Author Topic: Assyrian keyboard?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
Assyrian keyboard?
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:34:54 AM »
So I already have Syriac installed in my computer. But the thing is, it's the Estrangela (middle-Aramaic script). I really can't understand it as I had grown up to Eastern Syriac (which is the contemporary Aramaic/Assyrian script).

I want the Eastern Syriac keyboard (if anyone can provide its download link?). Most Assyrians use the Eastern Syriac script (Madnahaya). It's kinda unfortunate that they only have Western Syriac script (estrangela) when most of us understand the contemporary one.  :confused:

ܐܝܐ ܡܧܕܖܠܐ؟
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:26:11 PM by privatebenjamin »

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
Re: Assyrian keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »
So I already have Syriac installed in my computer. But the thing is, it's the Estrangela (middle-Aramaic script). I really can't understand it as I've grew up to Eastern Syriac (which is a contemporary Aramaic script).

I want the Eastern Syriac keyboard (if anyone can provide its download link?). Most Assyrians use the Eastern Syriac script (Madnahaya). It's kinda unfortunate that they only have Western Syriac script (estrangela).  :confused:

ܐܝܐ ܡܧܕܖܠܐ؟

wrong forum derp

but here u go - http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=44298.0

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
So I already have Syriac installed in my computer. But the thing is, it's the Estrangela (middle-Aramaic script). I really can't understand it as I've grew up to Eastern Syriac (which is a contemporary Aramaic script).

I want the Eastern Syriac keyboard (if anyone can provide its download link?). Most Assyrians use the Eastern Syriac script (Madnahaya). It's kinda unfortunate that they only have Western Syriac script (estrangela):confused:

ܐܝܐ ܡܧܕܖܠܐ؟

You may already have Eastern fonts installed on your computer and it's just a question of enabling them based on your operating system and web browser.

You have Windows, right? Did you do something similar to the steps outlined on this page to enable Syriac typing?

Also, you seem to be confusing the scripts, of which there are three: Eastern, Western, and Estrangela. Western script is distinct from Estrangela (which is closer to Eastern than it is to Western, actually). There's also the option of just learning all three scripts. It isn't that difficult to learn the other two when you know one already. :)

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »

Offline Cascade

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
wrong forum derp

but here u go - http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=44298.0

Thank you. That was very dorky of you.

You may already have Eastern fonts installed on your computer and it's just a question of enabling them based on your operating system and web browser.

You have Windows, right? Did you do something similar to the steps outlined on this page to enable Syriac typing?

Also, you seem to be confusing the scripts, of which there are three: Eastern, Western, and Estrangela. Western script is distinct from Estrangela (which is closer to Eastern than it is to Western, actually). There's also the option of just learning all three scripts. It isn't that difficult to learn the other two when you know one already. :)

Yes, I done those steps. But I only see Estrangela as the script. Btw, I have Windows 7.

And no, I'm actually learning the Eastern script (which I find the easiest).
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:12:43 PM »
Thank you. That was very dorky of you.

u have to admit it's helpful ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline esz

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »
Just follow these directions:

1. Install the Meltho fonts as they will get you all of the scripts: http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/resources/fonts.html
2. Enable Syriac for Windows: http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/resources/typing-syriac/syriac-windows.html

Offline Român

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 12:49:07 PM »

Hey Carlo, what do you mean by "enabling" the fonts...? (where would this section be found?) thanks :)
An ethnic Romanian learning Assyrian

Offline Asshur

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
Hey Carlo, what do you mean by "enabling" the fonts...? (where would this section be found?) thanks :)
if you want to learn to speak fluintly you should get into an university where it teaches Syriac or just travel down to a monastery in Mesopotamia (I recommend Turkey) to learn fast.
I am Ashurbanipal, the great king, the mighty king, king of the universe, king of Assyria, king of the four quarters of the world; offspring of the loins of Esarhaddon, king of Assyria, viceroy of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad; grandson of Sennacherib, king of the universe, king of Assyria.

Offline Român

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »
if you want to learn to speak fluintly you should get into an university where it teaches Syriac or just travel down to a monastery in Mesopotamia (I recommend Turkey) to learn fast.

I wish I could, that would have to be in 5 or something years since I am still in high school... It's not only that I want to learn Syriac, but I have spoken to some Assyrians that want to contribute to creating the online course on duolingo, I was just asking the question because I have installed the Western Serto script to replace Estrangela Eddesa, and I would also like to know if there is another way to get the different fonts then to download them (since Carlo said that we just have to "enable" the fonts.... :)
An ethnic Romanian learning Assyrian

Offline Carlo

• Mid-Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »

That's explained in my post itself (follow the link):

Offline Cascade

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »
I wasn't too knowledgeable a few years ago when I made this thread.

In short, I want the Madnhaya script for the computer keyboard input. I installed the Meltho program. The thing is, its Madnkhaya form only works in Word Processor. Not outside of it (like on internet browsers). I want to type in that font here too.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 01:19:34 PM »
I wasn't too knowledgeable a few years ago when I made this thread.

In short, I want the Madnhaya script for the computer keyboard input. I installed the Meltho program. The thing is, its Madnkhaya form only works in Word Processor. Not outside of it (like on internet browsers). I want to type in that font here too.

this is the standard layout for the keyboard -> http://www.assyrianvoice.net/assyrian-keyboard.htm

a QWERTY style keyboard with Syriac just isn't practical but it will take time to remember the new keys of course.

Who is the Best Assyrian Keyboard Player at the Moment?

Started by ASHOORBoard Music & Arts

Replies: 10
Views: 5802
Last post January 30, 2010, 01:42:57 AM
by hanagoota
Guy please I want to write in Assyrian in my keyboard how I do it,

Started by ATORAYA1986Board Assyrian Language Center

Replies: 11
Views: 7892
Last post October 05, 2009, 10:48:00 AM
by Carlo
Free Online Virtual Assyrian Keyboard