Author Topic: Iraq: Kurdish President Today. Assyrian President Tomorrow?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Iraq: Kurdish President Today. Assyrian President Tomorrow?
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:42:43 AM »
Few would have seen a day where the Iraqi president would be a Kurd. But it is here now.

And I bet you almost everyone thinks it is impossible for an Assyrian Christian to one day be the president of Iraq. And yes, it is almost impossible, but if you look far in the future of Iraq, it may not be after all...

As Iraq becomes more liberal, more democratic, more civil, more modern, more tolerant, an Assyrian Christian president is not an unlikely scenario.

In fact, such an unprecedented move would send such a powerful signal about how far Iraq has come. And what is more fitting than to install a native as the president? even if the post is symbolic.

I truly have a dream, where Iraq will one day be governed by a president who is Assyrian or just Christian.

But to get to that day, a lot has to give, starting from these very elections we are going through now....

ASHOOR

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Re: Iraq: Kurdish President Today. Assyrian President Tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:52 AM »
If Iraq wants to truly move away from sectarianism, they better start implementing these symbolic gestures. Of course, the majority Muslim population is not ready to hand the presidency to a Christian, whose population is less than 5% of Iraq's population. But that is exactly the point: it is no longer about percentages, sects, religions etc. Iraq is too complicated the way it is, and the only way to move past these differences is to embrace everyone the way they are, under one Iraq.

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:35:22 AM »
Baby steps barshee!!!  Let's work on getting more than one seat first nasha!!  :loool: :yourock:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:35:22 AM »

Offline Hanuni

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »
Few would have seen a day where the Iraqi president would be a Kurd. But it is here now.

And I bet you almost everyone thinks it is impossible for an Assyrian Christian to one day be the president of Iraq. And yes, it is almost impossible, but if you look far in the future of Iraq, it may not be after all...

As Iraq becomes more liberal, more democratic, more civil, more modern, more tolerant, an Assyrian Christian president is not an unlikely scenario.

In fact, such an unprecedented move would send such a powerful signal about how far Iraq has come. And what is more fitting than to install a native as the president? even if the post is symbolic.

I truly have a dream, where Iraq will one day be governed by a president who is Assyrian or just Christian.

But to get to that day, a lot has to give, starting from these very elections we are going through now....

ASHOOR

I do not give a crap if the president is a Christian. But I do give tons of crap if the president is Assyrian as it will be a victory for the Assyrian nation.
“Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood.”

-Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Senalco

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:03:29 AM »
I think there is a Law in the Iraqi Constitution, even the New one that Forbids non Muslims From ruling Iraq or becoming presidents.

In the past, the Closest we got was Tariq Aziz but even he i think had to convert to Islam or at least pretend to be converting to Islam before he was allowed to keep his Role...

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
I think there is a Law in the Iraqi Constitution, even the New one that Forbids non Muslims From ruling Iraq or becoming presidents.

In the past, the Closest we got was Tariq Aziz but even he i think had to convert to Islam or at least pretend to be converting to Islam before he was allowed to keep his Role...

I knew about the constitution part bro, and I forgot to mention it. And that is the point: when Iraq undergoes so much change for the better, you can also change the constitution like the Kurds managed to.

Like Ashur said, baby steps lol.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:21:47 AM »
Beleive it or not, that is what I mean by future: decades rather than a few years. Maybe 50 years is stretching it a little bit, but something close to that.

The point is this: if Iraq keeps changing for the better, and Iraqis elect more secular candidates and move away from religious candidates, there will come a day when it becomes where it will be a true democracy ( at least by Arab standards)

The key is for Iraq is to keep embracing democracy and going forward.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »
It is not just about that, but Iraq has to send a powerful signal to its Arab neighbours as well: we may be an Arab country, but we don't adhere to your ideals of dictatorship and oppression. And you do that by embracing democracy and going as far as not being racist as to who gets the presidency. Sure, the PM position may always be a Arab one, but the president is symbolic and should be free to anyone who is able to take it.

ASHOOR

Offline ASHUR

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »
Let's get them to count our votes first.  We got a long way to go.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:43:08 AM »

ASHOOR

They are not allowing our utma to vote and you dreaming about an Assyrian President of Iraq? sorry dude, I believe if Iraq stay like this no one will be left in Atra or Iraq.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
What a coincidence? I just got this as an email forward, it is an article by an Iraqi Muslim author, and he too is asking for the Iraqi president to be Christian. This guy is less patient than me, and wants this done now rather than later.

أتكلم عن نفسي فقط كمواطن عراقي عربي ومسلم بالوراثة لم أختر هويتي القومية والدينية، ولكني حددت موقفي منهما فيما بعد، أطالب بأن يكون رئيس الجمهورية عراقيا مسيحياً ليس شرطا ممن فاز في الأنتخابات المزورة الحالية، علما لابد من الأعتراف و بعيدا عن المثاليات الرومانسية والشعارات.. لايوجد في المجتمعات الشرقية إيمان حقيقي بمبدأ المواطنة والمساواة... ففي هذه المجتمعات من يتصدر الأولوية في الأنتماء هي الأنتماءات: العائلية والعشائرية والطائفية والقومية والحزبية، أما الأنتماء الوطني فهو ضعيف جدا وغير مؤثر في السلوك السياسي للأفراد والجماعات، والمثير للأستهجان ان الموقف الوحيد الذي يظهر فيه الأنتماء الوطني هو في مباراة كرة القدم ومسابقات ستار أكاديمي!

ورغم عدم وجود إيمان حقيقي بمبدأ المواطنة والمساواة.. إلا أنني كمواطن أطالب بشدة ان يكون للعراق رئيسا مسيحيا للأسباب التالية:

- الثقة المطلقة بالمواطن العراقي المسيحي.. فهو طوال تاريخه لم يحمل السلاح ويقتل أبناء شعبه، ولم يتعاون مع المخابرات الروسية والإيرانية والسورية والليبية بقصد التخريب وقتل العراقيين.

- العراقي المسيحي.. سواء كان الكلداني أو الأشوري أو السرياني يتعامل مع العراق من منطلق مشاعر الأبوة المؤسسة لتاريخ هذا البلد، فالحضارة السومرية والبابلية والاشورية... المسيحيون الذين يعيشون اليوم هم أحفادها، واجدادهم طوال آلاف السنين تعبوا وضحوا ودافعوا وبنوا بلاد الرافدين، وكتبوا الحروف الأولى للحضارة الانسانية، ومن منطلق مشاعر الأبوة التاريخية هذه سيكون الرئيس المسيحي هو أحرص من غيره على مصالح العراق.

- العراقي المسيحي ليس لديه مشروع أنفصالي لتقسيم العراق وتمزيقه لغرض أضعافه وتحطيمه تدريجيا بشكل منظم من خلال التغلغل في مؤسسات الدولة تحت ذريعة المحاصصة ومن ثم التآمر من الداخل على العراق، مع العلم أنا أؤيد بشدة وجود وطن مستقل للمسيحيين في العراق بسبب استحالة العيش بحرية وأمان معنا نحن المسلمين.

- العراقي المسيحي سوف لن ينحاز الى أية جهة.. بسبب شعوره بالأبوة التاريخية للعراق، وان هذا الوطن من بناه ونضح العرق والدم من أجله هم أجداده الذين كتبوا تاريخ حضارة بلاد الرافدين.

- ثبت منذ الغزو الأسلامي للعراق ولغاية الآن.. أن العراقي المسيحي كان على الدوام مواطنا مسالما نافعا لوطنه، لم يقم بأي عمل ضد المجتمع والوطن، ولم يرفع السلاح ويقتل أبناء شعبه.

- حينما يتولى عراقي مسيحي منصب رئاسة الجمهورية.. ستكون خطوة رمزية هامة لكسر المناخ الطائفي والقومي السائد في العراق، ويعطي رسالة للمواطن العراقي بأن الأساس في شروط تولي مناصب الدولة هي الكفاءة والنزاهة فقط، وليس المحاصصة والصفقات المشبوهة والأنتماءات الطائفية والقومية.

أن أبناء شعبنا مسيحيو العراق هم قلب العراق الى جانب اخوانهم الصابئة، وهؤلاء آن الأوان ان نعتذر منهم بهذه الخطوة الرمزية عن سنين الاضطهاد والقمع الذي تعرضوا له على يدنا نحن المسلمين منذ أن أستعمرنا العراق ولغاية الوقت الراهن.

ASHOOR

Offline khayaatour

• lova dat
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:13:31 AM »
What a coincidence? I just got this as an email forward, it is an article by an Iraqi Muslim author, and he too is asking for the Iraqi president to be Christian. This guy is less patient than me, and wants this done now rather than later.
ASHOOR

I wud really dance ass of me if a christian from Iraq be a new president of Iraq, even if this Christian is Youndam Kanna, I wud really be happy cause its big big big big step for our umta to get a such big position.

Wait... We had an Assyrian president in Iraq?

Started by Assyrian NationalistBoard Culture & History

Replies: 2
Views: 471
Last post September 21, 2014, 09:31:05 AM
by ASHOOR
Kurdish mob attacks Assyrian school children in N.Iraq (Assyrianvoice homepage)

Started by DamailBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 7
Views: 1537
Last post May 28, 2006, 06:27:26 PM
by Free_Assyria
Isn't our Kurdish Iraqi President a Little too Fat? LOL

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 8
Views: 1200
Last post December 12, 2006, 06:56:26 AM
by sargonthedon
if i was the president of iraq!!