Author Topic: Assyrian continuity after the fall of the empire:612 BC-1900 AD  (Read 50774 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: Assyria after the fall of the empire:612 BC-1900 AD
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »
Les conciles généraux et particuliers, Volume 1
 By Paul Guérin

It makes the year 198 a council held in an uncertain place of Greece to the Archbishop of Seleucia entitled to any patriarch of the Assyrian and Persian

SOURCE: http://books.google.com/books?id=fu88AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA24&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U3ooEJgrAibVwEsNlHrqIvJrC23vA&ci=159%2C319%2C742%2C101&edge=0

ASHOOR
-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 11:55:36 PM »
Book: Rediscovering Japan, reintroducing Christendom: two thousand years of Christian history in Japan by Samuel Lee

In Rediscovering Japan, Reintroducing Christendom, Japan's unvoiced Christian history and cultural roots are examined from an alternative perspective. It is commonly believed that Christianity was introduced to Japan by the Spanish and Portuguese missionaries during the 1500s; however, Samuel Lee draws on various forms of cultural, religious, and linguistic evidence to argue that Christianity was introduced to Japan through the Lost Tribes of Israel, who were converted to Christianity through the missionary efforts of the Assyrian Church of the East around A.D. 500.

Much of the evidence he discusses has become submerged into many Japanese folkloric songs and festivals and is to be found in temples. There are, for example, approximately three hundred words in Japanese and Hebrew/Aramaic that are similar. Further Dr. Lee outlines the history of Catholicism in Japan during the 1500s, the systematic persecution of Christians from 1600s to the 1800s, and the rise of Protestant Church in Japan. The historical portion of the book ends with an analysis and discussion of 21st century Japanese society. Lastly, in Rediscovering Japan, Reintroducing Christendom, Samuel Lee questions the missiological methods of Western Christianity and advocates an approach based in dialogue between Christianity and other cultures.

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
The new encyclopedia of Islam by Cyril Glassé, Huston Smith

"The Nestorians are now frequently known as "Assyrian Christians", and groups are found in Syria, Iraq, Iran and the Malabar coast of India.  Beginning centuries ago, a large group of Assyrians have entered into communion with Rome and are called "Chaldean Catholics"

ASHOOR

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »
Rediscovering Japan, reintroducing Christendom: two thousand years of Christian history in Japan by Samuel Lee

"The inscription in Chinese indicated that there was a huge population of Assyrian Christians in China in the 8th century who followed Syrian liturgical form. "

ASHOOR

Offline dok101

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 01:30:23 AM »
Magic bowls are a type of amulet consisting of an incantation written on an earthenware bowl. (…) The incantations are most commonly written in black ink within the bowl, spiraling from the bottom upwards. (…) the most common form of using magic bowls was to bury them upside down under the floor of the house. (Unikat. Cf. Dan Levene: A Corpus of Magic Bowls. Incantation Texts in Jewish Aramaic from Late Antiquity. London: Kegan Paul, 2003. pp. 2-3).

Such bowls have a rather narrow chronological range. Based on the script of the text, comparisons with other pottery, and the context of those found in situ, they appear to have been in fairly popular use from the fifth to the eighth centuries C.E. (Michael G. Morony: “Magic and Society in Late Sasanian Iraq”. In: Scott Noegel & al.: “Prayer, Magic, and the Stars in the Ancient and Late Antique World”. Pennsylvania State University Press, 2003. p. 83).

Out of a sample of 411 bowl texts (both published and unpublished), nearly two thirds are Aramaic (62 percent), while most of the rest are divided between Mandaic (23 percent) and Syriac (13 percent)...(Ibid., pp. 93-94).

[T]he texts written on these bowls are viewed as constituting a genre because of what they have in common: a set of shared assumptions about the causes of evil and how to avert it. The content of these inscriptions reveals traditions going back to Neo-Assyrian and Babylonian protective rituals and therapeutic magic. (Ibid., pp. 84-86).

http://www.meyerbuch.com/bildsuch.asp?ID=2961

Offline dok101

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:38 AM »
George Percy Badger. The Nestorians and their rituals (1842-1844)

[T]he following extract from the Khudra plainly teaches that the Nestorians refer the origin of their priesthood to a much higher antiquity, and that they regard the Christian priesthood to be a continuation, through Christ, of that same ordination which was first given to man by God Himself in the beginning of the world.

"Blessed is He Who hath given to the priesthood a degree ascending up to heaven. O glorious priesthood, open to me the store of your riches, that from your wealth I may fill the treasury of my thoughts. Thou wast highly exalted, but didst stoop low, and wast given to those of dust, O Thou mirror which hast been handed down to all generations! To the former people [the Jews] the horn of oil ; but to us the priesthood of Christ."

Offline dok101

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
Geoffrey Khan.  The Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Barwar.

As already shown by Krotkoff (1985: 124–126), a number of lexical items in the NENA [Northeastern Neo-Aramaic] dialects, especially those relating to agriculture, can be traced back beyond Classical Aramaic to Akkadian or even Sumerian.

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 06:12:44 PM »
this thread needs to be a stickey.
"The World has no glory without the Assyrians"

Offline dok101

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 02:50:46 AM »
My questions emerge out of a research project (my dissertation based at Princeton) which centers on a Syriac martyr's legend of the 7th century AD -- Mar Qardagh of Arbela, Sasanian marzban of northern Iraq under Shapur II in the 360's AD. The text has several interesting connections with traditions/memories of Assyria, beginning with Qardagh's genealogy traced from the royal house of "Athor" (Assyria) via Sennacherib on his mother's side and Nimrod on his father's side.

According to his hagiographer, Qardagh's cult began at a place called Melqi (MLQI) in the vicinity of Arbela, where there was a fire temple and church complex that was later converted into a church and market complex and eventually became a monastery. But the site appears to have declined (or changed names??) during the medieval period, and modern scholarship has been unable to locate it. The story of the saint's life and his travels in the highlands north and east of Arbela make a location immediately to the NE of Arbela an attractive hypothesis.

Is the cult site of Mar Qardagh at "Melqi" described in the Nestorian literary sources identical with "Milqia", site of an Ishtar temple, noted in the Assyrian sources? If so, we have a very interesting case of long-term continuity in the religious topography of north Mesopotamia.
Joel Walker , 4 Nov 1997/Melammu Project

Offline dok101

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 03:21:14 AM »
Now the saint of God, when he saw that they were busy with such deliberations, began to show them the truth of the Christian faith, and many of them on the other.  And under the count of an election they found a new village leader, whose name was Razmarduk.  Now through zeal clothed with God was the thorn bush of the Megušdom weeded out of every village, and the faith in Jesus Christ conquered it and was planted against it.  And he distanced them from those gods of lies, “they have ears, but do not hear; they have mouths, but do not speak; and have eyes, but do not see”.
The Chronicle of Arbela, Ch.5, Bishop Noh of Arbela (163-179 A.D.) Translated by Peter Kawerau

Offline dok101

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »
The present article focuses on the pottery excavated in the Red House in Tell Sheikh Hamad (North-Eastern Syria). The Full assemblage has been analysed and published by Kreppner (2006). The excavation took place between 1993 and 2000. The Red House covers an area of approximately 5400 square meters (ca. 6458 square yards) and is composed of three wings with 90 rooms (Fig. 2).

CONCLUSIONS
The Red House demonstrates that a high standard residence existed even after the fall of the Neo-Assyrian Empire. The four cuneiform texts written in Assyrian script dating to the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II prove that Assyrians inhabited the Red House during the time of the Neo-Babylonian Empire (Radner: 2002: 17). The fall of the Neo-Assyrian Empire neither interrupted ceramic production, nor caused a change in wares and forms.

The analysis of the development of forms within the stratigraphical sequence (Fundbereiche 7.1, 4, 3.18, 3.19, 3.20) confirmed that the most frequent types of the Red House pottery are exactly those which were found both in the younger and the older stratigraphical units. Thus, a continuity of pottery production is proven from the mid seventh throughout the sixth as far as the beginning of the fifth centuries B.C.

As to the Red House, pottery of Neo-Babylonian style was not introduced. Contrary to various assumptions, also after the fall of the Neo-Assyrian Empire during the so called „Post”-Assyrian period – the clay used for pottery was continuously prepared with straw temper and the forms known from the seventh century were also used during the sixth century B.C.

The current state of research does not allow a definite periodisation because comparable data covering the ninth, eighth, seventh or the fifth centuries B.C are still lacking. Probably it will be revealed that during this period the development of forms was much slower than this has been assumed so far. To sum up, an Iron Age pottery assemblage of a completely excavated and well dated household of higher standard from Northern Mesopotamia has now been analysed for the first time.

THE CONTINUITY OF CERAMIC PRODUCTION AFTER THE FALL OF THE NEO-ASSYRIAN EMPIRE. NEW DATA FROM THE RED HOUSE OF TELL SHEIKH HAMAD.
FLORIAN JANOSCHA KREPPNER. 2008.

Offprint from Proceedings of the 4th International Congress of the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East

Offline SyriacOrthodoxAssyrian

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
Those maps in the first page, I agree that the one with the "Assyrian" person is really good, but I wouldn't be too enthusiastic by the other ones.

Here's another one from 1570 by Abraham Ortelius with Arzervm = Assyria:

http://history-maps.ru/pictures/max/0/499.jpg

He wrote something that relates to us today: "A representation of the Turkish Empire. Through unity, small things grow, through discord, they fall totally asunder."

Here's another map from 1596:

Look where "Assiria" is placed here.

Anyway, Ortelius wrote:

"This lake was called Geluchalat by Marco Polo ov Venice, by others it was called Argis, by Strabo the Martian swamps."

about a lake in the map. He uses other sources (from before his time) to name it. Think about that and the geographic location of Assyria in all of the maps.

Can I create a similar thread to this one but with "Aramean" in the title? (Edit: Doubt it's gonna draw much interest so forget it)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:08:23 AM by SyriacOrthodoxAssyrian »

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »
I found a rebuttal by a guy from the Aramean side about that map by John Speed and the "A Assyrian" thing:

The questions you would like to ask John Speed are: Why did he use the term Assyrian in his map:

Was it because:

a) The term othuroye was give to John Speed by our own?

b) Has he even been in the middle east?

c) Did our people know English back then?

d) Did he use his own geographical knowledge when he wrote Assyrian (despite no Assyrian state or empire existed in the 17th century)?

e) Was he thinking of the old testaments geography when he wrote Assyrian in a 17th century context?

f) Did he get the term Assyrian directly or indirectly through travelers that were representatives for the Catholic church of Rome, such as pope Paulus V among others?

I think it's simply due to him getting the term "Assyrian" by westerners and not directly from our own during his own time (there is no 16th to 17th century source that affirms that our people called themselves othuroye in Aramaic), probably indirect through pope Paulus V's usage of the term "Assyrian".

Also see http://www.turkeyinmaps.com/Large/Speed.html

In the site above a comment is written by a turk in modern time.

”One of the most decorative maps of Turkish Empire from Speed's A Prospect of the Most Famous Parts of the World. The map covers Ottoman territories in the Balkans, Anatolia, Levant, Arabia and North Africa. Size 390 x 510 cm.

Borders on each side show full length portraits of Greek, Egyptian, Assyrian and Persian men and women. Surprisingly, in this map of "Turkish Empire", there is not a Turk among the portraits of ethnic groups. The Arms of Turkey depicting a crowned crescent moon face figure is most certainly imaginary for I have never seen this in Ottoman sources.

Town plans at the top are of Famagusta, Damascus, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Constantinople, Cairo and Ormuz.”

I was actually also thinking about similar questions about that map when I was searching for other maps yesterday
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:21:57 AM by SyriacOrthodoxAssyrian »

Offline the_dave

• Mid-Level Member
  • Simple living high thinking...
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2011, 11:25:46 AM »
Ahnan kullan Asuryoye heja heja heja heja Asuryoye.
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us - Always!

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2011, 01:00:49 PM »
I don't know if your reply was because of my last couple of posts but I assume so.

Either way, right is right and wrong is wrong. It's a discussion forum. It's the culture and HISTORY section. Most history is never set in stone.

I didn't have any hidden "Aramean" agenda with my posts but my point is just because something says Assyrian it doesn't make it 100% right all the time.

Posting some "evidence" and everyone going "khaya atur!!!! Aturaya!!!!!!!!1111!! Look at this, they still believe they're Aramean even with this!!!! Damn idiots!! Shalmaneser!!!!" is just as irritating as some other people singing "ahna kulan suryoye heja heja heja suryoye" with the bird flag.

Stop insulting them if you come with sarcastic remarks yourself.

It's like GGBW's post earlier in this thread "And that somehow makes us...Aramaean?". What somehow makes us Aramean (in some peoples eyes) is that we have sources by men from all three of our churches (including the church of the east) that, in whatever way, say we're Aramean (taken out of context or not). They didn't just choose Aramean from of a hat with folded papers of ethnicities in it. But on the flip side I can probably find just as many sources by our people that say we're Assyrian. We can't disregard it just because they're churchmen.

I think some of you would believe your parents weren't really your parents if an Assyriologist told you so.

Isn't it better that we know that whatever might not be as sure as we think it is so that we don't look like fools in a possible future situation?

If a post of mine is wrong or there's anything pointing against it please enlighten me. I'm in this section to learn.

And please no "what constitutes a nation", "ok, go and be Aramean, we don't want you here" or "you can't be 100% certain that your ethnicity is Aramean, Assyria was an empire with different ethnicites" talk. This is the history section. I'm not trying to slow down the Assyrian nations advancement. When I find or think something is wrong, from whichever side, I will post it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:02:05 PM by SyriacOrthodoxAssyrian »

Offline Hanuni

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
Written to the Persian Shah by the Pope in 1612 A.D

"Those in particular who are called Assyrians or Jacobites and inhabit Isfahan will be compelled to sell their very children in order to pay the heavy tax you have imposed on them, unless You take pity on their misfortune"

(H. Chick, ed. and trans., A Chronicle of the Carmelites in Persia, 2 vols., London 1939, s. 100)
“Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood.”

-Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
Ahnan kullan Asuryoye heja heja heja heja Asuryoye.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Offline Free_Assyria

• Golden Member
  • Free Occupied-Assyria
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »
Most history is never set in stone.
Stop insulting them if you come with sarcastic remarks yourself.

umm yes it is, literally its carved in stone.
Buy this and read it.

and regarding 2nd comment its pretty hard not to tease people who burn and piss on the Assyrian flag, who steal Janan Sawa’s song turn it into a stupid suroye chant, who take the Assyrian symbol put it on their flag and just change the head into a flame. I don’t know about you but I’m not a monk.

Now whats this topic about? Assyria after the fall or the bloody name issue again.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:00:36 PM by Free_Assyria »

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 02:09:10 AM »
I have the book. Don't worry. I wasn't specifically talking about the "name issue" when I wrote that most history is never set in stone.

A few Syrianska punk kids burned the Assyriska FF emblem, not the Assyrian flag, and they got a lot of crap from other Syrianska fans for doing so. And it wasn't Syrianska fans standing at the opposite teams side with their flag during the play-off a few years ago, it was fans of the opposite team.

I guess generalizing is the most natural thing in the world.

Their flag isn't exactly the Assyrian symbol (if you mean the Ashur one) but it's a winged sun (there were a lof of winged suns back then, not just the Ashur one) with Gilgamesh as one of three figures below it though. It was found in Kapara. I believe they found the same symbol with another figure below it somewhere in present-day Syria later.

When did I turn the thread into the name issue? The name issue is where/how/what does suroyo/suryoyo come from, not "archeology"/"cartology".

Was the Bel and Nebo gods thing really further proof that we're Assyrians?

Am I wrong for pointing out that something might be wrong? I might be wrong saying something's wrong as well, so come and let's discuss. There's no need for the holier-than-thou "we've been through this a million times before :rollseyes: :facepalm:" replies. This isn't the politics forum.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:57:10 AM by SyriacOrthodoxAssyrian »

Offline dok101

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
Theophanes Continuatus: http://www.archive.org/stream/theophanesconti00theogoog#page/n17/mode/2up

Leo V the Armenian.  Emperor of Byzantium from 813 to 820.  According to the Theophanes Continuatus*, he was of mixed heritage.  Part Armenian, part Assyrian.

*Wiki:
Theophanes Continuatus (Greek: συνεχισταί Θεοφάνους) or Scriptores post Theophanem (Οἱ μετὰ Θεοφάνην, "those after Theophanes") is the Latin name commonly applied to a collection of historical writings preserved in the 11th-century Vat. gr. 167 manuscript.[1] Its name derives from its role as the continuation, covering the years 813–961, of the chronicle of Theophanes the Confessor, which reaches from 285 to 813. The manuscript consists of four distinct works, in style and form very unlike the annalistic approach of Theophanes.[2]
The first work, of four books consists of a series of biographies on the emperors reigning from 813 to 867 (from Leo the Armenian to Michael III). As they were commissioned by Emperor Constantine VII (r. 913–959), they reflect the point of view of the reigning Macedonian dynasty. The unknown author probably used the same sources as Genesios.[2] The second work is known as the Vita Basilii (Latin for "Life of Basil"), a biography of Basil I the Macedonian (r. 867–886) written by his grandson Constantine VII probably around 950. The work is essentially a panegyric, praising Basil and his reign while vilifying his predecessor, Michael III.[3] The third work is a history of the years 886–948, in form and content very close to the history of Symeon Logothetes, and the final section continues it until 961. It was probably written by Theodore Daphnopates, shortly before 963.[4]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:53:17 AM by dok101 »

Offline dok101

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »
In his account of the revolt of Thomas the Slavonian (820-823) against the Emperor Michael II (820-829), the Byzantine historian Genesius* lists a variety of peoples from whom the armies of the rebel had been drawn: Saracens, Indians, Egyptians, Assyrians, Medes, Abasgians, Zichs, Vandals, Getae, Alans, Chaldoi, Armenians, adherents of the heretical sects of the Paulicians and the Athinganoi.

The Armenians in the Byzantine Empire

*Wikipedia: Joseph Genesius
Genesius (Greek: Γενἐσιος, Genesios) is the conventional name given to the anonymous Greek author of the tenth century chronicle, On the reign of the emperors. His first name is sometimes given as Joseph, combining him with a "Joseph Genesius" quoted in the preamble to John Skylitzes.

Offline dok101

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
http://www.armenian.com/history1.html

The Birth of The Armenian Nation
Brief Survey and Chronological Information

The third [Armenian origin] theory is legendary and belongs to the great Armenian poet and historian Movses Khorenatzi*. According to Khorenatzi there was a famous Assyrian scientist Mar Appar Gadina, who was assigned by the Armenian King Vagharshak to go to Persia and to find out Armenian History. Gadina went to Persia, where in the Kings library he discovered the " History of the First Ancestors". That study, according to Khorenatzi was in Greek and Mar Appas Gadina translated into Assyrian. But we do not have neither Greek nor Assyrian versions of that book. In this "Book" Khorenatzi sees and develops Haig's legend and states that our country is called Hayastan and because of Haig, Armenians are called Hays. The Bible says Haig was the grandson of Japhet, son of Noah.

*Wiki:
Moses of Chorene, also Moses of Khoren, Moses Chorenensis, or Movses Khorenatsi (Armenian: Մովսես Խորենացի, Armenian pronunciation: [mofˈsɛs χoɾɛnɑˈtsʰi], also written Movsēs Xorenac‘i, Movses Khorenats'i, scholars have argued for either fifth century (ca. 410 – 490s AD), or a 7th to 9th century date) was an Armenian historian, and author of the History of Armenia.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
Les conciles généraux et particuliers , Volume 1 , year: 1868
http://books.google.ca/ebooks?id=fu88AAAAcAAJ&sitesec=reviews

"The seats of the Metropolitan were scattered throughout Asia, the Caspian Sea to China, the northern borders of Scythia to the southern tip of the peninsula indienne.Aparlirduxv century we find little more than the Kurdistan Nestorian Assyrians. The seat of the patriarchate, since 1333, was Mosul, where they tranférèrent for safety in an inaccessible valley in Dschulamerick, near the river Zab, between Turkey cl Persia. Those who inhabited the plains were almost all converted to Catholicism: there is little today that Nestorians in the mountains."

ASHOOR

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 03:25:02 AM »

The Thirteen Assyrian Fathers (Georgian: ათცამმეტი ასურელი მამანი, atsamet'i asureli mamani) were, according to Georgian church tradition, a group of monastic missionaries who arrived from Mesopotamia to Georgia to strengthen Christianity in the country in the 6th century. They are credited by the Georgian church historians with the foundation of several monasteries and hermitages and initiation of the ascetic movement in Georgia.

ასურელი - Asureli - From Assur, the original capital city of Assyria

though

Modern scholarly opinion is divided as to whether they were Syrians or Syrian-educated Georgians, whether missionaries or refugees — monophysite or diophysite — from Syria, from which monophysitism had retreated while Georgia was still primarily monophysite at that time.

Looking at their names I would think they were Georgian (if those were their real names).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:01:07 AM by SyriacOrthodoxAssyrian »

Offline dok101

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
[A]ssyrian traditions, and Assyrian religion persisted alongside Christianity in all its major cities until late Antiquity.
TABLE III. [Some] Assyrian theophoric personal names from Parthian Assur, Hatra and Ţūr-Abdīn. Beyer 1998

Name   Year/AD (where known)
Addu-nūr   
`Abd-Allāya   
Garam-Allāt   235
`Awīd-Allāt   
Tēm-Allāt   
Ahī-Assur   221
Assur-ah-iddin   
Assur-amar   
Assur-dayyān   200
Assur-hananī   
Assur-hēl   
Assur-šama`   184
Assur-`a   221
Assur-natan   184
Assur-tariş   200
`Aqīb-Assur   220
‘Ēnī-`al-Assur   
Re'ūt-Assur   112
Assur-Bēl-dayyān   222
Bēl-abī   192
Bēl-barak   
Bēl-`aqab   97
Malā-Bēl   221
Sattar-Bēl   195
Šōzib-Bēl   
`Abed-Iššār   
Natun-Iššār   
`Awīd-Iššār   141
Ba-Nabû-ehdet   112
Bar-Nabû   
Nabû-banā   
Nabû-dayyān   188
Nabû-yāb   
Nabû-gabbār   
Nabû-kātōb   235
Nabû-`aqab   
`Abed-Nabû   195
Bar-Nanāya   195
Bar-Nērgol   108
Nērgol-dammar   195
`Abed-Nērgol   
`Abed-Šalmā(n)   235
`Aqab-Šameš   217
Han-Šameš   
Ilāh-Šameš   
Meqīm-Šameš   
Natūn-Šameš   195
Rapā-Šameš   
Šamšāy   
Šameš-`aqab   205
Šameš-barak   237
Šameš-yāb   162
Šameš-zabad   128
Ba-Serū   217

Simo Parpola, Assyrian Identity in Ancient Times and Today

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 12:38:33 AM »
Before that, the Abbasid caliphates that employed Assyrian translators, Jewish doctors and scholars in public service did this for a reason

-The Abbasid caliphates ruled from about 750 to 1250 A.D

-Article in Turkish newspaper AlZaman

ASHOOR

Offline dok101

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 01:09:43 AM »
 "The Ramessides, Medes, and Persians"
Emmet Sweeney

Pliny the Elder (c. AD 70), while utilizing the work of Strabo, already prefers the name Assyria for the Empire. His contemporary Flavius Josephus likewise consistently refers to the Empire as Assyria, and uses Syria in referring to the Seleucid Empire and the Roman province of Syria. This terminology anticipates the situation after the reign of Trajan, who after his campaign against the Parthians (AD 116) created a province called Assyria in the east, probably annexing the semi-independent state of Adiabene which the Assyrians had succeeded in establishing in their ancient homeland.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:12:16 AM by dok101 »

Offline dok101

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 01:42:36 AM »
15 - 116 AD
Adiabene and Osrhoene

Followed by
The extent of the Roman Empire, under Trajan.
Roman Provinces of Mesopotamia and Assyria

Offline dok101

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 02:07:48 AM »
Chaldean Catholics and "Nestorians" telling different versions of the same children's story.

FOUR VERSIONS OF A NEO-ARAMAIC CHILDREN’S STORY

INTRODUCTION

The texts presented here are four different versions of a children’s story passed down the generations orally. The versions vary not only in the actual story, but also in the dialect in which they are recounted, all of which are members of the North-Eastern Neo-Aramaic family (henceforth NENA). It is hoped that the comparison of different versions of one story will give some idea of the variation that oral folktales undergo, and will also facilitate a comparison of the narrative devices used in different dialects.

All versions come from Christian communities in the NENA area. The first two versions are told respectively in the dialects of the villages of Alqosh and Telkepe situated in the Mosul Plain in northern Iraq. The third version is told in the dialect of Hamziye, a village in the apna region further north. These versions were recorded by the author during face to-face interviews with the narrators. The fourth version was recorded in a telephone interview with a lady who was born in the small village of Tazakand south of Urmia in Iran. Her dialect is related to, but distinct from, standard Christian Urmia.

VARIATIONS IN THE LANGUAGE

The dialects of these four versions are quite diverse. Alqosh and Telkepe are relatively closely related dialects, yet there are still quite obvious differences between the two. Hamziye is a little further removed, both geographically and linguistically, while the dialect of the Tazakand version is quite distinct from all the others. There is not space here to go into the many grammatical differences between the four dialects. Of more relevance is the variation in some of the lexical items playing an important role in the story, as in shown in the table below. The dialects are ordered geographically, from south to north. Note that words in {} brackets are not actually found in the text but are sourced from other fieldwork and added for completeness.

Eleanor Coghill, University of Cambridge

There was a "?" in the box, under the Tazakand (Iran) column, for "yoghurt." Assuming it is the same, I added "masta," as that is the word for yogurt in the Urmia dialect (a dialect related to Tazakand). 

Offline dok101

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:20 AM »
A bit from the "Reports of the Immigration Commission (1911) - United States. Immigration Commission (1907-1910)"

Assyrian.

Some of them on coming to the United States as immigrants insist that they are not Syrians, but Assyrians. It is believed that they are more properly to be considered as East Syrians...

[A]lthough so good an authority as Deniker holds that they belong to an entirely distinct race, which he calls the "Assyroid." In any case, they belong to the Syrian stock (Semites) linguistically.

This is the "Deniker" they are referring to.  From Wiki: "Joseph Deniker (March 6, 1852, Astrakhan – March 18, 1918, Paris) was a Russian-born French naturalist and anthropologist, known primarily for his attempts to develop highly-detailed maps of race in Europe."

One hundred years later, and we are still fighting the same fight.  Thankfully, genetic testing, a better understanding of our vernacular, archaeological discoveries, and other factors are helping to turn the tide in our favor in some realms.  I think John J. Nimrod would be happy with the progress.  The below bits are taken from a J.J. Goldberg article from a decade ago, "Outcasts in Iraq, Assyrians look longingly at the Jewish homeland."

"The trouble is, they consider us a religion, not an ethnic group," said former Illinois state senator John Nimrod, president of the Assyrian Universal Alliance, an umbrella for rival Assyrian groups. "What we're trying to do is tell the world who we are. We've been trying for years. But nobody notices."

Offline dok101

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 02:54:18 AM »
From an American newspaper, roughly 100 years ago:

Offline dok101

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
Hippolitus: (170 – 235 AD)

Hippolytus of Rome was the most important third-century theologian in the developing orthodox church in Rome, where he was probably born. He is described as a disciple of Irenaeus. He came into conflict with the popes of his time and seems to have headed a schismatic group as a rival bishop of Rome.

Hippolitus: Refutation of All Heresies
BOOK VII.

CHAP. XIX.--THE HERESY OF PREPON; FOLLOWS EMPEDOCLES; MARCION REJECTS THE GENERATION OF THE SAVIOUR.

The principal heresy of Marcion, and (the one of his) which is most free from admixture (with other heresies), is that which has its system formed out of the theory concerning the good and bad (God). Now this, it has been manifested by us, belongs to Empedocles. But since at present, in our times, a certain follower of Marcion, (namely) Prepon, an Assyrian, has endeavoured to introduce something more novel, and has given an account of his heresy in a work inscribed to Bardesanes, an Armenian, neither of this will I be silent. In alleging that what is just constitutes a third principle, and that it is placed intermediate between what is good and bad, Prepon of course is not able to avoid (the imputation of inculcating) the opinion of Empedocles.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:17:52 PM by dok101 »

Offline dok101

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
On both Assyrians and Chaldeans.  The clip, at the bottom of the post, is a Mandaean priest saying a few words about their faith.  Whether it is related to what is written below is open to debate.  Mandaeans, before becoming what is now a largely Arabic-speaking community, spoke a Babylonian-Aramaic dialect as a vernacular.  Their particular dialect of Aramaic, Mandaic, has many loanwords from Akkadian.  A great deal of those loans are specific to the religion of our forefathers.  See the paragraph, farthest below, for a list of some Akkadian loanwords in Mandaic.*

Hippolitus: (170 – 235 AD)

Hippolitus: Refutation of All Heresies
BOOK V.

CHAP. II.--NAASSENI ASCRIBE THEIR SYSTEM, THROUGH MARIAMNE, TO JAMES THE LORD'S BROTHER; REALLY TRACEABLE TO THE ANCIENT MYSTERIES; THEIR PSYCHOLOGY AS GIVEN IN THE "GOSPEL ACCORDING TO THOMAS;" ASSYRIAN THEORY OF THE SOUL; THE SYSTEMS OF THE NAASSENI AND THE ASSYRIANS COMPARED; SUPPORT DRAWN BY THE NAASSENI FROM THE PHRYGIAN AND EGYPTIAN MYSTERIES; THE MYSTERIES OF ISIS; THESE MYSTERIES ALLEGORIZED BY THE NAASSENI.

"Now earth," say the Greeks, "gave forth a man, (earth) first bearing a goodly gift, wishing to become mother not of plants devoid of sense, nor beasts without reason, but of a gentle and highly favoured creature." "It, however, is difficult," (the Naassene) says, "to ascertain whether Alalcomeneus, first of men, rose upon the Boeotians over Lake Cephisus; or whether it were the Idaean Curetes, a divine race; or the Phrygian Corybantes, whom first the sun beheld springing up after the manner of the growth of trees; or whether Arcadia brought forth Pelasgus, of greater antiquity than the moon; or Eleusis (produced) Diaulus, an inhabitant of Raria; or Lemnus begot Cabirus, fair child of secret orgies; or Pallerie (brought forth) the Phlegraean Alcyoneus, oldest of the giants. But the Libyans affirm that Iarbas, first born, on emerging from arid plains, commenced eating the sweet acorn of Jupiter. But the Nile of the Egyptians," he says, "up to this day fertilizing mud, (and therefore) generating animals, renders up living bodies, which acquire flesh from moist vapour." The Assyrians, however, say that fish-eating Oannes was (the first man, and) produced among themselves. The Chaldeans, however, say that this Adam is the man whom alone earth brought forth. And that he lay inanimate, unmoved, (and) still as a statue; being an image of him who is above, who is celebrated as the man Adam, having been begotten by many powers, concerning whom individually is an enlarged discussion.

In order, therefore, that finally the Great Man from above may be overpowered, "from whom," as they say, "the whole family named on earth and in the heavens has been formed, to him was given also a soul, that through the soul he might suffer; and that the enslaved image may be punished of the Great and most Glorious and Perfect Man, for even so they call him. Again, then, they ask what is the soul, and whence, and what kind in its nature, that, coming to the man and moving him, it should enslave and punish the image of the Perfect Man. They do not, however, (on this point) institute an inquiry from the Scriptures, but ask this (question) also from the mystic (rites). And they affirm that the soul is very difficult to discover, and hard to understand; for it does not remain in the same figure or the same form invariably, or in one passive condition, that either one could express it by a sign, or comprehend it substantially.

But they have these varied changes (of the soul) set down in the gospel inscribed "according to the Egyptians." They are, then, in doubt, as all the rest of men among the Gentiles, whether (the soul) is at all from something pre-existent, or whether from the self-produced (one), or from a widespread Chaos. And first they fly for refuge to the mysteries of the Assyrians, perceiving the threefold division of the man; for the Assyrians first advanced the opinion that the soul has three parts, and yet (is essentially) one. For of soul, say they, is every nature desirous, and each in a different manner. For soul is cause of all things made; all things that are nourished, (the Naassene) says, and that grow, require soul. For it is not possible, he says, to obtain any nourishment or growth where soul is not present. For even stones, he affirms, are animated, for they possess what is capable of increase; but increase would not at any time take place without nourishment, for it is by accession that things which are being increased grow, but accession is the nourishment of things that are nurtured. Every nature, then, as of thins celestial and (the Naasene) says, of things celestial, and earthly, and infernal, desires a soul. And an entity of this description the Assyrians call Adonis or Endymion; and when it is styled Adonis, Venus, he says, loves and desires the soul when styled by such a name.

In the area of loanwords, Mandaic inherited from Akkadian an abundance of termini technici concerning religion, but also many words in other areas. Despite the limitation in its attested lexicon, due to the loss of texts, Mandaic shows more Akkadian borrowings than any other Aramaic dialect. The Mandaean gnostic sect recruited from a Babylonian population, and a stock of Akkadian words had belonged to the idiom of that geographical area for some centuries. Particular borrowings in Mandaic are: priest classes, cult, divination, and magic terms: brʾyʾ < bartū “diviner,” zʾbʾ 2 “esoteric priests,” gynyʾ “sacrifice,” ʿkwrʾ < ekurru “temple,” prykʾ < parakku “altar, shrine,” pyšrʾ < pišru “dissolving of a magic bond,” ʾšp < ašāpu “to bewitch,” šʾptʾ < šiptu “incantation”; terms concerning the gnostic doctrine and cult: gynyʾ < ginû “sanctuaries,” zywʾ < zīmu “brilliance,” nʾndbyʾ < nindabû “offering,” nʾṣwrʾyʾ “watcher of secrets,” nʾṣyrwtʾ “secrecy” < niṣirtu; architectional terms: ʾngrʾ < agāru “wall,”roof,” kšwrʾ < gušūru “beam, post”; body parts: gysʾ 2 “side”; ktʾ < qātu “hand, handle,” šʾyryʾnʾ < “vein, artery”; directions of the wind, name of winds, astronomical terms: šʾrʾ <šārū “direction of the wind,” stʾnʾ < ištānu north(wind), ywniʾ 2 <ūmu 3 “storm,” tʾlyʾ < attala “eclipse.”

Dr. Christa Müller-Kessler

Originally Published: July 20, 2009

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:47:10 PM by dok101 »

Offline Shahin

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »

Text
Acts of Sharbel:
The whole city (Edessa) was assembled together near the great altar which is in the middle of the city opposite the office of records, all the gods having been brought together, and then been decorated, and set up in honour, both Nebo and Bel together with their companions. And all the high priests were offering sweet incense and libations, and the odour of the sacrifices was diffusing itself, and sheep and oxen were being slaughtered, and the voice of the harp and the tabor was heard in the whole of the city.

Bibliography
Millar 1993, 487   Millar, Fergus. The Roman Near East 31 BC - AD 337. Cambridge MA, London: Harvard University Press 1993.

Text
Doctrina Addai 32:
[After the Christian missionaire Addai performed several miraculous healings in Edessa,] Shavida and Abednebo, chiefs of the priests of this city, with Piroz and Danqu, their companions, when they saw the signs which he did, ran and threw down the altars upon which they sacrificed before Nebo and Bel, their gods, except the great altar, which was in the midst of the city.

Source
Doctrina Addai 32

Bibliography
Drijvers 1980, 34   Drijvers, Han J. W. Cults and Beliefs at Edessa. Études Préliminaires aux Religions Orientales dans l'Empire Romain 82. Leiden: E. J. Brill 1980.

Text
Doctrina Addai:
And those who became his disciples (in Edessa) received from him the Hand of Priesthood, and in their country of the Assyrians they taught the sons of their own people, and built houses of prayer there secretly, through danger of the fire worshippers and the adorers of water. And Narses the King of the Assyrians, when he heard of the things which the Apostle Addaeus did …

To Simon (was given for the missionary task) Rome, and to John fell Ephesus; to Thomas India, and to Addaeus the country of the Assyrians

Source
Doctrina Addai

Bibliography
Cureton 1864, 16, 122   Cureton, William. Ancient Syriac Documents. London: Williams and Norgate 1864 (reprint: Amsterdam: Oriental Press 1971).

Text
Jacob of Serugh, The Fall of the Idols 11.51-54, 11.59-62:
He (= Satan) put Apollo as idol in Antioch and others with him, in Edessa he set Nebo and Bel together with many others, he led astray Harran by Sin, Baˁalšamên and Bar Nemrê by my Lord with his Dogs and the goddesses Tarˁatha and Gadlat. … Mabbug made he a city of the priests of the goddess(es), and called it with his name in order that it would err forever (going after its idols). And sister of Harran, which is also devoted to the offerings; and in their error both of them love the springs.

Sources
Jacob of Serugh, The Fall of the Idols 11.51-54
Jacob of Serugh, The Fall of the Idols 11.59-62

Bibliography
Drijvers 1980, 38, 97   Drijvers, Han J. W. Cults and Beliefs at Edessa. Études Préliminaires aux Religions Orientales dans l'Empire Romain 82. Leiden: E. J. Brill 1980.

The Melammu Project
The Intellectual Heritage of Assyria and Babylonia in East and West

Off topic but can we say that Mandeans are true Babylonians/Chaldeans ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:18:57 PM by Shahin »
ܚܢܢ ܟܠܢ ܣܘܪܝܝܐ ܡܢ ܐܫܘܪ
We are all Assyrians !

Offline dok101

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »
Off topic but can we say that Mandeans are true Babylonians/Chaldeans ?

Tough question, ahuni.  This is all preliminary, but, what does appear possible, based on their former Babylonian-Aramaic vernacular, their traditions, and the very few who have DNA tested, is an association with Babylonian territories extending many centuries into the past.  

It is about putting the pieces together.  See, for example, this work, by a Mandaean scholar, on their ancient script:

"Iranian Scripts for Aramaic Languages: The Origin of the Mandaic Script"
Published in Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 341 (2006): 21–30 (Boston)
by Charles G. Haeberl
Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
Harvard University

CONCLUSION
After comparison with the other Aramaic scripts of the Parthian Empire, we can only come to the conclusion that the Parthian chancery script influenced and perhaps even gave rise to new scripts for formerly unwritten Aramaic languages such as Elymaic, Characenean, and Mandaic. If, as the evidence suggests, these three scripts derived from the Parthian chancery script, and their adoption followed the Arsacids' gradual abandonment of Hellenism from 53 C.E. onward, then the Mandaeans must have adopted their script at some point during the latter half of the period of Arsacid rule, and more specifically between the second half of the first century and the end of the second century, the terminus ante quem for the composition of Mandaic texts given by the colophons. While the written literature of the Mandaeans continued to grow during the Sassanian era and even into the Islamic period, its origins should be sought within the Arsacid era.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:34:01 PM by dok101 »

who named Froggy? the collapse of an Assyrian "empire"

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 40
Views: 11972
Last post March 16, 2006, 05:24:45 PM
by Salem
Germans are the Decendants of the Assyrian Empire ?

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 16
Views: 22937
Last post February 16, 2015, 10:32:52 AM
by mrzurnaci
Pics from the Assyrian Empire

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard Culture & History

Replies: 0
Views: 1393
Last post January 28, 2007, 05:51:45 AM
by Free_Assyria
Assyrian Empire