Author Topic: Kurdish Minister Has No Objection to Assyrian Christian Administrative Area  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Audacious

San Diego, CA (AINA) -- In a public forum organized by the Kurdish Center for Human Rights on February 18th, 2006, the Kurdistan Regional Government's Minister of Human Rights discussed their latest findings of mass graves filled with hundreds of victims of the Saddam Hussein regime. The victims were mostly Kurds belonging to the Barazani clan of the late Masoud Barazani, but also included 37 Assyrian (also known as Chaldean and Syriac) Christians belonging to the village of Harireh, neighboring the Barazani villages. The ministry's research shows the heroic stand that these Harireh Assyrian Christians took, along with their Kurdish neighbors, despite the option given to them by the Saddam Regime to denounce the Kurdish stand and be set free, as their wives and children had already done.

In an answer to a question from the participants on the potential of improving human rights abuses against the minority Christian population and having an administrative area for the Assyrian Christians of Iraq, the Minister answered: "To my knowledge, there are efforts by the KRG underway, in some villages, including Dairaboun and Ainishkeh to pay Kurdish families 10,000 each to leave these ChaldoAssyiran villages and return them to their rightful owners". The minister also added that "We have no objection towards the gathering of Christians, wherever they so choose, nor do we object to the creation of a new province for them in the Nineveh Plain, to gather all Iraqi Christians from around the world to return to their homes and villages".

http://www.aina.org/news/20060225231434.htm

The coolest game on Earth.

Offline sydneydude

• Mid-Level Member
  • making no mistakes determines certain victory
    • http://myspace.com/peteresho
the ball has started rolling. it is now our time to get behind the most powerful and legitimate vehicle and aim for this plan...working in unity and not in isolation. im personally with Zowaa as this dream is slowly looking like a realistic opportunity. good news thanks for posting it

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member
.... in some villages, including Dairaboun and Ainishkeh to pay Kurdish families 10,000 each to leave these ChaldoAssyiran villages and return them to their rightful owners". The minister also added that "We have no objection towards the gathering of Christians, wherever they so choose, nor do we object to the creation of a new province for them in the Nineveh Plain, to gather all Iraqi Christians from around the world to return to their homes and villages".

This is really good news!  But i doubt that many people will go back though.... But its a start, at least the remainder of our people can live in peace in their homeland....

Assyrian Voice Forum

Offline Enki

• Ron Paul 2012
This is really good news!  But i doubt that many people will go back though.... But its a start, at least the remainder of our people can live in peace in their homeland....

Senan, I think the key would be for the Assyrian force in Iraq (Zowaa) to arm up their militia to the teeth and to show their presance in the streets. At least to make the Assyrians within the villiage feel safe. Even though we know a car bomb or a suicide bomber is probably around the corner, at least with an armed presence it can somewhat ease their fears.

Another key thing to get people to return to Iraq are grants by the "Assyrian Government". Like the Kurds do, they pay Kurds to settle in key areas (Kirkuk, Mosul, Qamishly, etc) and it looks like they're payin them to leave too...lol

I think with those grants more and more would A) Stay and B) come back.

Remember, there are a **** load of us in Jordan and Syria who ran away when the war started. I think we need to entice them to come back and settle in KEY villages and cities.

I think we need all of them to settle in the Nineveh Plains.

I think our stay in Baghdad has run out and that all of those people living in Dora and other Assyrian districts in Baghdad and even in Basra in the south, should leave to the North and increase our numbers and presence there. A lot of these people ar civil engineers, doctors, teachers. All very highly educated people. Their presence and influence in the North could be key for us to establish an independant state or at the very least, a self-governing region under the Kurdish Authority with no limitations.
"If you don't want to be criticized, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing!"

Offline Senan

• Mid-Level Member

Senan, I think the key would be for the Assyrian force in Iraq (Zowaa) to arm up their militia to the teeth and to show their presance in the streets. At least to make the Assyrians within the villiage feel safe. Even though we know a car bomb or a suicide bomber is probably around the corner, at least with an armed presence it can somewhat ease their fears.

Another key thing to get people to return to Iraq are grants by the "Assyrian Government". Like the Kurds do, they pay Kurds to settle in key areas (Kirkuk, Mosul, Qamishly, etc) and it looks like they're payin them to leave too...lol

I think with those grants more and more would A) Stay and B) come back.

Remember, there are a **** load of us in Jordan and Syria who ran away when the war started. I think we need to entice them to come back and settle in KEY villages and cities.

I think we need all of them to settle in the Nineveh Plains.

I think our stay in Baghdad has run out and that all of those people living in Dora and other Assyrian districts in Baghdad and even in Basra in the south, should leave to the North and increase our numbers and presence there. A lot of these people ar civil engineers, doctors, teachers. All very highly educated people. Their presence and influence in the North could be key for us to establish an independant state or at the very least, a self-governing region under the Kurdish Authority with no limitations.

I see what u mean, but like u said, this will benefit the assyrians that have fled to jordan, syria, turkey and iran.  becuase the ones in the west, most have established them selves there and are used to the western living, they wont want to go back to live in nineveh plains.  Perhaps some might go and open a buisness or buy a pice of land there, but they will not move back, at least the younger generations wont.  Dont forget,our people have been fleeing their villages since early 1900's. 

Now what zowaa should do  is creat a city for assyrians, instead of rebuilding a bunch of small towns and villages.  this way their united, regardless the different religious sects.  becuase having a bunch of villages with a few hundred people in them will NOT guarentee a strong stance against arabs and kurds. 

As for the people living in baghdad and basra, i personally have family that have fled baghdad to the north and i hope the rest of my family does the same.  But its hard for some people becuase they already have jobs in baghdad and basra, and leaving all that behind and moving to the north will be very tough to make a living. 

Offline Enki

• Ron Paul 2012
You're right in the sence that a lot of the people from the west wont go back. But, how many of them are refugees? The governments in the west can easily take back their refugee status and send them back if they feel the refugee's life is no longer in danger.

I'm hoping this does happen. I hate seeing people flee. You're right, we've been leaving since the early 1900's and we're still leaving every day. This is a trend that needs to be stopped. And again, the only way for this is if those people feel safe and are able to live happy and secure lives (both financially and security).

Even though a lot of Assyrians live in the west, I'm sure if there was an Assyria or an Assyrian autonomous region and it was fairly successfull, that we'd have a bunch of us go back as tourists and spend tourist dollars into the country/region.

Sadly, we really dont have a lot of natural resources we can use to make money and will need to rely on manufacturing and possibly agriculture to make that money. But the best source of revenue, in my opinion, we could use would be to exploit our history and historical sites. Similiar to what the Egyptians do. I think if we start promoting these things and build a strong tourisim plan through that, we can generate a lot of revenue that way.....

Look at me i'm thinking ahead of myself again....lol

Ah whatever, good news anyway!
"If you don't want to be criticized, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing!"

Chaldean Bishop Calls for Assyrian Administrative Area in Iraq

Started by GGBWBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1237
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:22:52 PM
by GGBW
Swedish Major Party Votes to Support Assyrian Administrative Area

Started by ZawoyoBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 1079
Last post October 25, 2011, 06:08:46 PM
by Zawoyo
Petition for Assyrian Administrative Area

Started by ZawoyoBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 9
Views: 1363
Last post October 30, 2011, 08:35:21 PM
by Hanuni
Two Christian (possibly Assyrian) Girls Playing Beach Volley in Bikinis!!!

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 10
Views: 2701
Last post December 14, 2006, 01:49:24 PM
by deedee
Assyrian Man Kidnapped, Beaten By Kurdish Militia

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 2
Views: 1082
Last post September 15, 2007, 01:46:49 PM
by jonadona