An Arab that Assyrians can be proud of…

Started by Moneer CherieBoard Serious Topics and Discussions

Replies: 6
Views: 1387
Last post November 13, 2011, 08:38:22 PM
by Nina
Arab Spring Starting to Turn into a Winter for Assyrians and Christians

Started by ASHOORBoard Serious Topics and Discussions

Replies: 1
Views: 565
Last post December 09, 2011, 10:02:56 AM
by Crocodile Bani
Do you know any Assyrians living in the rich Arab states?

Started by Assyrian NationalistBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 3
Views: 402
Last post May 11, 2015, 05:12:20 PM
by Assyrian Nationalist