Author Topic: Possibly the BEST Syriac Aramaic Language learning resource?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Român

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
Shlama Everyone!

With the rising number of Human Beings that are interested in learning [Syriac Aramaic/Assyrian/Modern Neo-Aramaic/Syriac - and all the other names that this language goes by...] and the lack of many "free" resources to learn the language, it basically causes a "Admiration-Problematic" relationship between the community that wants to learn Syriac (The admiration), and the lack of resources (which of course is the Problem). 
Well, that is the reason why I am starting a new thread.

I don't know how many of you have heard of https://www.duolingo.com/ , but just in case you need some background info. on what duolingo is, I can provide that in a simple statement - Free, language learning virtual software that bring us the most efficient way to learn a foreign language (even from scratch) in the world that we live in today.
Duolingo provides language learning in 10 languages as of today (Dutch, French, Portuguese, German, Turkish, Italian, Danish, Irish, Swedish, and Spanish). Ok, so we know what duolingo is... your question might be "What does any of this have to do with learning Syriac Aramaic? -   
The Answer:
Duolingo launched something called the "Duolingo Incubator" back in October 2013, where Volunteers fluent in their native language and another create, and add more languages to Duolingo. I am part of the Incubator in which I am a Contributor to the 'Romanian for English Speakers course'. Currently in the incubator there are many languages including Greek, Hebrew, Russian, Romanian, Hungarian, Polish, Esperanto, Norwegian... even Klingon, with more that will be added soon such as Czech, Arabic, Hindi, Bengali...
You might be thinking - Ok Român, cool information, but I still don't see what any of this has to do with the BEST Syriac language learning resource?!?! -
In order to get a language "in the works on duolingo, a team of people that can speak and write the language at least as good as a native speaker are required. I thought I might be able to find a few people here on the Assyrian Forum that might know the Eastern Dialect since there is a relativley good number of duolingo users that might be interested in learning the Syriac Eastern dialect (with Madnhaya or Estrangela script).
If you speak the language, and know how to write it, creating a duolingo Syriac course, is so easy that a 13 year old can do it! (The minimum age required is 13).
 You can apply to the Incubator here : http://incubator.duolingo.com/apply

*Extra- Duolingo has increased the number of Irish speakers, TWICE the number of Ireland's POPULATION! - The same can happen for Syriac!!!
Feel free to ask me any questions, and if you speak the Eastern Dialect, or at least know it, the WORLD NEEDS YOU!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:59:01 PM by Român »

An ethnic Romanian learning Assyrian

Offline elevated

Re: Possibly the BEST Syriac Aramaic Language learning resource?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »
I've used the app before. It's a good idea, definitely. Unfortunately, I probably can't contribute, but I'm sure people like zurnaci can.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:25:55 PM by elevated »

Offline Asshur

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 04:43:15 AM »
Aren't you the guy I meet at youtube comments xD
I am Ashurbanipal, the great king, the mighty king, king of the universe, king of Assyria, king of the four quarters of the world; offspring of the loins of Esarhaddon, king of Assyria, viceroy of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad; grandson of Sennacherib, king of the universe, king of Assyria.

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 04:43:15 AM »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
I do like how Wikipedia describes the Assyrian language. It gets all in-depth and analytic. It's good for starters. Not to mention, the editors are Assyrians like yourself and I.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_Neo-Aramaic
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »
Learning Swedish and Spanish on the website, it's amazing I understand both languages 50X more  :biggrin:

Offline Assyrian_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »
Thanks a lot Roman!

I have forwarded this to Nineb Lamassus facebookpage, hopefully he will see it!

Offline Etain

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »
memrise.com is a good resource for learning any language.Only problem is there isn't a lot on Syriac

Syriac/Aramaic Dictionary

Started by MiguelBoard Assyrian Language Center

Replies: 0
Views: 1598
Last post October 20, 2005, 05:54:28 PM
by Miguel
The 2nd Syriac Language Conference held in Ankawa - Arbil

Started by SalemBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 3
Views: 1357
Last post September 16, 2006, 07:27:27 AM
by Salem