Author Topic: So what do you guys think makes us Assyrian?  (Read 285 times)

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
So what do you guys think makes us Assyrian?
« on: September 04, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »
I haven't given this too much though but what do you think makes us Assyrian?

How do we define who is Assyrian or not?

My conclusion was language and connection to Mesopotamia but what do you guys think?

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
Re: So what do you guys think makes us Assyrian?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:33:06 AM »
Your ethnicity, no?

If you have Assyrian parents you're Assyrian. If you have one Assyrian parent, you're half Assyrian.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »
Your ethnicity, no?

If you have Assyrian parents you're Assyrian. If you have one Assyrian parent, you're half Assyrian.

yea but how would you define it? How would u consider who's Assyrian or not?

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
Definitely the language! ......That's what makes someone an Assyrian in my opinion! Our language is our identity. That's why I walk around the house correcting my family whenever they use foreign words.

Literally if one of my non-Assyrian friends learns the Assyrian language and starts fluently speaking to me in Assyrian, I would feel some kind of bond or connection to them. I just get SOOOOOOOO happy whenever someone asks me about Assyrian words/meanings and stuff like that.
It would be okay for me if my non-Assyrian (aka foreigner) friend doesn't know how to dance khigga or has no knowledge about our traditions whatsoever.. as long as he/she starts learning the language and know how to speak it....everything else is then "sanay qa lyapa"

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
Definitely the language! ......That's what makes someone an Assyrian in my opinion! Our language is our identity. That's why I walk around the house correcting my family whenever they use foreign words.

Literally if one of my non-Assyrian friends learns the Assyrian language and starts fluently speaking to me in Assyrian, I would feel some kind of bond or connection to them. I just get SOOOOOOOO happy whenever someone asks me about Assyrian words/meanings and stuff like that.
It would be okay for me if my non-Assyrian (aka foreigner) friend doesn't know how to dance khigga or has no knowledge about our traditions whatsoever.. as long as he/she starts learning the language and know how to speak it....everything else is then "sanay qa lyapa"

So your friends easily learned Assyrian but then we have Assyrians whining that the language is too hard lol

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
So your friends easily learned Assyrian but then we have Assyrians whining that the language is too hard lol
he bala! ...makes me sad every time. Once I was baby-sitting our relatives' kid (3 or 5 years old) and he could only speak Danish to me and I had no idea what he was saying so I kept answering him in Assyrian "I don't get you honey! Len parmoyeh! but it's not your fault.. it's your parents' fault -_- " ..There was like zero communication between us, because we kept repeating our words and then just got tired and sat there silent.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 11:05:56 PM »
he bala! ...makes me sad every time. Once I was baby-sitting our relatives' kid (3 or 5 years old) and he could only speak Danish to me and I had no idea what he was saying so I kept answering him in Assyrian "I don't get you honey! Len parmoyeh! but it's not your fault.. it's your parents' fault -_- " ..There was like zero communication between us, because we kept repeating our words and then just got tired and sat there silent.

well he's just a little kid, all I could say is just keeping on talking sureth to him.

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
well he's just a little kid, all I could say is just keeping on talking sureth to him.
Yeah I did. Kept talking to him even though he was looking at me like I was from another planet lol. I wasn't angry at him, I was more like sad actually. Frustrated.
I was mad at the parents, though!!! Cause I see NO REASON for why they hadn't taught him how to speak, especially since they were both fluent Assyrian speakers -.-

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
Yeah I did. Kept talking to him even though he was looking at me like I was from another planet lol. I wasn't angry at him, I was more like sad actually. Frustrated.
I was mad at the parents, though!!! Cause I see NO REASON for why they hadn't taught him how to speak, especially since they were both fluent Assyrian speakers -.-

cuz alot of Assyrian parents are too laid back when it comes to kids.
It really isn't hard to teach little kids sureth either. Just talk to them in Sureth and they'll start understanding aka language acquisition ("shqalota d'leshana")

Offline shekwanta

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
cuz alot of Assyrian parents are too laid back when it comes to kids.
It really isn't hard to teach little kids sureth either. Just talk to them in Sureth and they'll start understanding aka language acquisition ("shqalota d'leshana")
EXACTLY!! Bala I wanted to say this before, but I don't know why I just didn't type it. I was gonna say do you know how fast kids learn a language?? If there is any age in which people learn fluently, it's childhood.

My mom used to literally force us EVERY summer holiday to sit down and learn sureth with her! And we used to cry and get angry and be like "why are you doing this to us?? this is our only holiday! We don't want school all year long!"  And we used to literally HATE summer, cause we faced this "problem" always. And then when we grew up (approx 13 years old), she started sending us to church every summer, so we learned Assyrian through shamasheh and qasheh as well.. so you can tell how strict she was when it came to the language. Ironically, she only cared about the language! History and traditions (Assyrianism) weren't as important.

But Now that I think about it.. I mean it's the best thing she did! In fact, I will do the same to my kids someday. Now, wherever I go I can proudly say that I can speak + write + read Assyrian and people get astonished and I love the reaction hahaha. I will forever be thankful to my mom for doing this! FOREVER.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:23:58 PM by shekwanta »

nice assyrian guys have tough life...

Started by manuel50Board Chit Chat

Replies: 57
Views: 2756
Last post December 07, 2005, 07:13:38 PM
by SweeTy
Assyrian Makes it to the Final Rounds of Assyrian Idol in NZ

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 11
Views: 882
Last post July 31, 2006, 06:33:01 PM
by Free_Assyria
Two Assyrian Guys from New Zealand working on a Project.

Started by ValantinaBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 31
Views: 1666
Last post August 11, 2006, 01:24:46 AM
by Valantina
Assyrian comedic makes it. Watch his skit on Showtime this September

Started by chaldeanBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 9
Views: 501
Last post August 18, 2006, 07:55:44 PM
by BeLLaMaFIa
What makes you proud to be Assyrian?