Author Topic: Should Assyrians date/marry non-Assyrians or only Assyrians?  (Read 386 times)

Offline SonOfAssyria

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
Should Assyrians date/marry non-Assyrians or only Assyrians?
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
What is everyone's opinion on this? My opinion is that we (well me at least because I cannot force anyone to do otherwise) only marry/date/have kids with Assyrians as there is such a small amount of us left and we should keep the legacy going. I have to admit however there are some non-Assyrian girls that are pretty amazing...

"Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood." ~ Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Mr. Tambourine Man

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
Re: Should Assyrians date/marry non-Assyrians or only Assyrians?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »
I've had strong views on this in the past. Endogamy has kept us alive and has allowed us to retain our identity - one that is being slowly lost in a globalising world.

I do believe marrying Assyrians is far more prudent for posterity's sake but marrying someone of similar ethnicity and ensuring that the language, culture and traditions are adequately passed on is a second-best I suppose. However, this always comes with the risk, and which often ends up being the case, of the children not being as nationalistic as they should or otherwise could be.
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline SonOfAssyria

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »
I've had strong views on this in the past. Endogamy has kept us alive and has allowed us to retain our identity - one that is being slowly lost in a globalising world.

I do believe marrying Assyrians is far more prudent for posterity's sake but marrying someone of similar ethnicity and ensuring that the language, culture and traditions are adequately passed on is a second-best I suppose. However, this always comes with the risk, and which often ends up being the case, of the children not being as nationalistic as they should or otherwise could be.

I have the exact same opinion.
"Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood." ~ Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 11:09:26 PM »
I'm softly Assyrian only. I'll explain

I personally think Assyrians should only marry Assyrians but I know we all have that one (or more) person(s) in the family who don't want to.

However, from my life experience, most of my family are living happy lives with an Assyrian spouse while a small amount have non-Assyrian spouses and we welcome them.

I would do Assyrian only because I don't want to have a conflict with my wife concerning Assyrianism stuff.

Personally I don't mind Armenians because they're very close to us, they're like non-Semitic version of us.
Same with Maronayeh, Copts, and Arab Christians. beyond these 4 groups, I would have to say no.

Looking at the big picture and the long run, we're Assyrian because our parents are Assyrian. Our mom or dad could've married someone non-Assyrian but did not.

Another thing is whether the couple will have kids or not.
My uncle married a Cuban woman but he doesn't want to have kids, so we all just accepted the marriage and welcomed her in our family anyway.

There's alot of variables at play concerning this case
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:11:02 PM by mrzurnaci »

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
Overall, it doesn't bother me that much. But I still do feel a bit discomfited when I see Assyrians marrying people of completely different races (Asians, blacks, etc). They have such strong genes that their children, unfortunately, barely look Assyrian.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline SonOfAssyria

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:28:40 AM »
Overall, it doesn't bother me that much. But I still do feel a bit discomfited when I see Assyrians marrying people of completely different races (Asians, blacks, etc). They have such strong genes that their children, unfortunately, barely look Assyrian.

Yeah :/

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »

Assyrians marrying blacks is wrong because it declines IQ of the next generation, biology says.

Offline SonOfAssyria

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:47:47 AM »
Assyrians marrying blacks is wrong because it declines IQ of the next generation, biology says.

lol woahh okay then..

Offline Crocodile Bani

• Special Member
  • Formerly Moja Moja
    • Bani Pera
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 11:44:28 PM »
I prefer a Russian MILF
Back in Darwin for the 2nd time in my life.  Originally from Sydney (Fairfield area), lived in Vanuatu, Japan (twice), Thailand and Darwin once previously.  Western Sydney Wanderers fan as well as Parramatta Eels.  Veteran of 3 World Cups (*1994, 2006 and 2010).

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 01:56:18 AM »
I prefer a Russian MILF

I wonder if you can get those mail-order.
''An anthropologist squeezed my arm, just for the satisfaction of having touched the flesh and blood of an Assyrian.'' - Ivan Kakovitch

Offline Cascade

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:10:11 AM »
Assyrians don't have the highest IQs anyway. Some blacks can easily be a mental match with us.

I'd be worried more if we were Asian though.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 03:40:39 AM »
Assyrians don't have the highest IQs anyway. Some blacks can easily be a mental match with us.

I'd be worried more if we were Asian though.

Assyrians have a propensity for academia but are just lazy and plus, this victim mentality and this feeling of futility, felt especially in the diaspora, means that Assyrians don't apply themselves.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
Assyrians have a propensity for academia but are just lazy and plus, this victim mentality and this feeling of futility, felt especially in the diaspora, means that Assyrians don't apply themselves.

victim mentality and feeling of futility is a flaw that's passed down from our older generations who have islamic influence.

It is said, those who are pessimistic will go "what's the point?" instead of working to make the situation or environment better.

If we don't actively work to get our rights, we never will get them...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:00:13 PM by mrzurnaci »

Offline Etain

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:44:56 AM »
Small diaspora communities inevitably assimilate and out marry. Maybe it won't happen for decades with Assyrians, but I don't know how you stop it.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 08:42:01 PM »
Small diaspora communities inevitably assimilate and out marry. Maybe it won't happen for decades with Assyrians, but I don't know how you stop it.

True.

And welcome back. Missed you, oddly. Lol.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:07:01 PM »

we stop it through community + pressure. There's a very good reason why ethnoreligious groups survive for thousands of years.
There'd be no Assyrian community if Assyrians married outside alot.

like I've said before, it's not a big deal if the odd Assyrian or few marry outside but the number of Assyrian-NonAssyrian marriages shouldn't be more than 10% of the community.

People who strongly believe Assyrians should only marry other Assyrians

Started by Assyrian NationalistBoard Serious Topics and Discussions

Replies: 27
Views: 2964
Last post April 13, 2017, 02:11:44 AM
by Cascade
Why are we expected to marry other Assyrians?

Started by PierceThePatriarchyBoard Serious Topics and Discussions

Replies: 53
Views: 3633
Last post May 15, 2016, 04:24:48 AM
by Anid
Assyrians For Truth & Jusice Program Today

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 87
Views: 13228
Last post March 01, 2006, 08:10:50 PM
by Senator_Danavi
Ethnic Cleansing of Assyrians Continues in Iraq

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 1250
Last post March 01, 2007, 04:07:56 PM
by Free_Assyria
Assyrians in North America have an Accent. Those in Australia & Europe don't!

Started by ASHOORBoard Chit Chat

Replies: 44
Views: 7886
Last post June 13, 2015, 12:25:15 AM
by Cascade