Author Topic: ****Interesting Old Assyrian Pictures****  (Read 4439 times)

Offline rumrum

• http://www.ramsen.net
****Interesting Old Assyrian Pictures****
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:43 AM »
This was an assyrian red cross in new york

1903 group pic:

Assyrian church in 1927, Gary Indiana:

Convention 1955, Chicago: 

Offline peachy

• Ultimate Member
Re: ****Interesting Old Assyrian Pictures****
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 01:24:15 AM »
Wow.

Offline Ashuriena

• Ultimate Member
  • I have a crocodile in my pants.
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »
Crazy...I love the last picture...but maybe because I love the beauty of the 50s.
I find out who sprayed it, and I'm puttin' you under the pavement. No Buddhist priest, Catholic or Baptist pastor can save him. I'm far from religious, but I got beliefs. So, I put canary yellow diamonds on my Jesus piece. - Game

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »

Offline Enki

• Ron Paul 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 01:58:26 AM »
Look at the civilness....look at the class!

Very nice pics Ramsin! I hope those are copies and the originals are stored in a safe place!
"If you don't want to be criticized, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing!"

Offline .CaNdLe.

• Special Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 02:19:32 AM »
Wow........love old pics!

lets share some of our old pics  :)

Offline miranda

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 03:22:29 AM »

great pic rammmmmmmmmmmmmmsen :mrgreen:

Offline BraTeiL

• Mid-Level Member
  • Benjamin!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 03:30:23 AM »
heey,

love those pictures! so keep them coming
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.

Offline JooJee

• Down to ride till the very end..
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 08:31:11 AM »
wow those are awesome!!!  everything looked so organised!
When the world seems to shine, like you've had too much wine...that's Amore... <3

Offline carro

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 08:33:33 AM »
intresting pics  :)

Offline MalekthaA2RETA

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 09:06:20 AM »
at the 3rd table in the middle row facing the camera are my mom, dad, nana and uncle.............wow! blast from the past.......at an assyrian convention.............i wasn't even thought of then!!  :)

also, i attended carter west-minster............

Offline rumrum

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 09:51:28 AM »
Thanks guys :)

These pictures were taken at an Assyrian American National Federation (AANF) cultural display WAYYYY back in Novemenber 2001.

There were more but I didn't take that many.  Most of them are at the Assyrian Universal Alliance (AUA) building.  There are a TON of artifacts still in tact, and yes riza, still safe :)

It just goes to show you the history of Assyrians in the Chicago area...and Assyrians in general.  We didn't just get here in the 1990's...we have BEEN here for over a 100 years, and sadly to say, back then was our 'golden ages' :\

Unless we have something to say to that.

Offline atourina

• I Am The Best :)
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »
wow.. look at the convention back then...

way different than now..

**Mean Girls Club**

Offline baklawa

• Golden Member
  • No puppets allowed
    • Assyrian Aid Society of America
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 11:58:21 AM »
wow.. look at the convention back then...

way different than now..

Definitely.  Now it looks like a video shoot for Snoop Dog.
"January 2010, the nail in the coffin, the day Zowaa will die." Hilarious prediction posted by "chaldean."
March 2010: Zowaa wins 3 out of 5 seats in the Iraqi Parliament!

Offline MalekthaA2RETA

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 12:12:33 PM »
It was very "classy" back then.

I am a product of that generation.

It was Great, until the 70's.........then the riots broke out and when assyrians picked up too many arab customs and forgot who they really were is what my nana would say...........she said they lived with arabia too long and had kussyuta arabia.......

Assyrians were held in High esteem.  People either didn't know who we were or they were highly educated and very much impressed, to meet a real live assyrian.

No front page drug, shop lifting,murders or other criminal activity naming assyrians then.  We were prominent and prestigious members of society.  Very family oriented people who stressed education and purchased real estate in what is now termed the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately when the "shootings", etc. started happening from the new arrivals it made many of this generation pull back and assimilate into the american culture.  could you blame them?  what did they have in common with these criminals?  our parties, weddings, picnics, conventions were completely destroyed by their criiminal beahavior. Picnics had to be held with secret locations to avoid shootings....... I never, gave up my identity or lied and said I was Italian or Greek as many others did out of shame but my heart was broken.  It was never to be the same again.  My fairy tale, up bringing was to be gone forever, the bubble had burst.  I wrote letters to the Assyrian Star, etc.  and received a letter back that there are good and bad in all nationalities, we had indeed been fortunate not to have known the dregs of our culture until the 1970s.  Not that all were bad but the ones that were made the devil look good completely destroying our way of doing things........our beautiful picnics and weddings at the top hotels downtown chicago had to offer.  all the generations coming together in love and tradition..................ahhhhh, a blast from the past, indeed.  Thanks for that, Rum.

Offline rumrum

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »
It was very "classy" back then.

I am a product of that generation.

It was Great, until the 70's.........then the riots broke out and when assyrians picked up too many arab customs and forgot who they really were is what my nana would say...........she said they lived with arabia too long and had kussyuta arabia.......

Assyrians were held in High esteem.  People either didn't know who we were or they were highly educated and very much impressed, to meet a real live assyrian.

No front page drug, shop lifting,murders or other criminal activity naming assyrians then.  We were prominent and prestigious members of society.  Very family oriented people who stressed education and purchased real estate in what is now termed the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately when the "shootings", etc. started happening from the new arrivals it made many of this generation pull back and assimilate into the american culture.  could you blame them?  what did they have in common with these criminals?  our parties, weddings, picnics, conventions were completely destroyed by their criiminal beahavior. Picnics had to be held with secret locations to avoid shootings....... I never, gave up my identity or lied and said I was Italian or Greek as many others did out of shame but my heart was broken.  It was never to be the same again.  My fairy tale, up bringing was to be gone forever, the bubble had burst.  I wrote letters to the Assyrian Star, etc.  and received a letter back that there are good and bad in all nationalities, we had indeed been fortunate not to have known the dregs of our culture until the 1970s.  Not that all were bad but the ones that were made the devil look good completely destroying our way of doing things........our beautiful picnics and weddings at the top hotels downtown chicago had to offer.  all the generations coming together in love and tradition..................ahhhhh, a blast from the past, indeed.  Thanks for that, Rum.

Anytime :)

I have researched Assyrians in Chicago in the early 20th century and it as indeed astonishing.  People now don't realize that we have been in this area for over a century.  Like you mentioned we, RAN Rush St. and the surrounding area... think of it like modern-era Devon Ave. with the Indians, but not just a street but an entire blocked radius.  There were even accounts that some of Al Capone's top hench-men were Assyrian ;) hehehe

Sadly, that was our 'renessaince' period for Assyrians in America.  As stated earlier as well, we deteriorated greatly in the past decades.  Much to migrations from our people in the homeland due to atrocities and war.  They changed the american fabric we were used to unfortunately.  And you're right lovely, many did assimilate greatly to avoid being labeled and such.  Which, you could argue was right/wrong...but the two cultural differences were so great I don't blame them.  First and foremost, they were the TRUE Assyrians, and not the b-s 'proud to be Assyrian' we have going on now.  As I always state, proud of what???  Back then they had actual tangible things to show for it....many clubs, churches, and organizations that actually did something!

And if you think that assimilation was bad?  Wait till you see the next couple of generations.... they will be worse!  Atleast the previous group had something to show for their work...what have we got to show for us now???

Offline KhIgGaAaAaAa

• Mid-Level Member
  • GAWAR POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »
yea but cause of the times most assimilated into american culture.  i know that in NY for a fact we prob have 10X more assimilated assyrians who dont know who they are rather then the "new" assyrian that came in the 70's and 80's. 

those 2 groups didnt like each other lol haha  the old assyrians werent assyrian enuf and the new assyrians werent american enuf lol haha they always beefed, here in NY at least. 
Hooooy nazeh, nazeh, nazeh
hoooy nazeh shqilteyt libbee
la hoya shumthut libbee
dowkhineh qatekh khubee

hoooy nazeh bratit thoora
la daryet libbee noora
bit hawin qatekh khowra

hoooy nazeh bratit shara
belbooseyt mekh doh sahra
khazinekh b zreqtit bahra

Offline *M*

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
That last picture is worth a thousand words...so, so beautiful.
If only our conventions looked like that nowadays...

Offline Nat927

• Hallowww....
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 09:56:20 PM »
awesome pics!!!

words cant explain the beauty and class
"Kishmishe kishmish bala bayen'ah"

Offline Strawberry Ice

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 10:08:10 PM »
Crazy...I love the last picture...but maybe because I love the beauty of the 50s.

I love it too...that picture and the 50s...If I could go back in time Id wanna be in the 50s.

Offline rumrum

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 11:09:12 PM »

I love it too...that picture and the 50s...If I could go back in time Id wanna be in the 50s.

hahaha you guys are so looking with tunnel vision! hahaha  I don't know if you guys know, but the 50's weren't all 'innocent' as you think.  Sure its depicted like that on TV and such, b/c that was how the media was back then and NOT reflective of the times! HELLO...HAS ANYONE WATCHED 'GREASE'??? hahaha  :shades:

I asked the curator of AUA about this pic and he was telling me that it was taken of the Sunday night dinner banquet they have at every convention (its before the 'real' party and usually costs more $ to attend)... that is why everyone is all nice and classy :P  He said even conventions back then had guys with the black leather jackets and girls with those funky skirts and such... so it wasn't all innocent as you guys think! C'MON PEOPLE WE ARE ASSYRIAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! hahaha

Offline Ashuriena

• Ultimate Member
  • I have a crocodile in my pants.
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 11:14:27 PM »

hahaha you guys are so looking with tunnel vision! hahaha  I don't know if you guys know, but the 50's weren't all 'innocent' as you think.  Sure its depicted like that on TV and such, b/c that was how the media was back then and NOT reflective of the times! HELLO...HAS ANYONE WATCHED 'GREASE'??? hahaha  :shades:

I asked the curator of AUA about this pic and he was telling me that it was taken of the Sunday night dinner banquet they have at every convention (its before the 'real' party and usually costs more $ to attend)... that is why everyone is all nice and classy :P  He said even conventions back then had guys with the black leather jackets and girls with those funky skirts and such... so it wasn't all innocent as you guys think! C'MON PEOPLE WE ARE ASSYRIAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! hahaha

Hahaha, don't destroy our TV fantasies of how the 50s were! Hahahahahaha!  :mrgreen:
I find out who sprayed it, and I'm puttin' you under the pavement. No Buddhist priest, Catholic or Baptist pastor can save him. I'm far from religious, but I got beliefs. So, I put canary yellow diamonds on my Jesus piece. - Game

Offline ultoMa

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 11:26:22 PM »
did you know that leave it to beaver was an assyrian idea?....yup, it's true.

the original title was "leave it to barkho" but it was stolen by some snot nose white surburban kid...

Offline Assy Gal

• I LOVE THE OILERS TO DEATH!!
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 12:48:34 AM »
did you know that leave it to beaver was an assyrian idea?....yup, it's true.

the original title was "leave it to barkho" but it was stolen by some snot nose white surburban kid...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nice pics!

Offline Uneek

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 09:00:21 PM »
the last pic looks like they were in those fancy oscar awards crap, very nice :mrgreen:
What you think about me is your opinion, what you know about me is what people say, and what you think you know about me isn’t me at all.
Author: I DUNNO!

Offline WhosYourBaghdaddy?

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 01:58:39 AM »
I always wondered why most of our older generation men (grandfathers) wear suits (complete with a tie and hat) everyday casually. I guess it was the style back in their wild 50s days! I know someone who wears a suit even when he goes out fishing (for the men, i mean fishing for fish in the water ;)). lol.

Offline KhIgGaAaAaAa

• Mid-Level Member
  • GAWAR POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »
they wore suits cause they were big pimpin, they wore fidoras and everything. 

i remember seeing old b/w pics of my sawoo in turkey and he always rocked the 3 piece suit and cap lol haha pimp by blood not relation

anyway this change in styles and attitude is not just limited to assyrians.  culture and society in general was more maqul and respectable back in those days.  these days all of the young people in america try to act gangsta or punk rock, its evident across the board not just assyrians. 

the only thing missing in that picture is 2 drunk guys tryin to stab each other, people tryin to throw a couch over the balcony and kitcheh using shaleh as youpkeh lookin for some men!!  thats what conventionmeans to me!! 
hoooy nazeh shqilteyt libbee
la hoya shumthut libbee
dowkhineh qatekh khubee

hoooy nazeh bratit thoora
la daryet libbee noora
bit hawin qatekh khowra

hoooy nazeh bratit shara
belbooseyt mekh doh sahra
khazinekh b zreqtit bahra

Offline miranda

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 09:11:24 PM »
i remember seeing old b/w pics of my sawoo in turkey and he always rocked the 3 piece suit and cap lol haha pimp by blood not relation

:lol: :lol: :lol:   

interesting, maybe assyrian?

Started by skipperBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 7
Views: 785
Last post April 10, 2006, 09:47:30 PM
by skipper
Assyrian Voice Pictures FAQ

Started by ASHOORBoard Assyrian Voice Help & Resources

Replies: 4
Views: 3575
Last post October 03, 2007, 11:29:40 PM
by ASHOOR
Very Interesting Facts about Assyrian Voice

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 72
Views: 3416
Last post September 25, 2006, 07:57:44 PM
by Valantina
FIRST-PERSON: Assyrian haircut (Interesting Real Story)

Started by ASHOORBoard Culture & History

Replies: 3
Views: 963
Last post October 07, 2006, 09:26:34 PM
by Angel2
You Can now See the Pictures of Assyrian Martyrs

Started by ASHOORBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 1
Views: 661
Last post November 04, 2006, 04:18:35 PM
by ASHOOR