Author Topic: What are your thoughts on evolution?  (Read 7181 times)

Offline Cascade

• Many waters cannot quench love.
Re: What are your thoughts on evolution?
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »
Domanic. Thanks! It's great to be here to see Assyrians exchanging ideas and staying connected!

Albeit it's probably unsurprising to you, I have not found enough evidence to believe in a god. Believe me; I've searched. I've searched in every nook and cranny. I am earnestly willing to believe a god exists if I find a strong enough case for it. Unfortunately, the evidence for such a case is scarce at best and hypocritically, most of it's most staunch advocates seem to be so pathetically lazy that they have never bothered making any genuine investigation in the first place.

And yes, I'm an Assyrian: my father is Saranite and my mother is Nochi.
I never asked, are you more atheist or agnostic? Where will you be on the agnostic to atheist "scale"?
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Offline Sharukinu

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
I never asked, are you more atheist or agnostic? Where will you be on the agnostic to atheist "scale"?

Agnostic. I am open to accepting the supernatural only if evidence favours it.

It seems that religious belief is often viewed as a spectrum with atheism situated towards one extreme, and faith on the other. The problem is that often by validating one particular religious belief, it disproves another. So each case for any religions that I've thought about, varies. In all cases, I am convinced that they are most likely not true, but I remain more than willing to change my position if the evidence changes.

I'd also like to mention the below.

I think the factor of "risk" taking/avoiding is often conflated with belief. Someone may have very little belief in a religion that promises eternal punishment for disbelief, or eternal bliss for belief. Let's suppose one's belief is at a level of 10% in such a religion. Following the logic of Pascal's Wager, one might practice that religion (even though they think it is only 10% likely to be true) just to avoid eternal damnation, and to gain eternal bliss. I think this phenomenon greatly affects people throughout the world. It is embedded in our minds.

On the other hand, the human brain is generally not designed to fathom infinite quantities. So people aren't very good at understanding the notion of infinite reward/punishment. This makes us respond to problems in a way that suits the real world. For example, if a man told you that he is selling infinitely delicious chocolate, you would naturally presume he is using hyperbole. However, if your brain even considered that there is 1% chance he is telling the truth, you will automatically do anything to get that chocolate, seeing as infinite reward is always worth the risk if only finite loss is the consequence. So these sorts of inifinite quantities don't make sense to us, to our benefit in the real world.

“It is pleasant, when the sea is high and the winds are dashing the waves about, to watch from the shores the struggles of another.”

― Titus Livy

Offline Cascade

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 09:28:28 PM »
Agnostic. I am open to accepting the supernatural only if evidence favours it.

It seems that religious belief is often viewed as a spectrum with atheism situated towards one extreme, and faith on the other. The problem is that often by validating one particular religious belief, it disproves another. So each case for any religions that I've thought about, varies. In all cases, I am convinced that they are most likely not true, but I remain more than willing to change my position if the evidence changes.

I personally feel the same way too.
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

Assyrian Voice Forum

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 09:28:28 PM »

Offline Kelba

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
Evolution is real...it's not really debatable.

Also, acknowledging evolution and believing in God are not mutually exclusive. You can do both

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 01:29:24 AM »

Also, acknowledging evolution and believing in God are not mutually exclusive. You can do both

If you want sure, but then again there is limited or no evidence based on the existence of a god.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 02:59:08 AM »

Glad that another person accepts evolution.

And yes, you can acknowledge evolution and believe in god. There are a lot of scientists or evolutionists who believe in god (although many of them are deistic than monotheistic).

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 12:01:48 AM »
my thought on evolution is that it's real, right down to the DNA too.

Offline Assyrian Nationalist

• hurr durr
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2016, 05:11:17 AM »
I'm reading one of Richard Dawkin's books and apparently, the only European country that has majority of people that beleive in Creationism is Turkey. lol.

Offline rbenyamino

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 02:53:45 AM »
This is a refreshing topic, and I'm pleased to see that everyone is discussing it in a friendly manner. One experiment taught in early biochemistry is the Miller–Urey experiment--two scientists set up a reaction containing water, methane, ammonia, hydrogen, heat, and electricity, and they were able to produce a few building blocks of life within a week. This experiment was simulating earth's pre-life conditions. It led to other experiments, showing that the DNA building blocks could also be produced by simple organic compounds. Now if you give those reactions enough time, say 750 million years to basically allow the compounds to try all sorts of conformations, then you might get a couple single cell organisms out of it. Those single cell organisms will interact to make multi celled organisms, and then organelles, etc. etc. and that is how evolution works. It happens at all levels, not exclusive to life. It's trial and error until something works, and then it improves upon itself, either by external factors or by accident. This happens over and over again, over a long period of time. Mrzurnaci asked, how does DNA work, how does a helicase know to turn and unzip DNA...you can turn to Molecular biologists and Biochemists for those answers. These are century old questions. Helicase, for example, being an enzyme, is a completely understood molecule. Enzymologist understand the role of every amino acid in its chain and why and how it recognizes the DNA...and that's just one enzyme out of thousands with various specific activities. To answer the question of why, say, enzymes are working--that question can be answered by looking at the evolution of protein structures and folding. These are all areas of studies with a lot of answers. Today, evolution is utilized in laboratories to generate better variants and strains; computers can make specific DNA strands; cells are made artificially; specific genes can be targeted and turned off. Science is very exciting right now, evolution is very real, but despite how advanced anything becomes, people should never feel intimidated to ask the most fundamental questions. If a scientist can't explain it, it's because he doesn't understand it him(her)self (This is Einstein's and even Richard Feynman's belief). One thing to keep in mind is what a biologist named Beckin said: "Everything is everywhere." In the case of evolution, natural selection can select for pretty much any trait. I also like what Nietzsche said, "There are two types of people, those who want to believe, and those who want to know." And one piece of advice that has helped me in becoming a better scientist: it's okay to say, "I don't know."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:57:57 AM by rbenyamino »

Offline Cascade

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 04:38:53 AM »
I'm reading one of Richard Dawkin's books and apparently, the only European country that has majority of people that beleive in Creationism is Turkey. lol.
I wouldn't laugh.

To be fair, if we had a country the results would look like Turkey's anyway (with creationism winning at over 90%). Lol.

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
I wouldn't laugh.

To be fair, if we had a country the results would look like Turkey's anyway (with creationism winning at over 90%). Lol.

makes sense but it's also ironic (I'm probably using irony incorrectly here) considering the Biblical creation story of Genesis was more so greatly influenced from the Assyrio-Babylonian creation story "Enuma Eleesh"

Offline Cascade

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
makes sense but it's also ironic (I'm probably using irony incorrectly here) considering the Biblical creation story of Genesis was more so greatly influenced from the Assyrio-Babylonian creation story "Enuma Eleesh"
Yes, and it's blatant plagiarism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panbabylonism

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2016, 10:10:14 PM »
Yes, and it's blatant plagiarism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panbabylonism

the fact that it is gives us credibility to say it's ours lol. At least I can safely say that we believe in our own beliefs lmao.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 08:28:25 AM »
Again, would want to see more takes on this subject matter from the newer users (if they'd wish to contribute in this thread).

Offline Nemrud

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
It may seem surrealistic and crazy to think that humans looked like apes a million years ago. But so far, evidence does point out that we, in fact, did look more like a chimp than a human in those times - NOT that we were chimps; We just share an ancestor with them, but that ancestor did resemble an ape much more (if that makes sense).

Now for those who don't believe in evolution, what do you think the fossil that look human, but still maintain their ape features (i.e. homo erectus)? Are they some subhuman animals who resembled us and died out, or just plain "fossil forgeries" made to make people believe in evolution? What about the most recent homos, the neanderthals (who looked more like us)? What do you make of them?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this subject matter.

Actually no, its not crazy to think humans looked like apes becuase if you see now when humans are born they are not perfect, some grow a lot of hair on their faces, some have a tail, some have crazy things on their body, some are missing arms and toes etc we are not perfect so that we looked like apes a million years ago is very true. I beileve that and so long noone can prove its wrong its the truth. They have dna evidence, even dna that all creatures share with each other, we were probably fish in the beginning then we developed to have common ancestor to apes , thats why we share most dna with chimpanzee, with maybe 98 procent , and we also have 4-6 procent dna with neandertails , which means we had sex with them.

Offline Cascade

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »
Yep, and you can see how embryos of many animals (including us) look pretty much the same:

Offline mrzurnaci

• Special Member
    • Zurnaya's Youtube
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »
Yep, and you can see how embryos of many animals (including us) look pretty much the same:

don't forget DNA in general, everything living has DNA

Offline SonOfAssyria

• www.AssyrianVoice.net
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2018, 03:08:25 AM »
I'd say I believe in Micro Evolution but not Macro Evolution.
"Their enemies had realized their national potential long before the Assyrians themselves. The enemy was not afraid of good farmers, good parents, good church-going parishioners...the enemy was afraid of Assyrians wrapped in nationhood." ~ Mount Semele, Ivan Kakovitch

10 Thoughts to Ponder in 2006!

Started by MalekthaA2RETABoard Jokes and Games

Replies: 2
Views: 1040
Last post February 27, 2006, 09:44:52 PM
by BeLLaMaFIa
A few thoughts about getting married!

Started by .CaNdLe.Board Jokes and Games

Replies: 3
Views: 1023
Last post January 10, 2006, 12:21:01 AM
by linda
World Juniors!...thoughts and predictions.

Started by ultoMaBoard Sports

Replies: 5
Views: 1370
Last post December 26, 2005, 06:57:00 PM
by ultoMa
Do you believe in EVOLUTION?

Started by babylonxBoard Classic Threads

Replies: 160
Views: 33286
Last post February 13, 2006, 12:24:47 AM
by ASHOOR
i want to share my thoughts for those who dont know me

Started by sydneydudeBoard Culture & History

Replies: 6
Views: 1443
Last post February 16, 2006, 05:13:15 PM
by sydneydude
Templates: 4: index (default), Ads (default), Display (default), SimTopics (default).
Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, simtopics_above, main, simtopics_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 8: index+Modifications.english (default), index+Modifications.english-utf8 (default), markItUp.english (default), markItUp.english-utf8 (default), SimTopics.english (default), SimTopics.english-utf8 (default), Ads.english (default), Ads.english-utf8 (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 28 - 912KB. (show)
Queries used: 26.

[Show Queries]