Author Topic: Iraqi Arab Christians  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Eternal Flame

Iraqi Arab Christians
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »
Hello friends, it is common knowledge that the vast majority of Iraqi Christians are ethnic Assyrians & Chaldeans, the natives of Mesopotamia, including those of them that may identify themselves as Arabs or Kurds.
However, I was told that there is at least one Christian tribe or group in Iraq that is genuinely of Arab stock, they had migrated to the region from the Arabian peninsula several centuries ago and managed to cling on to their Christian faith.
Kudos to anyone who can help me out with the name of this said family/tribe and any other info you might have about them. Much appreciated.

Offline davidb

Re: Iraqi Arab Christians
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
Just to be clear, ethnically all Iraqi Christians are Assyrian. Chaldean is not a ethnicity.

To your question, the only Iraqi Christians i can think of who are completely Arab are the ones from Mosul, but then again they can most probably be tied back to Assyrian roots.

Offline Eternal Flame

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »
Just to be clear, ethnically all Iraqi Christians are Assyrian.  

Unless you count Armenians and possibly Melkites.
I heard some al-Jabouris around Mosul and Kirkuk are Christian although most are Muslim, but I'm not too sure about that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:47:33 PM by Eternal Flame »

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:27:11 PM »
I heard some al-Jabouris around Mosul and Kirkuk are Christian although most are Muslim, but I'm not too sure about that.

Melkites are Assyrians too
The Rights of Assyrians -UN Declaration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDtB12aA8I

The existence of the Assyrian Nation & Nationality is a fact
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline davidb

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »

True, sorry forgot about Armenians.

Offline Nina

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »
Several Arab tribes had converted to Christianity by 500 AD and those were Banu Taghleb (the largest Arab tribe, they were fierce fighters and till today Arabs mention a saying regarding this tribe "If it was not for Islam ... Taghleb would have swallowed the world), but there isn't as far as I know a specific arab tribe that continues to profess Christianity in Iraq today.

Another Arab tribe which converted to Christianity was Banu Monther, they are known as al-Manathira, then there was Banu Ghassan or al- Ghassassina.

Another tribe was Dhubian also spelled as Thubian, the name of the family still exists in some areas in Lebanon and Syria where some are Christians and others muslims.

Another tribe was Banu Abs and the name still exists in a family called Absi in Lebanon and they are Christians. Most or all of these tribes were later on absorbed into islam mostly by force but some who did not convert had to endure and those are the ones which remained till today.

The thing is that most of the tribes which are today in Iraq were at one point Christians and some do have Assyrian roots, but not to forget that with Islamic invasion and as years passed by oppression became harder and many were forced to convert to Islam in order to avoid paying the hefty head-tax, so that they wouldn't lose their lands, and not be treated badly as "Nasara or Dhemmis" the first to denote Christians (an insult for Christians) and the other to describe Christians, Jews who were under muslim rule.

There are stories told of women in Tikrit - Iraq who until today make the cross sign when they prepare their dough but they have no idea why.

Those Christians in Mosul who only speak Arabic are of Assyrian roots although they might not recognize that because they have adopted the "arab way" of life while professing Christianity. There are still traces of those Arab tribes who had converted to Christianity which can be found in Lebanon and Syria and in the names of families one can find the name of the same family either Christians or muslims.

The thing is no matter how many we find who were Christians at one time but if today they do not profess Christianity and they do not recognize their ethnicity as Assyrians ... What is the point? Even if there are those who are muslims and hypothetically they recognize that they are Assyrians ethnically but they do not help in any way the Assyrian Cause how good could they be to us?

ASSYRIA not a mere name but a state of mind,existence,history and identity

Offline Eternal Flame

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »
Thank you Nina, that was very informative.
Also I agree with your sentiments.

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:17:55 PM »
As I said in a similar thread, Arab Christians are a mix of Arab and Assyrian ancestry. Some will be more Arab and some would be more Assyrian.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Save the Iraqi Christians

Started by AFOBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 3
Views: 779
Last post May 31, 2007, 01:14:53 PM
by GGBW
Methodists Highlight the Plight of Indigenous Iraqi Christians

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 669
Last post December 17, 2006, 04:20:19 PM
by Free_Assyria
Iraqi Christians May Face Extinction

Views: 694
Last post January 16, 2007, 09:28:33 PM
by Free_Assyria
Iraqi Prime Minister Supports Assyrian Christians in Iraq

Started by Iraqi_Irani_Al-FarabiBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 6
Views: 1184
Last post May 12, 2007, 06:36:10 AM
by Iraqi_Irani_Al-Farabi
Iraqi Government Offers Its 'Full Support' to the Persecuted Christians of Baghd

Views: 542
Last post May 26, 2007, 01:36:09 AM
by Free_Assyria