Author Topic: Crusade against the Assyrian name  (Read 89563 times)

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
Re: Crusade against the Assyrian name
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
the group that call themselves "Aramean" and "chaldean" have nothing to do with ancient "chaldeans" or "Aramean" we all know this, who is to blame for this? not the members themselves that’s for sure, I just wanted to reiterate I’m not saying that everyone from these churches deny their true heritage but it is majority and both these organisations are to blame! I just think it’s unfair to constantly blame ACOE for everything that goes wrong within our nation members of the two other churches need to put pressure on their churches.
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline Aturaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2008, 02:57:28 AM »
the group that call themselves "Aramean" and "chaldean" have nothing to do with ancient "chaldeans" or "Aramean" we all know this, who is to blame for this? not the members themselves that’s for sure, I just wanted to reiterate I’m not saying that everyone from these churches deny their true heritage but it is majority and both these organisations are to blame! I just think it’s unfair to constantly blame ACOE for everything that goes wrong within our nation members of the two other churches need to put pressure on their churches.

Wow so the actual syriac/aramean people today arent directly related to the ancient arameans? i never knew that, i read about them on wikipedia and it has them there as a modern people and it says that they decendents of the ancient arameans LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriacs

Offline davidb

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 04:28:30 AM »
Wow so the actual syriac/aramean people today arent directly related to the ancient arameans? i never knew that, i read about them on wikipedia and it has them there as a modern people and it says that they decendents of the ancient arameans LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriacs

So you thought they had no connection to Assyrians?

The Syriac Orthodox Church go probably 60/40, the greater identify themselves as Aramean, the rest as Assyrian.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2008, 04:28:30 AM »

Offline Aturaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2008, 04:50:56 AM »
So you thought they had no connection to Assyrians?

The Syriac Orthodox Church go probably 60/40, the greater identify themselves as Aramean, the rest as Assyrian.

I thought they had little connection to assyrians (since they are from mesopotamia like we were)

Offline davidb

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 05:08:37 AM »
Well theres

Suryoye Othuroye (Syriac, Assyrians) &..
Suryoye Oromoye (Syriac, Arameans)

50 years ago there was no Oromoye, but Church affiliation & propaganda has increased the Aramean population.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:09:03 AM by davidb »

Offline Rumtaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 06:19:46 AM »
Isaiah 23:13
Behold the land of the Chaldeans; this people was not, till the Assyrian founded it for them that dwell in
the wilderness: they set up the towers thereof, they raised up the palaces thereof; and he brought it to ruin.

:loool:

Assyrian really founded Everything :D

Offline Aturaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 10:33:31 AM »
Well theres

Suryoye Othuroye (Syriac, Assyrians) &..
Suryoye Oromoye (Syriac, Arameans)

50 years ago there was no Oromoye, but Church affiliation & propaganda has increased the Aramean population.

Ohh okay i havent ever met a syriac person before, i only found out about them when i read that assyriska was founded by syriac assyrians, i was suprised because they called them selfs assyrian too =]

Ive got a few chaldean mates there all cool, they say they are assyrian and when you ask them what type they say chaldean assyrian, i respect those type of people alot.

Offline xxSanhoxx

• Assyrian Youth Federation of Middle Europe
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
ok guys, if you like to split, think about this scene:

3 Assyrians have a meet. The first one ask the another one
"Shlama Akhuna, Mot Ashuraya ewet?" (Hello brother, what kind of Assyrian are you?"
he answer: "Bsheino hauro miyaqro, ono othuroyo-suryoyo no, hauroch min Othuroyo yo?" (Hello my friend, im Syriac-Assyrian, what kind of Assyrian is your friend?"
his friend answer: "Ana ewen kaldani Ashuraya" (I'm Chaldean-Assyrian).
the syriac-assyrian ask again: "U hat min othuroyo hat?" (What kind of Assyrian are you?)
"Ana ewen Ashuraya!" (I'm Assyrian!)
"Hama ahna kolan othuroye na?!" (But we are all assyrians?!)
"Ana iwen Tyare-Ashuraya.." (I'm Tyare-Assyrian)
"Ono Midyoyo-Othuroyo me Tur Abdin no, hama hat min Othuroyo hat?" (I'm midyoyo-Assyrian from Tur Abdin, but what kind of Assyrian are you?"
"Yani min?!" (So what?!)

Please think about, maybe you find the problem in this. And the problem if you split and didnt see these names as yours. (how can a guy be syriac and assyrian or chaldean and assyrian, if its not the same? :blink: )
"..To be an Assyrian is to feel: The past is my heritage I shall forget it not; the present, my responsibility; the future, my challenge." - Dr. David Barsum Perley

Offline davidb

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »
ok guys, if you like to split, think about this scene:

3 Assyrians have a meet. The first one ask the another one
"Shlama Akhuna, Mot Ashuraya ewet?" (Hello brother, what kind of Assyrian are you?"
he answer: "Bsheino hauro miyaqro, ono othuroyo-suryoyo no, hauroch min Othuroyo yo?" (Hello my friend, im Syriac-Assyrian, what kind of Assyrian is your friend?"
his friend answer: "Ana ewen kaldani Ashuraya" (I'm Chaldean-Assyrian).
the syriac-assyrian ask again: "U hat min othuroyo hat?" (What kind of Assyrian are you?)
"Hama ahna kolan othuroye na?!" (But we are all assyrians?!)
"Ana iwen Tyare-Ashuraya.." (I'm Tyare-Assyrian)
"Ono Midyoyo-Othuroyo me Tur Abdin no, hama hat min Othuroyo hat?" (I'm midyoyo-Assyrian from Tur Abdin, but what kind of Assyrian are you?"
"Yani min?!" (So what?!)

Please think about, maybe you find the problem in this. And the problem if you split and didnt see these names as yours. (how can a guy be syriac and assyrian or chaldean and assyrian, if its not the same? :blink: )

Thats why you'll find out many of us identify us as ACOE Assyrians/Chaldean Assyrians/Syriac Assyrians.

Offline xxSanhoxx

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 05:49:39 PM »
sorry brother, i didnt see your posting... i see it, have to say that i had read another translation of a poem by naum faik.. my mistake, sorry..

to the assyrianism: CHURCHES ARE CHURCHES! Assyrianism is, to read and understand David B. Perley, Naum Faik, Mor Yohanun Dolabani, and so on. AND i didnt. I read only a bit.
But i have to say: Assyrianism is NOT to split into churches, is NOT to show with your finger to one assyrian and say "HE is syriac" or "HE is chaldean". Assyrianism includeds our history, the history of the assyrians, chaldeans, babylonians, arameans, sumerians, akkadians. And if you dont want accept it: READ ABOUT!
Assyrianism is, to give respect to every part of his history and not to deny any part.
Assyrianism is, to use his history for the good things.
Assyrianism is NOT to use his history to split his nation! (Some of you think that im thinking so, thats not so!)

Im not a professor of Assyrianism, but i think i live with this motto "Assyrianism", and want to know everything about it. And i know, that the fathers of the Assyrianism didnt deny any part of our history, no one!

Shlome

P.S.: sorry to say, but i dont understand why you cant understand it  :blink: i never call me syriac, or chaldean, but im saying im proud to be! its my, no one anthers, its only MY! "Syriac Assyrian", pff.. Im member of Catholic and Syriac Orthodox Church, so i'm no Syriac-Chaldean-Assyrian ? The church, the religion is something spiritual, so personal. If somebody want to believe in Budha, lets him, does it make him to non-assyrian? Stop to talking and uncluding the church-names in national names. but accept your church names as your one, a part of the nation! its a part, if you want or not, withour the churches, we never would be here, it would never exist assyrianism and we never think about this stuff! chaldean, syriac, aramean, assyrian, akkadian, sumerian, babylonian, suryoyo, othuroyo, chaldoyo, oromoyo, atouraya, ashuraya, suraya, suroyo, suyaya, suryanaya, kaldanaya -> AM I! Or to say it short: I AM ASSYRIAN!  :)
"..To be an Assyrian is to feel: The past is my heritage I shall forget it not; the present, my responsibility; the future, my challenge." - Dr. David Barsum Perley

Offline Aturaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 02:02:09 AM »
Assyrianism, eket? lol. i swear even the display pic is something he'd wear. no offence Aturaya, if ur someone else but your posts seem identical  :loool:

Im someone else =P, im the only person with this hoodie now since i got it custom made lol, our post are identical? im new so i havent read many post on this forum

i needed to ask a question you know the ACOE, its not orthodox or roman catholic either, its assyrian catholic right?

Oh and one more question, you know the word "Suraya" like when we speak with others assyrians we say we are "suraye" doesnt that translate into Syrian =/? shouldnt we be saying Aturaye? since that means people of assyria?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:30:59 AM by Aturaya »

Offline davidb

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 07:54:27 AM »
How did "suraye" become "Christian"? Alot of Chaldeans try and say Suraya means Christian.

Also, although the Chaldean Church was created in 1500's, many of the Nineveh Assyrians (Alqosh/Telkepe/Tesqopa ect..) didn't join the Church until 1800's, so their history doesn't go for more then 200 years.

Offline Aturaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
first off, shlama bro, and welcome to the site.  :)

ok, well ACOE is not catholic. the full title is " holy catholic apostolic assyrian church of the east" . "catholic" is used here to mean "universal", not roman catholic. our theology is distinct. we dont belong to orthodox church or catholic, its simply our own church. church of the east which began when jesus sent one of his 12 apostles, mar thoma (st thomas) to mesopotamia to spread christianity. he trained assyrian disciples under his wing (mar mari, mar addai and mar aggai), and they created our liturgy and the patriarch system which has stood unbroken for 2000 years till today.

assyrian catholic are those who identify themselves as "chaldean". in 1500s, catholics tried hard through violence, financial bribery and missionaries to split our church to usurp our dominance in the christian world, and they eventually suceed by taking some of our priests. they then gave them the name "chaldeans", so their history is now 500 yrs, before that they were church of the east assyrians.

"suraye" is the assyrian for "syrians" yes. historically the greeks didnt know how to pronounce our name, and they gave us the names, "assyrian" and "syrian" which they later abbreviated. this now causes confusion with the country syria, which has no link. when you look at history books, you will see that academics always use the abbreviated term syrian, rather than assyrian, even assyrians refered to themselves as syrians.

aturaya, or more correctly in the books: athoraya, is not persian. it is aramaic. aramaic uses "th" all the time, if you look at our old liturgical langauge we use in our mass, we are referred to as athoraye. some assyrian tribes often us "th" in thier speech, such as tyarayeh. most of us use "t" instead.

ashuraya is the akkadian way of saying assyrian (remember assyrian is greek name for our people). ashuraya is more correct to use as it means "people of Ashur", who was our God before christianity, it is argued that he built nineveh during our assyrian empire.

in terms of languages we spoke, we assyrians (ashuraye) originally descended from the Akkadians, so we spoke akkadian, then we developed our own version of akkadian. then came aramaic, which i think started 2000BC from the time of Abraham. it was like how arabic is now, as it became used for trade and everyone in middle east spoke it. eventually we usurped it aswell, and thats when the transition was made from us speaking akkadian to aramaic. it is unclear today, how much of our current language is remnants of akkadian and how much aramaic. but our old language in church you will see pure aramaic words, using alot of "th".

hope this helped  :)

Wow thanks that helped out alot  :)

Offline Aturaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
lol i found this website http://www.aramnaharaim.org/ its talking alot of crap about assyrians, saying that we are aramean and that the british missionaries called us assyrian =| **** is wrong with these people lol

does anyone have any sources that show that we were called assyrian before the british arrived?

Offline Forever Assyrian

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2008, 06:56:14 AM »
lol i found this website http://www.aramnaharaim.org/ its talking alot of crap about assyrians, saying that we are aramean and that the british missionaries called us assyrian =| **** is wrong with these people lol

does anyone have any sources that show that we were called assyrian before the british arrived?

The guy behind that webbsite is an idiot. http://www.aramnaharaim.org/ and http://www.aramaic-dem.org/English/0.htm don't do much for the "Aramean" people. They just write sh*t about Assyrians.

Yes, it's proven that we were called Assyrians before Henry Layard's excavations in Nineveh.

Letter from Pope Paul V to Shahen Abbas I in 1612:
”Those in particular who are called Assyrians or Jacobites and inhabit Isfahan will be compelled, unless You take pity on their misfortune, to sell their very children in order to pay the impositions levied.”
- ”A chronicle of the Carmelites in Persia"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:58:01 AM by Forever Assyrian »
Imith dithe, o qadishto

Offline Aturaya

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »
The guy behind that webbsite is an idiot. http://www.aramnaharaim.org/ and http://www.aramaic-dem.org/English/0.htm don't do much for the "Aramean" people. They just write sh*t about Assyrians.

Yes, it's proven that we were called Assyrians before Henry Layard's excavations in Nineveh.

Letter from Pope Paul V to Shahen Abbas I in 1612:
”Those in particular who are called Assyrians or Jacobites and inhabit Isfahan will be compelled, unless You take pity on their misfortune, to sell their very children in order to pay the impositions levied.”
- ”A chronicle of the Carmelites in Persia"

Cool thx , i might just email it to him to annoy him =]

Offline davidb

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
Just found out the Syriac Orthodox Patriarchs name was Senharib, he felt a need to change it though.

Anyone know if he promotes Arameanism?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:19:43 AM by davidb »

Offline Forever Assyrian

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »
Just found out the Syriac Orthodox Patriarchs name was Senharib, he felt a need to change it though.

Anyone know if he promotes Arameanism?

Yes.

"Syriacs (I think he used the word "Suryoye") are Arameans, and the ones who want to make a difference between them, are making a big mistake."

Comical!
Imith dithe, o qadishto

Offline davidb

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »
lol

Offline Frenchcanada

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2008, 01:18:34 AM »
Hi,

my name is Frederic Delcourt and I'm studying anthropology at Montreal's University in Canada. I would like to do my master degree on how the assyrian identity emerge as a distinctive one (compare to syriac, arab christians or Iraqi, turkish, etc...) in thecanadian context and if there's still a debate among christians of mesopotamia on how they identify themselves. I would like to know if it could be possible to be in contact with some of them that could be interested in helping me in my studies.

Best regards

Frederic Delcourt
Student at Montreal's university
freepanchenlama@hotmail.com

Offline Forever Assyrian

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2008, 06:44:26 AM »
I've heard that Mar Emmanuel III Delly called us Arameans!

Can someone translate:
http://www.ankawa.com/forum/index.php/topic,233591.msg3421260.html#msg3421260
Imith dithe, o qadishto

Offline davidb

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2008, 07:13:11 AM »
Anything but Assyrian lol

Offline jonadona

• Golden Member
  • The town is back that way!
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2008, 04:43:05 PM »
He is saying that he's not a politician but a man of God.  That was the rhetoric, and then he went on to say 'وبالنسبة الى مطالب شعبنا فنحن في الكنيسة لا نطالب بشيء إلا ما يريده ويقرره شعبنا من الحقوق، لكن أؤكد أننا الكلدان الآشوريين السريان شعب واحد  يسمى بالشعب الآرامي.' "As far as the demands of our people, we in church do not demand anything, other than our rights that are demanded by our people. But I want to stress that we, Chaldo Assyrians Suryani, are one peoples by the name of Aramean"

He's in Rome for health reason, so I'll be praying especially hard for this one.
turbulence is a fluid regime characterized by chaotic, stochastic property changes.

Offline GodismyJudge

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »
The previous Patriarch Patriarch Raphael Bet Dawid was much smarter

In an interview with Bidawid, published in 2003, he commented on the Assyrian name dispute and declared his ethnic point of view:

“I personally think that these different names serve to add confusion. The original name of our Church was the ‘Church of the East’ ... When a portion of the Church of the East became Catholic, the name given was ‘Chaldean’ based on the Magi kings who came from the land of the Chaldean, to Bethlehem. The name ‘Chaldean’ does not represent an ethnicity... We have to separate what is ethnicity and what is religion... I myself, my sect is Chaldean, but ethnically, I am Assyrian.”[1]

In an interview with the Assyrian Star in the September-October 1974 issue, he was quoted as saying:

“Before I became a priest I was an Assyrian, before I became a bishop I was an Assyrian, I am an Assyrian today, tomorrow, forever, and I am proud of it.”[2]
I am an Assyrian today, tomorrow, forever, and I am proud of it.

Offline davidb

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2008, 12:51:31 AM »
The guys hardly alive, he doesn't even know what hes saying

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
Hi,

my name is Frederic Delcourt and I'm studying anthropology at Montreal's University in Canada. I would like to do my master degree on how the assyrian identity emerge as a distinctive one (compare to syriac, arab christians or Iraqi, turkish, etc...) in thecanadian context and if there's still a debate among christians of mesopotamia on how they identify themselves. I would like to know if it could be possible to be in contact with some of them that could be interested in helping me in my studies.

Best regards

Frederic Delcourt

I live in Canada myself, and since this is from a Canadian context, I can help with whatever I can. You may PM me and ask me anything. Hope others here are willing to help too.

Best of luck.

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline Danny12344

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »
Well, i am suryoye, and about 30% of suryoye are othuroyo, but i was always curious about the chaldeans, what percent of chaldeans call them selves Assyrians? and they are assyrian right they just dont know it, right? Curious because i used to see a lot of fights in chat over that topic. can some1 explain

Offline Alucard

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »
Assyrian is english translation of Assuraye, obviously what i meant.

Syriac is not same word as Assyrian, the ancient Assyrians never called themselves Syriac(never Suraye/Suroye), and definitely Syriac & Assyrian don't mean the same thing in modern times.

Fact is, we would never even think about acknowledging our Aramean history if no Assyrian identified themselves as an Aramean today, i think you'll agree with me there.

Actually, it was the ancient Assyrians who began calling themselves Surayu, which later developed into Suraya>Suroyo>Suryaya>Suryoyo.

Read this article by Assyriologist Robert Rollinger:

http://www.aina.org/articles/ttaasa.pdf

Offline davidb

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2008, 01:59:39 AM »
Syrian is a name we(all denominations) all generally agree on. The bible tells us that Arameans lived in Aram-Nahrain or Beth-Nahrain. The bible also tells us that the names Aramean and Syrian are interchangeable.

Wouldn't this mean we have closer ties to the ancient Arameans?

This doesn't mean we're not Assyrian or anything because we all originate from Assyria but we haven't been calling ourselves Assyrian for thousands of years, and we don't know why that is.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:00:55 AM by davidb »

Offline davidb

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
Aram, Aramaeans - The Aramaeans were not a single nation, but a widely spread branch of the semetic race. In the King James Version they are generally called Syrians. According to Gen. 10: 22 Aram was son of Shem, but in Gen. 22: 21 he is called son of Kenuel and grandson of Nahor. The Aramaeans therefore had kinship with the Hebrews. Their older seats were in Mesopotamia (Aram-Nahrain or Aram of the Two Rivers). From an early date there were many Aramaeans in Assyria and Babylonia, and in these countries the Aramaic language finally prevailed over the old Assyrian and was only displaced by the Arab conquest.

They were obviously called Syrians because of geographic reasons but what i don't understand is why they call Mesopotamia Aram-Nahrain when they don't even come from there.

We generally say that Syrian is short for Assyrian but if there already were Syrians why would the people of Assyria be identified by this name aswell? Wouldn't this just cause confusion?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:16:40 PM by davidb »

Offline Danny12344

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2008, 12:58:39 AM »

After the Assyrian empire controlled the land west of the Euphrates they started calling it Syria, maybe? lol

david, i saw this vid on youtube that has a good explanation on "_ _ syrian" and "Assyrian", its cause a long time ago, we started to drop the "a" on lots of stuff, like ASHUR became SHUR, and the greeks made the "sh" into "s", i think this makes 100% sense because if you look at the word "suroyo/suraya." in assyrian, when you write suroyo suraya, you have to put the olaf/alap infront of the simkhat. that is if you spell it correctly.

Offline Danny12344

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2009, 12:09:41 AM »
That's where the problem comes, there's no source that mentions this silent alap, I spoke to a very knowledgeable person who's doing his PHD in Semitic and Syriac studies, and he admitted that there's no evidence of a silent alap in this word, rather it was a recent addition.

Tambur my uncle is a really famous poet, he speaks suryoyo and ashuri ktobonoyo,(book reading language) the real way u spell SURYOYO is ASURYOYO, but the alap wasnt pronounces, this is what he told me, and many people know.

Offline davidb

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2009, 07:06:10 AM »
I don't believe there is a silent alap. There is no proof of it and no real reason why it wouldn't be pronounced.

The Greeks letting go of the As in Assuraye is much more realistic.

Also i agree that Suryaya/Suryoyo means Syrian. Suraye/Suroye is the name of our people, and to be honest i don't think anyone can prove what it actually translates to.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:10:54 AM by davidb »

Offline Zawoyo

• Mid-Level Member
  • I ♥ Assyria
    • me on youtube
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »
Hi,

Best regards

Frederic Delcourt

Hi Frederic and welcome to this website!
Do you write something about the muslim Assyrians too? (Mhalmoye/Mhalmaia)
The Rights of Assyrians -UN Declaration
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDtB12aA8I

The existence of the Assyrian Nation & Nationality is a fact
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=36862.0

̈I´m not interested in helping our ppl because I´m nationalistic, I´m interested because our ppl NEED help!

Offline xxSanhoxx

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
John, thank you for remember our Muslim brothers and sisters, the "Mhalmoye".
Can any one write their history for wikipedia, with proofs etc..?

shlome

Assyrian: East meets West

Started by PhiruelBoard Assyrian Language Center

Replies: 536
Views: 96461
Last post February 26, 2015, 06:42:45 PM
by babyloniad
****Interesting Old Assyrian Pictures****

Started by rumrumBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 26
Views: 4626
Last post February 26, 2006, 09:11:24 PM
by miranda