Author Topic: If Iraq is divided, what will Assyrians say they are from?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
If Iraq is divided, what will Assyrians say they are from?
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
I have always been curious, if Iraq was to get divided into three parts and assuming Assyrians don't get their own country, what would their answer be to the question "where are you from?"

I would assume that the central part (Baghdad) would still be called Iraq.

If you come to think about it, the best answer would be 'Assyria' or 'Mesopotamia' since there will no longer be Iraq and we can use these two to refer to the land between the two rivers.

ASHOOR

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
Re: If Iraq is divided, what will Assyrians say they are from?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »
Since when do all Assyrians say they're from Iraq? What if you weren't born there? What if you're from Iran or Turkey or Syria? What if you were born in the Ottoman Empire?

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »
Since when do all Assyrians say they're from Iraq? What if you weren't born there? What if you're from Iran or Turkey or Syria? What if you were born in the Ottoman Empire?

Yes, ok let us change the question: what will Assyrians from Syria say if Syria was to be divided, about their origin?

I stated Iraq because the majority of Assyrians are from there and the country could potentially be divided one day.

This question doesn't apply to someone born in the west, though they would still have to sometimes answer the question about where their parents came from "Assyria, current day Iraq"

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 04:25:35 PM »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 04:47:41 PM »
I'm from Mesopotamia :)

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
Yes, ok let us change the question: what will Assyrians from Syria say if Syria was to be divided, about their origin?

The question was not "what would Assyrians from Iraq say if Iraq were to be divided?" The question implied that all Assyrians identify with being Iraqi. :)

The real question boils down to this: why is "Iraq" the only obstacle in us saying we're from "Assyria" or "Mesopotamia?" Why are those options only the "best answer" when "Iraq" is taken out of the picture?

I stated Iraq because the majority of Assyrians are from there and the country could potentially be divided one day.

Are the majority really from Iraq? If you factor in Western Assyrians (Suryoye), Iranian Assyrians, people not born in Iraq, etc.? Even if they are, I doubt it's an overwhelming majority.

This question doesn't apply to someone born in the west, though they would still have to sometimes answer the question about where their parents came from "Assyria, current day Iraq"

ASHOOR

Of course, and Palestinians born in Western countries would still have to say they're parents come from "Palestine, current day Israel." Tibetans also have to say they're from China. Chechens are from Russia, too. :)

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 05:43:21 AM »
Whatever the city they're born in sits at.

Say, if Baghdad (my birthplace), sits at "Central Iraqi Republic" then I guess that will be birth country's name.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:53 AM »
Whatever name the others might give to our homeland (including the divided areas)...for us it should have been from the establishment of the new states in the middle east always just ASSYRIA. 

We bother us too often with calling our homeland for many names, but Assyria....

ASSYRIA should be the only option for all of us! IF we call it like that others that see us doing so will start adpoting that name (probably not within few months or years..but in few decades).

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
Whatever name the others might give to our homeland (including the divided areas)...for us it should have been from the establishment of the new states in the middle east always just ASSYRIA. 

We bother us too often with calling our homeland for many names, but Assyria....

ASSYRIA should be the only option for all of us! IF we call it like that others that see us doing so will start adpoting that name (probably not within few months or years..but in few decades).

You make a lot of sense actually. The land that is currently called 'Iraq' will always be changing, very 100 years or so. We can't keep changing our name as well. Keep it simple and just call it 'Assyria' or 'Mesopotamia'

Problem with these two names though, as long as they are not official and recognize, it will create confusion for a lot of people.

But I guess we should care more about educating people than worrying about the confusion it will cause.

ASHOOR

Offline Van Nuys

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 05:53:21 AM »
I was born in Nohdra but I wud never say Qurdistan no matter what. I wud still say I am atouraye from Ator and for internationell I wud say I am from the old (former) Iraq. Like The old (former) Yougslavia.

Offline Van Nuys

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:12:21 AM »
This is not bothering me, whats bothering me, if Iraq got diviede, what will hpapen to our people? wud they vote for Sunni part och wud they vote for being a part of Kurdistan?

Offline assyriska_fan

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
Their should be no negotiation on this issue or where we are from. When they ask, you say it  loud and clear with a firm voice I AM from Occupied ASSYRIA full stop

Offline Kosovo1389

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
If I talk anyone who knows one iota about the region, I will undoubtedly tell them I am from occupied Assyria which is located in the former Iraq. To someone who is ignorant, I will tell them I am Assyrian from the region where Nineveh is, which will be the Sunni state, I have heard they will call it the Mesopotamian Arab Republic or Iraqi Arab Republic, and it will be called unofficially be called North Iraq, this will be weird even though the country will be run by Arab Nationalists (possibly Baath party officials) and its name will be as taboo in the West as North Korea. 

As far as Syria goes, if Syria is partitioned, we as Assyrians must mention that that we are Assyrians from Khabour near the Euphrates, but because of what the FSA did and Barzani's involvement we must always avoid the name Kurdistan (in Iraq and Syria), Pres. al-Assad's Syrian Arab Republic will always live on (in Latakia) but despite the geographical erring we must always say we are Assyrians from the Syrian Arab Republic, and use whatever unofficial name they call it (West Syria or North Syria).
Zivjela Srbija.

Offline Nina

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »
OCCUPIED ASHUR (ASSYRIA) - WHAT WAS KNOWN AS NORTHERN IRAQ

Iraq today is the only country which does not have a north.

By the way there is no country called Mesopotamia (Land between Rivers) which means nothing.

All Assyrians whether born in today's Iraq, Syria, Iran, Lebanon, Turkey, Russia, etc ... Are from Assyria or more correctly (Land of Ashur) since Ashur is the name in the Assyrian language. Hence, we are all from Ashur or Occupied Ashur .

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:56:13 PM by Nina »
ASSYRIA not a mere name but a state of mind,existence,history and identity

Offline Hanuni

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »
I don't really care about Iraq, Syria or any other false country who are occupying our lands and killed our people. We are Assyrians from Assyria. Period.
“Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood.”

-Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 03:03:52 AM »
If Kurdistan becomes a country then some will say Assyrians from Kurdistan. Lol.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Ethnic Cleansing of Assyrians Continues in Iraq

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 1199
Last post March 01, 2007, 04:07:56 PM
by Free_Assyria
Sponsored parachute jump for Assyrians in Iraq

Started by Wigger WillBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 13
Views: 1329
Last post April 16, 2006, 02:56:45 AM
by Nat927